How do you type?

LightRaider

How do you type?  

125 users have voted

1. 1. How do you type?

• Cherry Pick
    • All 10 fingers (correctly)
    • Other (?)

I don't really know. I seem to type in some way I'd have to record to really understand. I use all 10 fingers but not in the way that is "normal". I really had to teach myself how to type before my school tried teaching it to everyone. After 7-9 years, I type the way I do and I don't think it would be easy to change. I even tried typing the "normal" way as my school taught, keeping my fingers on the middle row on asdf and jkl; but I can't do that without slowing down.

One of the major things I am forever thankful for, is that my mother made me pick up typing as a child. I'm currently sitting somewhere between 50-80 WMP I think, but it's still been a boon almost every day of my life. I spend a ton of time on the computer, and there were even a few classes where I took notes on my computer--which wouldn't have been possible honestly, or at least feasibly useful, unless I could pick up and put down words as quickly as I can.

"Hunt-and-peck" would've just been crippling by comparison. Honestly, I'm even considering taking programs back up to bring my WPM even higher, and seamlessly use 'special' characters, since I'm studying computer science/programming in college.

You know, I've never really payed attention to it, but looking at my hands now I seem to use mostly my left hand, with only the index finger of my right hand. And for my left hand I mostly use my index and ring fingers (with my thumb for the spacebar). I am still able to type at a decent speed without having to look at the keyboard much, though.

I use my index, middle and ring fingers to type on both hands. Also, I don't really follow the rule of "Left hand on ASDF and Right hand on GHJK." I use my left hand for Q, W, A, S, Z, E and X. And the rest for my right hand.

Edited by Flitter

I use both of my hands to write,but I've never really noticed which keys do i use when I write,as weird as it sounds.

Since I can't vote yet, I'll be verbal-ish.

I usually do what I call a mix of "Cherry-pick" and "Proper," or home-row.  I do not use Home Row position, but I technically cherry pick with all of my handly appendages.

I press the keys with my nose.  I got some funny looks in my computer programming class, I'll tell you that right now.

In all seriousness, one of my friends is trying to learn to type with a different keyboard layout.  I think he said it's called "dvorak".  You know, as opposed to "qwerty".  The traditional qwerty keyboard layout was designed so that typewriter keys wouldn't clash with each other and get stuck and jammed, but it's not the best or most efficient layout.  Many other layouts have been proven to be more efficient and easier on the hands.  I'd love to learn, but sweet merciful Gandhi, that would be so friggin hard.  I just don't know if it's worth the effort.  And of course, at the moment, I don't think you can buy keyboards with any other layout besides qwerty.  You have to just use software to reassign the key functions, and then just remember them.  My friend uses a website for learning the dvorak layout.  As I understand it, once you click in or whatever, and begin the session, it reassigns the keys, and as soon as you exit, it's back to normal.  Pretty snazzy.

I use all ten fingers actually, cherry picking drives me nuts cause of how slow it is. I got myself a typing tutor program for my computer when I was a kid and worked my way up to an average 60 words per minute. Could never really push beyond that without having a slew of errors for whatever reason. 60wpm is still a respectable speed though.  

Kind of a hybrid style. I've got my hands in the home row position, yet primarily use my pointer fingers to type and hit the spacebar w/ my thumbs. It's actually pretty fluid.

I'm surprised I passed my computers classes with how many times I flunked out of the typing tutorial program. 

I have to type with all ten fingers. It's how I have been taught in all of my lessons of keyboarding throughout the years. At least since middle school I've typed like this. I used to type with semi-Cherry Pick and semi-Ten Finger. It was some weird and demented looking method. But I currently type with Ten Finger Method.

• 3 weeks later...

I type the traditional way using all 10 fingers and have for years. I can currently get up to around 120 - 150 WPM with minimal errors.

I cherry pick myself. But sometimes, I use my thumbs usually for buttons located at the bottom, such as the space button. I'd like to learn how to use all ten fingers when typing, though.