Jump to content
Banner by ~ SFyr

Convention Discussion Thread!


Rosebuds
 Share

Recommended Posts

Heya. Just thought I should start a new thread.

I am curious! What conventions have all of you attended? Pony, anime, comic, etc. 

And any convention stories to share? post them here, for a good laugh, fright, or cringe even! All in good fun!

Conventions I have attended: Anime Central, Anime Midwest, Midwest Furfest, ColossalCon, Katsucon

Upcoming Cons: ColossalCon

Conventions I plan to go to: Whinny City Con, D23 Expo

Conventions I want to attend: AnthroCon, Biggest Little Furcon, Bronycon


Feel free to use the template below for a reply if any of you wish.

Quote

 

Conventions Attended:

Upcoming Cons

Upcoming Plans:

Convention Wishlist:

 

 

  • Brohoof 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Badges

Just now, BronyNumber42licious said:

I have been to Bronycon for the past 4 years, I think, (I can't even remember), and I'm going this year. The only time I'm happy.

I would love to attend BronyCon someday.

And aww no, I am sure you can find other things to make you smile! There is always something! 

  • Brohoof 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Badges

Some conventions I have attended are: Kotoricon, AnimeNext 2016, BABScon last year and this year, as well as Bronycon for the past 2 years. I'm hoping I get to go to Bronycon again this year. Some conventions that I'm trying to play on going to in the future are: Everfree Northwest and Otakon. 

My favorite convention that I've ever gone to was last year's Bronycon. Last year wasn't exactly the best and a lot of things had happened. Bronycon 2017 was probably the most memorable convention to me, in my opinion. A week before the convention was going to happen, I lost my dad, due to lung cancer. I wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do on going to the convention. However, before my dad passed away, he told me his final wishes for me. One was to be the man of the house while he was gone and he wanted me to go to Bronycon and have the most fun I could have. Even in his final moments, he put the happiness of other's over his own. Even though he wasn't a big fan of anime, MLP, video games or stuff like that, I promised that I would win a tournament in his honor. During the convention, I was in the vendor hall and I bought a Starlight Glimmer dog tag necklace. This was right before the Naruto Storm 4 tournament and I felt really nervous. Right before I started my matches, I held the necklace close and said, 'Please guide me and please show me the way.' During the tournament, it felt like my father was watching over me from Heaven. It also felt like Starlight was sitting right next to me and guided me through the tournament to victory. I managed to win and got a ticket for next year, but the prize and glory didn't matter to me. I wanted to do something special for my father and I hope he would be proud of me. Throughout the rest of the convention, it felt like my dad and Starlight were with me. It was during that convention that I knew Starlight was one of my favorite characters. It felt like she was always with me, but I never realized it until that time. I even got a special commission picture made, that depicts that moment in the convention.

25994772_10208864555806178_7916876520371
(Commission drawing made by, @ambergerr)

Edited by Dynamo Pad
  • Brohoof 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


28 minutes ago, Rosebuds said:

Anime Central

What a coincidence. I just got back from there about 24 hours ago. 

Conventions Attended: Acen (x11). Bronycon (x5). Ponyville Cider/Oktoberfest (x4). Oconomacon '08. G-Fest '05. Star Trek Las Vegas '99 (?)

Upcoming Cons: Bronycon.

Upcoming Plans: Ponyville Cider/Oktoberfest

Convention Wishlist: Midwest Furfest. Whinny City. Fur Squared. 

 

As for stories? 

 

Maybe some other time :toldya:

Edited by Denim&Venom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Badges

I went to Ponycon NYC in Brooklyn 2016. It was a lot of fun, had great guests, and I did yoga with Ingrid Neilson, and took some voiceover acting workshops which is why I went in the first place. Plus it was 20 mins from my house, so, no brainier.

It was cold as hell, wetting record lows and the convention ended in a snowstorm.

 

Only convention of any kind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


14 minutes ago, Dynamo Pad said:

Some conventions I have attended are: Kotoricon, AnimeNext 2016, BABScon last year and this year, as well as Bronycon for the past 2 years. I'm hoping I get to go to Bronycon again this year. Some conventions that I'm trying to play on going to in the future are: Everfree Northwest and Otakon. 

My favorite convention that I've ever gone to was last year's Bronycon. Last year wasn't exactly the best and a lot of things had happened. Bronycon 2017 was probably the most memorable convention to me, in my opinion. A week before the convention was going to happen, I lost my dad, due to lung cancer. I wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do on going to the convention. However, before my dad passed away, he told me his final wishes for me. One was to be the man of the house while he was gone and he wanted me to go to Bronycon and have the most fun I could have. Even in his final moments, he put the happiness of other's over his own. Even though he wasn't a big fan of anime, MLP, video games or stuff like that, I promised that I would win a tournament in his honor. During the convention, I was in the vendor hall and I bought a Starlight Glimmer dog tag necklace. This was right before the Naruto Storm 4 tournament and I felt really nervous. Right before I started my matches, I held the necklace close and said, 'Please guide me and please show me the way.' During the tournament, it felt like my father was watching over me from Heaven. It also felt like Starlight was sitting right next to me and guided me through the tournament to victory. I managed to win and got a ticket for next year, but the prize and glory didn't matter to me. I wanted to do something special for my father and I hope he would be proud of me. Throughout the rest of the convention, it felt like my dad and Starlight were with me. It was during that convention that I knew Starlight was one of my favorite characters. It felt like she was always with me, but I never realized it until that time. I even got a special commission picture made, that depicts that moment in the convention.

25994772_10208864555806178_7916876520371
(Commission drawing made by, @ambergerr)

aaahhhhh this is such a sad yet heartfelt story! I am very happy that you found some kind of joy in the face of the shadow of death looming over you. losing a loved one is never easy, and the fact that you did something for him and went to the convention anyway, winning the tournament in his honor...it was a very noble thing to do, and you found strength in that. it's amazing what conventions can do. 

 

10 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

What a coincidence. I just got back from there about 24 hours ago. 

Conventions Attended: Acen (x11). Bronycon (x5). Ponyville Cider/Oktoberfest (x4). Oconomacon '08. G-Fest '05. Star Trek Las Vegas '99 (?)

Upcoming Cons: Bronycon.

Upcoming Plans: Ponyville Cider/Oktoberfest

Convention Wishlist: Midwest Furfest. Whinny City. Fur Squared. 

 

As for stories? 

 

Maybe some other time :toldya:

I skipped ACen this year because I am going to ColossalCon next week instead! 

Midwest Furfest is worth attending! I haven't felt so warm and chill at a con! Man i love furries.

aaw man. teasing us with some juicy stories. better follow up soon!

  • Brohoof 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Badges

6 minutes ago, Rosebuds said:

aaahhhhh this is such a sad yet heartfelt story! I am very happy that you found some kind of joy in the face of the shadow of death looming over you. losing a loved one is never easy, and the fact that you did something for him and went to the convention anyway, winning the tournament in his honor...it was a very noble thing to do, and you found strength in that. it's amazing what conventions can do. 

Thank you and I felt like I was able to find strength in that. My dad was a great man and I hope I can be as great as him in the future. I remember going to this year's BABscon and I talked to Kelly Sheridan, Starlight's voice actress. I showed her the drawing and told her everything that had happened. She told me she almost teared up at how touching and heartfelt the story was. It just felt good being able to talk to someone that brings that character to life. I told her thank you for playing a character that gave me hope, when I felt hopeless at times. I agree on how it's amazing on what conventions can do. I love how a convention can somewhat be like a second home for everyone.

Edited by Dynamo Pad
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Just now, Nightmare Terror said:

Haven’t been to any. (Because my cosplay sucks and they are always far away and I don’t have a million dollars to spend on)

cosplay anyway! everyone starts somewhere.

this site is a great resource for finding cons near you! http://animecons.com/events/map.shtml you can even use their locator, by selecting the area in the world you live in.

if you would like to attend a convention, saving up little by little does work. find ways to make it cheaper on you; i.e. be flexible when finding flights or bus rides, try rooming with other people instead of rooming on your own, and even don't bring a lot of cosplay can save you money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Badges

3 minutes ago, Rosebuds said:

cosplay anyway! everyone starts somewhere.

this site is a great resource for finding cons near you! http://animecons.com/events/map.shtml you can even use their locator, by selecting the area in the world you live in.

if you would like to attend a convention, saving up little by little does work. find ways to make it cheaper on you; i.e. be flexible when finding flights or bus rides, try rooming with other people instead of rooming on your own, and even don't bring a lot of cosplay can save you money.

Sorry,but I hate anime.

i was talking about ComicCon. And my cosplay is 100% worthless because.

1.I suck at sewing

2.i suck at carpentry

3.i do not have a lot of cash

4.already made costumes are over 200$ and my mom won’t order stuff like that 

They have Conventions in The Salt Flats?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Badges

12 minutes ago, Nightmare Terror said:

Sorry,but I hate anime.

i was talking about ComicCon. And my cosplay is 100% worthless because.

1.I suck at sewing

2.i suck at carpentry

3.i do not have a lot of cash

4.already made costumes are over 200$ and my mom won’t order stuff like that 

They have Conventions in The Salt Flats?

I dunno what to tell you. If you truly feel like you arent any good at cosplay, then don't do it. There is no shame in ordering cosplay online. 

It sounds like you're still fairly young, maybe underage? (if I am wrong I apologize) But yeah these things take time and rushing it only makes things worse.

 

maybe not exactly in the salt flats, but perhaps surrounding cities. take the map i linked a look.

Edited by Rosebuds
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Badges

I haven't been to any pony cons yet, sadly. The only convention I regularly attend is Conbravo, which I've gone to for the last few years. This year will be my first Cosplaying though, so I've been spending the last few months planning that out and getting all the necessary supplies.  

  • Brohoof 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, PoisonClaw said:

I haven't been to any pony cons yet, sadly. The only convention I regularly attend is Conbravo, which I've gone to for the last few years. This year will be my first Cosplaying though, so I've been spending the last few months planning that out and getting all the necessary supplies.  

it took me a long while to go out of state for conventions! (this also depends on where you live too) but after lots of patience I finally went and it was the best feeling.

also, wise choice. getting materials slowly over time works out well for any cosplayer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Badges

24 minutes ago, Rosebuds said:

I dunno what to tell you. If you truly feel like you arent any good at cosplay, then don't do it. There is no shame in ordering cosplay online. 

It sounds like you're still fairly young, maybe underage? (if I am wrong I apologize) But yeah these things take time and rushing it only makes things worse.

 

maybe not exactly in the salt flats, but perhaps surrounding cities. take the map i linked a look.

I know there’s no shame in ordering online,I’m just saying it’s expensive. But thanks anyways!

ps the Salt Flats thing was a joke

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Badges

1 hour ago, Nightmare Terror said:

Haven’t been to any. (Because my cosplay sucks and they are always far away and I don’t have a million dollars to spend on)

Since when do you have to be in cosplay to go to a convention? I mean, I've been to my fair share of conventions and I've never been in cosplay.

Edited by Yamet
  • Brohoof 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Badges

43 minutes ago, Yamet said:

Since when do you have to be in cosplay to go to a convention? I mean, I've been to my fair share of conventions and I've never been in cosplay.

there are some days in conventions that I just don't feel like coplaying so I bring only one or two, or none.

  • Brohoof 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Badges

Only been to BronyCon in 2016 & 2017, and will be going again this year. :3

Aside from that...need to try another con eventually... XD

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Just now, PathfinderCS said:

Only been to BronyCon in 2016 & 2017, and will be going again this year. :3

Aside from that...need to try another con eventually... XD

one day...I will go to this magical place called Bronycon.

search search search for those cons! I had no idea just the sheer amount of cons I could go to and when i was given the chance to travel for one, I did not hesitate. 

  • Brohoof 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Badges

Just now, Rosebuds said:

one day...I will go to this magical place called Bronycon.

search search search for those cons! I had no idea just the sheer amount of cons I could go to and when i was given the chance to travel for one, I did not hesitate. 

My problem tends to be location and money; tho if I can budget for Baltimore I should be able to anywhere else in theory. XD Would love to try BABSCon or EFNW someday.

  • Brohoof 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I've never been to any convention ever. I think if I do eventually get out to a convention I would go to CanterlotKC held in Kansas City Missouri every year, it's honestly the closest convention I'm interested in attending, though going to a convention like BABScon would be pretty neat too :dash:

Link to comment
Share on other sites


14 minutes ago, King of Canterlot said:

I've never been to any convention ever. I think if I do eventually get out to a convention I would go to CanterlotKC held in Kansas City Missouri every year, it's honestly the closest convention I'm interested in attending, though going to a convention like BABScon would be pretty neat too :dash:

go for it! local cons are a great way to start attending conventions! maybe in the future you can end up making the trip to BABScon~

  • Brohoof 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Badges

Oh boy.  Where to begin when it comes to Conventions?

 

Pony wise, I have been to two, and they are located in Southern California: Pacific PonyCon and Equestria LA(The former in 2016 and 2017.  The latter in 2017 only)

Outside of My Little Pony, I have also been to.

The San Diego Comic Fest.  It's a Small time Comic Book Convention, recommended for the dedicated of Comic Book geeks.  It recently wrapped up another event at the Town and Country Hotel and Convention Center last month

The Anime Conji.  Like the Comic Fest, it's also a small time Convention, focused more on Japanese Anime.  They sometimes bring over guests like Vic Mignogna, Kyle Hebert, Kevin Michael Richardson and even Animaniacs' Jess Harnell.  

Westercon: A Science Fiction Convention that goes around the West Coast states every year.  I went to one in 2015 when it came to San Diego.  I think they won't be here again till around 2022 at least.  They'll be in Denver in the months of July.  So anyone who's a Sci-Fi geek, consider checking it out.

 

And of course, I cannot conclude this list without bringing up two of the more important Comic Book Conventions

Wondercon.  I first started going there in 2012 when it moved to Anaheim.  IT was for 3 days ont he first year, then 1 day from here on out.  I skipped in 2016 because the Anaheim Convention Center was being revamped.  After this year, I think I'm retiring from Wondercon because of the drive up to Anaheim.

And most importantly...

 

The San Diego Comic-Con.  I have been going there since 1999(Skipped 2000 due to stomach cramps).  THe first time that I went all four days was in 2002.  As time progressed, the Comic-Con grew bigger and bigger, and it has gotten more crowded.  But it's still worth it to see many of the guests there.  One day, I am thinking of retiring from Comic-Con mainly because it's becoming too exhaustive.

On a side note, there's suppose to be a Comic-Con Museum coming to Balboa Park.  It's going to take the place of the now defunct Hall of Champions   You can read more about it at https://nonprofitquarterly.org/2018/03/08/comic-con-nonprofit-reveals-plans-new-museum-san-diego/.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...