Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you ever been ashamed of being in the fandom?

DoctorWhovian1902

I think this is pretty self-explanatory. Has there ever been a time when you were ashamed of being a brony? And if so, why, and where/who did you go to that made you feel better?

Personally, yes, I was a closet brony up until a few months ago. I started telling more people about it and getting more people in the fandom, and was even convinced that my friends knew and accepted me for it. Then...then, to make a long story short, I learned they actually weren't accepting of the fandom, or me being a brony. They said I was "one of those psychos". They said a lot more, and, I have to say, it hurt. I thought "well I definitely can't go to my parents for this" (they'd shown they aren't accepting of the fandom either, even before they knew I was a part of it). Unfortunately, they found out, and now I'm screwed from both parts. In other words, both my friends and my parents would prefer I were never a part of the fandom, and even hated it.

I didn't really have anywhere to go, but a few people I knew (not close friends of mine) were bronies too, and I asked them about it. They were surprised at the reactions I'd gotten, and said to just not care. Yeah, it's kind of hard not to when your friends and family dissapprove of it. Now just think on that for a second, the fact that nearly anywhere I go, bronies are disapproved of, and therefore I am too. I also talked with a lot of other bronies here and on other sites, which has helped, so thanks to everyone out there.

• Brohoof 6

I was slightly ashamed when I first became a brony.. It stopped when I discovered that one of my friends was also a Brony (playing Halo: reach with the "Smile" song in the background) and that a member of a machinima group that I was in is Well known in this community O.o   (me and my unusual connections)

In fact there's nothing to be ashamed of. We are all fanboys/girls of something. It just takes time to get used to it :D

*BROHOOF!!*

Edited by Danger Wasp
  • Brohoof 4

No. I have never been ashamed of it. Though, I thought it was really embarassing at the first few weeks since it was concidered very strange for me to watch a cartoon show for little girls. Not only because it was made for little kids and that it was my little pony, but also because I rarely watch cartoons nowadays except The Simpsons.

You should never be ashamed for what you like. heck I think I got my little neice into the show, and she is only 5 years old. (bless her heart, hahaha) Just becuase friends and family do not like you watching the show, does not give them the right to make your own decision.

• Brohoof 3

Not at all, i'm proud to  be in a fandom that promotes love and tolerence as a general rule of thumb.  I've been in fandoms where  a ship will be ostracized and mocked  just because other members of the community can.  and people that have the opinion of  "if you don't like it then leave'   so now i raise my head proudly and say 'i'm a pegasister!"   and you should never be ashamed  of yourself for watching this show!  and if your friends mock you for being into this show.  tell them to 'buck off'   and you continue being you, because you are you.  and it's great that you're you.  :) 

• Brohoof 3

Not at all, i'm proud to  be in a fandom that promotes love and tolerence as a general rule of thumb.  I've been in fandoms where  a ship will be ostracized and mocked  just because other members of the community can.  and people that have the opinion of  "if you don't like it then leave'   so now i raise my head proudly and say 'i'm a pegasister!"   and you should never be ashamed  of yourself for watching this show!  and if your friends mock you for being into this show.  tell them to 'buck off'   and you continue being you, because you are you.  and it's great that you're you.  :)

Well said, well said indeed Angels_Gal. :D

So Blackopp1, you know that other bronies support you, and I beleive it is safe to say that you will be just fine. :)

• Brohoof 1

Never. Don't care what people think. I don't advertise it.

I have a MLP wallpaper on my iPad and my brother asked me "....Do you like... My Little Pony?" and I said in front of a whole crowd of people "I can say without any shame that I do." My brother is big into cartoons and while I don't think he gets the whole pony thing I think it's because he's never sat down and watched it. He was able to identify it so I'm sure he is aware it is popular, so he didn't get all weirded out.

• Brohoof 1

Am I ever ashamed to be a brony? Of course not, quite the opposite in fact. I consider it quite an honor to be a part of this incredible, creative community. I'm thankful to be here. I can tell that this is going to be one of the greatest experiences in my life, that many years down the road I will look back on with fond memories.

Carpe Diem. Life's too short to waste time on fretting about what other people think of you.

Edited by Sky Nomad
  • Brohoof 2

im too old to give a damn... so no, i havent been ashamed yet. people are gonna critizie and look down on you for just about anything you like, so why take it to heart when someone else doesnt accept something you enjoy? i proudly wore my MLP shirt around my friends, into bars, and in the general public without a care in the world. i dont push ponies on others either though, like i dont ask them to watch it with me, and i dont bring it up unless asked. if my friends are curious, then ill point them in the right direction or answer questions, but i dont try and force it on them. i think thats where alot of people make mistakes... forcing it on people who arent interested. they get tired of hearing about it and dont want to be around you if youre always on the verge of talking MLP with people who arent interested. 

i just dont care what people think anymore. why care about the opinions of people who dont know you? their opinions are based on what they see, so it really holds no water. friends are a little different, but the true friends are the ones who know you are and whos opinion wont change based on interest in a tv show or any of the fandom that comes with it. real friends wont bail on you, they stick it out. 

youre not going to get any satisfaction out of life if you keep stressing over the opinions of others. fuckin watch ponies and love it, dont hold back. the real tragedy is giving up something you like to please others and no one should have to do that.

• Brohoof 3

I do feel ashamed sometimes. When my parents harass me about it, I feel angry about my interests. The same thing happens when I get called a "ponyfag" at school. Hell, one of my teachers told me to, "go clop". At those times, I feel ashamed.

Generally though, I'm proud to be part of this welcoming community. There isn't a community this open anywhere. I'm happy to be a part of it.

• Brohoof 1

I do feel ashamed sometimes. When my parents harass me about it, I feel angry about my interests. The same thing happens when I get called a "ponyfag" at school. Hell, one of my teachers told me to, "go clop". At those times, I feel ashamed.

Generally though, I'm proud to be part of this welcoming community. There isn't a community this open anywhere. I'm happy to be a part of it.

Seriously? can't you contact some social worker about it to sue him for child abuse?

Such a teacher deserve to be imprisoned with violent criminals.

• Brohoof 2

If true they should be fired for this.  Intolerance aside, telling a minor to "go masturbate" is way out of line for a teacher,  Moves into sexual harassment territory.  I'm no stranger of teachers acting like bullies to students, but assuming you're not making things up they should recieve a permanent suspension and the families of his students should be informed what their childs teacher had done.

Edited by Jammo
  • Brohoof 4

I personally haven't. Since I'm a girl people accept me liking ponies more then a man would be accepted. I am proud to be a pegasister,  the fan base is loving and joyful, based off of good values and filled of good people. People will judge you no matter what you like or what you do but you have to stay true to yourself and stand strong when people try to knock you down. 

• Brohoof 1

Nope. I'm my own person, and live my life the way I want regardless of what people say or think. If somebody has a problem with me liking ponies, that's their problem. I'm not going to get all bent-out-of-shape about it, and make it mine too.

I've got better things to do than to care about what others think.

• Brohoof 2

I have felt ashamed to be a fan, yes. Particularly when it comes to the sexual stuff, and the stuff which takes the show horribly out of context in violent ways.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 2

Well said, well said indeed Angels_Gal. :D

So Blackopp1, you know that other bronies support you, and I beleive it is safe to say that you will be just fine. :)

I hope so! Also, "Buck off"? That's gold! I'm going to have to remember that next time, I can already see it now:

(After I've been mocked a few times for being a brony)

Me: Buck off you guys.

Them: Wat. :blink:

Thanks, though. Also, in the spirit of the fandom and show, my confidence has been doubled! :D

• Brohoof 1

I hope so! Also, "Buck off"? That's gold! I'm going to have to remember that next time, I can already see it now:

(After I've been mocked a few times for being a brony)

Me: Buck off you guys.

Them: Wat. :blink:

Thanks, though. Also, in the spirit of the fandom and show, my confidence has been doubled! :D

Many people have been bullied simply because they are a brony, and a fan of the series. You just got to learn to ignore the silly remarks and move forward in life. ^^ I do hope things turn out better for you.

• Brohoof 1

If true they should be fired for this. Intolerance aside, telling a minor to "go masturbate" is way out of line for a teacher, Moves into sexual harassment territory. I'm no stranger of teachers acting like bullies to students, but assuming you're not making things up they should recieve a permanent suspension and the families of his students should be informed what their childs teacher had done.

Granted, I don't think she knew what it meant. It did happen, nothing I've said is made up, but I'd assume that it was an accident. It's difficult to tell though, because she said she was disturbed by the fanbase. I don't want a misunderstanding to lead to a loss of work however.

I'm going to have to agree with this being a little out of line. I think I've made things seem a little bit more than they were, even if it is true.

Seriously? can't you contact some social worker about it to sue him for child abuse?

Such a teacher deserve to be imprisoned with violent criminals.

100% true statement, however, it appears to be a misunderstanding, as she (hopefully) doesn't know what clopping is. She could however, which scares me a little bit.

• Brohoof 1

whats the worst thing that can come from watching My Little Pony? a little bit of happiness? a laugh or two? taking some of the suck out of your day? wheres the crime thats being committed here? i just dont see it. why cant people just take it at face value instead of jumping to the worst possible scenario to help them make sense of it in their own minds? its really not that complicated... but they make it that way. 

• Brohoof 2

I heard all kinds of trash about Bronies in General and Trade chat in World of Warcraft. I thought it was odd that adult guys liked the show but I never gave it much thought because I never watched the show and didn't know the guys who watched. Some of the stuff they said gave me a good laugh, but that was it. Then, one night I was looking for something to watch with my daughter and found season 1 and 2 on Netflix. We watched 4 episodes back to back. I was hooked.

As a female, or 'pegasister' as sometimes we are called, I was never ashamed, though I felt kinda like a jerk for laughing at what I read in Trade chat. Its all good now. I'm a proud member of this community and enjoy all the things I buy thats MLP related...I also adore my cutie mark I got...<.<........<3

• Brohoof 1

Well when I first started watching the show I was a little embarrassed but I'm not really ashamed at all now. I just keep it to myself and I only talk about it with those that I know are interested in it. Kinda like most things I'm interested in.

• Brohoof 1

Nope. I'm my own person, and live my life the way I want regardless of what people say or think. If somebody has a problem with me liking ponies, that's their problem. I'm not going to get all bent-out-of-shape about it, and make it mine too.

I've got better things to do than to care about what others think.

Agree. 

I'm not ashamed I like it.  If I had let my fear of judgement from others stop me from going to shows or whatever, I would be ashamed of myself.

• Brohoof 3

Ashamed at first? Sure. Right now? Brony and I know it. I was defiantly a Level 99 Fluttershy at first. Heck, I was to the point where I had to go INCOGNITO on my browser so I can look at ponies. I was especially afraid if my parents found out and what they would think of me. Plus, my reputation at school would be affected by this. Come to think of it, I kind of wished I was a brony last year instead of a hater. I probably wouldn't have lost a friend. :( Yeah, I was pretty mean to his other friends, and I never gave in. MLP has made me who I am. It's not WHO I am, but what CONSTITUTES me, and that's the part that confuses people and they start to hate.  

• Brohoof 2

Not even for a moment. But then I've always had a fairly thick skin and my friends are a bunch of weirdos :P

Thing is as ar as I'm concerned there is nothing to be ashamed of. If you go beyond the show and look at the fandom itself I've never come across another like it. Considering the short space of time MLP:FiM has existed the amount of user content thats been spawned is insane. The fact that quite a lot of it is actually GOOD is even more nuts.

So when someone has a go, I just think about all the great work there is beyond the show and I know that they've missed out.

If there is one thing I am ashamed of, its the fans that go overboard and make people hate us because they go on a MLP crusade.

Edited by Fridge
  • Brohoof 3

At first when I found out about MLP, and bronies, I thought it was so silly, and how could anyone even possibly like a children's show!? Whelp, I watch one episode by accident with my sister (who was a MLP fan without knowing the actual term 'brony' as she doesn't frequent the internet) and I was instantly hooked. In my head, I'm not ashamed because I don't see it as a children's show. It has aspects that make me laugh a lot, that are meant to appeal to older people. From an artistic standpoint I love the colorful ponies, and animation style.

I'm lucky I never had to akwardly explain to my boyfriend my brony-ism, he accepts me even though he tolerates the show and strongly dislikes most bronies.

However, I was once incredibly embarrassed by a boy at school about being a brony. I just ordered a small MLP backpack and I was self-concious about wearing it to school, but I needed a new backpack and I bought it to wear it, daggnabbit! So, I brought it to my first period class, and this one boy just looked at me and said "What a stupid fucking backpack...you a brony or something?" he never talked to me until I brought my backpack which was the most rediculious thing! I just stood there, embarrassed and pushed my backpack under my desk, luckily my close friend talked me into not caring what he thinks and he was just a jerk anyway. 

....Aaaand my boyfriend who's a brick-house went off on him and made him apologize, he's too scared he'll get beat up to say anything but he still scoffs at me. That was the only time I was really mortified about something like that. I forget some people really don't like bronies, but some people very much do not like bronies...

All in all, I'm a proud brony and I don't care if people like it or not. I flippin' love ponies!

• Brohoof 3