How do you type?

LightRaider

How do you type?  

125 users have voted

1. 1. How do you type?

• Cherry Pick
    • All 10 fingers (correctly)
    • Other (?)

It's called hunt-n-peck, not cherry pick.

Not that it matters half the time, since it is just un-bloody-natural to touch-type for regular day-to-day typing anyway.

Mind you, I learnt to use the Arrow Keys to move in FPSes before WSAD (not WASD, W/S A/D. Forwards/Back Left/Right) became the industry standard and long before I learnt how to write let alone type.

When it came to doing the typing lessons in Computer Studies in Years 9/10 (2002/2003) the teacher quickly gave up on trying to force me to "touch-type" when he noticed I was much faster and accurate using my variant of hunt-n-peck where I mix between index & middle fingers for rapid keystrokes and my hands freely and naturally flow over the keyboard, using pinkies for shift/ctrl/alt and thumbs/middles for spacebar depending on how often the keys I hit are close to the spacebar before/after it's needed.

That's also combined with the fact I keep my eyes on WHAT I'm typing as I'm typing and not what I've typed (aka: eyes on keyboard and not on the screen), since I'm faster at picking up errors right as I've typed them than I would be if I had to wait for the keystrokes to be registered by the software and system, and most errors I do end up making tend to be due to key-rollover as I'm typing as I think.

I basically use...wait, no...

Wait, yes. Geez, it's hard to say. 

I use my index and middle fingers to type. Mostly index, though.

I can't type without looking at  the keyboard, but I can write without looking at the paper. Weird, eh? Even if the keyboard doesn't have letters printed on it, I need to be looking at it just so that I don't entirely miss the keys.

Edited by AmberDust

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Lucky Bolt said:

I use both my hands to type...more than one finger, and I type pretty fast. 

used to test out at 46wpm with no uncorrected errors - haven't checked in over a decade though.

On 3/21/2015 at 6:03 AM, Technous285 said:

t's called hunt-n-peck,

This. Since the dawn of Computers thats the term because its literally what you are doing.

However for me, its sorta different. I kinda know where the keys are now, but having all my fingers on a keyboard seems unnatural. Mainly because most of my job is copying and pasting numbers. Sometimes i look at the keyboard to make sure i hit the write button, but most of the time i look at the screen and assume my fingers arent dumb...i mean hooves...i dont have fingers...

1 minute ago, Rainbow Dash said:

This. Since the dawn of Computers thats the term because its literally what you are doing.

However for me, its sorta different. I kinda know where the keys are now, but having all my fingers on a keyboard seems unnatural. Mainly because most of my job is copying and pasting numbers. Sometimes i look at the keyboard to make sure i hit the write button, but most of the time i look at the screen and assume my fingers arent dumb...i mean hooves...i dont have fingers...

Have to wonder how RaRa plays piano or octavia the cello fingerboard, too...

• Brohoof 1

I plink away with one or two fingers per hand most of the time, but if I'm really cranking up the speed I can sometimes add a finger or two to the mix. I don't have any real structure to the method though; I just bluff my way through and try to avoid making typos on every other word. 

• Brohoof 2

• 4 months later...