mega thread What book are you reading?

Fridge

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Blood in the Streets: Investment Profits in a World Gone Mad by James Dale Davidson & William Rees-Mogg. I've never been one for fiction, and this book outlines some pretty good principles of financial investment - can highly recommend. I can send a free PDF link if anyone wants to read it and doesn't want to pay £44 on Amazon.

Currently reading 'Mythago Wood' by Robert Holdstock.  It's pretty good so far and the premise is quite different from anything else I've read.  Basically this guy lives near a very strange patch of woodland which seems to defy normal time and space, and anyone that spends long enough in proximity to this woodland gradually produces entities called Mythagos, first as little more than a presence in their peripheral vision but eventually fully formed physical beings often taken from human folklore and mythology.  I wasn't familiar with the author or any of his other work, the book was given to me by a colleague at work who thought I might enjoy it, and so far he was totally correct in his assumption.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I recently finished reading The Colour of Magic and Guard! Guards! from the Discworld series, by Terry Pratchett. Now, I was about to start with Mort. And I want to see death come to life, but there are so many things going on around here. Also, reading a book is like stepping into another reality for me. I get lost. It is like watching an actual movie in my head. It is such an amazing exercise of co-creative imagination to give recognizable faces and voices to these characters, to see the scenery and the entire narrative becoming a reality that goes beyond the written word.

So, if things calm down, that is the book I will be reading in the current of the future.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently making my way around Grady Hendrix's horror novels, I've read Horrorstor and I'm now on Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires. Next is My Best Friend's Exorcism!

I'm trying to get a hold of Jack Ketchum's Off Season, which inspired "The Hills Have Eyes", but it's been like pulling teeth trying to find copies. Can't find it in any book stores or libraries, so I guess I'm gonna have to go online for it.

I love horror novels :P In non-horror I'm about to start reading a book I got from work that is a 1960s account of the Nuremberg Trials, and along with that a book from the 1940s about a woman's experience in escaping nazi germany. WWII isn't my favorite historical subject, but I love antique books and just so happened to have these two with similar subjects, so I figured I'd read them back to back.

Also also also, I've been studying a couple of entomology textbooks, and I'm about to delve into one of the highest rated textbooks on coffee, how it's made, and its growing process.

So yeah, I really like books, and I tend to read a lot of them at once haha

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-02-15 at 1:33 PM, Cagey said:

I’m blowing through The Enchanted Kingdom on Fimfiction. It’s almost going by too fast. 

Heh, I read that around the same time you were!

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

31408557._SY475_.jpg

I recently finished reading Thomas Sowell's Wealth, Poverty and Politics: An International Perspective. This is something of a distillation and updating of the key ideas from his series on culture from the 1990s: Conquests and Culture: An International History, Migrations and Culture: A World View and Race and Culture: A World View. He argues that the assumption that outcomes would either be random or equal are fallacious as equality rarely exists in reality (such as the Earth's geography) and people are purposeful beings. He argues against those who believe that disparities between people are the result of genes, as well as against those who believe it is the result of discrimination. Sowell offers a third proposal which is that the extent to which a group is prosperous has much to do with their culture. He analyzes migration patterns, the data on race and IQ, economic prosperity, the extent to which a group is political, the extent to which a people is isolated, etc. to show the weakness of the other two's position and the merits of his.

For me, this served as a reminder of the key points from his culture trilogy as it has been years since I read those books.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

48851.jpg

I have recently started to read Harari's 21 Lessons for the 21st Century. Briefly, it is his attempt to prepare people for the upcoming decades, including biological engineering, the increasing value of data, and what will become of democracy.

Immediately, I disagree with how he defines "Liberalism", his support for equality and the welfare state, what appears to be anti-localist position, and his claim that technology will become so advanced that a "useless class" will emerge. Given that I already disagree with quite a few of his premises, I wonder to what extent I will be convinced by what he sets forth in this book: if further elaboration and nuance of his positions will make his claims more convincing, or the premises were more beside the point, or I will remain largely unconvinced.

Edited by Luna the Great of all the Russias
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2022-06-14 at 12:22 AM, Luna the Great of all the Russias said:

48851.jpg

I have recently started to read Harari's 21 Lessons for the 21st Century. Briefly, it is his attempt to prepare people for the upcoming decades, including biological engineering, the increasing value of data, and what will become of democracy.

Immediately, I disagree with how he defines "Liberalism", his support for equality and the welfare state, what appears to be anti-localist position, and his claim that technology will become so advanced that a "useless class" will emerge. Given that I already disagree with quite a few of his premises, I wonder to what extent I will be convinced by what he sets forth in this book: if further elaboration and nuance of his positions will make his claims more convincing, or the premises were more beside the point, or I will remain largely unconvinced.

This is very cool, thank you! The story is very cool, you use artistic and literary techniques very well. I like to write such literary texts, but when I have a task to write a research paper, I have problems. At https://assignmentbro.com/us/biology-assignment-help I always get help writing my written biology assignments that I get at university.

I love his books, I love watching lectures. One of the most prominent intellectuals of today.