Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is the most disappointing feature of MLP to you?

FearTheBelle

@KH7672 The reason why I compare the two are simply because of what they have in common. The reason why I consider one a successful character and one not quite is not only because of their execution, but also assuming what they were aiming at with the character. And both what they are aiming at falls into the same spot. For some extent, I think they should have made those two characters as different as possible.

The reason why I consider Starlight a protagonist and a replacement to Twilight is because literally she takes Twilight's role in the show. What Twilight could be doing in an episode is replaced by Starlight. An introvert who tries to fix a problem with magic but overdoes it. The protagonist of premieres and finales. A moral center and common sense among the Mane Six. Most of Starlight's role in the show could have been replaced by Twilight. (keep thinking, I think it's because Tara Strong costs so much compared to other voice actors both in FiM and EQG.)

The reason why Twilight's offer doesn't work is because there was nobody who could stop Starlight than Starlight herself. Forgiveness comes from someone having an upper hand. They can't forgive her because they don't have the ability to punish her. (there is a reason why good guys are always stronger or smarter) Starlight had to be stopped and pay for it. What Twilight did was not an act of justice, it was a compromise, a negotiation. And you know who can't be negotiated with. Also, we don't know if Starlight still chose not to destroy the world just for her own personal interest. She enslaved ponies and caused armageddon to get friendship. Should we give her friendship so we can survive? Yes. The alternative is the end of the world. And that's kinda bleak.

But yes, Starlight and Sunset are different characters in different settings.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
4 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

@KH7672 The reason why I compare the two are simply because of what they have in common. The reason why I consider one a successful character and one not quite is not only because of their execution, but also assuming what they were aiming at with the character. And both what they are aiming at falls into the same spot.

Except how were they aiming for the same spot? Sunset was developed to take lead role in the Equestria girls franchise, to take the position away from Twilight in the Pony world. Starlight on the other hand was given a supporting position from the start. You are the student, I am the teacher, we have a hierarchy not only in the show but in the grand scheme of the cast. In fact Sunset actually had this kind of characterization taken away from her looking at deleted scenes of Friendship Games while Starlight went all the way with the mentor position. She's not becoming another Mane 6 but more adding a Spike or a CMC. The problem with comparing Sunset's position to Starlight is because Sunset's position was established in a movie setting, and in the movies every character needs a role, every character needs to mesh with one another because the stakes are always raised. That doesn't need to happen with secondary characters in a Slice of Life setting, where each character can be focused on individually.

4 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

The reason why I consider Starlight a protagonist and a replacement to Twilight is because literally she takes Twilight's role in the show. What Twilight could be doing in an episode is replaced by Starlight. An introvert who tries to fix a problem with magic but overdoes it. The protagonist of premieres and finales. A moral center and common sense among the Mane Six. Most of Starlight's role in the show could have been replaced by Twilight. (keep thinking, I think it's because Tara Strong costs so much compared to other voice actors both in FiM and EQG.)

.........:confused: What? Easily replaced by Twilight? I've heard easily replaced by Spike but Twilight? That doesn't make sense in the slightest considering every one of her appearances relies on a complimentary appearance by Twilight. Like I would understand if we were getting like a Rainbow Dash-Twilight episode but instead she's given a reason not to go and sends Starlight instead. Like you said it yourself, she's the moral center and common ground for premieres and finales but do you notice who is usually on the receiving end, Twilight. From Celestial Advice, the Shadow Play, to School Daze, this is what I'm saying is that their dynamic is especially unique, because almost everything falls back on the teacher-student dynamic, later becoming pseudo-sibling, greater than just friends and different than best friends with the Mane 5, or how Sunset's is with her friends. It's why I kinda see the Spike comparison except going episode by episode basis a lot of her moral stances rely on her own prior experiences, that Spike doesn't have.

I will reside on the basis of Twilight's negotiation being enough to sway the powers, as most of my appreciation for the scene relies on future appearances building off of it. However taking the scene at face value in the finale even initially I had an air of neutrality towards the whole thing.

Edited by KH7672

Buy our comics if you want more info/homework about the show and ponies. It's not actually important to tell it about in the show itself.

Whenever characters' story arcs get pushed aside for other characters. Spike especially - yunno how much of his potential story arcs gets pushed aside? Like he befriends a changeling only to have another character be the one to reform them, or keeping a one-sided crush going and not really developing at all just for giggles, I don't need to go on! 

It's not even just him! Discord has alot missing too! Babs Seed had something going for her until they just gave her a cutie mark and got pushed aside. Coco Pommel looked like she had alot going for her until she disappeared as well! Zecora is a big one! And yet the series has room for filter episodes with characters learning the same lessons or just being ridiculous like 28 Pranks Later, Secrets and Pies, Honest Apple, Yakity-Sax, and many others!

This is my biggest grudge on the show. Just because it's a kid's show doesn't automatically mean "make episodes that just make characters look dumb for no reason, or just have the whole world push them around and for some reason THEY are the ones that learn the lesson". These wasted story opportunities just sicken me. I know not all these wasted potentials are on purpose, but it really seems like alot of them are just because "they don't have to". It's true, they don't have to, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't.

• Brohoof 1

Nobody expects the inquisition! It is time to hunt the unicorn witches once more!

10 hours ago, KH7672 said:

.........:confused: What? Easily replaced by Twilight? I've heard easily replaced by Spike but Twilight? That doesn't make sense in the slightest considering every one of her appearances relies on a complimentary appearance by Twilight. Like I would understand if we were getting like a Rainbow Dash-Twilight episode but instead she's given a reason not to go and sends Starlight instead. Like you said it yourself, she's the moral center and common ground for premieres and finales but do you notice who is usually on the receiving end, Twilight. From Celestial Advice, the Shadow Play, to School Daze, this is what I'm saying is that their dynamic is especially unique, because almost everything falls back on the teacher-student dynamic, later becoming pseudo-sibling, greater than just friends and different than best friends with the Mane 5, or how Sunset's is with her friends. It's why I kinda see the Spike comparison except going episode by episode basis a lot of her moral stances rely on her own prior experiences, that Spike doesn't have.

Yes, it's almost like you only need Twilight in those episodes. Or the Two Sisters. History shall tell that those two can get in and out of a sister quarrel on their own. Why waste time on another character that needs to steal all perceivable traits from Twilight anyway. Overworking while acting dazed and confused in the process? That's so Twilight. Poor little Starlight didn't manage to get her own identity till the very end. What dynamic are we talking about? The one where some character acts stupid and needs Starlight to set them straight? Do we really need that shit? I'm pretty sure fans of those characters don't. We've had enough of that in the first seasons. Care to guess which character had that pattern.

I will reside on the basis of Twilight's negotiation being enough to sway the powers, as most of my appreciation for the scene relies on future appearances building off of it. However taking the scene at face value in the finale even initially I had an air of neutrality towards the whole thing.

If I knew that shitposting against Starfoals shall result in a terrible future I too would stop doing it. Damn, I'm such a good person. Love and respect me!

later becoming pseudo-sibling, greater than just friends and different than best friends with the Mane 5

Rainbow Roadtrip ... just saying ... with a very smug expression on my face. Are you a true believer :P No seriously, this is a purely fanon interpretation that betrays one's intent. J'accuse!

Not enough world building. Most of the stories stick to Ponyville and we don't see that many new locations or characters' backstories all that much outside the comics.

But honestly, instead of complaining about it all the time, just go and look for some fan fiction that actually talks about the stuff you want. The fact the show staff don't take advantage to expand the show lore sometimes can be a good opportunity for us to expand on what we do know about the MLP World or even the EQG or come up with our way of how certain things work in the two realms.

This is the reason why I love the Fanfic Fuel trope.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Goat-kun said:

Nobody expects the inquisition! It is time to hunt the unicorn witches once more!

Yes, it's almost like you only need Twilight in those episodes. Or the Two Sisters. History shall tell that those two can get in and out of a sister quarrel on their own. Why waste time on another character that needs to steal all perceivable traits from Twilight anyway. Overworking while acting dazed and confused in the process? That's so Twilight. Poor little Starlight didn't manage to get her own identity till the very end. What dynamic are we talking about? The one where some character acts stupid and needs Starlight to set them straight? Do we really need that shit? I'm pretty sure fans of those characters don't. We've had enough of that in the first seasons. Care to guess which character had that pattern.

Rainbow Roadtrip ... just saying ... with a very smug expression on my face. Are you a true believer :P No seriously, this is a purely fanon interpretation that betrays one's intent. J'accuse!

:kindness: Aw, I appreciate that I personally am seeked out on my opinion. It makes me feel worthy of discussion.

I always thought the consensus was Starlight stole traits from all the characters :muffins: so putting just Twilight in those roles doesn't exactly work. It also implies Starlight doesn't  do stupid things as well and need moral guidance from the characters unlike Twilight in most of Season 1 being the audience proxy.

Also I literally said Twilight doesn't have the same relationship with Starlight as the other Mane 5, how does telling me that she's not going to be in Rainbow Roadtrip and the rest are, disprove my point. If I was going on a roadtrip with my friends I would want my family to stay behind and watch over things while I'm gone too.

Edited by KH7672

A possible problem with the show is having both be who you are and then change yourself when it collides with some sort of social norm. There hasn't been a middle ground to say it's okay to be yourself to an extent that society allows.

14 hours ago, KH7672 said:

:kindness: Aw, I appreciate that I personally am seeked out on my opinion. It makes me feel worthy of discussion.

I always thought the consensus was Starlight stole traits from all the characters :muffins: so putting just Twilight in those roles doesn't exactly work. It also implies Starlight doesn't  do stupid things as well and need moral guidance from the characters unlike Twilight in most of Season 1 being the audience proxy.

Also I literally said Twilight doesn't have the same relationship with Starlight as the other Mane 5, how does telling me that she's not going to be in Rainbow Roadtrip and the rest are, disprove my point. If I was going on a roadtrip with my friends I would want my family to stay behind and watch over things while I'm gone too.

We Bronies are known for our warm community, or so I'm told.

There is not such consensus. I would know as I am the most feared hater that ever posted in the eight forums ;) There is always talk about how powerful unicorns are shitty Twilight clones though. That's probably the closest thing you'll ever have to a consensus shared among the haters.

The episodes without Starlight do work under a simple condition: the episode should benefit all included characters. So yes, Starlight's episodes as they are cannot work for any other character since they were made to benefit Starlight alone. Cut out Starlight and you truly have no need for such specific episodes. Not the worst thing in the world. Perhaps it would even be regarded as a good thing. There is nothing positive Mane 6 gained from those episodes.

And as far as stupid things are concerned, there exists a crucial difference. Shounen characters often do things others regard as stupid but everything turns out to their benefit. These are generally used to make a character look more awesome in the eyes of the audience, not less. That's what you would dare show me as examples of Starlight's failures. The only true failures she has under her belt have been happening since Cozy rekt her muzzle. It's the post-Starlight era, so we haters shall sprinkle our confetti into the FIM's shallow grave. A bitter-sweet end is not the worst kind of end out there.

The relationship is all in your head the same way Luna fans think Luna was wronged by Celestia and the entirety of ponykind. This is not the "you are like a sibling to me" situation. Twilight, through the subjugated hands of our glorious writers, no longer gives a shit for Starlight. Even Chrysalis only mentions her casually while having a raging hate boner for Twilight. The story does not require such contrived plot and the man upstairs seems to agree. It took them long enough. What a waste of seasons. Should have done Cozy in S05 and Grogar in S06 instead. Just imagine and tell me you would not sacrifice Starlight for such an opportunity.

Disappointed that they've thrown any semblance of coherency out the window in later seasons.

Sure, let's have Applejack, who owns a family-run farm that requires daily maintenance and work to keep running, joint rulership of the country and teaching on top of that workload.

I'm amazed Rarity has any time to run her boutiques as well.

What about Fluttershy's animal shelter?

Rainbow Dash's Wonderbolts responsibilities?

Let the main 6 do their personal life dreams and let new characters far more qualified do things like save the world, rule the country and teach the next generation

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, RulesofRarity said:

The overuse of redemption on the worst kind of people.

Basically this. They try to redeem everything that is evil and it gets tiring after awhile.

• Brohoof 3

The way the Changelings were handled. They got that messy color palette change which does not look good. The whole thing with Pharynx seemed off. He was fine being himself a traditionalist changeling but every one else wanted him to change or get kicked out. So instead of accepting him for who he was, he had to change to conform to the new way of the hive. 

• Brohoof 2

It's kinda amusing in hindsight that most of Equestria seems to be "Join us, or we'll nuke with magic friendship rainbow lasers, and if you refuse to play nice, we'll nuke with magic friendship rainbow lasers."

7 hours ago, The Nth Doctor said:

It's kinda amusing in hindsight that most of Equestria seems to be "Join us, or we'll nuke with magic friendship rainbow lasers, and if you refuse to play nice, we'll nuke with magic friendship rainbow lasers."

I'm still disappointed that there hasn't been a villain who can completely block said friendship rainbow lasers with one hand/hoof (barring the Pony of Shadows who resisted the EoH for a while), signifying that he or she will take actual effort to defeat.

The fact that it's ending.

In all seriousness, it's probably how unrealistic the show is in how it handles stiff situations. I get it's a kid's show and Hasbro can't make it all doom and gloom, but it's important to know that life isn't all friendship and rainbows. Not all endings can be happy. Some will end poorly, no matter how anyone tries to change them. Teaching life lessons is a big part of MLP, and I don't feel like that's something they've ever touched on properly.

Although, I guess it doesn't really have to be realistic considering it's fiction. It has magical multicolored talking ponies, for Celestia's sake. And maybe bringing that kind of thing into a child's life so early is a questionable decision, but unreachable dreams aren't great, either.

(edited)

Twilight's school being given accolades for promoting tokenism. It's still a 90%+ majority pony school and only has creatures from other selected nations.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 1

The most disappointing feature of the show is the lack of continuity between.episodes. The only time that the writers even use it is in the build for the season story arcs, and that annoys me. Even the Penguins of Madagascar cartoon on Nick did continuity better than Friendship is Magic has. 

(edited)

The show writers having no explanation for how the sun was setting in School Raze Part 2, even though she didn't have her magic at that point.

Their answer was pretty much this:

I wonder if that's their answer for how the Changelings captured everyone in To Where And Back Again.

Edited by heavens-champion
  • Brohoof 1

On 6/23/2019 at 9:02 AM, Penguinbrony2409 said:

The most disappointing feature of the show is the lack of continuity between.episodes. The only time that the writers even use it is in the build for the season story arcs, and that annoys me. Even the Penguins of Madagascar cartoon on Nick did continuity better than Friendship is Magic has. 

This has to be the biggest problem I see with this show

• Brohoof 4