Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Last Movie You Watched?

GrooveBroove

Zootropolis (or Zootopia as it's called outside of Europe).

My friends have been asking me to watch this for a while. I enjoyed it but I wouldn't say it's one of my favourite Disney movies.

Alice In Wonderland (1951)

Having loved the Alice In Wonderland universe for many years and been disappointed by the remakes, revisiting the original Disney adaptation was something I felt needed to be done, having not seen it since my childhood. However, I consider that to be a mistake as it doesn't hold up as well as I thought. Don't get me wrong, the visuals are stunning and the highlight of the film as a whole, but everything else was just abrasive and in your face from the voice acting to the musical numbers making it quite an uncomfortable watching experience. Sure, you'd expect that given the psychedelic nature of the visuals for the time period that having it feel uncomfortable given the source material is what Disney were going for, but the musical numbers felt so shoehorned that it broke any tension that could be mustered. As a result, it felt lifeless and limp, rather than enthralling. Combining plot points of Through The Looking Glass as well as the original novel meant the story felt poorly assembled making the detached experience I had watching it feel even more apparent as the story failed to flow well, adding to my lacklustre experience.

All in all, I came out of this angry and frustrated. For a film of such visual whimsy and charm, to have the rest of its components fail so hard is incredibly disappointing. It feels dated on every aspect outside of what can be seen, which explains why Disney decided to remake it in the first place and execute the story in order properly. Then again, all fail at being able to adapt Lewis Carroll's work well... so I could say that this is a lesson to many: don't adapt Alice In Wonderland if you can't get everything en pointe. It can be creepy and stunning visually like this Disney one was, but with everything else around it falling by the wayside, it's style against substance mentality wasn't one that worked.

2.5/10

Kubo and Sing!

Both really good films - Im actually obsessed with Sing. Never expected it to be so good when it was being advertised everywhere, but I love it! in fact its inspired me to write my first song with my partner. ASH IS MY FICTIONAL SPIRIT ANIMAL NOW!

Illumination are beating Dreamworks in number of good CGI movies! (Dreamworks still has dragons and kung fu panda though) 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
9 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

Return of the Jedi

One of my favorite happy endings of all time.

...Which is unfortunately why I can't enjoy the Sequel Trilogy as much as many others: It's pretty much negated said ending to the Dark Side and back.

Edited by A.V.

9 minutes ago, A.V. said:

One of my favorite happy endings of all time.

...Which is unfortunately why I can't enjoy the Sequel Trilogy as much as many others: It's pretty much negated said ending to The Dark Side and back.

Also the sequel trilogy is garbage.

I'm a big fan of all the books Disney has declared non-canon so I still read those.

Fences 10/10

Well developed movie! Such a sad but a renewal movie overall. 

@ForthEorl MAD MAX 2 is such a choice movie! They had a marathon of the first three movies here on Friday, which I watched, needless to say of course ;)

The last movie I watched was The Bourne Ultimatum. I still want to give the books a shot.

large_fHho6JYYY0nRcETWSoeI19iZsNF.jpg

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I got back from seeing Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 a little bit ago, and I have to say that it was all kinds of awesome.

Marvel is currently on a roll, and I can't wait to see Spider-Man Homecoming and Thor Ragnarok this summer.

Edited by cmarston1