Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is your opinion on Crossdressing?

Colon Leftbracket

I don't see how other people dress in any of my concern(even though I reserve the right laugh at "bondage pants").

If you want to test the waters without drawing "that" kind of attention you could always get a kilt, or something of that nature and see how it feels.

post-6903-0-64387400-1353721853.jpg

In my opinion, I think crossdressing is a tad overboard and that really isn't the right way to exploit your sexual identity. Your DNA is there with you forever, why try to hide that?

But if you were to do it, I wouldn't mind. I haven't met any crossdressers yet so my experience with the culture is very limited but if you do decide to do this, go right ahead and don't let anybody put you down.

I know a few crossdressers and as far as I'm concerned... meh, whatever its just clothes. I mean I've gone out in a skirt, it was because of a bet but I did it, so I crossdressed for a bit.

And appaently I look good in a skirt so thats a bonus lol.

The only thing with anything like this I have an issue with is Gender Queers. These are people that refuse to be associated by gender. So you can't refer to them as 'he' or 'she' which leaves only 'it' or their name. For me the only issue I have is grammatical, I want to know what to refer to them as and 'it' just seems rude.

In my opinion, I think crossdressing is a tad overboard and that really isn't the right way to exploit your sexual identity. Your DNA is there with you forever, why try to hide that?

But if you were to do it, I wouldn't mind. I haven't met any crossdressers yet so my experience with the culture is very limited but if you do decide to do this, go right ahead and don't let anybody put you down.

Thing is there are people out there that feel that they were born in the wrong body. Or that some are just comfortable in a skirt or dress. Its not hiding your gender etc, just accepting who you are.

• Brohoof 1

Thing is there are people out there that feel that they were born in the wrong body. Or that some are just comfortable in a skirt or dress. Its not hiding your gender etc, just accepting who you are.

A man/woman can be just as feminine/masculine as the common female/male without having to crossdress or doing anything drastic like changing sex organs. I've never understood the feeling of "being trapped in the wrong body" or have never comprehended others who feel like that. If they have an attraction towards the same sex, you don't need to change anything. If they have some things they like that society thinks that's strictly only for the opposite sex, they don't need to change anything. Nothing logical, at least in my opinion, comes out of crossdressing except for making yourself feel better for periods of time, but as a lot of members have stated in this thread, the crossdressing phase starts to dry out as soon as they discover that the clothes, as they grow older, don't match their natural body type at all. I think that, as a man, if you want to be feminine, just express that in your male body. Don't try too hard into being the "perfect" woman.

The only thing with anything like this I have an issue with is Gender Queers. These are people that refuse to be associated by gender. So you can't refer to them as 'he' or 'she' which leaves only 'it' or their name. For me the only issue I have is grammatical, I want to know what to refer to them as and 'it' just seems rude.

haha I guess we share a similar issue there.

I don't like referring to people as 'it' either. I mean if that's what they prefer than whatever, but it still makes me feel a tad iffy.

I wouldn't want to be referred to as 'it' either. I'd just go as male 'he' and maybe "she" depending on the situation.

It's just clothes. People should be able to wear whatever they want. There are, of course, clothing items made specifically for the um... shape... of one sex, but something like a dress or skirt is only considered feminine clothing because society has set it that way. There's no reason a man shouldn't be able to wear a dress or skirt.

Of course, there are standards of decency, but they're easy to meet, and it's not like people don't already constantly cross those lines when wearing the clothes of their own sex. This notion that cross-dressing is indecent by default is asinine. It is archaic and meaningless, and has no place in modern day society. Not that I'm saying the lines should get all blurred up, but those who have the urge to cross-dress should be allowed to.

• Brohoof 3

I will admit I was a little freaked out at first but my rational side eventually just said "why am stressing over something that doesn't harm anyone?" It is not my thing but if someone wants to do I am not going to complain, I know a good friend of mine that cross dresses and he is not even gay though he is a tad more effeminate than most men I know.

• Brohoof 1

Whatever floats your boat I guess, as long as it's not in a blatantly inappropriate context. Say, for example, your employer or office has a strict dress policy, and you decide to show up to work cross-dressing, and risk getting fired as a result, then I'd say it's pretty foolish and inappropriate, especially since one probably would know what his/her employer's dress policy is. And if it's not practical, like if you're doing some yard work or some other strenuous physical activity or labor, then I'd say it wouldn't be appropriate in those situations either. But barring a number of circumstances, such as explicit dress codes or simply for the sake of practicality, I say if you want to, go ahead, as long it's also appropriate for walking around in public (and by that I mean something you wouldn't be surprised to see girls/guys walking around in either at, say, a mall, not something totally ridiculous). I think that it's a fair thing to say that something like cross-dressing does honestly depend on context, since it's still hardly considered a norm. Heck, even things or activities considered normal, such as talking on a cell phone, are generally barred (or expected to be barred) from certain areas, such as the classroom or an orchestra concert, so it's really not surprising that the same goes for cross-dressing.

Depends, do someone crossdressing because deep inside he feels as another gender, or he do it for attention?

I've meet more than enough share of crossdressers in my hometown, and a good majority of them simply do it just because "it feels good when everyone looks at me silly". It can be very scary if some middle-aged man who was wearing short skirt and leather shirt-thing came running to you,asking for spare change.

I don't see any serious reasons for doing it.

Why do it? Out of curiosity? To "express" your "sexual identity"?

The former seems completely silly and the latter seems obnoxious. "Look guys, I'm a guy and I'm wearing a dress! Acknowledge my self-proclaimed identity!"

Whoever wants to do it can knock themselves out for all I care. I have no interest in standing over people and telling them how to dress but at the same time my tolerance and indifference towards it does not lead to me believing there's some sort of serious reason for actually doing it.

I think it's taken way too seriously by those who support and oppose it.

by the way, Jonke and Viscra look good in girl clothes

• Brohoof 4

I have no issue with crossdressing.

Since when was it a scientific, natural, god-given restriction to not let people wear what they want? Like someone previously stated, they are just clothes. Jeans are jeans, shirts are shirts. etc. are etc. Whether or not they are pink or grey, or have a butterfly design or a dragon design, it doesn't really matter. Men used to wear tights and other feminine clothes back in the old days and females would wear masculine like clothes to show that they were no different then the men. But of course, to many of us we are used to seeing females wear feminine clothes and males wear masculine clothes, so some of us have built this bias around the respect of wearing specific clothing in an orderly fashion. But the fact is, we are all different and percieve fashion in different ways that we see fit based on our self-interests and emotions, and that is fine.

• Brohoof 1

Why do it? Out of curiosity? To "express" your "sexual identity"? The former seems completely silly and the latter seems obnoxious. "Look guys, I'm a guy and I'm wearing a dress! Acknowledge my self-proclaimed identity!"

How is the act of expressing yourself by way of simply wearing a dress in public obnoxious? Simply passing by a random guy on the sidewalk that is wearing a dress isn't exactly harmful, or any more noteworthy than you yourself make it out to be. Quite honestly, while I will admit that there are many obnoxious ways to exercise your freedom of expression, simply doing so by way of wearing women's clothing is nowhere near the top of my list.

You could just as easily say that anyone that has ever worn a My Little Pony shirt is obnoxious, regardless of their actions or behavior while wearing it.

"Look guys, I'm a guy and I like a little girls television show! Acknowledge my fandom!"

:|

Also, I'm forced to agree with your spoiler'd text. :)

• Brohoof 7

How is the act of expressing yourself by way of simply wearing a dress in public obnoxious? Simply passing by a random guy on the sidewalk that is wearing a dress isn't exactly harmful, or any more noteworthy than you yourself make it out to be. Quite honestly, while I will admit that there are many obnoxious ways to exercise your freedom of expression, simply doing so by way of wearing women's clothing is nowhere near the top of my list.

You could just as easily say that anyone that has ever worn a My Little Pony shirt is obnoxious, regardless of their actions or behavior while wearing it.

"Look guys, I'm a guy and I like a little girls television show! Acknowledge my fandom!"

:|

Perhaps "obnoxious" wasn't the best word for it. Switch that out with a word that means calling for attention.

That is why people would do it, is it not? All forms of "expression" essentially boil down to calls for attention.

I don't know of anyone who tries to express themselves without actually wanting people to see them. At least subconsciously if not outright proclaiming their desire to be seen like that.

That is why I referred to it as "obnoxious". At least when I look at how it may ultimately be for attention, I find that bordering, if not outright being, obnoxious.

Of course, this applies to much more than cross-dressing. Your example of wearing an MLP shirt would essentially be the same thing.

Who knows, maybe I'm just over-analyzing the ultimate motive behind "expressing" yourself. I'm sure most people believe themselves to be acting innocently and most people would perceive an act of expression as innocent, but when I look closely at it, it appears to be one of those things humans do all the time with a sort of subconscious selfish motive behind it.

• Brohoof 1

To be honest I haven't seen any actual Crossdressers(That or they're really good..) So I can't say I know exactly how i'd react.

However I'm going to be honest. As of right now I'd find it a bit akward and hard to get use to. However I'm sure if i had more exposure to it I wouldn't mind it. As long as the person is only doing it for assuming gender identity I have no right to outright reject them for it.

So even though I may find it weird, I definitely wouldn't just ridicule them or anything for it, but It would take me some time to get use to it seeing as its not something I ever really see. Thus it would feel very awkward for me at first.

I'm just being honest though, you however have the right to do as you please, and I have no right to ridicule neither does anybody else, will they? Yes probably, but people will be people. They're simply not use to it, or want to fit in because others in their group find it weird. Me i'd just be a bit shocked like I said and yes I'd probably think of it as odd at first, but in due time I could get use to seeing it.

Just my honest opinions.

• Brohoof 1

Perhaps "obnoxious" wasn't the best word for it. Switch that out with a word that means calling for attention.

That is why people would do it, is it not? All forms of "expression" essentially boil down to calls for attention.

I don't know of anyone who tries to express themselves without actually wanting people to see them. At least subconsciously if not outright proclaiming their desire to be seen like that.

That is why I referred to it as "obnoxious". At least when I look at how it may ultimately be for attention, I find that bordering, if not outright being, obnoxious.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Please tell me how these forms of expression are in any way "obnoxious". Sometimes, it can be GOOD to gain attention if it makes you have the equal rights of any "normal" (white, heterosexual) American citizen.

Groups such as the blacks, hippies, and gays use their group as a means of portraying what kinds of injustices are going on in our American society. That's how, in the case of blacks and gays, that America has become more lineant on them, because they kept on marching and making speeches. I don't see how calling attention to them is "obnoxious".

Edited by AegisReflector

Of course, this applies to much more than cross-dressing. Your example of wearing an MLP shirt would essentially be the same thing.

It applies to so much more than that, though. If you want to take things to the extreme, your Rarity avatar could be taken as being itself an expression - and therefore a means by which to call attention - of the fact that you're a Rarity fan. I wouldn't consider that obnoxious, though. :3

Who knows, maybe I'm just over-analyzing the ultimate motive behind "expressing" yourself. I'm sure most people believe themselves to be acting innocently and most people would perceive an act of expression as innocent, but when I look closely at it, it appears to be one of those things humans do all the time with a sort of subconscious selfish motive behind it.

I honestly do think that you are looking too far into it. While there will always be exceptions, I think in most cases people are more interested in expressing themselves in such a way for their own sake, and for their own comfort than they are for the purpose of calling attention to themselves. Not to suggest that this is the case with everyone, but for the transgendered folks I've known, they are commonly interested in crossdressing simply because they find it comforting.

Besides, what's wrong with a little attention? I love attention!

• Brohoof 4

Please tell me how these forms of expression are in any way "obnoxious". Sometimes, it can be GOOD to gain attention if it makes you have the equal rights of any "normal" (white, heterosexual) American citizen.

It would be good to keep in mind that I never said someone should not express themselves. I did say that I was, in the end, tolerant and indifferent towards cross-dressing.

I also explained why I used the word "obnoxious" in the very post you quoted.

Thus I do not know why you insinuate that I believe acts of expression can or should never be used.

Your post also gives me the impression that you have some sort of emotional baggage tied to the topic of gay rights (which we are not discussing). Your analogies are exaggerated at best.

That would be like me posting pictures of World War I and II in a topic discussing whether you like eggs being thrown at you as a prank.

It would be good to keep in mind that I never said someone should not express themselves. I did say that I was, in the end, tolerant and indifferent towards cross-dressing.

I also explained why I used the word "obnoxious" in the very post you quoted.

Thus I do not know why you insinuate that I believe acts of expression can or should never be used.

Your post also gives me the impression that you have some sort of emotional baggage tied to the topic of gay rights (which we are not discussing). Your analogies are exaggerated at best.

That would be like me posting pictures of World War I and II in a topic discussing whether you like eggs being thrown at you as a prank.

I probably read your post wrong or misinterpreted it, but I still find it a tad odd. You said, or from what I can interpret, that you find the calls of attention that various social groups use "obnoxious" and that, as humans, their messages have some sort of selfish gain to them. Is that correct? And is it also correct that in your post you used the term "obnoxious" as people overtly trying to gain all sorts of attention? I just want to get this clear because that's not the correct usage of the word, which you did acknowledge in the first part of your post I quoted, but then you used it again, so I'm just making sure. :P

It never was my intention of pointing out that you don't think that there should be freedom of expression in our country, I was just trying to point out that social groups that kept on protesting and gaining attention from the American public have made greater progress in their own social status and in no way is that, for your term of, "obnoxious". Just wanted to point that out too. :P

I also don't have any "emotional baggage" over gay rights in this topic, don't know where that came from. Just because I posted a gay rights picture and I said "white heterosexual"? I was just making a point for equality against people when it came to those demonstrations, that's all. See, my post did have some sort of connection to it, it's just I guess your term usage confused me or something.

But, I'll just say this, next time you use a term, make sure you know how you are going to use it (and make sure to use it right), otherwise you'll confuse poor saps like me and we'll make posts that might not make sense in the long run to you. :P

Edited by AegisReflector

I actually want to try it myself someday but for now I will have to wait :3

There is no problem if girls wanna dress like boys

but when a boy dresses like a girl he is a freak or trans or homosexual etcetc :/

• Brohoof 2

I see cross dressing as any other kind of odd/pecular behavior (Such as bronies, we're in the same boat)

I see as it isn't an overboard, hey look at me trying to get attention from everyone in the world, it's fine. If you go out and feel the need to cross dress, make it casual. Don't go over the top, deck yourself out in dominatrix attire or a minimalist approach. Just as bronies shouldn't go sharing the word of love and tolerance to every open ear in the mall/public place.

There are groups around that you can hang out with, or if you wanna take it to the extreme you could try a drag club(Like that one on TV?) I'm sure there are some great forums on it as well.

But just as any other ritual, do not force it on people, don't rub it in their face and do not be surprised when someone disagrees with it. As long as you're in those bounds, you're good in my books.

• Brohoof 2

-snip-

But, I'll just say this, next time you use a term, make sure you know how you are going to use it (and make sure to use it right), otherwise you'll confuse poor saps like me and we'll make posts that might not make sense in the long run to you. :P

Fair enough.

My original use of the word "obnoxious" seemed a bit off. I cleared myself up (or at least tried to) in my reply to Zoop. Which was the post you replied to.

What I found "obnoxious" (i.e. "extremely unpleasant") was not so much the act of expressing yourself but what I perceive to be the subconscious selfish motive behind it.

In that sense it is obnoxious - as most, if not all, known selfish moves are obnoxious.

As a quick note, I don't mean to suggest that I balk at the sight of expression - as if I'd feel disgusted by seeing someone publicly associate themselves with some group, show, etc. through their choice of clothing.

I'm certainly not like that. The opinion I presented here today was basically something you'd only see from me when I spend too much time examining minute details of human actions. :blink:

• Brohoof 1

I see cross dressing as any other kind of odd/pecular behavior (Such as bronies, we're in the same boat)

I see as it isn't an overboard, hey look at me trying to get attention from everyone in the world, it's fine. If you go out and feel the need to cross dress, make it casual. Don't go over the top, deck yourself out in dominatrix attire or a minimalist approach. Just as bronies shouldn't go sharing the word of love and tolerance to every open ear in the mall/public place.

There are groups around that you can hang out with, or if you wanna take it to the extreme you could try a drag club(Like that one on TV?) I'm sure there are some great forums on it as well.

But just as any other ritual, do not force it on people, don't rub it in their face and do not be surprised when someone disagrees with it. As long as you're in those bounds, you're good in my books.

Those are the kinds I have a problem with, some crossdressers just cross the line with exposed buttcheeks and nipple rings while acting like a degenerate.

• Brohoof 1

It's not hurting anyone as far I'm concerned - so I say if you want to cross dress - go for it!

Besides, girls wear clothes that used to be called 'guy' clothes, so why can't guys wear 'girl' clothes? It's really sad.