Swoop

57 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I don't know what to feel about the dragons though. On one hand, they are actually kinda cool in a way. On the other, they are basically anti-bronies.

They were portrayed as the "cool guys", you know, the kind of guys that you would like to hang out with -- except, they didn't REALLY care for you as a person, just what you did and what you had. Kind of like jocks -- you're either athletic and you're sort of respected, but otherwise, you'll get picked on.

• Brohoof 1

i can see why spike was angry at the begining, the love of his treated him like a little baby

Yeah, and I actually winced when RD started laughing at him. If I had been Spike, I would have probably reacted in the same way. Actually, Spike was really relatable in this episode.

For a show that is allegedly aimed towards "little girls", this was a very good treatment of a male character's identity problems.

• Brohoof 8

Could this be the first episode in which Twilight actually remembered that she can teleport when she needed to?

Loved the episode, but it seemed a little abrupt how they all run away at the end. I was expecting one of the adult dragons to step in and yell at the teenagers for their misbehaviour.

Did any one noticed that Spike was called Pee Wee by the dragon, then he named the Phoenix that?

Also that the phoenix could be seen after crankys appearance?

Also, did anypony find Derpy?

And.

Posted Image

I''d give this an 8.8/10

If there was an epic Pony vs Dragon fight at the end It'd have been 9.5

I was expecting the Ponies to fight the Dragons, get beat, then Spike does something completely awesome to save the Poniies

However I still LOVED this episode

I was expecting the Ponies to fight the Dragons, get beat, then Spike does something completely awesome to save the Poniies

You know, I've been thinking about that. I think I know one reason that they didn't fight.

It would have been really hard to keep the fragile phoenix egg safe in an all-out dragon vs pony battle.

It would have been pretty fun though, but I am ok with how it worked out in the end.

Dat heavy metal music in the background was awesome!!

Those dragons were complete pricks, though. What the f*** was the point of going and smashing eggs??? That's basically murdering the poor baby phoenixes :(

Also, I really expected Rainbow Dash to fight the dragons.

Also, itt was awesome how Rarity was like "I'll kick your ass!!!"

Overall, definitely a good episode. That part where there was that dragon that looked like their costume made me lol XD

• Brohoof 1

This was a good Spike episode, it definitely lent more insight to his character, and showed how young he really is. I didn't expect him to get a pet, but I guess he was the only main character without one. He definitely has the best, though.

Oh, and I sort of expected Spike to actually get his wings this episode, and that being a major reason why he wants to migrate. I suppose they are saving that in a similar way to when the CMCs get their cutie marks?

Still a good character development episode, though.

Edited by Tupin86

Oh, my. I didn't realize Spike would have a mini-existential meltdown. A close brony friend of mine and I have a running joke about an episode in which Scootaloo has an existential meltdown and tries to prove her own existence by reading through a batch of esoteric French philosophy; she spends most of her time smoking and drinking coffee in the CMC treehouse while bemoaning Descartes and lamenting her lack of an answer for her own existence. While Spike wasn't quoting Kierkegaard, it struck me as funny that the question of his origins and dragon essence so shook him to the core; I just thought he would take part in the migration as part of a natural ritual through which all dragons go. The fact he tried to "find" himself was played up more than I expected, for some reason.

Has anyone noticed that the writers are mixing up the Mane Six in unorthodox teams over the course of the past few episodes? We've had Pinkie and Rairty; Pinkie and Twilight; and now Twilight, Dash, and Rarity. I would normally expect Twilight and Fluttershy (both are soft-spoken and socially awkward), Dash and AJ (APPLE DASH FTW), or Pinkie and Dash (canonical BFFs). The writers seems to be mixing and matching in order to keep things a bit fresh and to emphasize the Mane Six as being able to work with one another individually even if their respective attributes don't naturally mesh. I kind of like it. On the other hoof, I really want an episode with the entirety of the Mane Six!

Spike apparently took classes at the Steve Rogers School of Underdogs prior to today's episode since most everypony suddenly viewed him as little more than an adorable, rather helpless child. Rarity has previously used adoring terms with Spike, but her approach is idiosyncratic. Speaking of Rarity, I got a kick out of her "camouflage." I bet she got through the Chernobyl level in COD 4 without being spotted once. Take that, you poorly dressed Russian ultra-nationalists!

I enjoyed Spike receiving more attention as a character outside of his being smitten with Rarity. Belly flopping onto another tangent, it seems as if Spike isn't quite as enamored with Rarity as he once was. Did his crush subside, or are they intentionally seeking to downplay the Spike x Rarity romance? He seemed more embarrassed by Rarity doting on him when, in the past, he would have been totally gaga over her. A strange turn. It makes me wonder if any further development in that relationship will be had.

The ending with the phoenix egg raid caught me by surprise. It was an unconventional method by which for Spike to take his stand against the teenage dragons. I am waiting to see if somepony will interpret Spike's refusal to smash the egg as an allegory for abortion. "Spike chose life!" I personally don't think that was the central or intended message; he simply didn't want to hurt an innocent animal. But even the simplest things can stir up observers (not necessarily fans) of MLP: FiM. As serious as the issue of abortion is, I might be tempted to start laughing if Spike's "choice" is converted into an anti-abortion message. MLP will then truly be destined for fame on Fox News.

Overall, I liked the episode. The pacing was better than "Putting Your Hoof Down" and slightly less frantic than "It's About Time." Nevertheless, I don't believe "Dragon Quest" is the cream of the crop; it's slightly above the middle of the pack, in my opinion. Perhaps it's due to the lack of focus on the ponies. I'm not quite certain. In any event, I'll probably have to watch this again at a later date to see if I am still under that impression.

• Brohoof 4

I enjoyed Spike receiving more attention as a character outside of his being smitten with Rarity. Belly flopping onto another tangent, it seems as if Spike isn't quite as enamored with Rarity as he once was. Did his crush subside, or are they intentionally seeking to downplay the Spike x Rarity romance? He seemed more embarrassed by Rarity doting on him when, in the past, he would have been totally gaga over her. A strange turn. It makes me wonder if any further development in that relationship will be had.

I am amazed how people are perplexed by Spike's reaction. Why would Spike be turned off by Rarity's attention? Because she was essentially EMASCULATING him!

Maybe all of you are big tough guys or girls, but let me give you the point of view of the little guy. There is no bigger turn off for a guy than for his woman to see him as weak. I've experienced this because I am only 5'6". I was once arguing with a guy much bigger than me and my gf had me back down because she was worried I might get hurt. I know she meant well but for her to think that I couldn't take him was a major turn off. We wound up arguing and not speaking to each other for the rest of the night.

In other words, Spike's reaction is perfectly normal. Spike wants Rarity to see him like this:

Posted Image

Not like this:

Posted Image

• Brohoof 12

Oh it work! I had low exceptions for this episode and it turned out to be good! While I had really high expectations for the last one, and it wasn't very good.

I found it quite funny, specially with that weird dragon that looked like the ponies costume. And they didn't put Pinkie just for the laughs in this one, wich is good!

I will give a better analisys once I've watched it again in high quality, but it seemed really good to me! I still wonder how come Spike doesn't have wings. I mean, what's up with that?!

And... what was Princess Celestia trying to tell him????

I am amazed how people are perplexed by Spike's reaction. Why would Spike be turned off by Rarity's attention? Because she was essentially EMASCULATING him!

Maybe all of you are big tough guys or girls, but let me give you the point of view of the little guy. There is no bigger turn off for a guy than for his woman to see him as weak. I've experienced this because I am only 5'6". I was once arguing with a guy much bigger than me and my gf had me back down because she was worried I might get hurt. I know she meant well but for her to think that I couldn't take him was a major turn off. We wound up arguing and not speaking to each other for the rest of the night.

In other words, Spike's reaction is perfectly normal. Spike wants Rarity to see him like this:

Posted Image

Not like this:

Posted Image

Welcome to my life

Oh, my. I didn't realize Spike would have a mini-existential meltdown. A close brony friend of mine and I have a running joke about an episode in which Scootaloo has an existential meltdown and tries to prove her own existence by reading through a batch of esoteric French philosophy; she spends most of her time smoking and drinking coffee in the CMC treehouse while bemoaning Descartes and lamenting her lack of an answer for her own existence. While Spike wasn't quoting Kierkegaard, it struck me as funny that the question of his origins and dragon essence so shook him to the core; I just thought he would take part in the migration as part of a natural ritual through which all dragons go. The fact he tried to "find" himself was played up more than I expected, for some reason.

Has anyone noticed that the writers are mixing up the Mane Six in unorthodox teams over the course of the past few episodes? We've had Pinkie and Rairty; Pinkie and Twilight; and now Twilight, Dash, and Rarity. I would normally expect Twilight and Fluttershy (both are soft-spoken and socially awkward), Dash and AJ (APPLE DASH FTW), or Pinkie and Dash (canonical BFFs). The writers seems to be mixing and matching in order to keep things a bit fresh and to emphasize the Mane Six as being able to work with one another individually even if their respective attributes don't naturally mesh. I kind of like it. On the other hoof, I really want an episode with the entirety of the Mane Six!

Spike apparently took classes at the Steve Rogers School of Underdogs prior to today's episode since most everypony suddenly viewed him as little more than an adorable, rather helpless child. Rarity has previously used adoring terms with Spike, but her approach is idiosyncratic. Speaking of Rarity, I got a kick out of her "camouflage." I bet she got through the Chernobyl level in COD 4 without being spotted once. Take that, you poorly dressed Russian ultra-nationalists!

The ending with the phoenix egg raid caught me by surprise. It was an unconventional method by which for Spike to take his stand against the teenage dragons. I am waiting to see if somepony will interpret Spike's refusal to smash the egg as an allegory for abortion. "Spike chose life!" I personally don't think that was the central or intended message; he simply didn't want to hurt an innocent animal. But even the simplest things can stir up observers (not necessarily fans) of MLP: FiM. As serious as the issue of abortion is, I might be tempted to start laughing if Spike's "choice" is converted into an anti-abortion message. MLP will then truly be destined for fame on Fox News.

Overall, I liked the episode. The pacing was better than "Putting Your Hoof Down" and slightly less frantic than "It's About Time." Nevertheless, I don't believe "Dragon Quest" is the cream of the crop; it's slightly above the middle of the pack, in my opinion. Perhaps it's due to the lack of focus on the ponies. I'm not quite certain. In any event, I'll probably have to watch this again at a later date to see if I am still under that impression.

Wow. I'm not even sure how to react to this.

Posted Image

Not like this:

Posted Image

I haven't thought of that. You are absolutely right, my friend