Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was the show really worth it (especially after the epilogue)?

PCutter

I won't say even a single thing about the final episodes and epilogue because of spoilers. I won't give off a single hint.

But I'll ask: was watching the show really worth a portion your life?

Some accuse the epilogue of being "worse than fanfiction." For those people, has the show really ended on a horrible note and was never worth watching in the first place? Would you finally say you "wasted a precious decade away?"

But I liked the last episodes and epilogue, just as I have for every single other piece of official material this show has churned out.

• Brohoof 1

Why do you essentially keep asking the same hyperbolic question in almost every thread you create? The ending wasn't unanimously well-received, but I doubt it somehow caused many reasonable people to dismiss their entire experience within bronydom as a 'waste of their life'. With sporadic exceptions, the human mind just doesn't typically work like that - one episode with mixed reviews somehow doesn't soil every positive of the decade of series (and 220+ episodes) preceding it.

Edited by Them's Seeing Ponies
  • Brohoof 6

Spoiler

Despite it being bland and disappointing it was, I enjoyed the episode! *starts get hit by everything but the kitchen sink* Ow, okay and B4 someone throws a kitchen sink at me.Okay I appreciate some of the small things it had going for it. I mean it is kind of hard to explain.

I mean granted I quit watching the show prior to it, but I can't change it changes my impact on the show as a whole.

I mean, personally I disliked the epilogue quite a bit, but no. I wouldn't say the past 9 years of my life has somehow been a waste when I thoroughly enjoyed most of the show to the point where it's my favorite show, when I enjoyed interacting with other fans in the fandom and enjoyed many great fanworks, and where I made a lot of friends. I can't regret all of that just because of one disappointing episode, even if it's a particularly ill-timed disappointment. It'd take an absolute heck of a lot more than that to make me feel like I wasted all my time. I have literally no idea what else I'd have been doing without this show and fandom but I imagine there's a pretty good chance it wouldn't have been nearly as fun.

• Brohoof 3

Haven't watched the final episodes. Probably won't. Still need to watch the entire second part of this season. Maybe I will find the ending 'worse than fanfiction'', but it is not the only thing that makes up the whole cartoon.

Regardless, for every thing I didn't like about the cartoon, there were countless others that I loved.

So, yes. It was worth it. In fact, I intend on re-watching it. Definitively worth it.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
22 minutes ago, BastementSparkle said:

I mean, personally I disliked the epilogue quite a bit, but no. I wouldn't say the past 9 years of my life has somehow been a waste when I thoroughly enjoyed most of the show to the point where it's my favorite show, when I enjoyed interacting with other fans in the fandom and enjoyed many great fanworks, and where I made a lot of friends. I can't regret all of that just because of one disappointing episode, even if it's a particularly ill-timed disappointment. It'd take an absolute heck of a lot more than that to make me feel like I wasted all my time. I have literally no idea what else I'd have been doing without this show and fandom but I imagine there's a pretty good chance it wouldn't have been nearly as fun.

But then since this "one disappointing episode" is the epilogue, why would you still say you want to go back to rewatching it when everyone else (for different shows I've seen) says that all shows must end as perfectly as they began? Because otherwise the "dumpster fire that is the epilogue" will ultimately define the show for the rest of eternity, if at all for eternity.

Edited by PCutter

I wouldn't say end as perfectly as they began As well nothing is perfect. Okay sure you can say premier was better than the epilogue. That still doesn't make the premier perfect. Like it has been said that this show has a lot of good things for it despite the reception on how it had ended.

(edited)

@Prince Doopliss@BastementSparkle

I feel it's absolutely dehumanizing for me to go through some experience, not only watching a show from start to end but also other things like holding some job or fighting a war or having a government job, and then ultimately realizing that nothing good has come. I just feel like witnessing the majority despise the ending of something so big is the ultimate humiliation for me because it invalidates all the pleasant memories I had watching the previous seasons. It's like the previous decade of my life was a lie. Like I've already died a miserable death full of regrets.

Now I feel like there's no series worth watching anymore, whether in the past, future or now.

Edited by PCutter

In a way, it being shit makes it worth more to those of us who seek to scavenge its rotting corpse. The fandom's starless depths shall receive a boon dragged down by complacency and disappointment. Come and place your chair to the table.

33 minutes ago, PCutter said:

But then since this "one disappointing episode" is the epilogue, why would you still say you want to go back to rewatching it when everyone else (for different shows I've seen) says that all shows must end as perfectly as they began? Because otherwise the "dumpster fire that is the epilogue" will ultimately define the show for the rest of eternity, if at all for eternity.

Because I still enjoyed the show for the most part. Because I think the journey is generally more important than the destination, and I still love the characters and the world and so much more about the show. I don't really care what other people have to say about it much. No series I have ever gotten into has ever been perfect, I'd rather put up with some of the disappointments to enjoy the good parts, because I love the show that much.

20 minutes ago, PCutter said:

@Prince Doopliss@BastementSparkle

I feel it's absolutely dehumanizing for me to go through some experience, not only watching a show from start to end but also other things like holding some job or fighting a war or having a government job, and then ultimately realizing that nothing good has come. I just feel like witnessing the majority despise the ending of something so big is the ultimate humiliation for me because it invalidates all the pleasant memories I had watching the previous seasons. It's like the previous decade of my life was a lie. Like I've already died a miserable death full of regrets.

Now I feel like there's no series worth watching anymore, whether in the past, future or now.

Why do you let other people's opinions of a show dictate your own feelings so much? Sounds to me like the only person standing in the way of your own enjoyment here is yourself. No piece of art or entertainment is so flawless that everyone will enjoy it. I'm pretty sure it's not even the "Majority" that disliked the end, but even if it was...so what? Your own experiences are your own, nothing has been invalidated because of someone else's opinion. If you demand perfection with a show and demand everyone else agree with your opinion, then you really will never find a series worth watching, because that's just not how things work.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)
18 minutes ago, BastementSparkle said:

Because I still enjoyed the show for the most part. Because I think the journey is generally more important than the destination, and I still love the characters and the world and so much more about the show. I don't really care what other people have to say about it much. No series I have ever gotten into has ever been perfect, I'd rather put up with some of the disappointments to enjoy the good parts, because I love the show that much.

Why do you let other people's opinions of a show dictate your own feelings so much? Sounds to me like the only person standing in the way of your own enjoyment here is yourself. No piece of art or entertainment is so flawless that everyone will enjoy it. I'm pretty sure it's not even the "Majority" that disliked the end, but even if it was...so what? Your own experiences are your own, nothing has been invalidated because of someone else's opinion. If you demand perfection with a show and demand everyone else agree with your opinion, then you really will never find a series worth watching, because that's just not how things work.

Ok, I think I need to clarify.Maybe I never really demanded absolute perfection about the show. My issue isn't about perfection.

It's more of being no longer able to decide if my self, and emotions or opinions about the show are even real, like I fear that I'm living an illusion and that the show was never actually a shining light for me when I was in miserable times in my life, that I no longer had a purpose in life and am doomed to just wander around aimlessly.

Edited by PCutter

2 minutes ago, PCutter said:

Ok, I think I need to clarify.Maybe I never really demanded absolute perfection about the show. My issue isn't about perfection.

It's more of being no longer able to decide if my self, and emotions or opinions about the show are even real, like I fear that I'm living an illusion that the show was never a shining light for me when I was in the dark, that I no longer had a purpose in life and am doomed to just wander around aimlessly.

Your emotions and opinions are real, they don't have to line up with others to be real. Your experiences and feelings from this show are valid, and they aren't an illusion. If anyone tries to tell you otherwise, ignore them. They can have their own opinions and they can express and argue for those all they want, but that doesn't somehow invalidate yours. I understand struggling with yourself and questioning everything you think, but sitting here doubting yourself like this isn't going to help anything.

• Brohoof 2

@PCutter

I think you are taking a bit way to seriously. As @BastementSparkle is saying do not let others dictate how you feel. I mean had these feelings at one point of time, but I got over them after people made me felt better about thing. I think you should too. Trust me as I say that a cartoon should not be taking too seriously after a poor epilogue.

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: yes, definitely. Even though I didn't like certain bits of the finale and the epilogue, the show is way, way more than that, and generally I really enjoyed it, it made my life a little better, and I wouldn't change anything about it. The expectations for the last episodes were too high anyway, I simply knew they couldn't fully satisfy everyone.

• Brohoof 2

Of course it was! Despite all the show's problems, it's definitely been worth it! I can't imagine what our lives woulda been like if we didn't discover this show!

Edited by FlareGun45
  • Brohoof 1

I said it before and I'll say it again. It has been quite an interesting journey spending time with these characters every weekend for the past 6 to 9 years. (I've been a part of the Brony Herd for 6 years myself). All the experiences were just a part of life, even the bad parts. And I wouldn't trade it for all the trips to Walt Disney World in Florida

I know this topic avoids spoilers, but this really isn't the kind of topic that should be made until after the series is officially over. The only people who could currently give an answer to this question are people who have seen the leaks. The haste to get a topic like this out just makes it look more like you want people to view the show's end in a negative light like you do. That being said, I know of what the epilogue entails and I don't mind it. I get why the show team thought it was the best way to end the show and I am just grateful to have the Season 10 comic.  

Yes, the show has been worth a portion of my life - and it will continue to be a big part of my life. Even though it's ending I'll continue to be a fan. In fact I'm going to rewatch every episode (including the movie, specials and shorts) in the gap between generations 4 and 5. As well as the whole of Equestria Girls. And I liked the show's ending. It ended in exactly the right way and left me feeling even more positive about the whole thing.

5 hours ago, PCutter said:

I won't say even a single thing about the final episodes and epilogue because of spoilers. I won't give off a single hint.

Some accuse the epilogue of being "worse than fanfiction." For those people, has the show really ended on a horrible note and was never worth watching in the first place? Would you finally say you "wa

sted a precious decade away?"

But I liked the last episodes and epilogue, just as I have for every single other piece of official material this show has churned out.

This belongs in the spoiler forum. 

I thought you left

5 hours ago, PCutter said:

Deterministic answer -- doesn't really matter either way. :P

And yeah of course. I mean, this if anyone got any intangible value from this show it was me. 

I've watched MLP since February of 2012. Sure the epilogue was a bit of a letdown (I think anything would be a letdown considering how high all our expectations were/are) but it's only one episode out of... *checks* 222. :wacko: 

The show has been worth it for giving me a laugh or a smile from time to time. I haven't watched many of the episodes in later seasons (and the ones that I have watched I've mostly forgotten about) but I used to always look forward to the new episode coming out each Saturday.

And I can of course thank the show for all the great friendships I've made along the way, both past ones and current ones.

• Brohoof 1

The good outweighs the bad. I hated season 9 enough to drop it, I hate everything I hear about the ending, I wish it could have ended on a much....much, much better note(especially personally). , and S6 and 8 have their fair share of bullshit to sour the experience, but I still enjoyed my time with the show, especially the first half of the run, the movie, most of EQG, comics and manga. In the end of the day, I could just always be "that guy" and pretend the show ended at S8(if I'm being generous), and some things like Sparkle's Seven, Rainbow Roadtrip, Best Gift Ever, were bonuses

You cannot please everyone. For some people, the epilogue was disappointing. Expecting everyone to like it is impossible. Quite frankly, I was fine with it. Even if I wasn't, it would be pointless to say that whole show was a waste, simply because I didn't like how things turned out. To me, the show was worth it. Always was, always will be.

Edited by Cash In