Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Last Movie You Watched?

GrooveBroove

A Silent Voice (2016)

Wow... this was something else. I've never come out of a cinema feeling as drained as I did with this Kyoto Animation feature. Hell, it's themes surrounding bullying, disability, social anxiety, communal isolation and suicide hit home so hard that I burst into tears as I left the cinema. It's a film not for the faint hearted, as it's relentlessly intense from the first minute right to its conclusion without much of a comedic break to give you rest. It's a difficult watch too, one that I barely survived but I can appreciate it for tackling such heavy topics without sugarcoating ANYTHING, making it a much more profound experience as a whole. Thankfully, it keeps a steady pace with some sublime animation and interesting characters to ensure it's got some vibrancy. Some of those characters are one dimensional, a few plot elements are left unexplained and its steadily consistent pace makes its 2 hour 10 minute run time feel a little too long but even with that, it was still a rewarding film with some excellent voice acting that compliments and supplements its intense dramatic tone well, making it feel well-rounded despite the issues I've made apparent.

I haven't read the manga this adaptation was based on, but it's something I want to check out now having seen this. It's one of the most difficult films I've ever seen and its not perfect as many have stated, but damn... this is a film that's worth seeing if you want to test yourself. It may seem cute and cuddly from the outside, but I swear, it's anything but that.

8/10

Gravity, which represented the stillness beyond our atmosphere in such a way it woke up a bittersweet longing within myself, for how it's like beyond the existential struggles of living organisms.

It reminded me of home, everywhere yet nowhere.

Return to Oz

329a4a5a72af3bbeac543d32dda9980b.jpg

This is one that I'd always heard was a cult classic. After reading the first three books, I decided to see how the movie compared. There are scenes that actually follow the books pretty closely, compared to the MGM movie. I liked it, overall.

And yeah, it's pretty much as creepy as everyone says. :P 

• Brohoof 2

Fist Fight. It was as expected; silly, stupid, crude and funny. There's a scene with a little girl singing onstage at her school (if you've seen it, you know what I mean), and that just floored me! :lol: