Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Alicorn OCs

PonyPowaX1000

Only if they can be worked into the shows canon in a unique or interesting way (for example, Celestia and Luna's family or say, an entire colony of alicorns that live somewhere isolated.) Also, the character has to be likable and well-written. Sure, that's the rule for most characters, but alicorns especially. If your character is an alicorn and not well-written they're going to be called Mary-Sues no matter what. Heck, even if your alicorn is well-written it's going to be called a Mary-Sue, but probably less so.

I actually RPed. And somewhere there is an isolated Archipegalo populated by 1000 something Alicorns, they fear Pegasi as the Pegasi Empire brought a genocide upon them and nearly wiped them all out thousands of years ago, they obviously have flaws as they got beaten by flying ponies who couldn't use magic.

This thread, well destroyed my chances... Seeing especially how many people hate alicorns, and especially, Ponysonas... I really don't know what i should do...

You see, i created my ponysona, long before i joined the forums, i thought it was perfect, i thought, this is it, i made myself. I could never satisfy myself with being a pegasus, nor a unicorn, nor an earth pony, but when i tried on the alicorn accesories, it felt correct to me... In my mind, even it being an alicorn, made sence, because i created a story of mine in my head, but i do not wish to share it because i know how many people will dissagree... I never knew how the fandom reacted, and now, that i know, i feel sad....

Now, after joining the forums, i'm afraid that one day someone will come up and scream with words like "ugh, your ponysona is an alicorn? Get out of here. You suck." It feels, like this thing will be the one that won't let me fit in here... This will be the problem that won't let me find any friends.

What should i do?... Please help...

Must i now destroy this image? Must i now give up on it? Because to me, i couldn't do it...

Edited by Concord
  • Brohoof 1

You need to be really careful when writing an Alicorn OC. Good rule of thumb - if they're more powerful/better/more interesting than Celestia, rewrite it so they're not. Alicorns are really easy to go too far with, so I'm very leery when reading a fic that has an OC Alicorn.

I don't mind people creating alicorn OCs but they should keep in mind that alicorns are supposed to be rare and not overpowered, you can make them overpowered if you want but you should make a weakness that matches that power.

The thing I hate the most: Red and black Super Over Powered Alicorns with knifes or guns or skulls or flames as cutiemarks. I cant stand them. Why cant people just make RegularPonys?

See what I did there? RegularPonys? My user is aRegularPony? Get it? Oh, forget it...

• Brohoof 1

-If the Alicorn has all of the following colors:

Black, Red, Gray

Those 3 are probably the least original colors an Alicorn OC can have

Well, there goes my chance of being an Alicorn...

But anyway, It's only OC (I don't know what that means, but I guess it has something to do with Roleplays, Avatars etc.) It's not like it's canon and in the show or anything. In my case, if i'm an Alicorn in Roleplay, I normally just submit to attacks and stuff just because if not then I feel bad for others or the story won't flow.

Many people yell at me cause people think mines an Alicorn but mines is a Pegacorn. Pegacorns are not as powerful as Alicorns and they live normal life spans.

Also I use the Pegacorn OC in my FanFic as a shunned pony, who has to fight for him self in most situations.

I have an Alicorn in my fanfic who possibly could qualify. He's related to Celestia, and Cadance is his cousin, but I put him on the same page as Prince Blueblood. His father is a pegasus and his mother is a unicorn, so he's not immortal. My Alicorn is Protector of Trottingham, he's conceited and arrogant and ends up suffering a humilation conga when he takes on an enemy and gets his arse handed to him in the process. Eventually in the story he does end up defeating the enemy, but only after much magic coaching by Twilight. Basically, his magic is bad cuz he doesn't practice. Even after practice, if, theoretically, he faced off against Twilight, she'd win. He eventually marries the mayor, an earth pony.

I'd say that Alicorns ought to be kept out of RP unless they're the canon Alicorns cuz they're just too powerful. Also, it's been established that they're rare so to have four or five popping up out of nowhere is a bit silly.

i think it ok to have a Alicorn in a story if it serves a purpose to make the story more enjoyable, as for people who have there OC as Alacorns yeah it seems kinda smugy but its personal preference, its not like there gona use "im an alacorn" in an actual discussion

how ever i have a big issue with them in RP because i hate any form of god moding and i think the only alacorns who should be in a RP are Luna Celestia and Candice.

Good to know......>.<

I think that when they introduced Cadance into the series they really opened the doors for Alicorn OC's. She doesn't serve any important role when we first meet her. She doesn't have strong powers like Luna of Celestia. Obviously Alicorns are very rare, but I think if you can explain their background enough, you can get away with it. The trouble is balance. You don't want to make them to OP. I have an Alicorn OC but she rarely, if ever, uses her wngs. She uses her magic and I play her as I would a Unicorn, where she has a talent in one general area of magic and that talent is symbolized in her cutie mark.

Balance is the key. Master that with an understandable backstory and you have yourself and Alicorn OC for any purpose.

This thread, well destroyed my chances... Seeing especially how many people hate alicorns, and especially, Ponysonas... I really don't know what i should do...

You see, i created my ponysona, long before i joined the forums, i thought it was perfect, i thought, this is it, i made myself. I could never satisfy myself with being a pegasus, nor a unicorn, nor an earth pony, but when i tried on the alicorn accesories, it felt correct to me... In my mind, even it being an alicorn, made sence, because i created a story of mine in my head, but i do not wish to share it because i know how many people will dissagree... I never knew how the fandom reacted, and now, that i know, i feel sad....

Now, after joining the forums, i'm afraid that one day someone will come up and scream with words like "ugh, your ponysona is an alicorn? Get out of here. You suck." It feels, like this thing will be the one that won't let me fit in here... This will be the problem that won't let me find any friends.

Must i now destroy this image? Must i now give up on it? Because to me, i couldn't do it...

Nah, I was the same way. My ponysona was an alicorn long before I joined these forms. Yes, I may not be able to join as many Rps with her and yes sometimes I take a little crap over her but over time as people have watched me RP, they see I can handle it. That opens the door for more Rps. You can't help who your ponysona is, its very personal, so don't even try. Just go with it and peoples opinions be famned.

• Brohoof 1

I am not fond with Alicorn OCs in the slightest, but I'm not going to judge anybody for it.

Additionally, I am leaning towards the 'dislike' side on pure black/white ponies, as I see them way too often.

• 6 months later...

Alicorn oc's are awful. People try to justify their oc and say they aren't good at magic, bad at magic, not royalty, etc. but if they suck at magic, then make them a freaking earth pony or pegasus.

Also, alicorns are supposed to be powerful (Celestia and Luna, also Chrysalis and Cadence, and Twily).

Also, I don't mean to be rude, but a pegacorn is dumb idea. Pegasi, earth ponies, and unicorns can interbreed. Also, why is it called a pegacorn, what about earth ponies? They exist too!

*ends rant*

The problem is not really with the race of the OC. The problem is with the writing I think it's possible to make a good character if it receives some kind of flaw that keeps it from becoming so powerful that makes the other characters irrelevant.

EDIT: I think that Nyx fits the bill.

Edited by moonlightavenger

I've never seen an alicorn pulled off well. 90% of the time, they are massively overpowered and are extreme mary-sues, and if they are not, then they are just like a regular pony except that it has wings and a horn. At that point, why would you even make an alicorn? Just makes you look like you're trying to attract some kind of special attention to your OC at that point.

I don't really like Alicorn OCs but, they aren't allowed for a reason. If they are overpowered, and don't have any weaknesses then there would be no point in creating one. Besides, it's better to make regular ponies instead of alicorns.

Well here I go, I actually designed an alicorn character for my fic. Since Im proud of her and how she came out ill even post her here for you all to do your worst.

9441601994_c788032777_c.jpg

And yes as most people rant here she could be consider OP. The thing with Alicorns OC's as I see it its not the fact they exist its the way they are used. Yes I created an almost perfect character but If i did so its because of a reason. (That reason its not playing on RP's or bother people). She has a purpose in my story and head canon a purpose that does not mess with the show or could create consequences to it. 

You see as the show tells us Alicorns are guides and guardians for a world that lives in a harmony that can be easily broken. If the OC is created with a reason and it can be fit into the world of MLP without breaking the reality then I think its ok. Truth is few writers or designers are able to do it, I dont know if i was able to but in the end eveypony is free to go creative while this do not bother the fun of others.

I have an alicorn OC and I think that as long as its not a Mary Sue, totally overpowered or completely bland, it's a good OC. My OC has Aspergers syndrome, likes dubstep music, slightly profane, caring but also bubbly. She also can grt angry easily. She is the Princess Of Imagination, which means she can create anything using her mind and has a unique power to bring her imagination to life.

@@Concord,

I would say go for it, follow your creative inspiration.  I don't understand why anyone would hate an alicorn ponysona.  It seems to me that a ponysona is wish-fulfillment, by definition.  "I wish I was a pony [or dragon, griffin, etc.] in Equestria, and this is what s/he looks like."  AFAICT the only reason I can see for complaint is if someone thinks, 'I love gardening and hiking in the forest, so behold, my beautiful Earth Ponysona, Faerie Leaf!1  Oh, what's this?  An Alicorn ponysona?  What, does somebody think they're better than me?!'  I would say, no, their Equestrian wish-fulfillment just comes in a different shape.  Why compare? 

I've seen a lot of anime-girl avatars here and have yet to encounter anyone saying, "AY!  NO HUMANS IN EQUESTRIA!  FAUST HATH SPOKEN!"  So why not an AlicAvatar?  At least, it wouldn't bother me--but then, maybe I am not yet enough of a brony to understand the true meaning of a ponysona to the community.  Disclosure: I don't have one myself, yet.  You can also cheat: if your avatar is a close-up of the head, "What a lovely unicorn!"  Flying, but with the forelock/mane just happening to flow in such a way as to conceal the horn: "Nice pegasus!"  This gets a bit harder if your Alicorn has the Astral Mane and Tail2 and the long, pointed horn like Celestia and Luna.  Even so, a close-up of the face that doesn't show the whole horn or enough of the mane to reveal its Astral nature would probably let you "be" your Alicorn ponysona without getting other Members' knickers in a knot.

RP's and Fanfics:

This is a bigger problem because your Alicorn ponysona/character is in direct interaction with other, ordinary ponies.  If s/he is a full-on divine Alicorn like Celestia and Luna, then s/he will very likely be OP for the game, hence the "No Alicorns" rule in most RP's.  Possible solution: start an RP about Alicorns, with challenges set to their power level.  Remember Eleazar's First Rule of Fanfiction:

Rule One: If you do anything to increase the protagonist's power, or make their life easier, you must also amplify their opponent or add extra difficulties to their life. You can't make Frodo a Jedi unless you give Sauron the Death Star. Otherwise, even if it is well-written in all other ways, your story will suck because the reader will know to expect an unending string of easy victories, leading them to neither wonder or care about what happens next. The Mary Sue is not defined by her power being too strong, but by her challenges being too easily overcome.

--Source

I have to admit, this thread has me thinking, 'Hmmm, interesting challenge.  How could I go about making a compelling Alicorn OC?'  I already have a few ideas... ;)

NOTES:

1. Any resemblance to any actual OC or ponysona named "Faerie Leaf" is unintentional and entirely coincidental.  I just pulled the name from my posterior without any thoughts about or intent to reference, any actual OC or ponysona or Forum member. 

2. I don't know if there's a proper term for the kind of mane/tail that Luna and Celestia have, that other Alicorns like Twilight and Cadence don't.

• Brohoof 1

my OC sometimes appears as an alicorn beacuse it was forced on him by a cult of nightmare moon worshippers who used him as a vessel for nightmare moon herself.

But, after celestia defeated the cult and all was right in the world again and stuff, he was stuck with the horn, and his magic is unpredictable at best so he never uses it, most of the time when he tries to use it, things tend to get....explody XD

The thing is, any pony character can be a Mary Sue. It's got nothing to do with the character's race, more to do with the way they are written. For example: compare these two characters.

Moonlight is an alicorn. She was made an alicorn by Princess Celestia cuz of her selfless work saving ponies' lives when an earthquake happened in Manehatten. Moonlight has a royal blue coat with an aqua blue mane and tail. Her cutie mark is a doctor's symbol cuz her talent is for healing magic. Moonlight often has attacks of self doubt, and feels very self conscious about her wings. She's not the best flyer; in fact, she describes herself as the worst flyer in the world. Every time she tries, she crashlands. She's paranoid that other ponies are laughing at her, so whenever possible, she walks or takes the train instead. Moonlight would love to have a special somepony, but she never can keep a relationship; she's far too clingy and possessive and drives stallions away. She doesn't know this, and wonders why she can never keep a coltfriend.  She often has attacks of paranoia, when she imagines her alicorn honour being taken away from her cuz she believes that she doesn't deserve it.

Serenity Jewel is an earth pony. She has a pale pink coat which sparkles in sunlight, and a mane and tail which is five different shades of pink. She lives in Ponyville and is best friends with the Mane Six. In fact, cuz of her special talent to do magic, which no other earth pony can do but her, she sometimes teaches Twilight how to do magic. Serenity Jewel is better at magic than Twilight, stronger than Applejack, has a sixth sense which warns her of danger which is better than Pinkie's Pinkie sense, can actually speak to animals far better than Fluttershy and can make a spell that gives her wings and makes her fly better than Rainbow. All of the Mane Six admire Serenity Jewel so much that Twilight created a new Element of Harmony just for her. It is the Element of Specialness and only Serenity Jewel can wield it. Everypony loves her cept for Trixie, who's her rival and is jealous of Serenity Jewel. Serenity Jewel would never dream of revenge, but can see with her sixth sense that bad things will happen to Trixie cuz of her hate and jealousy. Serenity Jewel is kind, sweet and just a teeny bit clumsy, but that doesn't matter cuz whenever she trips, a stallion will always catch her before she falls. She is best pony ever, and everypony knows it!

Ugh. I want to stab myself for typing that second character out. -.- See the difference? An alicorn isn't necessarily a Mary Sue, but you do have to do a lot more work to ensure that they're not. An earth pony can be a far worse Sue in the hands of a writer who only cares about wish fufillment and having her character be the best at everything.

• 1 year later...

Personally, I think of the different species like the different hardship levels of a game. Making an Alicorn oc is like playing on easy, unicorn is medium, pegasus is difficult, and making an Earth pony oc is like playing on show no mercy. This is because I think it takes more effort to make a character that isn't godlike, with magic ability and flight that can solve all their problems. Unicorns have magic andpegasus have flight which makes solving problems easier. But if your character is an earth pony, and their in a dangerous situation, they actually have to think things through because they don't have magic or flight to escape or save themselves. Having an Alicorn oc is basically the easier route you can take. Because if the character is in a dangerous situation, they don't have to really think things through to solve their problem and being godlike, it's like pitting Vegeta against Bambi- you know who's going to win.

Edited by Antidaeophobia
  • Brohoof 3

I have an Earth pony OC.

She's the one giving you the sly look in my avatar. XD

But yes, I agree. Most OCs, and especially alicorn OCs, seem to strike me as people desiring their character to be "the most special ever". It's perfectly natural to want a special and unique character, but instead of focusing on WHO they are, most people only seem to only focus on WHAT they are.

And despite it being canon that Earth ponies have their own abilities and magic unique to them, most people just don't see them as "special" enough to make their OCs one.

Edited by ShadOBabe

I think any race of ponies can be made into a bad oc, and really the whole 'there are no earth pony ocs' is false.
Almost everyone has one if they have a group of pony ocs. Honestly, I am getting tired of the whole alicorn debate.

• Brohoof 1