Dragon Dropped  

81 users have voted

1. 1. What did you think?

• Wow, right through the floor!
    • Only a bit of damage...
    • Impressive thud.
    • It bounced?
    • Ahhh! Multiball!

Okay so I've been preoccupied with video game problems recently but I had to say something about this episode as a Spike/Rarity shipper. Objectively, I can't find much fault in this story and I'll elaborate on that later so my personal issue with this is the way it seems to undo the progress made in Best Gift Ever. I could relate to Rarity as Spike stopped giving her attention and while he had no obligation to hang out with her, he should have acknowledged her at least. Rarity was also wrong when she persuaded him not to hang out with Gabby. However, the way Gabby reacted was no better since Spike has no obligation to hang out with her either. The whole point of Season 3 episode 3 was that friends don't have to hang out all the time so a lot of this episode was Rarity and Gabby getting jealous over Spike.

Overall, I don't think it's a bad episode, but not good. I'm conflicted. There were some humorous moments like Twilight's annoyance with Rarity misplacing her couch and Rarity's melodramatic apologies. Nopony does melodrama better than her. There were are few moments that reinforced Spike/Rarity such as the last scene but I think they were overshadowed by Spike's OOC indifference to Rarity. Nevertheless, it's an episode focused on my favorite pony and dragon and has a nice moral about sharing, so I can't regret watching it. I'd rather watch this than Season 5 episode 11 which remains my most disliked episode to this day.

On 9/9/2019 at 11:04 AM, Senko said:

2) First gem cave exploration had me expecting Opalessence to be the one carrying Rarities basket.

Y'know, that's cool, I actually thought the same thing!

On 9/16/2019 at 2:37 PM, BornAgainBrony said:

(funny this got brought up so recently, just got to watch it in theaters yesterday for the anniversary re-release).

Lol, I probably subconsciously thought about it because I recall seeing at least one email from my local theater about its special event anniversary release. Though I don't recall now if it was before or after I posted my comment, double lol.

I guess it's possible though that Spike has known for long enough that Rarity can't reciprocate, but he's just enjoying the fantasy of pursuing her anyhow because... why not?

My impression of him in his S1 episodes was his aim was to score points with her ahead of time, so when he was old enough to date her he'd already be ahead in the game when it came to future competition from other stallions. And it seemed to have worked to an extent, since of all the characters she could have grabbed, she grabbed for him during the climax of "Scare Master."

In later seasons when Sparity had been pushed to the sidelines (compared to its propensity in S1), it's less clear if that was his aim anymore. He may have just been happy to experience the euphoria of being near her and being helpful.

The funniest thing I can think of about such an episode would be something along the lines of, "I am NOT calling him Dad."  To which Spike obviously replies, "I wouldn't want you to, that's just weird."

Well, it was be particularly weird if she were instructed to call him dad because it would imply Sweetie Belle is actually Rarity's child. XD (Which, I'm well aware is a theory considered in some circles of the fandom due to the lack of presence of Rarity and Sweetie Belle's actual parents.)

If Spike did marry Rarity, it would make him Sweetie Belle's brother-in-law, which is a lot easier than thinking of him as dad. And if Spike married Apple Bloom, then he and Big Mac would be brothers, which would be kind of neat.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not much of a Spike-Rarity shipper, but the episode was great! As others point out, the Twilight scene where she falls on the fainting couch was a pure gem. That scene alone would be worth watching the whole episode for, although there were a ton of other things I liked as well. ^_^

I considered the relationship between Spike and Rarity in this episode to be closer to friendship than something romantic, and loved the episode's lesson about jealously and friendship. Wanting to keep friends to myself is something I can relate to. It's not that I have any traumatic event about it or anything, but I could just feel how sad the situation would be. I felt really bad for Rarity throughout the episode. If I had to choose between her and Gabby, I honestly would support Rarity more, but I'm glad Gabby and Spike remained good friends too. :squee:

• Brohoof 1

This was an interesting episode. I always knew that Rarity used Spike a bit but to see her fully realize this was satisfying. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2019 at 7:38 PM, Truffles said:

Well, it was be particularly weird if she were instructed to call him dad because it would imply Sweetie Belle is actually Rarity's child. XD (Which, I'm well aware is a theory considered in some circles of the fandom due to the lack of presence of Rarity and Sweetie Belle's actual parents.)

If Spike did marry Rarity, it would make him Sweetie Belle's brother-in-law, which is a lot easier than thinking of him as dad. And if Spike married Apple Bloom, then he and Big Mac would be brothers, which would be kind of neat.

Uh...what? we see Sweetie parents multiple times. Sure its' rarity but they do hang wit her and such.. Taht theroy don't maek any sense at all. Plus spike is like 13ish...

Both Rarity and Spike had a hard time in this episode, so I knew what is going on between both as I genuinely want them to make things right again, as with Gabby's appearance. I will say this episode is good in my opinion.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I like it. I never expected Gabby to hang out Spike (I imagine she would be more with the CMC), but it was a relief to see the three of them reach an equal agreement. It was also cool to see Spike and Gabby having alot in common. 

13 hours ago, TransitPony said:

I like it. I never expected Gabby to hang out Spike (I imagine she would be more with the CMC), but it was a relief to see the three of them reach an equal agreement. It was also cool to see Spike and Gabby having alot in common. 

Funny you should say that because not once does Gabby hang out with them. She instead chooses to hang out with Spike all the time. I see no reason why the CMC couldn't do her rounds with her while Spike was busy with Rarity. 

• 6 months later...

This one seemed a little underwhelming or even annoying. I honestly don't really like Gabby, but she is cute sometimes. I love Rarity's expressions in this episode though. 

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

A part of me wants to see a Yuno Gasai like Rarity and Spike fanfic because of this episode, Always have been a Rarity x Spike shipper and cant say this episode did anything to break that ship for me.

If anything it made it stronger, but whatevs

(Also ship Spike and Ember but I prefer Rarity and Spike)

Rarity_kissing_Spike_closer_S1E19.png&eh

• 1 month later...
On 2022-01-16 at 7:28 AM, WildChildMirai said:

A part of me wants to see a Yuno Gasai like Rarity and Spike fanfic because of this episode, Always have been a Rarity x Spike shipper and cant say this episode did anything to break that ship for me.

If anything it made it stronger, but whatevs

(Also ship Spike and Ember but I prefer Rarity and Spike)

Rarity_kissing_Spike_closer_S1E19.png&eh

I ship Spike with Sweetie Belle.

• 4 months later...
(edited)

This episode introduced the Spike X Gabby ship, which I adore.

They have so much in common, but I never imagined them as a couple until I saw this episode.

They would probably adopt several orphans of all kinds who would call Gallus "Uncle G."

:squee:

Edited by Rosy Moonlight
  • Brohoof 1

• 6 months later...

It kinda felt like a retread of Make New Friends But Keep Discord and No Second Prances. 

I expected Opalescence to be holding the pincushion…never thought of it with the basket though