Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Alicorn OCs

PonyPowaX1000

i think the main problem with alicorn OCs is the people who make them, as most seem to be extreamly over powered, and such, and i think it would be hard to make such characters and make them realisitic and balenced

I would say that it would be a no no and strongely discouraged however I am not going to stop someone from doing what they want to do. It is their story after all and it is ultimately my choice as to whether I read their stroy or not. So if they want to make an OC alicorn they can knock themselves out I am not going to stop them.

I don't really care if people have alicorn Oc's, if people want a powerful OC like Celestia, Luna and Cadence, good for them, and good luck with the people who hate alicorn OC's. The only issue I have seen is when people are roleplaying and everyone else is a unicorn or pegasus, it may be a bit unfair on the other ponies, as they are limited in some way.

People can make whatever OC's they want. Nobody can really stop them.

I personally don't like Alicorn OC's as they always seem out of place, especially as the show seems to depict them as very rare. Sometimes they can be ok, if they are the children of one of the canon Princesses, but usually they aren't so it makes little sense. But to each their own i guess.

i think it ok to have a Alicorn in a story if it serves a purpose to make the story more enjoyable, as for people who have there OC as Alacorns yeah it seems kinda smugy but its personal preference, its not like there gona use "im an alacorn" in an actual discussion

how ever i have a big issue with them in RP because i hate any form of god moding and i think the only alacorns who should be in a RP are Luna Celestia and Candice.

I don't mind if ppl have an OC alicorn, but when it comes to rp and stuff, the ideas of power and balance of other ponies come to mind, but it shouldn't matter. but everyone should be treated with respect and equality, so the rules should apply for everyone.

Mary Sue's suck. Alicorns basically come with power. If you can make a good alicorn who is balences and has evident flaws, go for it! Same goes with all characters. It is not their race, but their flaws. Flaws need to be evident, or else people do not like the character. No perfect characters.

Yep, that's pretty much it.

• Brohoof 1

It's totally okay to have Alicorn OCs, but there has to be some small changes... They must either saw off their horns or cut off their wings!

I think Alicorns are very overpowering unless you put a cap on their powers like how far they can fly or how much energy they can use a day.

• Brohoof 1

@@PonyPowaX1000, I have a Alicorn OC, but it must serve a propose.

@, Argeed, as long a alicorn OC has its balance.

@@PonyEcho, I agree, but I have a alicorn OC.... "HEY GUYS LOOK I AM A ALICORN!"

@@Mindrop, Like mine got his flank handed to him even with direct help from Luna, Celestia, Rarity and Twilight... He was going to outright be killed if it wasn't for some extra help... o.o, mostly because he accepted a duel that he knew he would get himself killed :(

@, Ya Even in Roleplay I normally would use a new OC for this. No reason to play unfair... there no challenge in that :D

As my OC is part Alicorn i feel that i have some say in this... though i dought i do.

The reason i'm part Alicorn is because at Autumn time i turn into a Alicorn to bring the season of Autumn my horn can only be used to control plants so i don't think i'm over powered at all!

But yeah :) It's a story so it's up to you! :3

• Brohoof 1

It's fine in fanfics, but alicorns in roleplays drive me crazy. Alicorns are Mary/Gary Sues and I don't think they should be allowed as I find them cheaters. If everypony in the roleplay is royal, or choose not to be royal, it's fine.

I see very little point in an alicorn OC, to be honest. Unless the alicorn is royalty, a leader, or a ruler/representative of some sort of important concept, I do not think it makes sense or can be very well justified. Yes, the alicorn can have flaws and be depowered. But then, why do they even need to be an alicorn if they don't have as good abilities? Would it not simply be better to be some other type of pony? Alicorns are by nature more powerful than other ponies, and even if one was depowered, it serves very little purpose to have an alicorn other than for the reasons I stated. It could make for an interesting character, but since I prefer canon above all else, it just doesn't fit regarding the cannonical universe of the show. Alicorns are not common, and they should not be.

Most alicorn OCs just seem kind of like they're alicorns for the sake of being alicorns, and are very rarely pulled off well in any sort of circumstance. Thus, yes, I have a rather large bias against them. Especially if someone's ponysona is an alicorn. It seems rather self-centered and like loads of wish-fulfillment in most occasions. I'm not saying an alicorn OC can't be pulled off. They can. But most of the time, they're not. (One of the few alicorn OCs I really think is pulled off well is Lauren Faust. She invented ponies as we know them, and she really is the ruler of Equestria in my eyes. So she deserves it, and it makes heaps of sense.)

If someone wants to, they can feel more than free to go ahead to do it. I won't say anything. But they certainly won't win any approval from me.

• Brohoof 3

Alicorn OCs are cool. They certainly looks great with a grand total seven limbs protruding from their body

The real criteria is whether the owner can create a believable backstory or not. If all you can do was s/he was an alicorn just because s/he was cool and boss at live, do humanity a favor and choke yourself to death

because s/he was cool and boss at live, do humanity a favor and choke yourself to death

I agree with this.... oddly I do.... I hope I am not in that category... *Prepares to choke himself* :(

Many people yell at me cause people think mines an Alicorn but mines is a Pegacorn. Pegacorns are not as powerful as Alicorns and they live normal life spans.

Also I use the Pegacorn OC in my FanFic as a shunned pony, who has to fight for him self in most situations.

• Brohoof 1

Only if they can be worked into the shows canon in a unique or interesting way (for example, Celestia and Luna's family or say, an entire colony of alicorns that live somewhere isolated.) Also, the character has to be likable and well-written. Sure, that's the rule for most characters, but alicorns especially. If your character is an alicorn and not well-written they're going to be called Mary-Sues no matter what. Heck, even if your alicorn is well-written it's going to be called a Mary-Sue, but probably less so.

@@CrazyClay, Ya, which I hope people understand that.

Alicorns in my eyes are just Jack of all trades but they are not specialized in one thing. They are ambassadors of all the races of pony kind, even Celestia and Luna can be defeated easy(Even when they are thousands of years old) its been done in canon a few times. Alicorns also don't have much freedom as normal ponies, they are limited for royal duties and not always can train to be the best flyer, magic user or amazing farmer. They are leaders that can fill a gap when needed. They have far more responsibilities than a normal pony and can be such a stressful position. They can dispel others but can't handled being overwhelmed.

remember, in a world of magic anything can happen and the tides can change in a single moment, where pure numbers matter over pure power.

Now is someone made a Fausticorn OC then I would be against it, that's true unlimited power... thats something to consider every brony and pegasister.

I've made my OC Silvermist for a character-development-experiment (which I am fully intent on converting into a comic so I can actually interact with her as I build her storyline along with the viewer's feedback). Taking the 'alicorn route' was more natural in my sense because of her personality, philosophy and what is supposed to be her background.

However for my (ponysona) would definitely be an earth pony. I see nothing special about myself and a diligent strive for self-perfection and expanding capability best represents my view on my own life and therefore it would suit me better if I had no special-born-with-it feature.

-If the Alicorn has all of the following colors:

Black, Red, Gray

Those 3 are probably the least original colors an Alicorn OC can have

-If the Alicorn has a dramatic backstory, such as......

The Creator of the Elements of Harmony

it'll turn into a mary-sue

-If the Alicorn has evil intentions in Equestria....

That doesn't fit in the MLP universe, and trying to make it fit in will only lead to God-Mod

I don't like using Alicorn OC's, however fellow members are able to use them properly Coughcough-Taggie-coughcough

.........but if I hear somepony say that their Ponysona is an Alicorn, I will rage-quit this whole thing o3o

• Brohoof 3