Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What would you think of an online store catering directly to the needs of Bronys

Brooklyn Dash

So I'm in a business class at Arizona State, and I'm working in a group that was relatively randomly put together, but surprise! There's another brony in my group, so while we were all brainstorming business ideas in the group he and I threw out some pony ideas, the rest of the group wasn't into it. We broke off and are now doing our very own pony stuff!

So, I'd like to run this by some fellow bronies, because if at the end of this class we end up feeling like this is actually a strong idea, chances are good we'll make it into a real thing. So for the sake of bronydom, tell us what you would like to see in an online retailer oriented towards bronies but inevitably also including some non-brony parts of the my little pony community.

What we're thinking at this point is that the site will be an online retailer who works with Hasbro (similar to toybiz.com, but more specifically oriented towards the mlp community). We're interested in bringing merch made internationally to one central location (our online store) and keeping it in large quantities, buying all of the international pony merch we can find so that we can resell it to bronies worldwide. We're interested in buying quantities of custom-made merch from craftsponies and helping them sell it on our site, and we're considering doing a brony-to-brony and commissions section of the site, though at that point we run into copyright issues.

All merch would be similarly priced to the prices seen in physical locations (Target, Walmart), if not less expensive because we're looking into buying wholesale directly from Hasbro.

We're thinking of calling it ponyparaphernalia.com, but since paraphernalia is kind of hard to spell we're still considering other names.

What do y'all think? Do you like this idea? Would you use a site like this? What part of the site would be most useful for you or are you most excited about? Do you think this is stupid? What would you like to see in an online retailer who markets pony products? We're interested in building the site specifically to meet the community's needs so hearing from everypony would only help us more to create something that we would all enjoy and be able to use!

• Brohoof 7

Definitely do not use "ponyparaphernalia.com" as the URL. (I'm a Grammar Nazi and even I have trouble spelling that.) Maybe shorten it to "ponyp.com" or something similar. But other than that, your idea sounds great. Although admittedly, I usually avoid small online retailers, I would definitely shop there (Being as I know you created it with the intention of doing legitimate business).

Interesting... starting some kind of online store/merch community for bronies is something I've been interested in doing myself at least as far back as May, and we have a moderated commissions section here where anyone can get some custom pony work done.

As much as I like the idea, however, I simply haven't had the time to properly research all the legalities and "gotchas" involved in starting up an online store dedicated to My Little Pony. No doubt that having a Hasbro license would be a very, very good idea; but that's about all I know on the matter, really.

@@Brooklyn Dash, if you are at all interested in working with me/MLP Forums to realize this idea, I'd love to chat. :)

• Brohoof 1

@feld0

Oh that would be fantastic! Regardless of whether or not I personally am going to continue to be involved with the venture, for this class we're spending several weeks on generating a functional business model, and so I would happily give you any research of mine to help you get started, including business plans, strategies, etc. I am really considering following through with it though,

If you start one I'd love to get involved in making a few designs. It would mean my graphic design skills would actually come into use for once.

Also I'd probably buy from you if you can deliever internationally... which you really should.

• Brohoof 1

International delivery is definitely something we're including as a priority, the site is intended to bring bronies together worldwide through merchandise, right now we're trying to decide if we should have it be just official merch or official+fanmade or what we're going to do in regards to that. What would y'all like to see in regards to what kind of merch is in the store?

Firstly, I think this is an excellent idea. You would be able to reach Bronies on an international level. Have you thought about shipping costs, where you will storage all of your merchandise? I know advertising would be easy. You have tones of forums you could reach out to.

I know as far as the store goes I’d like to see things that I could not get in stores. Plushes and things like that. I think the fanbase is large enough to where you could get legitimate business plus it is still growing so this would be a good time to implement your online store.

I agree with the idea of keeping your url short and easy to remember.

Also, as far as your prices I know I personally wouldn’t mind paying a little extra to buy from a vendor like yourself because you are running it yourself and you are trying to hook up Bronies internationally so that’s really awesome.

I’d also try to look into getting vendor passes to set up your shop at cons that would be good for business and would help get the word out.

In all I love this idea would love to see it put into action. I hope some of what I said comes as useful to you. I don’t really know about anything about business. Best of luck! I look forward to buying from you in the future! :D

• Brohoof 1

Vendor passes at cons are a great idea!

In regards to your questions, I'm pretty sure we would have standard shipping USPS and FedEx for bronies to choose the security/timeframe of their shipment and have the price adjusted accordingly. We would have a headquarters/office to keep our inventory at so that we don't lose track of shipments and stuff, that they're going directly through us :) It's good to hear that y'all would be interested in using this too to get fan made stuff :D

A cool idea you have there sir. I suggest not starting one up right away.

The reason why is the combination of WeloveFine and Hot Topic already provide the vast bulk of these goods. They are already established businesses so they can price their goods accordingly (in addition to running sales and such).

I think that if this fandom leads to licensing companies producing more specialized, perhaps and especially collector grade products, then I think would be the time to start that business. In the business world, My Little Pony FIM relatively does not have a big enough variety of licensed merch to warrant its own website. Look at Star Wars' website and see how many products they offer. Obviously Star Wars and it's fandom is unmatched, let alone by MLP. Still, it gives you an idea as to the plethora of licensed merch that would warrant its very own online shop.

I hope this dream becomes a reality for you.

• Brohoof 1

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

Would you all mind filling out a short survey so that we can fine-tune our store to be exactly what bronies want and need? It would be really lovely and help you just as much as you're helping us ^_^https://docs.google....oQ1FCQzQzSXc6MQ

Definitely do not use "ponyparaphernalia.com" as the URL. (I'm a Grammar Nazi and even I have trouble spelling that.) Maybe shorten it to "ponyp.com" or something similar. But other than that, your idea sounds great. Although admittedly, I usually avoid small online retailers, I would definitely shop there (Being as I know you created it with the intention of doing legitimate business).

I cannot wait to see how all of this turns out, it sounds amazing!! Especially when you're catering to a website that's as big as this :3

If you start one I'd love to get involved in making a few designs. It would mean my graphic design skills would actually come into use for once. Also I'd probably buy from you if you can deliever internationally... which you really should.

Firstly, I think this is an excellent idea. You would be able to reach Bronies on an international level. Have you thought about shipping costs, where you will storage all of your merchandise? I know advertising would be easy. You have tones of forums you could reach out to. I know as far as the store goes I’d like to see things that I could not get in stores. Plushes and things like that. I think the fanbase is large enough to where you could get legitimate business plus it is still growing so this would be a good time to implement your online store. I agree with the idea of keeping your url short and easy to remember. Also, as far as your prices I know I personally wouldn’t mind paying a little extra to buy from a vendor like yourself because you are running it yourself and you are trying to hook up Bronies internationally so that’s really awesome. I’d also try to look into getting vendor passes to set up your shop at cons that would be good for business and would help get the word out. In all I love this idea would love to see it put into action. I hope some of what I said comes as useful to you. I don’t really know about anything about business. Best of luck! I look forward to buying from you in the future!

I'd love this. I think it would be awesome to have an online brony store. Someone definately does need to make this. It would be amazing.

A cool idea you have there sir. I suggest not starting one up right away. The reason why is the combination of WeloveFine and Hot Topic already provide the vast bulk of these goods. They are already established businesses so they can price their goods accordingly (in addition to running sales and such). I think that if this fandom leads to licensing companies producing more specialized, perhaps and especially collector grade products, then I think would be the time to start that business. In the business world, My Little Pony FIM relatively does not have a big enough variety of licensed merch to warrant its own website. Look at Star Wars' website and see how many products they offer. Obviously Star Wars and it's fandom is unmatched, let alone by MLP. Still, it gives you an idea as to the plethora of licensed merch that would warrant its very own online shop. I hope this dream becomes a reality for you.

Capital idea, my friend. I would love to have a store like this around. Just stock quality merch, don't rip us off, and get a Hasbro license so everything's legal.

Edited by Brooklyn Dash

Cheers man! Thank you very much for doing that :) We are absolutely taking all of the information we're receiving from the surveys into account because our goal is to meet bronies' needs and make them happiiiii ^_^

Done and done :)

It'd be great to see this up and running because if/when it does I'll make a bulk order to stock on my shop (yeah I have a comic book store so it'd be nice to get some unique stuff in).

• Brohoof 1

Well I would like to take a second to thank anyone who helped me out by participating in that survey I posted! Thanks to you guys I ended up having nearly 400 responses to the survey! We have so much data now that we don't know what to do with it! You guys rule! Thanks :D