Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Your Stance on Wireless Earbuds?

Rarity Gemstones

In this ongoing world of technological advancements, many are seeking to add more convenience to their lives, and one of these many conveniences is the combination of the wireless headphone set and the earbud headphone set. This marriage of the two items has resulted in some mixed results as the wireless earbuds. Perhaps the most famous or infamous of these two being Apple's "Airpods". Which controversially are perhaps some of the worst wireless earbuds on the market price, quality and environment wise, however people still flock to this convenience.

What is your stance on this trend? Will the Wireless earbud take over, or will it fall flat?

The positives of Wireless Earbuds:

• Small, good for working out.
  • Wireless charging cases, meaning exceptional battery life (Outside of Apple's airpods which apparently degrade in battery quality quickly)
  • No cords means the most prominent problem with earbuds breaking does not exist. (often times, they break solely because the cable is damaged)

The negatives:

• Very expensive. While Apple's are overpriced starting at $140 USD, you can actually find alternatives for as low as $50, but this is still a fair significant margin higher than standard wired earbuds.
  • Difficult to repair.
  • Easy to lose.

I don’t want them only cause I would have to charge them and I already have to charge a phone, an iPad, a couple of DSs (mostly the new one), and probably something else so I wouldn’t be able to keep track of them. Even though wires are annoying I would rather not have to charge the earbuds just to connect them to a device.

I love wireless earbuds. Wires are such a hassle (especially when I'm working and have to move away from my desk very often), and I've lost so many pairs of headphones to wire damage, so it's actually cheaper in the long run for me to go wireless. The pair I have was only $40, and as a bonus they sound better than the $20 Skullcandy Ink'd 2 earbuds I used to get. Bluetooth also got very seamless when 5.0 released, to the point where the delay is barely noticeable and connecting to your phone or computer is faster than plugging in a wire. At that price point wireless earbuds are really hit or miss though, so you have to be careful about brand. I recommend Mpow.

As for Airpods; they're terrible. They look stupid, aren't comfortable, don't sound as good as options at lower prices, and are sold by a sleazy company. Honestly, unless a person has the extra money or works with audio as a hobby / profession / whatever, there's no point in spending over $100 on headphones.

I didn't thought that I would need it so much before I got one. I bought myself a cheap set of earbuds (qcy-t1) and they were 100 times more convenient than any of my wired earphones. Now I have Sony's WF-1000XM3 and they have noise cancelling features, which is good because I usually listen to my music by my phone in a bus. They are quite expensive, but I use them all the time outdoors and personally I don't regret.

Is it worth it? It depends on the person who's using it. I always use them outdoors and I really don't like the wires getting entangled. I'm willing to give up some audio qualities for convenience, and I don't use them more than 4 hours. I also don't use them for phone calls, so keep in mind that very little wireless earbuds are barely passable. I heard that Airpods are mostly famous for better phone call qualities.

I suggest you getting a cheap 10-20$ earbuds (qcy-t1 or qcy-t5) and try that out first. Then move on.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

I do not like wireless headphones and I do not like earbuds, so - no to wireless earbuds :twismile:. I use either over-the-ear headphones (at home or in some other place) or smaller on-ear headphones (Koss Porta Pro) when I am outside or in some place where I do not want noise isolation.

Edited by Pentium100

I don't like wireless earbuds, but I do have a pair of wireless headphones. Super comfy, and I only use them when I'm on a plane or something because they're so expensive. I actually got them as a Christmas present a while back.

I honestly would prefer to have a pair of wireless earbuds myself. My research of the Apple Pro variety seems pretty positive so I may be looking to get those, though I get they don't have the best sound quality.

As it stands I currently use the regular wired earbuds from Apple and haven't had a complaint with him. Comfortable and decent sound quality; which is all I expect tbh.

Admittedly; I'm an Apple shill, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. :p

I don’t mind wireless since it’s useful when it comes to working out or out for a run. But I also use the wire ones in case the power is dead for backup.

That's a no from me as Gordon Ramsay would say I don't even like bluetooth headphones and those are over ear headphones. Only headphones I use are the ones you connect to your phone, music should be listened to in the highest of quality possible. Yet that said, I have pulled laptops off tables onto the ground as they were connected so I'll give them the benefit of being convenient as they say. 

Edited by Fluttershyfan94
  • Brohoof 1

I've never found them to be worth it, not cheapies, especially not expensivies. Sure, they are easily portable and discreet, but if I am going to pay for something like this, I am going to buy proper headphones and a good set that is above all else comfortable. Ear buds are also irritating for me personally as I rock back and forth a lot sub consciously, and that is amplified when I am listening to music, I go with the beat. Sometimes these things fall out when I do that so, big no bueno for me.

• Brohoof 1

I owned a pair for a while. I enjoyed the portability of them a lot, and I would be using them a lot more if I didn't get my Sony WF-1000XM3 lol.

I don't know much about sound quality to really tell if my wireless earbuds sound nice or not, but if I did, I would still trade it off to get rid of the wires anyway. Wires are disgusting :eww:

I'm an audiophile and kind of a stickler for good sound, so I usually prefer headphones. (I'm also 28, so eh) That said, expensive wireless earbuds have some decent sound. My main beef with earbuds in general is they hurt my ears. I'm not sure why, but I want to say they have a lot of high frequencies in them. My ears hurt after using them. If this isn't a problem you have with earbuds, you're okay with sound that's not bad but also not 'accurate', and you don't mind throwing down the cash, then get the earbuds. Wireless is really convenient.

@Rarity Gemstones
Moving to Media Discussion, as this is where technology is discussed.

I don’t own a pair of these but I feel like they would constantly fall out if you’re moving consistently? I still want a pair though.

1 hour ago, Bakugou Is My Man ❤ said:

@Rarity Gemstones
Moving to Media Discussion, as this is where technology is discussed.

I don’t own a pair of these but I feel like they would constantly fall out if you’re moving consistently? I still want a pair though.

I have heard of such concerns. I believe many models are designed with, what's the English word... Hooks? I hope I am articulating that correctly. Essentially, they are extra precautions that hook into the canal of the human ear. I can not attest to their effectiveness though as genetically speaking all races have different ears, so it would be challenging to make a "one design fits all", as it were.

• 2 weeks later...

I own a pair of wireless earbuds, and they're honestly great for every day use. They're especially useful when I'm at the gym or on a run, since you don't have to worry about wires getting tangled or damaged, which happens a lot more than you'd think, especially when you're exercising.

Definitely avoid Apple Airpods, overpriced as hell and break very easily. Go for something like Soundpeats or Raycon, much more bang for your buck.  

who knew that earbuds would be controversial

i have a pair of airpods and i ain't going back to wired anytime soon

• Brohoof 1