Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

sonata_fluff

The never-ending debate of urban vs nature makes me wonder; Of which do you prefer? Me, as an environmentalist I tend to lean more in fantasizing of abandoning everything and living in the woods.

What do you think? 

• Brohoof 1

I like suburbs.

Nature can be beautiful, but I could never live there. I like internet, air conditioning/heating, close proximity to stores, restaurants, and medical care. Nature is quite frightening - there are scary creatures like bears and mountain lions. Nature also has dangerous insects like mosquitoes and ticks. Unfortunately, they make it into town, as well, but they are MUCH more numerous out in nature. Plus, I flat out don't like being outside. I hate sunshine and heat. Just puts me in a rotten mood. Perhaps temperatures in the 40s and 50s F and overcast skies would be delightful, but nature is rarely like that.

Cities, I don't have much experience with. I know they are prone to high crime, so I wouldn't want to live there. I go to the local city to see symphonies sometimes, but it's a bit frightening because it's very dangerous in the city, especially after dark.

Suburbs are nice. I always want to live in suburbs.

• Brohoof 2

I like nature, but I prefer urban areas. Not that I want to live in either though, I would rather live in an area that is slightly populated than a completely isolated or densely populated area. No one around is dangerous but so is too many people around.

• Brohoof 2

Urban. My family needs the accessibility.

But someone told me about having met this druidic couple. They lived near the edge of a forestal area between nature and civilization. So, they had access to technology, transportation and other commodities like wi-fi. This people were also able to cultivate some food on their own, as well as driving to the nearest super-market if needed. They shared a very interesting philosophy, too.

This seems to be the most reasonable compromise for those who want to live near nature. Also, they were pretty competent and self-sufficient. Since I have heard about inexperienced people trying something similar, and their situation was fairly precarious. Just imagine a community of malnourished and sick city people living in makeshift tents. While others went at it alone, and ended up becoming one with nature. As in bear food.

Really, I don't think you want to try this without the necessary means. Especially if you are the kind of person that romanticizes nature. It will kill you.

5 hours ago, Brony Number 42 said:

I like rural areas and small towns.

I live in a city right now but for years I lived in the middle of the woods and miss the nature.  A small town or city would do me just fine or living closer to the woods. :pout:

• Brohoof 2

Accessibility really is a big issue. I'd love to have a few acres, a bit of a wooded area to wander, a space where birds, deer and other animals feel welcome. But I'd also like to be within a mile of town so that me and my family could still reach everything in reasonable time if anything were to happen.

Also my future kids need good pickings for trick or treating.

• Brohoof 2

I have lived on the countryside my entire life, so I would choose nature. But I must say I like quiet nature, not shared with people (neighbors in particular).

Rural. Lots of people romanticize nature to the point where I don't feel like they understand it. But urban areas like massive cities or suburbs are places I find to be dirty, cramped, and incompatible with my views on reality. 

Urban all the way. I used to live in a rural area and it was torture. Here in the big city I have access to anything I want. And I don't have to worry about power outages every ten minutes, stores closing at 8pm, or the lack of goods and services. Beauty of nature is fine and all, but I can drive out of town if I get desperate to look at trees and stuff, which I never do. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

I grew up in a town surrounded by forests. I love nature and it is important to me. Though I also enjoy having urban features in my proximity. Normally I prefer to live in suburb where I have still nature around me and the city is not so far away

I live in a rural area, so I think it counts as nature. I love it better here than compared to when I lived in a urban area. I have more freedom to express myself, I can do some walking/running and do some fitness in my 1 acre lot yard. Also, there are barely any trees in our yard, so we tend to have more sunlight around our house. Also, I noticed how the night sky is lighter than when I lived in the urban area, where it was darker. So that means city pollution brings forth darker night sky while clean rural brings forth lighter night sky. Also, the nearest grocery store is only approx 10 minutes away from where I live. The nearest urban area is 30 minutes away, so it quite far out. As long as I have everything I need to live here in a rural area, then sure I wouldn't give up living in nature. 

• Brohoof 1

Born as a urban pony surrounded by cars, traffic, subway and a busy life. In my late teens I moved far out in the rural Wastelands, have never ever looked back.

If I want city life it's about 1hour of driving. Everything I need is in reach by post and internet shoping these days. Also my workplace is just 30min from home.

The nature and calm rural atmosphere is what I need to exist, it's my way of life now.