Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

10 Questions for Members who are 20 and under(or older)

Wingnut

Well here's some answers from my 34 year old perspective:

1. Do you know how to use a rotary phone and have you ever dialed one? If so, how long ago?

Yes, but even I've never had one in the house.  That is, unless you count this:

$%28KGrHqN,!h8FB1,7k,58BQju2-GL!g~~60_35

My grandparents place in Korea had an antique style one, which was the last one I used in 1999.

2. Did you have an early part in your life without Internet access?

Parents disallowing it because you were too young doesn't count.

I never had the internet until college.  My high school didn't set anything up until the year after I graduated.  Hell, as a freshman I remember it was a big deal when my friend got a 14.4k modem.

3. What is the earliest national or world crisis you have a first hand memory of? Most of you will probably say September 11.

Me?  When Korean Air Lines flight 007 was shot down by Russian fighter jets in 1983.  I was 5 back then.  Yes, a civilian passenger airliner was *shot down* by the soviets who thought it was a spy plane.  RIght in the thick of the Cold War 1980s.  Big international incident, even more important for my family because we're Korean and used KAL as the only way to get to Korea at the time- and in fact took the exact same route as the fated airliner. 

4. Can you recall if your family had an old-fashioned TV with dials on it?

Yes we did, and I have a helluva lot of memories with my NES hooked up to it.  Anyone remember twin wire connections like this?

img-1118614-2-figure-4-web.jpg

Yeah, they were a pain in the ass.

5. Can you tell me what it's like to read about Saddam Hussein, Bill

Clinton, the reunification of Germany, 9/11, and Hurricane Katrina in

history textbooks?

Nope to the latter 2; there *might* have been something about the first Gulf War or the fall of the Berlin Wall on maybe the *last* chapter of my senior year American History textbook, but I can't be sure.

6. Do you or does anybody in your family refuse to carry a cell

phone? Again, parents disallowing it because you were too young doesn't

count.

No.  We're Koreans.  It's impossible for Koreans to not have a cell phone.

7. Do you remember old school 5 1/4 inch floppy disks for computers?

Maybe you're so young you don't even remember the 3.5 inch disks that

were discontinued just a few years ago?

Hell yes.  Our family's first computer was an Apple IIc.  In school we had a Commodore 64 which used *cassette tapes*.

8. When was the last time you used the Yellow Pages to look up a phone number?

I really don't know.  Certainly years.

9. What was the first cartoon you fell in love with? Don't say

MLP:FiM. You're all supposed to be at least 13 so I know you have a

well-liked cartoon from before that.  :P

I watched a lot of cartoons back in the day, but if I had to pick a favorite it was probably the original Transformers.

10. Do cartoons from the 1980s look and sound as dated to you as cartoons from the '60s appear to me?

I think I'm the wrong person for that question. :D

There are some bad ones from the 80s that always look worse than I remember them.  But then there's some that still hold up well, like Ducktales or Disney's Gummi Bears.  And then there's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnhrz5nDDa4

Good GOD that still looks amazing, especially in HD.

1- no i didn't

2- for short time when i was between 5-7.5 years

3- well i know couple of crises (Libya civil war 2011, Somali Crisis, Syrian civil war "Present")

4- no.

5- lol i never heard about that!

6- nope, no one at all.

7- i remember it!.

8- never done that!.

9- Ben 10 "when i was 9".

10- i think 80s cartoon are little different from 60s.

• Brohoof 2

1. Do you know how to use a rotary phone and have you ever dialed one? If so, how long ago?

Hell yes, the time I am not sure...

Parents disallowing it because you were too young doesn't count.

Yes, back when we used windows '95 for docs. only XD We still had a computer running Dos!

3. What is the earliest national or world crisis you have a first hand memory of? Most of you will probably say September 11.

Desert Storm was pretty big

Yes we did

5. Can you tell me what it's like to read about Saddam Hussein, Bill
Clinton, the reunification of Germany, 9/11, and Hurricane Katrina in
history textbooks?

No...

EDIT:  I realize we have members all over the world.  Feel free to cite whatever the latest history you saw in your school books was. 

6. Do you or does anybody in your family refuse to carry a cell
phone? Again, parents disallowing it because you were too young doesn't
count.

No, their work doesn't permit them to be unreachable...

Maybe you're so young you don't even remember the 3.5 inch disks that
were discontinued just a few years ago?

You kidding me!? 5 1/4" were the shiz! Loved putting those sheets into the computer

Never, I hate phones :/

9. What was the first cartoon you fell in love with? Don't say
MLP:FiM. You're all supposed to be at least 13 so I know you have a
well-liked cartoon from before that.  :P

Tom and Jerry or the Jetsons

10. Do cartoons from the 1980s look and sound as dated to you as cartoons from the '60s appear to me?

No, the techniques stayed pretty similar up 'till the 90's aside from obtaining more equipment, they were nearly the same.

1. Do you know how to use a rotary phone and have you ever dialed one? If so, how long ago?

yes, but i never used one

2. Did you have an early part in your life without Internet access? Parents disallowing it because you were too young doesn't count.

yes

i have no idea

no

5. Can you tell me what it's like to read about Saddam Hussein, Bill Clinton, the reunification of Germany, 9/11, and Hurricane Katrina in history textbooks?

EDIT:  I realize we have members all over the world.  Feel free to cite whatever the latest history you saw in your school books was. 

hey, i you dont learn your history, your doomed to repeat it....or so im told

6. Do you or does anybody in your family refuse to carry a cell phone? Again, parents disallowing it because you were too young doesn't count.

no

7. Do you remember old school 5 1/4 inch floppy disks for computers? Maybe you're so young you don't even remember the 3.5 inch disks that were discontinued just a few years ago?

i have never seen a floppy disc, only cd and dvd roms

5 months ago

9. What was the first cartoon you fell in love with? Don't say MLP:FiM. You're all supposed to be at least 13 so I know you have a well-liked cartoon from before that.   :P

ed, edd, & eddy

depends, how dated does stuff from the sixtys feel to you?

Oh this seems fun. I'm 21. (If that is important to know.)

Yes I know how to use one but have never used one. I honestly don't remember where I saw them though. Probably at my grandfather's house. I always wanted to use it

2. Did you have an early part in your life without Internet access? Parents disallowing it because you were too young doesn't count.

I went without internet access until the 6th grade (12 years old) and it was very new and confusing and awesome. And then I explored the darker parts of the internet....and sometimes I wish I had never done that.

I know there was one but I can remember what the event was. I just remember everyone watching the news and all the adults talking about it. I had to look it up...it was the Oklahoma City Bombings.

I'm not sure if this counts but I have a tv from either the 70's or 80's that has buttons on a side panels. If you open that panel there are a number of dials that allow you to choose what channel goes to what button.

5. Can you tell me what it's like to read about Saddam Hussein, Bill Clinton, the reunification of Germany, 9/11, and Hurricane Katrina in history textbooks?

I actually cannot. I was always one grade ahead of those textbook changes. 

EDIT:  I realize we have members all over the world.  Feel free to cite whatever the latest history you saw in your school books was. 

6. Do you or does anybody in your family refuse to carry a cell phone? Again, parents disallowing it because you were too young doesn't count.

My mother.

7. Do you remember old school 5 1/4 inch floppy disks for computers? Maybe you're so young you don't even remember the 3.5 inch disks that were discontinued just a few years ago?

Yes, I remember both. I actually had a game on one that hid a ball under one of three cups, then they would move around and you would have to choose which one had the ball in it.

Somewhere around five years ago.

9. What was the first cartoon you fell in love with? Don't say MLP:FiM. You're all supposed to be at least 13 so I know you have a well-liked cartoon from before that.   :P

Well when I was a kid I really loved Thomas the Train. But for straight up cartoon probably Gundam or DBZ

Yes. They are so horribly dated to me now.
  • Brohoof 1

I'm 14, by the way.

A: Yeah, my grandparents had one, they taught me how to use it.

A: Nope.

A: Probably the Kosovo War.

A: They didn't.

A: What do you mean by what is it like? I guess, if anything, the information on those topic rarely ever has close to the entire story. Some mistakes in the textbooks, even. I still research those things on my own time, though.

6. Do you or does anybody in your family refuse to carry a cell phone? Again, parents disallowing it because you were too young doesn't count.

A: Nope.

7. Do you remember old school 5 1/4 inch floppy disks for computers? Maybe you're so young you don't even remember the 3.5 inch disks that were discontinued just a few years ago?

A: I remember both of them. Still have a bunch of old ones I don't use lying around.

A: A few weeks ago.

9. What was the first cartoon you fell in love with? Don't say MLP:FiM. You're all supposed to be at least 13 so I know you have a well-liked cartoon from before that.

Spongebob. Hate it now.

A: I didn't really watch many of the 80s cartoons, but I love shows like Macgyver, the A-Team(The TV show), Hogan's Heroes, and Get Smart(The TV show). Oh, and the classic Looney Tunes. I guess I did like Ren  Stimpy and Dragonball Z, but I bucking hated Ash Ketchum. So, that would be a yes.

1. I have dialed one, and know how to. My grandfather still owns one, although it isn't connected to anything anymore.

2. Eeyup. I got internet a couple years ago or so. (My grandmother has had it for longer, so I had used it before then, but only a couple years before.)

3. I dunno, I never payed much attention to events as a kid, but I'm sure I wittnessed them.

4. (Edit: I had forgotten about this one.)Eeyup, it was the first tv I got to myself. Before that we all just had one, but I got a tiny dial one for my room. I still own the other tv we had, from the early 90's. My parents have a brand new flatscreen, but who needs something that big, really

5. Eenope. I know about all of these events, but with the (maybe) exception of the re-unification of Germany and Saddam, they are fairly recent. (Depends what you mean by saying Saddam. He was in power in the 70's, but I assume you are talking about the Gulf war and Kuwait.)

6. I own one now, I very recently got it. But I don't text, or tweet, or whatever these new-fangled phones do. I only carry it when I'm going somewhere for an extended period of time. But it seems like the rest of my family has them. Even my 13 year old cousin has a new phone that has internet.

7. Eeyup.

8. I don't remember exactly, but i know I used it to look up the phone number of a pizza place near my home somewhat recently.

9. Pokemon most likely. Show was good, what can I say. It probably still is, but I haven't watched it recently. I also watched Drgonball and Dragonball Z as a kid, although they aren't really cartoons. (Yes, I know these are anime, but I consider them similar enough.)

10.Depends on how dated you think cartoons from the 60's are. I still find old cartoons pretty good, honestly. Except Scooby Doo, I hate all iterations of that show. (No offense to Scooby-Doo fans.)

Edited by Brosparkles
  • Brohoof 1

1- No and no.

2- No, i've had internet since a long time.

3- It's got to be 9/11, i really can't recall any else.

4- No, nowhere in the house.

5- I rarely get taught about nort-american history where i live, mostly it is about the First and Second World war. Other than that i study national history.

6- My aunt, she thinks they are too tricky and complicated.

7- Yes i know them, i actually used them.

8- Uhmm, i really can't recall, maybe 3 or 4 years ago.

9- Pokemon and Digimon.

10- Cartoons from the 80's rock, even though they are dated.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, but I haven't used one in years.

Honestly, I don't even know. I have a horrible memory.

3. What is the earliest national or world crisis you have a first hand memory of? 

September 11th >.>

We didn't have a TV that old!

I don't remember reading about this stuff in my textbook.

6. Do you or does anybody in your family refuse to carry a cell phone?

No.

Haha, yes! My parents used them for a little bit, actually. I think we might still have one lying around here.

This is what the internet is for!

But really, it's been a couple of years.

9. What was the first cartoon you fell in love with?

Sailor Moon, when I was very young. I still love it to this day.

Ugh, yes.

Edited by alybella

Yes. I used a rotary phone back in 5th grade as our classrooms back then didn't have the cool phones the High School did.

Yes. But once I was 8 I was on the interweb til now :D

3. What is the earliest national or world crisis you have a first hand memory of?

I have to say 9/11

Yes we had a huge Brown one in the living room before.

I feel really sorry for everyone that was under those events but I also feel deep hurt about 9/11 as I lost 2 family members in that event :/

6. Do you or does anybody in your family refuse to carry a cell phone?

Not that I know of.

Yes! I used to store my essays on them haha

In 2006 lol very long long time ago.

9. What was the first cartoon you fell in love with? 

I'd have to say the first cartoon I have fell in love with has to be between Black Rock Shooter and My Little Pony :3

Yeah but always good to go back and watch them :3

• Brohoof 1

*cough* i wasnt going to do this, but since the title has been amended i would like to ^_^ im 24 btw

i have my great grandmothers upstairs in the study.  its the only phone that still works when the power goes out.  i love it because its god-awful loud and i can hear it even downstairs.  i hate it too because those "press one for.." menus dont work with those phones.  i want a hamburger phone like from juno. <3

hmmm....i remember dial up and those AOL discs haha.  i remember playing DOS games though and playing oregon trail at school on apple ibms--tha tgame aggravated the tar out of me xD all my people starved or got diseases and died :/

i was in 8th grade when september 11th happened. i was playing chess under the desk with my friend eric.... i actually dont remember any other crisis specifically.... i know my brother in law was in desert storm though, and i had these trading cards of weapons??  it didnt occur to me that it was a "war" however.  he was just gone on a boat for a long time....

yeah ^_^ still have it, it folds up into a little squat cabinet with speakers built into the side.  the new flat screen sits atop the closed cabinet now.  had a microwave like that too lmao.

my text books barely got to september 11, and even then our course was so rushed to cram everything in that the recent events got skipped.

my boyfriend doesnt have a cell phone, and refuses to carry one.  he just doesnt want to be found when he doesnt want to be found :)  my grandparents barely use theirs, and actually still use CB radios when papaw goes out into the yard xD  i hate touch screen phones.  i like a sturdy flip phone, and i can keep the screen clean. ugh.

hmm 3.5 is what i remember using most, but i have a 5 1/4 in a box with my 8 track tapes lmao. 

last week.  sometimes its just easier. my grandma dog ears and highlights important numbers in it. (i live with her btw)

9. What was the first cartoon you fell in love with? Don't say MLP:FiM. You're all supposed to be at least 13 so I know you have a well-liked cartoon from before that. 

THUNDERCATS HOOOOO!!!! <3 it was a little before my time though, but i looovved it. and carebears and old MLP :3 and david the gnome!

not really; i admire them for being hand-drawn.  thats a feat of dedication in and of itself.  i watched boomerang a lot in my highschool days (woo! banana splits fan <3) the voice acting is kinda....meh in the 80s... :/

Edited by SweetJeans88
  • Brohoof 1

State: Arizona

I know how to use one. Never touched one. Never seen one.

Nope.avi.

Anything involving Iraq, Afghanistan, or Muslims.

They probably did when they lived in Yugoslavia, but in 'MURICA, no.

Uhm...... I haven't read about any of these in a textbook yet except East Germany, but they're all probably just 'MURICA IS THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN DA WORLD

No.

My aunt used to have a few colorful floppy disks.

Never.

9. What was the first cartoon you fell in love with? Don't say MLP:FiM. You're all supposed to be at least 13 so I know you have a well-liked cartoon from before that.  tongue.png

Spongbob Squarepants [ SEASON 1 - 3 ONLY >:( ]

I dunno? 

And speaking of floppy disks.....

Yes to both. I've always liked old tech, and I had one for a while. It was my phone for my room back in mid 90s.

I was one of the first in my area to have internet. This was when I was maybe 5-6 years old.

It was 9/11. Mainly because I never watched the news or payed any attention to daily events. Woke up early got dressed went to school had fun. (was 11)

oh yes, I remember it became mine. It was just collecting dust. My parents eventually agreed to letting me put it in my room so I can hook up the SNES.

Saddam, never read about him much in textbooks, if I did never clicked. I did hear a lot about him from my parents and occasional TV when I turned it on. Bill Clinton would be the same as Saddam in this instance. Reunification of Germany, I did read about it in the texts. With Katrina, I saw the news on it when it happened. Even got some of the students from that area relocated to my High School after the fact.

I had my dad, who at one time never thought they were of any importance. Was completely against them until he got one. Now he loves it a lot. I didn't get mine, was also first at my school to have one, until middle school (12/13 years old). I'll admit it was fun.

I remember the having to turn in homework for class on the 3.5in. floppy.

Sometime last year, sometimes I feel like looking up numbers the old fashioned way.

9. What was the first cartoon you fell in love with? Don't say MLP:FiM. You're all supposed to be at least 13 so I know you have a well-liked cartoon from before that.  :P

First cartoon I liked, is a tie between Pokemon, and Dexters Laboratory.

nope, I still think Dragonball looks and sounds good

I'm an older member (24), so I'll take a tackle at this.

1. I do know how to use a rotary phone! My parents had one in our house when I was younger and I would use it to call my grandparents, but after my dad died, the phone was replaced. Soooo the last time I ever used one was about 6 years old.

2. Yes! We didn't get our first computer with internet until 1999, when I was 10 and just started middle school. My childhood up until then was spent playing with my friends and watching TV. I'm glad I got the best of both worlds when I was younger. I spent a good chunk of my childhood doing what a kid should do and internet didn't come around until I was older. 

3. The first crisis I had knowledge of was the fighting going on over in Kosovo and Bosnia. I didn't understand too much, but it's what got me into politics and foreign affairs when I got older.

4. I think my grandparents had a TV like that, but my aunts and uncles got them a new big screen TV back in the 90s, so it wasn't one that I remember too much.

5. Being someone who remembers seeing Saddam Hussein's suicide on the news, where I was on 9/11, hearing about Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinski and following Hurricane Katrina so closely on The Weather Channel, it's a very surreal feeling knowing that I lived through all these major world events. It's subliminal.

6. Nope. We all have cell phones now. I got my first cell phone when I was in 8th grade. Now everyone in my family has a smart phone that they can't put down.  :P

7. Absolutely! My mom bought a huge package of them several years ago, but now they're obsolete and unusable. So we got creative with them: we use them as coasters for guests to use when they come over.

8. Just today, actually. We were looking up numbers for plumbers. I didn't think to look online to find a nearby plumber. xD

9. That cartoon was Sailor Moon. Been a fan since I was 6 and 18 years later, I'm still a major fan of the show! I don't know what about the show made me love it so much, but I was up early one morning and turned on the TV in my room and I found Sailor Moon on USA network. It was the episode 'Dangerous Dollies' where Usagi's younger brother falls in love with a possessed doll. I immediately fell in love. I would pretend I was Sailor Jupiter when I would play with my friends. It was, and is, such a great show and I'm eager to see what the reboot coming out this summer will be like!

10. Yeah, the 80s cartoons do look very dated, but I like a lot of them. I remember Captain Planet and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the original My Little Pony. I would sit and watch those shows all the time. Just because it might not have the best graphics doesn't mean it's not a quality TV show.

• Brohoof 1

I'm 19, so I might not be exactly what you're looking for since I'm I'm pretty close to twenty, but I'll answer anyway, just because.

I know how to use one and have done so before, although I have never owned one myself. It was at my uncle's house. I think he still has it actually. When I used it was maybe 5 years ago (not that long ago)

I've had Internet access ever since I was able to use a computer (when I was 5 maybe). However it was dial up connection and it used the telephone line, so my parents rarely allowed me to use it and never for extended periods of time.

Yeah, September 11th. I might have seen others before, but I was too young to care or remember.  I was about 8 or 9 at the time. I remember seeing it on tv with my mom. She seemed horrified, but it didn't seem like that big of a deal for me at the time. I thought that planes crashing into buildings was something that happens from times to times and was not unheard of.

Nope. My grandparents had one though and I remember finding it terribly old fashioned.

I never read about Saddam Hussein or Hurricane Katrina in history textbooks. The reunification of Germany feels like it's a very long time ago and it feels weird to think that it happened only a few years before I was born.

I... actually don't have a cellphone. I guess I'm old-fashioned.. maybe. I just never really needed one. I plan to purchase one in the near future though.

Yeah.. they made us buy one each year in primary school and we ended up never ever using it -_-

It's crazy how little memory these things had compared to what we have nowadays. How much did they hold? Like hardly even a single Mb right? Anyway, technology does move crazy fast.

Last week lol. But the time before that was probably 2 years or so ago.

9. What was the first cartoon you fell in love with? Don't say MLP:FiM. You're all supposed to be at least 13 so I know you have a well-liked cartoon from before that.  tongue.png

Scooby Doo or Pokemon, whichever came first. The cartoons I watched when I was younger than that don't count since I was hardly able to understand them at all.

Yes they do look dated. But to be honest, even the 90's cartoons I grew up with look dated now when I rewatch them.

I'm 16 and live in Denmark :)

1. I know how to use one but I have never actually done it.

2. If I had I don't remember. I do remember dial-up internet and such though.

3. Well yea you guessed it, 9/11.

4. No I have never had such a TV.

5. I guess it's the same as how you feel reading about World War 1 and 2 or the Cold war or some other events. It just feels more distant when you haven't experienced it.

6. No.

7. I remember these but I don't even know what they are called. We still have some lying around in my house, though nothing to read them with.

8. Never done that.

9. Tom and Jerry. I absolutely loved that show and I could probably still watch it and enjoy it xD

10. How should I know, depends what you feel about the cartoons from the 60s.

• 5 years later...
On 21.1.2013 at 4:53 PM, Wingnut said:

As an older member in the forum I put together a questionnaire that will help compare and contrast the worldview people in different age groups have. Everybody is welcome to participate but, as you will see, answers will differ greatly from those well over 20.  EDIT:  Unfortunately, I can't change the title to "10 Questions for Members who are 20 and under (or older)."  :/

EDIT:  I realize we have members all over the world.  Feel free to cite whatever the latest history you saw in your school books was. 

9. What was the first cartoon you fell in love with? Don't say MLP:FiM. You're all supposed to be at least 13 so I know you have a well-liked cartoon from before that.  :P

1. I know how to use it but never used  one

2. yes i had i got internet in '07-'09 i guess

3. 9/11

4. yeah we had those it was pain to go up to the tv to change the channel

5. i have no idea what is hurracane katrina and those others didnt really have much in our history book like 1 paragraph i guess

6. i actually didn carry one until '07

7. yeah we had lot of those they were my dads

8 i remember those it was like '04-'07 i guess?

9. i liked the moomin series. (Tanoshii Moomin Ikka)

10. I watched some '80 anime and they are pretty decent 

OK, time for ol' Gramps here to weigh in.

1. Yes, had one in every place I lived right up until I moved out on my own.  Been about 20 years since I used one.

2. There was no Internet (as we know it) when I was growing up.  It really didn't start to become a factor until around the mid-90s, when I was in my late 20s.

3. There were two that stand out.  On a national level, the Watergate scandal and subsequent resignation of President Nixon was the very first.  The second was the taking of hostages at the US Embassy in Iran after Ayatollah Khomeini took power.

4.  Definitely.  And an outside antenna to pick up the channels.  We didn't have cable.  At all.

5. Having lived through that, it just makes me feel old.

6. Nope, all of my family have them.

7. Yup.  Even used them, quite often.

8. Probably the last time I used the rotary phone.

9. Rocky and Bullwinkle.  Didn't get many of the jokes until much later, but loved those cartoons.

10. Watching them again, they do look a bit dated in terms of styles, but mostly they're just good escapist fun.

On 03/02/2013 at 2:17 AM, Marshmallow said:

I'm 19, so I might not be exactly what you're looking for since I'm I'm pretty close to twenty, but I'll answer anyway, just because.

Here's a 14 year old's perspective of these

1. I kind of know how to use one, I've tried a bit with one in Drama at School but I think it might have been a shitty one as it kept sticking at random points (and probably as a foal baby),

2. Yes, I was 10 before we got WiFi, I did have "internet" access at school and my mum and dad's portable hotspots but 99% of the time at home I was offline until then,

3. The Winter of 2010 (anyone in the British isles knows what I'm talking about) here's a clip of it for those who are outside of the British Isles...

4. No TV with dials that I can recall, or even find in my baby photos,

5. Some of them we've done but in my school we don't tend to use textbooks and some things merge between other subjects,

6. My sister doesn't tend to take her phone around with her but it's shitty so I can understand why,

7. I do not remember 5 and a quarter inch drives but I do remember 3 and a half inch drives,

8. I used to look through it because I'M A NERD but I've never needed to look up a number in the yellow pages,

9. It would be MLP I think, even though I'm not supposed to say that, true I did like other cartoons but MLP is the only cartoon I've "fell in love with",

10. Not really, because I can't see anything above 480P and everything below that is hardly noticeable and gradual until 144P when I can't see shit, and they sound fine to me, and they've been drawn so it's harder for them to be dodgy than if they tried to computer animate shit like that in the 80s

• Brohoof 1

I'm 20 and from Britain, I'll give your questions a go.

1. I do know how they work but I've never properly dialled one. I played with my granny's a lot when I was younger but it was always disconnected before I did.

2. Not really, but we did have dial up which didn't always work so well. I wasn't that interested in the internet until around 2010.

3. I have vague memories of 9/11 but as a three year old it didn't really affect or bother me and I didn't really understand waht I was seeing.

4. We never did, we did have a massive box TV from the early 2000s but never anything with dials.

5. I have only read about the reunification of Germany in a history text book and it's not that weird to me since by the time it came up in my education it had already been 14 years which is quite a long time. My younger sister is possibly learning about Tony Blaire who I remember being prime minister of the UK.

6. No, everyone in my family uses phones, even the older members try their best to keep up with the latest technology.

7. I do remember playing with my parent's floppy disks, I never made any major use of them myself though.

8. I only used a phone book once, it wasn't yellow pages, and that was in the early 2010s to look up my friend's home number. I do remember my parent's yellow pages though.

9. I don't really remember the first, I'm sure there was something I loved when I was younger, the first one I can remember loving was probably Scooby Doo though, or possibly Powerpuff Girls.

10. I don't know how cartoons from the 60s seem to you, but 80s cartoons do look dated, they're blurry and have low sound quality. I do appreciate them being mostly hand-drawn though, I miss hand-drawn cartoons and I hate the takeover of CG 3D cartoons nowadays.

I'm 16. Here are my answers:

1. I've never even seen a rotary phone.
  2. I did. I don't remember exactly when I first got access to the internet, but it was when I got my first computer, which was a tiny white laptop running Windows XP.
  3. I honestly don't know. I never paid attention to national crises when I was a kid.
  4. Nope. I've never seen a TV like that.
  5. Like reading about anything else in a history textbook, it's just something that happened in the past Although, some of those things I haven't seen in my textbooks. I'm sure they'd be present in newer ones, though.
  6. Everyone in my family has a phone or smartphone except my grandpa. I don't know if it's because he refuses to get or if he just hasn't bothered.
  7. I've never seen a floppy disk in my life. I'm actually kinda curious about them. How I would I go about finding one?
  8. Pretty much never.
  9. Spongebob! I still love that show. I think it even helped me learn English when I was really little, at least according to what my parents have told me.
  10. Depends on the show. Some of them look just fine, like Inspector Gadget. That's not to say that the quality of the footage is going to be the same as today's cartoons, but it's not unwatchable. Some of them do look incredibly dated, though, like He-Man.

Yes as a matter of fact I do. My father and I went to the flea market when I was 7 or so. We picked up 2 of them and I loved them. 

Yes I have. I was just...screwing around and obsessed with appliances. Always angry and temperamental too.

I don't remember actually. I don't remember anything.

We haven't but my grandmother kept one somewhere. It's in the woods now, suffice to say. 

Clunky. Clunky to actually flip pages but eh I could see why it was needed.

I refuse to carry one since I don't want my parents to overbear their beliefs about how I should act with it over me. I don't want to be a school wide sensation. "OMG HE HAS A PHONE NOW!" I don't want that.

I have seen them around, but not specifically.

Never ever.

Transformers Animated or the magic school bus.

Sorta kinda.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2013 at 8:53 AM, Wingnut said:

As an older member in the forum I put together a questionnaire that will help compare and contrast the worldview people in different age groups have. Everybody is welcome to participate but, as you will see, answers will differ greatly from those well over 20.  EDIT:  Unfortunately, I can't change the title to "10 Questions for Members who are 20 and under (or older)."  :/

1. I have the idea, but I have never used one.

2. I don't think I did. I never got to use it until I was about 12 or so.

3. I actually don't have first hand memories of any real crises. I was only 4 when 9/11 happened, and most of what I remember weren't really crises on a national or worldwide level.

4. I had one that was like an old-fashioned TV, but had buttons instead of dials.

5. I understand the point of this question, but it's just history. It doesn't feel that weird to me that it happened during my lifetime. Also, I never got to read about Katrina in any of my textbooks because they were old.

6. My grandma does. She doesn't see the point of them. I also don't see the need for one myself, as I really wouldn't use it for its intended function very often.

7. I actually do, and had to deal with them. I had an old Windows 95 laptop when I was a kid.

8. Never, actually. I don't really call people.

9. Wow, it's really hard to say. SpongeBob or Rugrats probably (watched a lot of reruns).

10. Probably. Cartoons from the 80's honestly look more dated than 60's cartoons do to me.

1. I've never used one, but I have seen how it's done.
  2. There may have been a time when we didn't have internet access, but I don't remember.
  3. Does the Columbine shooting count?
  4. No, we never did.
  5. In school, we never really did more "current" stuff.
  6. I remember my mom having a cell phone first, then my dad, I had one, then my brother did. Once we all had our own phones, we ended up getting rid of the home phone service.
  7. I don't do anything with old computers, so I don't have experience with older storage formats like floppy disks. There was a time in high school where we had to carry a 3.5 inch drive for some things, but I never used it since I prefered to use a flash drive, to the annoyance of the teacher.
  8. I never have.
  9. Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy.
  10. They look dated, but that's down to technology being different in those days. Cartoons generally look different in every decade.

On 1/21/2013 at 7:53 AM, Wingnut said:

1. I've never tried a rotary phone before. My grandfather has one, but it's only a decoration.

2. I didn't even know what the internet was until I was a few years old... does that count? :P

3. Indeed, the earliest crisis I remember was September 11th. I distinctly remember my mom being glued to the news all day long.

4. I don't think we have had an old-fashioned TV with dials on it... though it's possible that my grandparents have an old one put away somewhere. I should try and find out. :huh:

5. I remember bits of all those things in high school textbooks. I don't remember specifics, though. It was kind of surreal having such recent stuff in the same textbook as stuff from centuries ago :blink: Especially when all of those examples apart from the reunification of Germany occurred in my lifetime. Well, Bill Clinton is a stretch, but he had been serving his second term for about a year when I was born.

6. Everybody in my family is cool with cell phones.

7. Ha! I didn't even know what a computer was by the time floppy disks were considered outdated. :P

8. I last used the Yellow Pages a few years ago when Google was being a pain and not telling me where something was. That's rare, I know, but it did happen. :lol:

9. I fell in love with SpongeBob Squarepants when I was 5 years old. Watched the episode Procrastination one day and never looked back. Those were good times.

10. Somehow, in my opinion 80s cartoons look even more dated than 60s cartoons. It's strange. I enjoy 1960s Hanna Barbera cartoons more than just about every 80s cartoon I've ever seen.

(edited)

I'm over 20, but here's my perspective. just for kicks:

Yes, I know how and have used them many times. The last time was probably at least ten years ago. I don't use phones very often.

Yes, and it was better then than it is now. I guess the internet did exist, but it was not the everyday thing it is now. 

Probably 9/11 because I never did pay much attention to the news but that was pretty hard to ignore. 

Yes, we did. We had several. My first TV was a B&W 12" dial set with an antenna on top, and it didn't work very well. 

I can't answer this because I never made use of typical textbooks. I'm home-schooled so I had a different approach..

I don't carry a cell phone unless I want to have something for emergencies. I don't use it for socializing because I don't like phones.

I remember floppy discs that were more like 3.5" but I thought they disappeared quite a ways back now. 

Every time I need a number that's the method I still use and prefer.

9. What was the first cartoon you fell in love with? Don't say MLP:FiM. You're all supposed to be at least 13 so I know you have a well-liked cartoon from before that.  :P

Tiny Toon Adventures was always my favorite and still is.

They don't really seem all that dated. I can easily tell when they're from but they age pretty well. I can definitely tell the difference from the '60s ones. The old Looney Tunes from the '30s-'60s still hold up really well too.

Edited by Dreambiscuit