Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Future of My Little Pony and the Brony Phenomenon

planet news

End of the show and G4  

169 users have voted

1. 1. How many seasons do you think the show will last?

• Three. Next season will be the last, Im afraid.
    • Four. Not a whole lot longer...
    • Five. Might go strong for a while.
    • Six. Its still got some good time ahead.
    • Seven. The show isn't ending anytime soon!
    • Eight or higher. Its gonna be here for a long time!
  2. 2. Will you still be a brony even after the show dies?

• Still gonna be a very strong brony!
    • I might go down a bit, but still be a brony.
    • Im not sure yet.
    • I think Ill stop being a brony.
    • I'll forget I was ever a brony!
  3. 3. What do you think G5 will be like?

• Its gonna be awesome, just like FIM!
    • I think it will be nice, but not as good as FIM.
    • I dont really know yet.
    • It will not really be that good.
    • It will be terrible, just like G3!
    • There really might not be a G5.

This thread already exists and I agree with your take on it.

Well damn, they can do whatever they want to it. I guess I'll learn the lesson of "look first, ask questions later". I can be such a moron sometimes but I haven't made a thread in a while so I'll let it slip. For now.

It'll probably go on until the show ends. After that I doubt bronies will stop liking the show, but with the show over bronies will be in the media far less and brony culture may die down to a quiet fandom instead of being so dominent like we are now.

But what about gen six. Do you think bronies will make a triumphant return from the depths below (fandom hell/fandom heaven)?

The show will last for another 4-5 seasons, ending in 2018 or 2019.  The fandom at that time will be about a third to half the size that it is now.  Small pockets will continue to last until 2025-2030, when they'll finally disband.  Some people may continue to enjoy it for the rest of their lives, maybe even passing it on to their children, but a fandom will not exist.

Of course, that would change if a G5 revived the fandom.  That would be unpredictable, but I think it would come into being between 2020 and 2026.  It would more closely resemble G4 than it would previous generations, and it would have to use G4's formula for success.

As much as I'd like to see the fandom continue indefinitely, it will have to end at some point.

• Brohoof 1

The show will last for another 4-5 seasons, ending in 2018 or 2019.  The fandom at that time will be about a third to half the size that it is now.  Small pockets will continue to last until 2025-2030, when they'll finally disband.  Some people may continue to enjoy it for the rest of their lives, maybe even passing it on to their children, but a fandom will not exist.

Of course, that would change if a G5 revived the fandom.  That would be unpredictable, but I think it would come into being between 2020 and 2026.  It would more closely resemble G4 than it would previous generations, and it would have to use G4's formula for success.

As much as I'd like to see the fandom continue indefinitely, it will have to end at some point.

To think that being in this fandom has actually changed peoples lives for the better. There was a guy who's dad was in the army, he used to draw tanks and planes until his dad died and then he stopped. When he joined the fandom, he started to do art again and draw ponies which he seems to like and others applaud.

Bigger Brothers been following MLP since the 1980s, and Trekkies been around since 1967.

As long as this show and its fans continue to produce a broad variety of media based on our pastel-colored pony friends, then it will thrive for the foreseeable future.

• Brohoof 1

Bigger Brothers been following MLP since the 1980s, and Trekkies been around since 1967.

As long as this show and its fans continue to produce a broad variety of media based on our pastel-colored pony friends, then it will thrive for the foreseeable future.

I bloody hope so, and it's a strange thing I hope for too.

I bloody hope so, and it's a strange thing I hope for too.

Ponies make up a large part of many bronies' lives, generally for the greater good if you accept the fact you like ponies, but I certainly hope it lasts too.

Sadly I think the fandom will continue on for maybe a year or so after the show ends then die off, never to be as alive as it is/has been.

That's what everyone says about the furries, then here we are nearly thirty years later.

That's what everyone says about the furries, then here we are nearly thirty years later.

Furries been around that long? Anthro animal lovers?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I plan to revive ponies once I'm grown, if the fandom is over at that point - which will probably mean I'll be thirty-something :P (Wow, that's crazy to think XD!) :D I might even do my own series with my OCs, if I want to...:D

Only because the show ends doesnt mean I wont be a brony anymore.

Not involved in doing that much with warhammer 40k anymore but im still a fan of that.

Same with lord of the rings.

I will make it last FOREVER. Or until i die

, I merged your thread with this one, as there is a good deal of overlap regarding the fandom's lifespan. In the future, please use the search function if you believe a topic already exists. Thank you! :)

Considering the team, fanbase, and incentive. I think the show will go on for good while longer. I like to remain optimistic, but really, it's already made enough of an impact for it's continuation to hardly matter.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

HELL YES I WILL!

Being a brony has changed my life for the better. I'm more at peace with myself and a happier person thanks to both the show and fandom. I'll proudly call myself a brony for life!  B)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

If there IS one, I really don't know.

I mean no one expected this show to explode the way it did. Even DHX were just trying to make something of quality, and it ended up catching fire. If another team really worked hard and didn't just shoehorn the product like the past generations, than G5 might be something great!

Is it gonna be Friendship is Magic? No, but I don't expect it to be. I'd rather we just be happy with our wonderful, life changing surprise than trying to make lightning strike twice.

Optimistically, the creators of G5 would take the lessons of G4, both in-universe and out, and apply them to their show. How cool would it be if they continued the story of Equestria? With Twilight as the reigning Princess, the Mane Six honored as legends, and other subtle continuity nods?!

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

Ponies make up a large part of many bronies' lives, generally for the greater good if you accept the fact you like ponies, but I certainly hope it lasts too.

The furry fandom doesn't come from one show, it comes from an entire subculture. Of course it's been going on forever and ever x3

I'm not fighting to try and say this fandom will crash and burn, but I don't think comparing a fanbase started from a single show to a subculture with no specific anchor is very accurate.

• 1 month later...

We're maybe looking at a Star Wars fan or Trekkie situation, if it ends on a great note.

Yeahh, that's what I've always thought we were going to do - the vast amounts of fan works created by this fandom only keep growing, as well :D I think what most people are interpreting as a "decline" is mostly just a stabilization. I think it's going to go like Star Trek will, unless it has an ending that has the fandom up in arms.

Obviously I can't speak for the entire fandom, but I tend to like / continue liking things that have long since "run their course" (in terms of when something first aired, when a piece of literature was first written and published, etc.)  I've seen every episode of "Dragon Ball Z" twice (once through subbed, and once through dubbed).  But Son Goku's still awesome, and I've read some of the manga after seeing the anime.  I could always go back and re-watch the darn thing, and Toriyama will always be the man.  I still play (and adore) 8-bit games I've played and beaten a million times.  I repeatedly read the written works of an author most active in the 1920's and 30's, and I listen to music composed in the 18th century.  I still find Ryoko from "Tenchi Muyo" alluring, and I'm certain Dashie will still be my waifu when FIM wraps up lol.  I can't be the only person that feels this way.

I was just wondering, how long do you think the Brony thing will last after the show ends? Do you think it will last long enough for a possible revival?

Hey, dude. I've merged your thread (and several others) with an existing one. Please make sure you run a through search before creating a new topic. Also, remember that threads concerning the brony fandom go in Sugarcube Corner. Thanks! 

I doubt the fandom itself will end, but I can see it going through a contraction; which is something just about every fandom goes through. Remember when the Digimon anime was a big thing? It contracted, but the fandom itself still exists. Same goes for some video game fandom. Think of Phantasy Star and Spyro the Dragon. Heck, even the much maligned Atari Jaguar console has a following.

No fandom dies, but they all eventually hit a stage of contraction. How big said contraction will be is the question, though.

The fact that this was brought up three years ago means that MLP isn't going away anytime soon- In fact, it's only getting bigger. I have yet to see any signs that this fandom is contracting IMO given all the new users here.

Haha, as a veteran of MLP for 2 years, I'm still as much a brony as I was 2 years ago when I first joined.

• Brohoof 2

I think it's rather funny to look back at all those previous posts and predictions!

Bronies will be around for a VERY long time. I think that even if the show ends, it's not going to stop people from making awesome things and being a part of the fandom! 

I'm always seeing people say that they're leaving the fandom, and everyone drama queens over it! (though it's sad to see them go of course)  :D

But for each person that leaves, there's about 10 more people joining!