Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Pokemon X and Y Discussion Thread

BrainyBrony

I haven't been playing X and Y much recently to be honest, I played it once to get my Vivillon Pokeball and Vivillon Fancy, but that was like it. 

As far as shines go... I can only remember running into 2 shines in my lifetime. One was a shiny wurmpule a long time ago, I no longer had it. It was in Emerald. It became a dustox, but i think I lost my save anyways.

The other shiny I got was a shiny Sligoo, However I actually ended up trading it for a friend of mines shiny Eevee, because I love Eevee and all it's evolutions(if you haven't noticed.) But I don't really care for Goodra personally. 

So I took the shiny Eevee, and turned him into a shiny Umbreon, so now I have a shiny Umbreon, which considering Umbreon has an awesome shiny form, and is my favorite Pokemon, it's pretty awesome :D.

Now while I haven't encountered many shinies, I've encountered several pokerus viruses on my Pokemon randomly before.

Infact, one time I actually got Pokerus twice in one day in two different games! I think I was playing Pokemon White or something and got Pokerus there, then I went to play Heartgold for something(I think it was Heartgold...) and I got another Pokerus! In the same day!

Not really as valuable as a shiny in my eyes, but it was still cool considering the chances.

Edited by Zygen

Ughhh, still deciding if I should get a 3DS. I mean, there are a lot of games I want, like this one, but what really gets me is if I should get a regular 3DS, or an XL. Any suggestions?

Ughhh, still deciding if I should get a 3DS. I mean, there are a lot of games I want, like this one, but what really gets me is if I should get a regular 3DS, or an XL. Any suggestions?

Well, It kind of depends upon whether you really value the extra screen space of the XL. 

The XL i find is a bit harder to put in your pocket in stuff, atleast from what I can tell with others who have them.

The XL I heard also is at a bigger risk for the screen snapping, since the screen is bigger and puts more pressure on the hinges, but idk if that's true as i've never seen any snap, and I suppose with enough wear that can happen to any of them.

I personally have a regular 3DS in Black. (I actually thought about getting purple, but decided against it ;p.) 

Although I wouldn't mind having an XL maybe, especially one of those Pokemon X and Y exclusive ones(Which i'm not even sure if they sell anymore.) 

But personally I am fine with my 3DS for now, the XL does have a much bigger screen, but I like my portable systems, well to be easily portable, and my 3DS fits in my pocket relatively easily.

Although it can also sometimes fall out if I'm not careful, but regardless ;p.

Hope that helps some.

• Brohoof 1

Well, It kind of depends upon whether you really value the extra screen space of the XL. 

The XL i find is a bit harder to put in your pocket in stuff, atleast from what I can tell with others who have them.

The XL I heard also is at a bigger risk for the screen snapping, since the screen is bigger and puts more pressure on the hinges, but idk if that's true as i've never seen any snap, and I suppose with enough wear that can happen to any of them.

I personally have a regular 3DS in Black. (I actually thought about getting purple, but decided against it ;p.) 

Although I wouldn't mind having an XL maybe, especially one of those Pokemon X and Y exclusive ones(Which i'm not even sure if they sell anymore.) 

But personally I am fine with my 3DS for now, the XL does have a much bigger screen, but I like my portable systems, well to be easily portable, and my 3DS fits in my pocket relatively easily.

Although it can also sometimes fall out if I'm not careful, but regardless ;p.

Hope that helps some.

I think I'll go with the original, because if it isn't as fragile I'll buy that one. I mean, my face will be pretty close to the screen anyway. I also haven't played Pokemon since HGSS. Would you say X and Y are as good? 

• Brohoof 1

I think I'll go with the original, because if it isn't as fragile I'll buy that one. I mean, my face will be pretty close to the screen anyway. I also haven't played Pokemon since HGSS. Would you say X and Y are as good? 

No problemo! Those are just my personal opinions and stuff, so don't base your buy just off me, but regardless if you have decided then good :D.

I'd say X and Y are quite good, I quite liked them, while I haven't personally played them a bunch lately(mainly due to being addicted to Skyrim and other things xD.) they are enjoyable atleast to me personally. And to many others. For some reason playing them back when I did made me feel like a kid again, I don't really know why, but it was awesome :D.

While there isn't a ton of new Pokemon in X and Y, there are some pretty awesome ones within the ones in it regardless.

Plus it's in 3D in battles and some other things, and thus the battles look awesome! 

Oh and the character customization, I bought everything you can customize your character with xD. Above most other items while playing through the game xD.

Plus Fairy types I feel aren't broken or anything, and Mega evolutions don't feel broken either, they just kind of add a mix up to competitive play.

Ok, well maybe in the normal game Mega evolutions can sometimes be a bit iffy for balance, but most of the Mega evolutions you can't get before you beat the main game anyways.

Competitive play I feel is also a lot more accessible in the new game. Due to some changes to things related to competitive play which you can lookup some of i'm sure, as well as the fact that you don't have to go to a pokemon center to initiate an online battle!

Although personally, i haven't done a lot of competitive, but that is certainly easier to get into in my opinion in X and Y. 

The only thing I'd have to say i wasn't a big fan of in X and Y was the story, personally I felt it wasn't really anything great, it was ok. They have a post game mission type of thing you can do though, which apparently has a better story than the main game ;p. But I've yet to do that either. The story in Black and White was much better though in my opinion. 

Well, and there isn't a ton of post game content I guess if you don't do competitive. There is some stuff, but not a whole ton really. 

Despite it's flaws however, I still personally enjoyed X and Y, and I know many others who did, but i'm not you, so I can't say if you'll like it for sure.

Hope you do regardless!

• Brohoof 1

No problemo! Those are just my personal opinions and stuff, so don't base your buy just off me, but regardless if you have decided then good :D.

I'd say X and Y are quite good, I quite liked them, while I haven't personally played them a bunch lately(mainly due to being addicted to Skyrim and other things xD.) they are enjoyable atleast to me personally. And to many others. For some reason playing them back when I did made me feel like a kid again, I don't really know why, but it was awesome :D.

While there isn't a ton of new Pokemon in X and Y, there are some pretty awesome ones within the ones in it regardless.

Plus it's in 3D in battles and some other things, and thus the battles look awesome! 

Oh and the character customization, I bought everything you can customize your character with xD. Above most other items while playing through the game xD.

Plus Fairy types I feel aren't broken or anything, and Mega evolutions don't feel broken either, they just kind of add a mix up to competitive play.

Ok, well maybe in the normal game Mega evolutions can sometimes be a bit iffy for balance, but most of the Mega evolutions you can't get before you beat the main game anyways.

Competitive play I feel is also a lot more accessible in the new game. Due to some changes to things related to competitive play which you can lookup some of i'm sure, as well as the fact that you don't have to go to a pokemon center to initiate an online battle!

Although personally, i haven't done a lot of competitive, but that is certainly easier to get into in my opinion in X and Y. 

The only thing I'd have to say i wasn't a big fan of in X and Y was the story, personally I felt it wasn't really anything great, it was ok. They have a post game mission type of thing you can do though, which apparently has a better story than the main game ;p. But I've yet to do that either. The story in Black and White was much better though in my opinion. 

Well, and there isn't a ton of post game content I guess if you don't do competitive. There is some stuff, but not a whole ton really. 

Despite it's flaws however, I still personally enjoyed X and Y, and I know many others who did, but i'm not you, so I can't say if you'll like it for sure.

Hope you do regardless!

I've heard X and Y were really easy. Is that true? 

Also, when you say competitive play is more accessible, do you mean you don't need friend codes to play online?

• Brohoof 1

Also, when you say competitive play is more accessible, do you mean you don't need friend codes to play online?

The main game for X and Y is pretty easy in my opinion yes unfortunately. I think it has to do with the fact that the Xp share was changed to give XP to all your Party Pokemon. As well as the fact wild pokemon grant XP on capture or defeat now.

Plus, when I played through Y, I caught like all kinds of pokemon I saw lol. So I ended up being really overleveled eventually. 

It is one of the easier games in terms of the main game though, especially using the XP share.

I might try a XP shareless run and see if it's a bunch harder or anything ;p.

And yeah, you don't need a friend code to battle online, I forgot about that. Although I think that started in Black and white, but regardless. 

You can battle whoever you want basically, you can challenge people nearby you to battle(As in like within streetpass distance, I think you can even challenge them later, although I forget) and you can also just browse through random people, or you can simply just queue up for a battle with a random person. All pokemon I think get scaled to 50, Or maybe it's scaled down to 50 only, I forget exactly.

But you don't need friendcodes to battle, unless you want to battle a specific person. 

• Brohoof 1

The main game for X and Y is pretty easy in my opinion yes unfortunately. I think it has to do with the fact that the Xp share was changed to give XP to all your Party Pokemon. As well as the fact wild pokemon grant XP on capture or defeat now.

Plus, when I played through Y, I caught like all kinds of pokemon I saw lol. So I ended up being really overleveled eventually. 

It is one of the easier games in terms of the main game though, especially using the XP share.

I might try a XP shareless run and see if it's a bunch harder or anything ;p.

And yeah, you don't need a friend code to battle online, I forgot about that. Although I think that started in Black and white, but regardless. 

You can battle whoever you want basically, you can challenge people nearby you to battle(As in like within streetpass distance, I think you can even challenge them later, although I forget) and you can also just browse through random people, or you can simply just queue up for a battle with a random person. All pokemon I think get scaled to 50, Or maybe it's scaled down to 50 only, I forget exactly.

But you don't need friendcodes to battle, unless you want to battle a specific person.

Awesome. I'm so used to just dropping into an online match, friend codes just sound stupid.

Also, defeating wild Pokemon always gave you xp, if I remember, though capturing them I don't remember.

• Brohoof 1

Awesome. I'm so used to just dropping into an online match, friend codes just sound stupid.

Also, defeating wild Pokemon always gave you xp, if I remember, though capturing them I don't remember.

Yeah, Friend Codes are annoying when you just want a random battle.

It's fine with arranging battles with friends and stuff, but requiring it is annoying.

Also, since the 3DS has it's own friendcode for it, you just use that one friendcode for everything, so anybody you add on 3DS will appear on Pokemon(Assuming they have it and go online while your online with both of you having added each other.)

Yeah, defeating wild pokemon always gave XP, but catching them didn't. Now it does.

And the XP share gives every one of your pokemon XP, I forget how they work it out, and the lead still gets full XP if I recall, so while it can give your party some balance in terms of leveling, which is good in a way, it can also lead to you getting pretty over leveled in some cases.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, Friend Codes are annoying when you just want a random battle.

It's fine with arranging battles with friends and stuff, but requiring it is annoying.

Also, since the 3DS has it's own friendcode for it, you just use that one friendcode for everything, so anybody you add on 3DS will appear on Pokemon(Assuming they have it and go online while your online with both of you having added each other.)

Yeah, defeating wild pokemon always gave XP, but catching them didn't. Now it does.

And the XP share gives every one of your pokemon XP, I forget how they work it out, and the lead still gets full XP if I recall, so while it can give your party some balance in terms of leveling, which is good in a way, it can also lead to you getting pretty over leveled in some cases.

Thanks for the tips, bro. :D  I'll definitely get this game with my 3DS, as well as Link Between Worlds.

• Brohoof 1

Thanks for the tips, bro. :D  I'll definitely get this game with my 3DS, as well as Link Between Worlds.

No problem! Anytime!

And awesome! I want to get Link Between Worlds! I haven't though yet, i'm kind of broke currently ;p.

• Brohoof 1

No problem! Anytime!

And awesome! I want to get Link Between Worlds! I haven't though yet, i'm kind of broke currently ;p.

Being broke is never fun :(  I'm a huge Zelda nut, so I need to get it.

• Brohoof 1

Being broke is never fun :(  I'm a huge Zelda nut, so I need to get it.

Yeah, true, but I did buy a bunch of stuff, like a computer, and a guitar, and a bunch of steam games xD. So yeah I deserve to be broke kinda lol.

I haven't played as much Zelda as I probably should have, I need to play more, but yeah.

Also, just so this doesn't go off topic a bunch, if you wanna keep talking we should probably PM or something ;p.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, true, but I did buy a bunch of stuff, like a computer, and a guitar, and a bunch of steam games xD. So yeah I deserve to be broke kinda lol.

I haven't played as much Zelda as I probably should have, I need to play more, but yeah.

Also, just so this doesn't go off topic a bunch, if you wanna keep talking we should probably PM or something ;p.

That would probably be a good idea. :D .

• Brohoof 1

Yeah it's true that X/Y are easy because the exp. share mechanics have the same as R/B/Y's exp. share mechanics, but this time, the pokemon you're battling gets full exp while the others get half of the experience. if you want to make it a challenge, just turn and keep the exp. share off at all times. You don't need Friend codes to play online unless you want a Friend Safari from us and/or give us O-Powers. For competitive play, you still need a friend code for those that wants to battle against you, but if you're using battle spot and battling random people by passerbys, your friend code isn't needed.

also the friend code for the game syncs with your 3DS friend roster.

Yeah, I haven't been playing my game very often. It's one of those games where I don't feel motivated to play unless someone else wants to play it with me. Like, the last thing I did was just check out the friend safari stuff since my cousin came over and happened to have the game too. Apparently, I have a dragon type safari with sligoo, which is the most ironic coincidence ever (I really don't like dragons... though, I do make an exception for Goodra). 

As for the difficulty of the game: could you really say any of the games are that difficult in the first place? Like, yeah, there's Lance and his triple Dragonite nonsense plus the battle afterward and maybe even Whitney's Miltank ( which is utterly hilarious by the way), but other than that, there's really nothing hard about the games.

• Brohoof 1

As for the difficulty of the game: could you really say any of the games are that difficult in the first place? Like, yeah, there's Lance and his triple Dragonite nonsense plus the battle afterward and maybe even Whitney's Miltank ( which is utterly hilarious by the way), but other than that, there's really nothing hard about the games.

The Pokémon games aren't hard if you have the right Pokémon. Everyone says that Whitney's Miltank is the hardest gym Pokémon to beat and I'm just trying to catch a Heracross to use specially for that Miltank. I struggled a little with Lance's three Dragonite, but I just kept on using Revives until all three go down. Even so, the difficulty of the games aren't that much of a big deal for me. I think that people should try out competitive play if they want something slightly harder. -3-

Yeah, I haven't been playing my game very often. It's one of those games where I don't feel motivated to play unless someone else wants to play it with me. Like, the last thing I did was just check out the friend safari stuff since my cousin came over and happened to have the game too. Apparently, I have a dragon type safari with sligoo, which is the most ironic coincidence ever (I really don't like dragons... though, I do make an exception for Goodra). 

Yeah I haven't felt really motivated to play myself. Guess having friends to play with or something helps.

And true, pokemon games aren't known for their difficulty, but X and Y are just the easiest in the series, or atleast one of the easiest.

It's not really a big deal to me, although I wouldn't mind it being harder.

• 1 month later...

So I got my 3DS and Pokemon X. Just beat the first gym and reached the second major city that looks like Paris. Picked Fennekin as my starter because I like getting the fire type starters and Fennekin looked cute. Got 5 pokemon now

Pikachu, Pidgey, Riolu, and Squirtle.

• Brohoof 1

The Pokémon games aren't hard if you have the right Pokémon. Everyone says that Whitney's Miltank is the hardest gym Pokémon to beat and I'm just trying to catch a Heracross to use specially for that Miltank. I struggled a little with Lance's three Dragonite, but I just kept on using Revives until all three go down. Even so, the difficulty of the games aren't that much of a big deal for me. I think that people should try out competitive play if they want something slightly harder. -3-

Very much this. In the original G/S/C, you could catch Gastly to cheese the Miltank fight. In both the originals and remakes, there's someone in the Goldenrod Department Store who will trade a Drowzee for a Machop, so the trainer has something to use against Miltank. Or you could catch Geodude and wait for it to learn Self-Destruct at Level 18.

On the subject of X/Y, the only fight I found a little difficult was the last fight against Team Flare's leader. It feels that criticals seem to happen more often in X/Y at the worst times for me. I eventually won that fight with no problems.

As for the games proper, I found them easy other than that moment I mentioned. The game could've used more Fairy types, after being hyped. Mega Evolutions are good except for a couple (looking at you, Banette).

• Brohoof 1

I just started a new file on Pokémon Y when I got a new 2DS. Last time I rushed through the game with the same Pokémon. This time however, I'm rotating out Pokémon before the Elite Four.

I agree. There's not a lot of post game content but they usually save most of it for the 3rd version. For example Emerald had the Battle Tower upgraded to the Battle Frontier. One of my favorite features in any Pokémon game was the Battle Frontier because you can battle in a variety of different ways. I hope they bring it back. But X & Y doesn't have the weakest post game because Generation 1 has the weakest post game.

• Brohoof 1

Generation I does indeed have the weakest postgame, and I've been playing the Pokémon games since 1999. Catch Mewtwo, and you're finished with the postgame. Sure, X & Y has very little to do in the postgame (Maison, dex filling, a couple side missions) but it's definitely not the weakest. I'm still on the hunt for Pokédex filling, which I'm in no rush to finish.

• Brohoof 2