Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Your game(s) of the year 2017

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

Another year is coming to its dramatic close. The ground is shaking, fire is falling from the sky and dogs are tap dancing on the moon. 

Okay, maybe not that dramatic, but it has been an interesting year for games. Lot's of new releases, and quite a few highly acclaimed ones. As with each year and its gaming releases, everyone has their personal favorites in that year. Let's dive into a positive gaming topic and discuss all of our favorite releases in 2017. :) 

I think my favorite games of this year are Forza 7 and Killing Floor 2, both for Xbox One. Both had some rough launches, but now they are patched up and working gloriously. Forza 7 is endless fun and I have already fully completed the career mode. Now I love doing multi class races in Free Play and it just a joy to play. Killing Floor 2 finally made its Xbox One debut this year and while it had a very rough start with crashes and other issues, it is now working well and is one of the most fun FPS games I have ever played. It is extremely mindless, but a blast.

• Brohoof 1

my favourites are gonna be breath of the wild, and splatoon 2 for the Nintendo switch, and destiny 2. destiny 2 and splatoon 2 being tied for my favourite games

I will have to see about starwars battlefront 2 though, the beta was awesome

I'm going to have to say Breath of the Wild, it was HUGE. SM Odyssey scored as high as Zelda, but I haven't seen the comparable impact it's had. Cuphead had a huge impact but I don't know if it's a "big enough" game if I'm making sense there, like companywise or something. But another CoD just came out :/ plus there's still Battlefront 2 for major games. I've heard lots of good reviews for ACO but I haven't actually "heard" anything about it

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Celli said:

Oh, I almost forgot! Metroid Samus Returns.

@HeroSparks A game doesn't have to be big to count. It just needs to have an impact and be received very well.

I am not even meaning that. I am meaning anyone's personal games of the year. It doesn't have be big at all or have had any kind of impact. Just enjoyed by the person playing it. :) That's what matters.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

I am not even meaning that. I am meaning anyone's personal games of the year. It doesn't have be big at all or have had any kind of impact. Just enjoyed by the person playing it. :) That's what matters.

True.

• Brohoof 1

Horizon Zero Dawn was amazing. And is my game of the year. Solid story and great gameplay I am gonna get the DLC for sure.

I was a bit let down by both Zelda and Mario.

Zelda had a pretty empty open world with barely any music and all the dungeons were basically the same.

Mario was pretty good but just not as great as Mario Galaxy again i missed the solid music like in Galaxy and i think the game was too easy.

I had to look up which games I played this year that actually came out this year... and there were hardly any. The only one that springs to mind is Battle Brothers, and although it was good it wasn't exceptional (releasing some free updates is a good sign though, so it may yet become exceptional.) I'm just incredibly reluctant to buy a game new when a year or two down the line it will have a 60%+ discount on it* (and there will be plenty of reviews, gameplay videos and so on available online.)

Still, there are some games that I've heard good things about and will definitely be buying as and when they have a large enough discount:

1. Total War Warhammer II - an interesting design for a sequel where it acts as a massive plug-in to Total War Warhammer with a huge map expansion and new factions, as well as its stand alone content. Although the first game didn't quite hit the mark, my hope is that with more of the interesting factions (such as Skaven) and a world campaign that is to all intents and purposes endless will really do justice to the Total War and Warhammer brands. 

2. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - having only bought The New Order (2014) this year, I'm a bit late to the (Nazi-shooting) party, but I'll probably pick this one up sooner. Along with DOOM (2016, which I also only got this year) I've developed a taste for these types of FPS games.

3. Dishonoured: Death of the Outsider - having enjoyed the original but heard rather more mixed reactions to its sequel, I passed on Dishonoured II. Death of the Outsider, though, seems to have a better story and I'm interested in where it goes (ever since I did a low-violence no-runes run of the original I've been itching to take down that black-eyed troublemaker, and Daud is an interesting character.)

4. Sniper Elite 4 - I've ummed and erred about this series ever since 2, and I nearly bought 3 this year before reading up on some technical issues that would probably have affected me, so I gave it a pass. Perhaps 4 will be the one - they've certainly refined the formula in each game, and I like the premise so it's a case of when rather than if I buy one of them.

5. Prey - it sounds interesting. I've been 'spoiled' with regards to the plot, which I can't say impressed me too much (there was an Extra Credits episode on it, and although they sang its praises I can't say that what they liked about it was of interest to me) but the gameplay is supposed to be quite good as well. It may need to wait for quite a heavy discount, but it's on my radar.

6. Steel Division: Normandy 44 - another Eugen Systems RTS. Speaks for itself really; I have all of their Wargame series, which did large scale Cold War battle simulations really quite well, and this is basically the same system but in Normandy in 1944. Scout the enemy, strike when they make a risky move, route or destroy their units and seize ground while they regroup.

I suppose it's a bit premature to declare these my games of the year before I've even played them - perhaps I ought to decide on my best of 2014...

*to put this fully in perspective, I am currently enjoying playing through Call of Duty 2. Not WWII, 2. I hadn't played CoD or CoD 2, so when they went on sale to celebrate the release of WWII I picked them up instead. Projecting forwards, I should expect to buy Call of Duty WWII between the years of 2031 and 2033, so I'll give you my opinions then.

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon
Added Steel Division
  • Brohoof 1

I haven't played any of the games that have come out this year at all... :/

Though, based on what I've seen my favorites this year are probably Super Mario Odyssey, Mario and Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, Sonic Mania and Night in the Woods. Super Mario Odyssey looks absolutely amazing and seems to be a blast, though it seems a bit too easy. Mario and Rabbids is seemingly an intriguing game, though it doesn't really have much of a plot. Sonic Mania looks like probably the best Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2. Night in the Woods mainly for aspects that AREN'T gameplay (because it really lacks there), though I like almost everything else about it quite a bit.

Edited by Nerdy Luigi

Breath of the Wild is the best game I have played in many, many years, so it kind of obviously wins this for me.

Super Mario Odyssey might have a shot, I don't know. However, I do not have a Switch so I can't play it.

It has been a sparse year for games on the Xbox One, but honestly, there aren’t a whole lot of games I am interested in playing. My most played games this year has been Dead By Daylight. At this point, I am burnt out of the game, but I might come back for a bit when they add Freddy Krueger. I recently got into Friday the 13th The Game and that’s what I am currently addicted to. And last, but not least Life is Strange: Before The Storm. The last episode comes out in December so I am looking forward to that. 

Edited by joanro

My top games of this year would have to be Persona 5, a game I have been waiting YEARS for and was everything I imagined it would be and more, and The Surge, a Sci-Fi Soulslike that I would say is my second favorite Souls game next to Bloodborne.

NieR: Automata. 

Even in its clumsy, super glitchy state (that is patched by unofficial patch) it is far superior to any other game I played this year that was released this year. On higher difficulty it was hard, music was very varied, well written and overall great to listen to, atmosphere was amazing (amusement park <3 ) and story had so many inpredictable twists for someone as unfamiliar with japanese gaming as I am. The game played with my emotions hard, at some times it wrecked me and broke my heart, at other times it was so heartwarming. And I love the idea with 

Spoiler

sacrificing Your in-game progress during the ending in order to help other people achieve "true" ending, which is extremely hard to reach

The game was a glitchfest definitely. But despite that I had a real fun when playing it and finishing the game gave me the feel of fullfilment, that's pretty rare now.

Ever since I've gotten new PC I've been following what's coming up for the platform.

I was waiting with anticipation for Warhammer 40k III but it turned out to be a gigantic disappointment. Prey is supposedly good, same as The Evil Within 2, but I didn't have a chance to check it yet. So only 2 positions for me.

1. NieR: Automata

Absolute gem for me and my preferred gameplay type. Action packed, fine story (even if overly anime-ish), very nice controls (from perspective of person who grew up on titles like Legacy of Cain: Soul Reaver) and MUSIC. I dare you to go launch NieR: Automata Full Musical Experience about 6 hours of OST which is an absolute pearl.

2. Destiny 2 - this game was hyped and brought great expectations. Final result? It's fair. It lacks content currently, but that's being fixed. It only just launched for PC and a lot is being added and released. HOWEVER! The game is designed on a weekly basis. It means that once you finish your assignments, you can play for fun with your friends or do something else without fear of falling behind other players. It's major plus for the game. Also, weapons are nice, same as gameplay. Graphics in certain locations are mind blowing. We'll see how it evolves.

If we're counting DLC, The Ringed City is an absolute god tier TLC. The +3 rings, the armor sets and weapons, the amazing level/enemy/boss design and the lore significance. This is what DLC done right looks like.

As far as actual games go though, Nintendo objectively has the strongest lineup this year with BotW, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey, and Metroid 2.

My absolute favorite overall release this year is NieR: Automata, by far.

• Brohoof 1

Prey:  This has got to be one of the best games released in years.  Excellent gameplay, a brilliant and immersive story, an interesting a well thought out setting and an open ended gameworld that encourages exploration.  This comes highly recommended to anyone who is a fan of games like Deus Ex or System Shock.  It is just really well done.

2 hours ago, Annie said:

As far as actual games go though, Nintendo objectively has the strongest lineup this year with BotW, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey, and Metroid 2.

Hell yeah, Metroid was great, very much needed breath of fresh air after the last two games in the series...