A question for female bronies

FedoraMemes

Ladies: Pegasister or Brony?  

59 users have voted

1. 1. Do you consider yourself a Pegasister or a Brony or either?

• Pegasister
    • Brony
    • Either

(edited)
Brony can apply to everybody, Pegasister sounds a bit feminine. Edited by SamtheLegoman

I personally think that Pegasister sounds pretty sweet.

I really don't care what you ladies like to call yourselves, but I think Pegasister sound cool.

plus brony is kinda a combination of bro and pony and I wan't aware that girls were called bros

ezgif-2-b94ab321a5f6.gif.93cf1fcecd06e4273f8ea7a74cb185ff.gif 

I tend to take the high road, get stoned, and fly low . . .

I would like the preface this by saying I have no problems with people knowing I like MLP.

I have to ask why I can't just be a member of the herd? Fans of Doctor Who are just called Whoovians and unless I missed something (Please let me know if I did) the name has nothing to do with gender, past or present, while Brony does. I understand that Brony can be used for any fan of MLP but can't there be a better term. It seems futile to argue this, what with all the shirts that say brony. It is one of my only problems with the fandom and to this day I cannot call myself a Brony and correct people when they call me one.

I use Pegasister, because when I called myself a brony everyone thought I was a guy xD Anyway, I think Pegasister sounds pretty cool :D
  • Brohoof 1

21f00h4.jpg

I kind of use them both interchangeably for myself, though I tend to go with "pegasister" in places that are less pony-friendly. I don't find that having a different term makes me any less equal, I just think it's fun to make up words, and pegasister is a fun word. Brony does flow a bit better for "people outside the target audience, typically male, who are nonetheless diehard fans" though, especially because, well, the fact that it's a bunch of guys watching a cartoon for "little girls" is what has non-fans paying so much attention. I don't think the fandom would get more than a slight glance if the main periphery demographic were female.

• Brohoof 1

Wasn't "brony" supposed to have something to do with "bro pony" or something? I think "pegasister" is just a play on words, too, and we already use gender-specific terms in everyday life such as he, she, man, woman, miss, mister, sir, ma'am, etc, and often not playfully either. Bro is a term that usually refers to a male and is suggestive of gender in itself, but as the fandom has kaboomed to include so many people outside of the target age range now I don't see why any specific names for non-specific factions should be required instead of using one big, familiar umbrella term. Seems silly to fuss over either.

• Brohoof 1

I personally don't care what I am called.

But I think that some women get angered when they're called a pegasister because it is an isolating term, used to seperate the fandom into gender groups. I'd kind of like to believe that bronies are all for equality, and I guess having a word that divides people into categories goes against the notion.

Or something.post-674-0-28365600-1341369067.png

• Brohoof 1

RwT75Mq.png

• 7 months later...

I have a question for our members of the fairer sex. Do you consider yourself a Pegasister or a Brony? And why?

I'm sure I don't need to remind anyone reading this, but regarding questions about people's personal choices, there are no wrong answers! I'm just curious is all.

Edited by decoherence
  • Brohoof 3

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

My signature broke

sad.png

hmm i refer to myself regularly as a brony, but when i want others to know my gender i may drop the term pegasister.

i don't quite understand all the hate towards the word, i think its cute and endearing. i don't mind using either term, so i guess i like both.

Edited by crazitaco

aNSgamg.png

*Click the picture to join the Nega-Bronies!*

"Every cloud has a silver lining" *except for the mushroom-shaped ones which have a lining of Caesium-127, Strontium-90 and other radioactive isotopes.

My OC: http://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/krazie-taco-r3366

I don't think it matters. Pegasisters and Bronies basically made the fandom community as a whole with the show. So I say in my opinion, as a guy, you can choose whether you want to be classified as a brony or pegasister.

The video below explains it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV-OF9wZWDs

• Brohoof 7

I'm a guy, but a poll might come in handy just so we can see where everyone stands don't you think? I'd like to see how many of each personally :)

I guess it'd be handy for something but I'm more interested in reasons than numbers. Besides, those numbers are always changing anyway.

• Brohoof 1

hmm i refer to myself regularly as a brony, but when i want others to know my gender i may drop the term pegasister.

i don't quite understand all the hate towards the word, i think its cute and endearing. i don't mind using either term, so i guess i like both.

The hate for the term comes from reacting to it's origin.  It was invented by a femanist(though in her article she claims it existed before hand) who was NOT a part of the fandom and had only begrudgingly(pay attention to her tone and you'll spot it) watched some of the show.  She also lambasted the term Brony as being more or less a sexist term.

Here's a link to the article and you should have seen how many bronies, many of them female, reacted negatively to the term back when it first came out.

http://globalcomment.com/welcome-to-the-herd-a-feminist-watches-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic/

Something else of note:  At the time that this article came out, many female fans of the show were referred to as Fillies.

Edited by Leatherneck
  • Brohoof 3

I guess it'd be handy for something but I'm more interested in reasons than numbers. Besides, those numbers are always changing anyway.

if you do make a poll, could you please include a middle ground, such as "both" or "either"? because there's some people (myself included) who might be neutral on the whole thing. :D

• Brohoof 1

aNSgamg.png

*Click the picture to join the Nega-Bronies!*

"Every cloud has a silver lining" *except for the mushroom-shaped ones which have a lining of Caesium-127, Strontium-90 and other radioactive isotopes.

My OC: http://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/krazie-taco-r3366

I don't even like calling myself a "brony". Can't we just be fans?

I love that John De Lancie and Tara Strong video explaining the distinctions between different branches of the fandom though. :)

• Brohoof 2

Laxnggg.gif

if you do make a poll, could you please include a middle ground, such as "both" or "either"? because there's some people (myself included) who might be neutral on the whole thing. :D

I knew there was something that didn't sit right with me about a poll and you just put your hoof on it. Thanks! Polls away! Insight incoming! Have I hit 100 characters yet?

I have always preferred Pegasister, but sadly that monicker seems to have fallen out of favor. I think it sounds cooler than Brony, anyway. Brony always makes me think of Brawny paper towels! 

• Brohoof 1

imageproxy_php.gif.79d30fb629f5f637d2be13581d906b35.gif

Thank you Sparklefan1234!!!