pinkiefan1287

English vs Japanese   

49 users have voted

1. 1. Which version do you like more?

• English
    • Japanese

Personally, I like both of them!

and excuse me as I understand Japanese pretty well so I don't even need subs

Theres not much prefrence I have over either of the two honestly. I like their choices in voices. And anyways, if the show were originally Japanese and translated to English, I'm sure the lyrics would of come out strange to us.

• Brohoof 3

Japanese. The lyrics are weird, but still, the signing is MUCH better than in the english version, not saying the english version dosen't have good singing.

Sorry Japanophiles, but I'm giving it to the English version. The overly simplistic, boring, totally dumbed down lyrics robbed the magic of that of that song. It just isn't the same as what English Pinkie has to offer. Singing wise, it's perfectly fine, but the lyrics...

It may sound weird in america but im betting you in japanese the lyrics are just as good. They talk in different orders with different words and all that stuff. I havent listened to the japanese version yet though, I saw the lyrics but im at a library so I cant use sound. sad.png

• Brohoof 1

Im a anime fan and having  mlp in Japanese is

a  rush for me, its like watching the show like

its all new and such to me and makes me

falling back in love with the show and the

ponies all the more and wanting season four to

come sooner!

I did like the jap  very good,  but the English is

also good so its a even 50/50 on me

when it comes to the songs but i will wait to see

how they handle the other songs coming up

in the season/

I Ike the English version better. It's probably just me but, I usually like things better that I knew first....if that makes sense. It's just to different.

• Brohoof 1

Japanese!! The English version seemed too cute. But there's no such thing as "too cute" in Japanese, so there it works perfectly. xD

Of course the words aren't going to be exactly the same. Keep in mind folks, these are two radically different languages. They not only have to translate the lyrics from English--they have to translate them into Japanese words that also fit the rhythm of the song. That's not easy to do. I think they did just fine with this one.

Edited by TailsIsNotAlone

After listening to the two back-to-back...I'm gonna have to go with the Japanese version. Don't get me wrong, both are good in their own right but I just prefer this VA's singing voice to the original for some reason I can't exactly explain. 

I like both verisions very much! Though if I had to pick one of them I'd take the english one since I can sing along ^^

(it can be a tiny bit difficult on the japanese ver :P)

I love Japan and the Japanese language and I think they really pulled this off well. I cannot complain about the rhyming or anything, because I do not speak the language and there is the issue of translation. So I believe that this was done perfectly. It had the original atmosphere and the singing was very good. :) It is far better than most dubs it seems..

I really will not choose which I like better though, because I like them both. I am just very impressed that they pulled this one off so well.

The English version of course. I don't understand Japanese, and the Japanese voice sounds weird to me. Very weird actually. Also, it feels not original to me. What I know is that Pinkie Pie is like 'this' and the Japanese version is... she doesn't feel like 'her'.

Yes, I don't like Anime for numbers of good reasons.

Well, reasons anyway... ;) Seriously, though, the language and culture are very different from what you're used to, so of course it'll sound strange to you. And of course, the literal meaning of the lyrics has to change if it's going to gel with the melody. Personally, I find Japanese to be a wonderful "singing" language. Point goes to the new!

Well, reasons anyway... wink.png Seriously, though, the language and culture are very different from what you're used to, so of course it'll sound strange to you. And of course, the literal meaning of the lyrics has to change if it's going to gel with the melody. Personally, I find Japanese to be a wonderful "singing" language. Point goes to the new!

No, seriously, I'm Asian. :P

post-10241-0-36234600-1365671775_thumb.png

In my opinion, Asian music is much more wonderful in its traditional style. Asian voices and musics taste much better in traditional songs, no matter if it's Chinese, Japanese, Korean or Mongolian. What I know is that Pinkie Pie is a young spirited Westerner girl (or pony). Listening to her singing in Japanese (and different voice) is just weird to me. It doesn't feel like the same Pinkie Pie I used to know. Of course, it's just the matter of the person, but I usually have a strong connection with characters I love, and very sensitive about imit-... voice difference.

Also, I like Asian voice more while it's used to speak normally. The man voice is manly, and the woman voice is womanly, including Japanese.

By the way, I don't want to talk about Anime here. :lol:

• 2 months later...

All you Japanese anime and Japanophiles, are you kidding me?! Seriously, just because something is in Japanese doesn't make it instantly better or cool.  The fact that you are obsessed with the culture obviously puts a bias spin on things.

That being said, the ORIGINAL work is always that way to go.  It expresses the intent of the writers/creators of the show.

As a Japanese American, I understand both cultures and languages, and let me tell you, the original is by far superior.  Let me go on to say that Japanese bronies and pegasisters are pretty upset with the changes of the show, calling it an inferior version.  The comparison video is actually Japanese fans mocking and upset over the cuts, changes to the original theme, voices, etc...they do NOT like the dub and prefer the original to be subbed instead....like what most of you Japanese anime fanboys/girls want for Japanese anime.  They state MLP is dead.  Half of the VA for the dub have are newcomers, case in point.  Take a look at a screen cap posted...the discussion is also on reddit:  post-17566-0-31349900-1373058597_thumb.png

Don't be so blind as to think, "it's Japanese, it's better."  Would you say the same for other shows, say, Batman TAS?  Do you really think that the Japanese dub of TAS is better, especially against the likes of  Kevin Conroy or Mark Hamill?  Don't kid yourselves.

Take a step back and let go of the novelty of the "foreign language/culture"...you'll find then without bias the original is better in 99.9% of the cases; MLP:FIM also of note.

• Brohoof 2

I honestly like hearing the words in a language I understand, and frankly i just prefer it a good bit for that.

I'm just not typically that into dubbed stuff I guess. Japanese is cool, but i've learned  love the English one alot. Plus I can understand it :). Without subtitles of course.

I like the English version better. The Japanese one had really weird lyrics, but it was still kawaii, I guess. I liked the English one since it was cuter.

lol yeah even though I'm a huge weeaboo over here, just because something's in Japanese doesn't make it better at all. Anyone who's all like "JAPANESE AAAA" in a way makes me facepalm.

Now, personally I like the Japanese one because Jesus Christ, Pinkie Pie speaks so insanely fast near the end to the point where I've read comments of native Japanese speakers having a hard time knowing what she's saying and this makes me laugh really hard. I know some Japanese and can figure out what she's saying up until that point, and then it's just like JFAJJFJKD

All you Japanese anime and Japanophiles, are you kidding me?! Seriously, just because something is in Japanese doesn't make it instantly better or cool. The fact that you are obsessed with the culture obviously puts a bias spin on things.

You sir, deserve a thousand of brohooves from any direction in any known universe from Earth to Equestria while party cannons are firing colourful streamers up to the sky and rain all of us with grace and fabulousity (if that's even a word).

I have nothing against Japanese, but its entertainment side is indeed overrated. Their technology is what makes me respect them, but seriously, their entertainment is very overrated.

• Brohoof 1

Bah, not really into either of them.  If I would be forced to choose, I prefer the english version.  Not because of xenophobia, or anything like that.  I think you know me better than that.

I love the English version but the Japanese version is super catchy c: so personally I vote for the  Japanese on this one. If anyone wants the Japanese one heres the link

• 4 weeks later...

Okay. I went ahead and listened to both versions (multiple times) and I like the English version more, slightly. Somewhat because it's the original, somewhat because it's my native language and somewhat because of all the synonyms used. That said, I think the Japanese version is done well and it captures the gist of the original English version (Though if I were Japanese I'd probably want the English version still).

I actually like listening to the Japanese version more, currently, since it's different from what I'm used to (and yes, I can understand it... up until the part where she starts speaking really quick XD). I imagine the novelty will wear off eventually though.