Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

New Animated Series Promo? G5?

CinnamonSwirl

On 11/17/2019 at 6:08 AM, Latecomer said:

Are you an actual Hasbro consumer? That is, do you buy pony toys? Because Hasbro isn't going to stop selling hem, and relying on repeats is an uncertain bet.

Some.  Not a lot.  I spend more money on the books and dvds.  But here's a novel idea: why don't they make this Pony Life mini-series or whatever it is with all new characters?  That way they can do their stay-relevent-and-sell-toys scheme without mucking up the FIM finale.  I'd be into that.  Yeah, yeah.  I know exactly why not--because established familiarity is a safe bet.  Characters that people already know are guaranteed to sell.  Something new is a gamble.  That's why Hollywood reboots the same characters, the same movies, and the same stories over and over and over.  A reboot of The Lion King will sell tickets whether it stinks or not.  Something new might not.  And people often don't really want something new.  They want the familiar.  Rainbow Dash put it best when she said, "all we really like is what we know."  Art and originality are gambles, and that's why we don't get very much of either, sadly.

On 11/17/2019 at 11:45 AM, Bas said:

@Justin_Case001 No offense, but I don't get you. You basically said yourself spinoff don't need to be canon and can be dismissed.

Why don't you do the same for PL then? Simply don't watch it, and that's it, you don't loose on anything.

Well... yeah.  That's what I'm prolly gonna do.  But I still wanted to give my opinion that I don't think Hasbro should continue telling any more stories about the mane 6.  I think they should focus on new characters.  This is just another example of a larger trend in entertainment where they make a perfect finale to something, only to resurrect it shortly thereafter because they need to keep milking the brand for every drop it's worth.  It bothers me.  That's all.  But I'm not, like, livid or anything.  I just won't watch.  I just wish creators would actually end things when they end.

3 hours ago, Justin_Case001 said:

Some.  Not a lot.  I spend more money on the books and dvds.  But here's a novel idea: why don't they make this Pony Life mini-series or whatever it is with all new characters?  That way they can do their stay-relevent-and-sell-toys scheme without mucking up the FIM finale.  I'd be into that.  Yeah, yeah.  I know exactly why not--because established familiarity is a safe bet.  Characters that people already know are guaranteed to sell.  Something new is a gamble.  That's why Hollywood reboots the same characters, the same movies, and the same stories over and over and over.  A reboot of The Lion King will sell tickets whether it stinks or not.  Something new might not.  And people often don't really want something new.  They want the familiar.  Rainbow Dash put it best when she said, "all we really like is what we know."  Art and originality are gambles, and that's why we don't get very much of either, sadly.

Well... yeah.  That's what I'm prolly gonna do.  But I still wanted to give my opinion that I don't think Hasbro should continue telling any more stories about the mane 6.  I think they should focus on new characters.  This is just another example of a larger trend in entertainment where they make a perfect finale to something, only to resurrect it shortly thereafter because they need to keep milking the brand for every drop it's worth.  It bothers me.  That's all.  But I'm not, like, livid or anything.  I just won't watch.  I just wish creators would actually end things when they end.

Now you see, I hardly think all potential in the Mane 6 as characters has been tapped, just because the show ran dry on ideas. 

And in any case, this is probably just to buy time while makeing G5 properly rather than rushing it. Which inherently means time-saving shorttcuts, whether in the animation or just re-using already popular characters.

As for your reaction - may I ask if you read fanfics? And if so, what kind?

You were deluding yourself if you thought the FIM finale was ever going to be the end of the mane 6. They're the most iconic characters the franchise has ever had and I expect they'll be playing a major role in G5 as well. From a brand preservation perspective, you don't just drop them all out of some vague "originality" aspiration. Sometimes sticking with the characters you've got is the right way to go in maintaining the entertainment value and popularity of a franchise.

Edited by n1029
  • Brohoof 1

It’s interesting to note this, as far as I know, wasn’t in the 2017 mega leak. Dunno if it’s because DHX isn’t involved. I hope the second special didn’t get cancelled tho :sunny:

On 11/19/2019 at 7:42 PM, n1029 said:

You were deluding yourself if you thought the FIM finale was ever going to be the end of the mane 6. They're the most iconic characters the franchise has ever had and I expect they'll be playing a major role in G5 as well. From a brand preservation perspective, you don't just drop them all out of some vague "originality" aspiration. Sometimes sticking with the characters you've got is the right way to go in maintaining the entertainment value and popularity of a franchise.

Especially given what company FiM belongs to.  Given that Hasbro does the same thing with Transformers, I'm not surprised that they would do this with their My Little Pony franchise.  Like if audiences can deal with the autobots of G1 being different with the autobots from Transformers Animated and the autobots from animated being different from their counterparts in Transformers Prime, than I'm sure that they can handle the mane 6 from Friendship is Magic being different from their counterparts in Pony Life.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 2

On 11/21/2019 at 3:02 AM, Denim&Venom said:

MLP-Pony-Life-Title.jpg

Fluttershy looking so .MOV in that image!

Lauren Faust is turning in her grave! The MLP she created is being abused to trashed like it was worth nothing!

What I want to say first is that I will give this series a watch. I want to give it a chance. However, I don’t have a good feeling about it. It looks too silly and it reminds me of Teen Titans Go! (I know that comparison has been made to death but it’s true). 

Also, those dolls are hideous. 

8 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

Well, you'd think if she had died the forums would be in mourning black, or something...

I was dressed in mourning black the day she quit (got fired from) Hasbro.

I have heard that many "bronies" are reacting negatively to the new Pony Life series. Even when we only got the commercial and a few images, it seems to send the bronies back to the stone age (before they were bronies, and didn't accept watching cartoons for 8-10 year old girls). Funny that I am calling myself a brony, and I am still acting negatively to the new Pony Life series. I wonder what defines a brony anyways? Maybe I am not a brony?

Still, Lauren Faust will be missed!

It would be really REALLY funny if Pony Life was better than FIM, and a new wave of people, calling themselves "Lifers" would start making Youtube videos of how bad the previous generations were, including the bronies :mlp_icwudt::orly::oneheckofahat:

• Brohoof 2

I'm gonna give Pony Life a chance just like I did when I first watched Equestria Girls. I didn't expect to like EQG at all, but I ended up quite liking it. Heck, I didn't expect to like FiM, yet here I am. Maybe PL will be really clever and self-aware in the midst of the slice of life antics. Maybe it'll actually prove to be an entertaining spinoff. But I'm just getting so many Teen Titans Go vibes from this...

I had to check out what this "Teen Titans Go" was all about. While I can see a resemblance to Pony Life, I don't know it it looks the same.

At least it is animated...

I am more scared it will be like "Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", which is basically just keyframes with stretched body animations:

• Brohoof 2

I can see why people are skeptical, but I'm going to give this an honest chance. Judging it now isn't being very fair, so I have nothing to say until I see it in action.

• Brohoof 1

Just go watch Unikitty and be happy, people. I'm pretty sure it will be a better version of whatever this would turn out to be, and somewhat a more true spiritual successor of MLP, at least from what the aspect of MLP that Pony Life seems to be emphasizing.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

2 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

Just go watch Unikitty and be happy, people. I'm pretty sure it will be a better version of whatever this would turn out to be, and somewhat a more true spiritual successor of MLP, at least from what the aspect of MLP that Pony Life seems to be emphasizing.

How do you know it's better when we know so littlte abotu this? (Admittedly, topping Unikitty would take some work - but give it a chance.)

• 7 months later...