Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any races on the show you didn't like?

Azureth

I think the only moment I actually thought fondly of the yaks was when Yona was recalling her family traditions:mlp_wat: it always seemed like they wanted nothing to do with the ponies so it was weird how featured they were in the later seasons.

Totally agree with Jane up there too, why was it always the non-pony races that had to learn from the ponies? Of course the mane 6's purpose was to spread friendship and all, but was there really never a point where the ponies could have learn from the non-ponies? The gryphons and their history, the changelings and their stong bonds, the yaks and their community, the adaptability of the hippogriffs... just seems like there was a lot of opportunity there, especially to teach the lesson that, y'know, you can find knowledge anywhere.

honestly, Celestia and Luna could have learned a thing or two from Thorax and Pharynx :sealed:

• Brohoof 1

I was more of a pony person so I never really cared much for too many of the other species. I like the dragons, the seaponies from the movie, I even like the Yaks because the way they talk always makes me laugh. :laugh: The species we get earlier on in the series I like, the further we get into the show, the less I like the new ones.

I don't really like it when the other species take over in a show called My Little Pony and I think that the Student Six, my least favourite characters, made me realise that even more. :mlp_wat:

Edited by TomDaBombMLP
  • Brohoof 3

The only races I didn't like were the under-utilized ones. Cows are a race. So are the Buffalo, the Breezies and many others. It's not that they're bad, but very little is revealed about them and we forget about them. 

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, Stancet said:

The only races I didn't like were the under-utilized ones. Cows are a race. So are the Buffalo, the Breezies and many others. It's not that they're bad, but very little is revealed about them and we forget about them. 

I'm in the same boat tbh. Probably the one I would like to know more about are the donkeys and how they fit in as a race.

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, Stancet said:

3 minutes ago, Pathfinder of Ash said:

I'm in the same boat tbh. Probably the one I would like to know more about are the donkeys and how they fit in as a race.

Nopony ever aaaasked the sheep for any information about how their society operates either. :P

• Brohoof 2

The original post being over a year old, I'm going to give my updated opinion. First off, my opinions on Yaks, Changelings, and Dragons still stand. I still am not a fan those three, so nothing has changed on that front. When it comes to griffons and Hippogriffs though I have softened up a bit. I still am not interested in them the way I am about ponies, but for being side characters every so often, they worked. Plus, their designs are actually decent.

Some I'd like to add, however, are some of the more obscure species that can found in the 2017 movie and/or the 'season 10' comics. These creatures just tended to be strange anthropomorphic versions of animals that didn't really fit with the feel of My Little Pony. Plus, they ended up just being heavily used in the 'S10 comics' terrible plot, so they've left a bad taste in my mouth.

Part of what I tend to dislike about non-ponies is how they ended up way more developed then special kinds of ponies such as Batponies and Kirin. I feel like a show writers should've prioritized developing these unique pony types over introducing more and more non-pony creatures.

The dragons i didnt like at first, how they were portrayed as just one group in a wasteland felt dumb but introducing a dragon lord made sense. the buffalos are eh and id probably hate the yaks but prince rutherford is pretty funny usually so they dont get on my nerves save for a few bad episodes. i can see why most dont like them

also the way zebras were portrayed in idw was disappointing and a lot more boring than i expected

Edited by reesespuffed

On 2020-05-14 at 6:27 PM, Denim&Venöm said:

I wasn't too fond of he Running of the leaves. We never did find out who won. 

The racetrack used for the soapbox derby  in "The Cart Before the Ponies" was awkwardly situated as well. 

---

Seriously, I wasn't a big fan of the Changelings or their super-bright reformed designs. :awed:

• Brohoof 1

The changelings were the most badass species in the show until they metamorphosized, and it was meh in their every subsequent appearance. Curiously, that softened a bit with Ocellus when I watched some of the last seasons. 

I was never that crazy about the yaks. I didn't mind them, same with a handful of other species that aren't changelings, dragons, griffons, or breezies (those four, by the way, I still think are a nice touch). Just that adding one species/mythical creature after another only for them to get sporadic appearances if any at all was yet another thing that dragged down the latter seasons.

Folks, there's world building, and there's introducing a bunch of concepts and underutilizing them.

• Brohoof 2

For me its mostly underused races:

• Dragons
  • Kirines
  • Breezes 
  • Changlings

SOOOO much could have been done with them :mlp_wat:

• Brohoof 2

Well in my opinion, I think that they shouldn't have introduced that many species and instead expand a lot more on a few specific species in the series, like really dive into their history and their lore, and really flesh out their characters. At least for me, it seems like they have a million different species that are all quite shallow.

• Brohoof 2