Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Cadance so utterly disrespected?

ManaMinori

(edited)

A lot of people, pony fans, official FiM show writers, and official FiM comic writers don't really seem to take Cadence seriously. Everyone pretty much treats her like a joke. Out of the 4 Princesses, she seems to have the least character development and onscreen influence, which makes her bland as sliced bread, and in the preview of IDW's latest comic, Tempest Shadow pretty much wonders why Cadence even exists. In the span of 8 ongoing years, we still don't really have any real depth to the meat of her character, but putting that aside- how can everyone just ignore that Cadence-  Mrs. "bland as sliced bread" Pink Pony Princess went hoof to hoof with Tempest, and was the only- the ONLY one who fought back, at least for a moment. Credit where credit is due, her shield spells are second to none to her husband's. Can we not forget that Cadance held an empire in a protection spell against King Sombra for heaven knows how long, while she barely ate and slept? Can we  not forget that she took on a Tatzulwyrm that was exponentially bigger than she was? That's pretty hardcore.

So why is she so utterly disrespected?

Tempest Shadow: (IDW comic MLP Friendship is Magic #67) : Her name is Mi Amore Cadenza. If that name doesn't sound flowery enough, she goes by 'Princess Cadence." As I understand it, she is the Princess of Love. Why love needs a Princess, I couldn't guess."

Tempest Shadow: How do I explain how I feel about Cadence? Have you ever known someone that everyone seems to think is fantastic, but when you talk to them, you can't figure out what the big deal is? Celestia and Luna I get- look at them. They're powerful and intimidating. There's a reason I turned them to stone without trying to fight them. Even Twilight-- I understood the appeal of friendship even at my darkest. It was what I had lost. But Cadence, with her glowing smile and cotton candy colored hair, I just don't-"

So even Tempest can't figure out why she should care about Cadance... just like Hasbro

large.thumb.jpeg.c7d92e3fe8b7246aba841b75114e8d44.jpeg

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, Cadence is not that bad of a character. I completely agree that the way she fought off against the Tatzulwyrm was badass. :yay: I mean, I used to dislike her a lot before I became more of the kind of guy who liked to see the good in every character, but now, I just wish she would get more development. More people would like her if she did, guaranteed. The development Celestia got in Season 7 made her easier to praise than ever.

• Brohoof 2

• The title was changed to Why is Cadance so utterly disrespected?

Can you link me to any recent examples of Princess Cadance hate and disrespect? I thought that died down long ago. Some of her recent appearances seem to have been met with approval by the fandom, and the fans that have her as a visible avatar don't seem to attract negative attention. 

• Brohoof 6

I don't think Princess Cadence is really hated on or necessarily disrespected, I think she just doesn't have enough development like you said, which makes people, ya know, they still like her, but she just doesn't get as much "Love" as the other princess because of her lack of backstory and such. I honestly think that Flurry Heart took a lot of the hate that may have been focused on Cadence, but even Flurry Heat hate had died down in recent years as she's had more screen-time in the show. I also think it not necessarily hate or disinterest that people choose Princesses like Luna and Celestia as their favorites, it's just more so that they seem cooler, like "Luna raises the moon and can go into ponies dreams, that's super cool, she's my favorite princess!"- kinda like that, ya know? Not really hate, more so just liking the traits of the other princesses over Cadence is all :twi:

• Brohoof 3

as a newer member of the comunity,thats the first time i even hear that people don't like her,personaly i loved her debut episode and her recent ones are also nice,she just has tought competition as an alicorn

• Brohoof 2

I personally really like her and wish that she would get more development. She, like Twilight in some ways, is cute and has potential to be quirky and a lovely, optimistic dork. I think what you’re referencing is the complaints that she isn’t as developed as most characters, therefore by default easily falling into what looks like the “Pink Pretty Pony Princess” role. It’s a shame that to some she is portrayed that way, but I see a lot of potential in her character which keeps me, personally, and optimistic fan. :wub:

• Brohoof 1

Why would anyone hate the Princess Cadance. She is such a wonderful character. I know she didn't get enough screen time but her character isn't that undeveloped IMO. 

Along all of her feats, let's not forget that she has the most melodious voice of all four Princesses. 

Again why would anyone hate her at all.

• Brohoof 2

35 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Can you link me to any recent examples of Princess Cadance hate and disrespect? I thought that died down long ago. Some of her recent appearances seem to have been met with approval by the fandom, and the fans that have her as a visible avatar don't seem to attract negative attention. 

her entire existence? Why doesn't she have an actual episode about her? Luna has several. Celestia has some under her belt, now? Twilight has plenty. Where are Cadance's episodes? Three's a Crowd? That was a Discord Kanye west episode. Once Upon a Zeppelin? It didn't even have ponies wanting to hang around her, in spite of whole hordes of pony's being there to fangirl over her (and Twilight), but we just see Twilight's side of the fanfare. The Crystal Empire? Nope- a Sombra Kanye West episode, starring Twilight and friends. A Canterlot Wedding? Nope. Chrysalis Kanye West episode featuring Twilight and friends. We learn NOTHING about Cadence in her own stinkin' wedding episode! She doesn't even make an appearance into the third act of the second 2-parter! I can get behind the excuse that 'it was intended to be a villain episode', but she's been around for over 5 years now. What do we know about her, other than 'she's a good mom' and 'princess of Love', and an adrenaline junkie on the side? How is not allowing her her own episode for once, having reformed villains talk/think down to her in spite of her very scarce adrenaline adventures- one of which involved going horn to crackled horn against the only villain to ever successfully (and most quickly) coup 4 Princesses and bring the Capital of Equestria to its knees, and not disrespect?

Just now, Totally An Admirer said:

Why would anyone hate the Princess Cadance. She is such a wonderful character. I know she didn't get enough screen time but her character isn't that undeveloped IMO. 

Along all of her feats, let's not forget that she has the most melodious voice of all four Princesses. 

Again why would anyone hate her at all.

I never said hate. I said disrespect. Fine line.

• Brohoof 2

34 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

her entire existence? Why doesn't she have an actual episode about her? Luna has several. Celestia has some under her belt, now? Twilight has plenty. Where are Cadance's episodes? Three's a Crowd? That was a Discord Kanye west episode. Once Upon a Zeppelin? It didn't even have ponies wanting to hang around her, in spite of whole hordes of pony's being there to fangirl over her (and Twilight), but we just see Twilight's side of the fanfare. The Crystal Empire? Nope- a Sombra Kanye West episode, starring Twilight and friends. A Canterlot Wedding? Nope. Chrysalis Kanye West episode featuring Twilight and friends. We learn NOTHING about Cadence in her own stinkin' wedding episode! She doesn't even make an appearance into the third act of the second 2-parter! I can get behind the excuse that 'it was intended to be a villain episode', but she's been around for over 5 years now. What do we know about her, other than 'she's a good mom' and 'princess of Love', and an adrenaline junkie on the side? How is not allowing her her own episode for once, having reformed villains talk/think down to her in spite of her very scarce adrenaline adventures- one of which involved going horn to crackled horn against the only villain to ever successfully (and most quickly) coup 4 Princesses and bring the Capital of Equestria to its knees, and not disrespect?

Sorry for the confusion of words here. I truly want her character to be more developed and have a few episodes of her own as well. 

• Brohoof 1

Cadence is not a bad person. So, I don't know why people write her in their fictions that way. She doesn't have much of a character in the show so writers have a lot of leeway I guess. I think she gets dumped on because she has had zero character development and her life is shown to be perfect. You can't even point out any of her likes or dislikes. The closest we've gotten to an origin for her is in the comics depicting how she met Shining Armor and fell in love in high school. That's it. There's a suggestion that she's a distant relative for a previous ruler of the crystal empire before they were killed by Sombra. There's also nothing about about she got her wings at such a young ago (yes, in high school). It would be interesting to have her and Chrysalis meet again in an episode. That would be fun.

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

A lot of people, pony fans, official FiM show writers, and official FiM comic writers don't really seem to take Cadence seriously. Everyone pretty much treats her like a joke. Out of the 4 Princesses, she seems to have the least character development and onscreen influence, which makes her bland as sliced bread, and in the preview of IDW's latest comic, Tempest Shadow pretty much wonders why Cadence even exists. In the span of 8 ongoing years, we still don't really have any real depth to the meat of her character, but putting that aside- how can everyone just ignore that Cadence-  Mrs. "bland as sliced bread" Pink Pony Princess went hoof to hoof with Tempest, and was the only- the ONLY one who fought back, at least for a moment. Credit where credit is due, her shield spells are second to none to her husband's. Can we not forget that Cadance held an empire in a protection spell against King Sombra for heaven knows how long, while she barely ate and slept? Can we  not forget that she took on a Tatzulwyrm that was exponentially bigger than she was? That's pretty hardcore.

So why is she so utterly disrespected?

You kinda forgot she attempted to protect Celly from Tempest's first obsidian :dash:

2 hours ago, Lord Valtasar said:

as a newer member of the comunity,thats the first time i even hear that people don't like her,personaly i loved her debut episode and her recent ones are also nice,she just has tought competition as an alicorn

She's mostly ignored. Problem most people have of her is her lack of other personality traits, and she has yet to be given episodes focused on her, apart from Three's a Crowd. Yeah, I don't think she's a bad character, and that "pretty nice pink princess horse" has shown more than once she's willing to take action and get in harms' way. But yeah, character wise, she's kinda lacking. Hell, I even dare to say McFlurry got more love in that department despite being a toddler :dash: 

• Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

You kinda forgot she attempted to protect Celly from Tempest's first obsidian :dash:

She's mostly ignored. Problem most people have of her is her lack of other personality traits, and she has yet to be given episodes focused on her, apart from Three's a Crowd. Yeah, I don't think she's a bad character, and that "pretty nice pink princess horse" has shown more than once she's willing to take action and get in harms' way. But yeah, character wise, she's kinda lacking. Hell, I even dare to say McFlurry got more love in that department despite being a toddler :dash: 

i think her role lately is to be relatable to parrents,and not very many of those in the fandom(i think)so its kinda expected,she was never supposed to be the center of attention in my opinion but being an alicorn makes that decision kinda weird

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

:confused:

Okay, so your point isn't that she is disrespected by fans, but by the writers for underutilizing her? Wait. No you included fans in your OP. So let me get this straight ... you bemoan  that fans disrespect her, and in reply to my comment you basically tear her down. 

I guess in a round about way you answered my request for recent vitriol about Cadance with your own post. Touche. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
4 hours ago, Jeric said:

:confused:

Okay, so your point isn't that she is disrespected by fans, but by the writers for underutilizing her? Wait. No you included fans in your OP. So let me get this straight ... you bemoan  that fans disrespect her, and in reply to my comment you basically tear her down. 

I guess in a round about way you answered my request for recent vitriol about Cadance with your own post. Touche. 

Excuse me?! In what way is merely pointing out that the episodes that she appears in and is expected that she have a significant role in, but allowing them to be hijacked by other characters, or having other characters talking/ thinking badly of her in books or comics that she appears in, canonically, a tearing down of her, on my part? I'm presenting facts here. Go back and read the op again, please. I very clearly present examples where I build her up. I would advise that you not cherrypick and misconstrue my posts in order to support your claims. Thank you.

this is taken from the op:

went hoof to hoof with Tempest, and was the only- the ONLY one who fought back, at least for a moment. Credit where credit is due, her shield spells are second to none to her husband's. Can we not forget that Cadance held an empire in a protection spell against King Sombra for heaven knows how long, while she barely ate and slept? Can we  not forget that she took on a Tatzulwyrm that was exponentially bigger than she was? That's pretty hardcore.

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 1

She's not a main character and she's not as important as Celestia and Luna as a princess.

I think her role is important but not in the focus of FiM. She still has a good share of amazing older sister and sage moments with Twilight and I think those are enough to appreciate her.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, Ironiclly even Twilight Princess of Friendship does more then her. All Cadance is a glorified Mayor of a single large city. Princess of Love, yeah and what does that title do besides be leader of a single City we barely know about.

She pretty cool, she just need a lot more attention then she gets. She just stuck in this bubble of "Perfect Princess Toy" and the writers/execatives hardly have a reason to use her. 

• Brohoof 1

11 minutes ago, DonMaguz said:

She's not a main character and she's not as important as Celestia and Luna as a princess.

I think her role is important but not in the focus of FiM. She still has a good share of amazing older sister and sage moments with Twilight and I think those are enough to appreciate her.

That excuse doesn't really hold water, when we've come to know more about background characters than we know about Cadence. Heck, we know more about Discord, Spike, and Big Mac than we do about Cadence. And they get far more respect than she does, on top of it.

• Brohoof 3

Dislike is a strong word. More like apathy. Cadence was never supposed to exist. She, a brand new alicorn, was shoehorned into the show with no warning, and not much has been done with her since. She's played second fiddle to everyone. Even Spike. For somepony who's supposed to be a demigoddess, she's not that almighty. 

It isn't disrespect as much as disappointment. 

• Brohoof 1

People may see Cadance as shoe-horned character, yet I feel the opposite. Reason being is that I think especially in later seasons her character not existing could of probably changed the progression of the overall story in a different way. Some people who like the first few seasons of the show hate the later seasons but I am not one of those people (except I'm not a huge fan of Season 8).

tl;dr: I think Cadance is an important character in a way

• Brohoof 1

15 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

I completely agree that the way she fought off against the Tatzulwyrm was badass. :yay:

She was also (one of) the one(s) to blast Chrysalis out of Canterlot, the main obstacle delaying Sombra from returning to the Empire, and a counter-troll toward Discord in ^that^ same episode.

(edited)
18 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

That excuse doesn't really hold water, when we've come to know more about background characters than we know about Cadence. Heck, we know more about Discord, Spike, and Big Mac than we do about Cadence. And they get far more respect than she does, on top of it.

I get the impression that you're using the word 'respect' when you're meaning 'screen time'.

I would definitely appreciate a Cadance focused episode, but I don't think she's been misused or 'disrespected' in the episodes she has already had.

Discord and Spike are great characters to show friendship morals because of their pasts, Discord is a demigod with no friendship experience and Spike is a young foreigner with a single friend at the beginning of the series.

The 'close to perfection' princess of love seems to be closer to Zecora in their wisdom roles and those have been fulfilled pretty good in my opinion.

Edited by DonMaguz
Spelling
  • Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Dislike is a strong word. More like apathy. Cadence was never supposed to exist. She, a brand new alicorn, was shoehorned into the show with no warning, and not much has been done with her since. She's played second fiddle to everyone. Even Spike. For somepony who's supposed to be a demigoddess, she's not that almighty. 

It isn't disrespect as much as disappointment. 

when has Hasbro ever confirmed the alicorns to be demigoddesses? Or even goddesses?