Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Engineers, anyone?

Null_user

Technically I'm a Chemical Engineer, although I've spent very little time in the field once I got that degree. There was some confusion in disciplines when I started, and due to events I was unable to transfer between disciplines. What I really wanted was material engineering, and that was actually split between Mechanical and Civil Engineering at the time.

Long time ago, though, so it may have changed by now. Technically if I had continued on and finished a doctorate in that, supposedly I might have ended up with material engineering within Chemcial, but I'd been misled by the profs enough at that point and moved on to other pursuits.

Am I the only networking major here? Come on guys, surely there's another networking guy here. Who are the people that build your networks and make it work, after all? Network engineers. You can thank us for giving you the Internet :P

• Brohoof 1

Going into software engineering starting this September! I am seriously looking forward to it, I did some major academic upgrading in math and physics by taking a program that basically allows me entry into any engineering field provided by the college I attend.

I have no idea where I'm going to go with this when I'm done, but I know I'm going to enjoy every moment of it. Finally learning the interesting and cool things that were too complicated to be taught in all the other "basic" computer courses I've taken throughout my life. The math will be a fight, but I think I will be able to handle it after last year's successful run.

Edited by Celtore

@Fhaolan, I'm very sorry to hear of that kind of thing happening in the university system. I'm glad you were able to move on, and I do hope you enjoy the work you do now.

@Exuro Spark, Hey! Glad to see another Big Ten member! As a loyal Boilermaker, I must say I'm sorry you don't go to a REALLY good school like Purdue, but as a brony I'm happy to meet you :)

Hope you enjoy EE!

@Daring, Thank you kindly for the Internet, good sir!

@Celtore, Wow! Sounds like you really know what you want to do. I hope you continue to have that passion and find that software engineering is all you expect it to be.

I know aeronautical engineering isn't at all what I expected, but I do love it all the same. And I love it more and more as I learn more about it!

• Brohoof 1

@Fhaolan, I'm very sorry to hear of that kind of thing happening in the university system. I'm glad you were able to move on, and I do hope you enjoy the work you do now.

Oh, I'm fine with it now. :lol:  It's just something to warn people about. Many times the profs and deans and whatnot have no interest in *you*, just the funding your headcount brings in. I found out too late that the dean of the chem eng department was deliberately blocking anyone's transfers (not just me), because that would have reduced the department funding and the department wasn't doing so well due to the high dropout rate (500 students in 1st year, 30 of us graduated). I actually came out of it with a double honors, in the specialties of Environmental engineering and Process Control engineering, and put down a good chunk of credits towards a degree in History and another in Architecture. I was already paying for it, so I figured in for a penny, in for a pound.

They had a funny system back then. I don't know if they ever got around to fixing it. They didn't charge per credit, just per semester, so I added several night courses for 'free' each term. And since I was on a co-op program every other semester was considered 'work' rather than 'class' (which is how I managed to afford university in the first place), they never charged me for correspondence courses while working as an intern at various refineries and the like.

I graduated with abysmally low marks, but I overwhelmed them with credits. B)

I am going to L. C. Bird governors school for engineering. I just got back from a 4 day long engineering camp at UVA. It was fun but my roommate wasn't very nice.

Edited by GunDogM60

@Exuro Spark, Hey! Glad to see another Big Ten member! As a loyal Boilermaker, I must say I'm sorry you don't go to a REALLY good school like Purdue, but as a brony I'm happy to meet you :)

Hope you enjoy EE!

Pleasure to meet you too, and thanks for the well wishes. I wish I were going to a better school too, but 25th in the nation for engineering ain't that bad a place to be. Especially since it's higher than my other choice of Drexel.

I'm not a professional engineer but a Plan Engineer. My job is to calculate how much heat loss and heat gain a building has during the summer and/or winter. Depending on the job, I also have to design an air conditioning system for the house and size the unit according to the calculated load on the building. Designing central AC isn't always easy. Sometimes there is little space to run trunk duct and special fittings have to be made which increases the cost of the job. Plus there is a lot of things you need to take into account when designing ductwork such as sizing, velocities, zoning ect.

It's a lot of detail but it becomes second nature after doing it for a while. Someday i'd like to go back to school and get a mechanical engineering degree.

Wow, that's awesome! I love that everything you mentioned made perfect sense. I definitely learned a lot the last two semesters of college about working within consumer parameters and finding creative alternative solutions to common problems.

Thanks for sharing!

Hey there!

Just curious how many engineers bronies are out there! A bit about myself: I'm currently a sophomore at Purdue University, studying aeronautical engineering. I'd like to work for either a general or defense aviation company someday, possibly as a test engineer or airframe designer.

If you're studying to become an engineer or already work in the field, tell me a bit about you! Any advice, stories, or just about anything about the field you'd like to share? I'd sure love to hear it!

That's cool, I would really never thought that I am the only Engineer here.(You must not know more about me! Don't bother asking me when I got my degrees and all!)

Well I went to an Aerospace Engineer course for three years and well now.... 

Well I am a person in-charge of the entire design of the mainframe of Boeing 747, so yeah, you can say that I design the fundamental design of the aircraft that you all are onboard.I only design the aircraft's wing btw in usual times...

Edited by Rainbow Dash

Penn State's been pretty good so far. I've been attending the Brandywine campus, and will be until junior year. Brandywine is closer to home and cheaper, but I can only finish the major up at the main campus (which I wouldn't be opposed to if Brandywine wasn't so nice).

i am currently in a dutch engineering course.

i have no idea what the english term for it is but in dutch it's called 

Algemeen

Operationeel

Techniekus

or just AOT in short :)

A literal translation would be as follows:

General

Operational

Technician.

Aeronautics. Nuff said.

My friend actually wants to go into that field. Also, math is very, very helpful for any type of engineering.

I cannot imagine engineering without it .__.

So yeah, I'm currently going for my bachelor's in electrical engineering where we have the choice to specialize in either telecommunications engineering or power engineering. I'm going for the latter since I'm very interested in electrical power systems. It'll be another two years before I finish here and get my degree, after which I can see myself finding employment at the local power plant or power distribution branch. While I may not be able to afford a master's program, with any luck I'd impress my employers enough for them to see a worthwhile investment in me.

IT engineer working in the industry yeah. 12 hours a day and 6 on satudays its hard sometimes but learning never stops and its awesome to create things from nothing... in the code that is =P

@Exuro Spark, Glad to hear that's working out for you! Yeah, I'm at the main campus for my school, and its very much out of state, so expense is something I'm familiar with. Luckily I got some partial scholarship money to help out.

@SunBurn, That's really cool! I'm actually quite curious, what would you be doing working at a distribution plant? What kinds of tasks are involved in a job like that?

@Colt, All I have to say is you must REALLY like coding to work that much! I'll take my CAD programs any day as I'm a well below average programmer myself. But hey, the more power to ya!

Sophomore at Purdue studying aeronautics..sounds like me! Except I'm actually going to UTexas. I'm actually only 80% sure that I will actually become an engineer, considering it is a pretty technical career. I'm not afraid of the mathematics involved which is what brought me to want to study aerospace, not to mention I've got a deep interest in aviation and hope to get my PPL sometime next year possibly if I can secure funds.

In a nutshell, I'm thinking "do you want to make planes, or do you want to fly them?" Obviously I would rather fly, but I think that engineering is a better career because you are contributing to society with your innovations, rather than just flying them (which requires much experience!), but I don't know if that's what I was meant to do.

• Brohoof 2

Sophomore at Purdue studying aeronautics..sounds like me! Except I'm actually going to UTexas. I'm actually only 80% sure that I will actually become an engineer, considering it is a pretty technical career. I'm not afraid of the mathematics involved which is what brought me to want to study aerospace, not to mention I've got a deep interest in aviation and hope to get my PPL sometime next year possibly if I can secure funds.

In a nutshell, I'm thinking "do you want to make planes, or do you want to fly them?" Obviously I would rather fly, but I think that engineering is a better career because you are contributing to society with your innovations, rather than just flying them (which requires much experience!), but I don't know if that's what I was meant to do.

I hope I can get into aeronautics. Is it something you simply choose after like a year or two getting all the general stuff in Mech?

How does one go about it?

I hope I can get into aeronautics. Is it something you simply choose after like a year or two getting all the general stuff in Mech?

How does one go about it?

For our school, you have to take all of your core curriculum during your first two years (English, history, etc.) before you get into your upper division courses. If you have any AP credit, you should claim as many as you can to lower the coursework that you will be given. You will also take a few intro courses into aeronautics like computation and intro to aerospace. Afterwards, you will get into your upper division courses which is self explanatory: you dive deep into rocket science!

• Brohoof 2

I am going to L. C. Bird governors school for engineering. I just got back from a 4 day long engineering camp at UVA. It was fun but my roommate wasn't very nice.

What year may I ask? 

I myself am not sure what field of engineering I am going to pursue yet, I am torn between aeronautical and mechanical.Perhaps even computer engineering....

Edited by armyassassin96
  • Brohoof 1

That's a really striking coincidence. I'm actually from Texas. Considered UT myself, but didn't want to stay in state. Something about wanting to see more of the world; I'm sure you understand! ;)

Also, I too would love to fly. I worked at an airport over the summer, and just being around all the aircraft was amazing.

I myself am not sure what field of engineering I am going to pursue yet, I am torn between aeronautical and mechanical.Perhaps even computer engineering....

Come to aeronautical, we have... uh... airfoils! But seriously, aeronautical engineering is awesome. I've taken Aeromechanics I and am currently in Aeromechanics II and Intro to Aerospace Design. To be fair those are pretty basic as far as aeronautical engingeering goes, BUT if you have any questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them! Or just tell you what I know about AAE in general! Best of luck! ^_^

• Brohoof 1

That's a really striking coincidence. I'm actually from Texas. Considered UT myself, but didn't want to stay in state. Something about wanting to see more of the world; I'm sure you understand! ;)

Also, I too would love to fly. I worked at an airport over the summer, and just being around all the aircraft was amazing.

Hahah, I know what you mean. I actually did some "world seeing" this summer lol.

What exactly did you do at the airport and how was it related to aeronautics? Was it an internship or something?

• Brohoof 1

What exactly did you do at the airport and how was it related to aeronautics? Was it an internship or something?

Oh, it was most emphatically unrelated to aeronautics. Unless you consider receiveing design requests from fellow line service workers for more easily serviceable fuel tanks "related."

Really though, I took the job because it was decent pay, they would hire me for the summer, and I had a connection there. I basically refueled jets, props, and turboprops, performed lav servicing (oh so pleasant), parked customer cars, and brought out CIP (coffee, ice, papers) to every pilot in the metroplex (maybe an exaggeration). It was a business airport, so we had private traffic as well as customers for our charter fleet.

• Brohoof 1