Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people hate Gilda so much?

Winona the Dog

Gilda is a bully character created merely to be just that, a bully. She doesn't even get the slightest bit of a redemption at the end of the episode, she just remains her old self. So I really think you're thinking too much into it.

But fine, I'll think beyond the way she is made as a character in the show... The thing is, the way I saw it was not that Gilda even really necessarily needed alone time with Rainbow Dash. It was the fact that Pinkie Pie wasn't the kind of company that Gilda wanted. Remember she wasn't "cool" enough for Gilda. So, in reality, Gilda was just being a jerk.

The other characters which you named as more likable to the community are a bit different... Many of them showed that they're not always terrible people...er...ponies, they just get overwhelmed in bad personality traits, while others, like the Flim Flam brothers were amusing in their presentation and representation of other forms of media. (in fact I don't see any reason to really hate the Flim Flam brothers at all. Guess I missed the point of that episode. xD)

• Brohoof 1

Because, despite having all these villains, they have implied depth or not really "villains".

Flim Flam Brothers really didn't lie when they said about their machine, they were just really prideful and greedy. If the money was at a fair amount, they would have easily been sold. If they weren't afraid of losing despite the fact they would have won ANYWAY, they would have still had the better product. It was a result of greed and fear that they were deemed bad. It was also the fact they didn't seem to care about the Apples, but they weren't exactly lying.

Trixie had lots of depth and the fandom loved her for it. She wasn't just some villain cut out, she really was done well. 

Diamond Tiara even has depth, making it so that we don't just "hate" her. 

There are reasons why people don't like her and reasons why they like the other villains more: We get to see depth within these characters. There wasn't much depth within Gilda other then the fact that she was extremely fake and the question pops: Why was she acting like that if she really isn't? Maybe she's not that mean as we thought, maybe she gets this persona as a way to stop bullying or others attacking her, like Babs had.

I can see why Gilda was really mean about the party and other portions, but she still had no right to do what she had done. Pinkie Pie was just as bad and has gotten worse. (Cranky.)

If it wasn't for the scene where Gilda made Fluttershy cry, i'm pretty sure she wouldn't have as much hate as she does now. I do agree though that there are more annoying characters in the show than Gilda. I don't really have anything against her; in my opinion her personality is more interesting than other characters in the show (King Sombra, Flim & Flam, etc).

Seems like you aren't able to understand a sensitive heart and the way it works.

A sensitive person/pony feels everything in a deeper way, good things aswell as the bad ones. So, they have a better comprehension of life, but at the same time they get hurt much more often due to this sensitivity.

Any feeling inside a sensitive person is many times stronger than in a normal one. While they feel everything in a better way, they also get hurt much more easily.

Not sure if this was aimed at me or not...

If so than, no, I understand exactly how a sensitive heart works, I had one, in fact I was pretty much a Fluttershy until around 8th or 9th grade. Then I just got tired of being pushed around and started standing up for myself and my beliefs. (No, I didn't become a 'Flutterbitch,' I turned into a slightly less hardcore Twilight, with a little Dash) My "unpopular opinion" comes from the fact that I believe everyone controls their own fate, so if someone chooses to not do anything about their situation than it's their own fault. (Please don't think I am justifying people who are jerks, I've always (since 8th or 9th grade) stood up to bullies whether they bully me, my friends, or just some kid in the hallway and will continue to stand up for what is right, however if someone just constantly lets others fight battles for them than that's taking advantage of others, which is wrong, so they don't really need standing up for.)

Apologies for my english.

Apologies for what? Your English is excellent!

I don't like that. I really wish we could have seen what happened to Gilda afterwards, as we do see her saying to Rainbow Dash "If you want to stop being lame, come see me again." I don't think that's her way of saying "If you want to choose your friends over me", I think it's Gilda actually telling RD to come after her.

Just like RD, I think Gilda is extremely insecure deep down. I kinda want to give her a hug.

^^^ This. So much This. ^^^

If the writer's wanted to really make a heart touching episode they could pursue Gilda's insecurity and attitude, in fact, play it along that  RD and Gilda were best friends because they made each other feel good; together they were a safe haven from their own insecurities. With the skill level of the MLP writers, I guarantee that would be a seriously deep rooted tear jerker to the older audience, while remaining a simple, friend redemption episode to the younger audience. (Similar to Trixie's redemption)

Edited by Slaigh
  • Brohoof 1

She was a bully, no one likes a bully, those characters you named all had good traits, when we saw Gilda she only had the fact she was friends with rainbow dash as a good trait, and by the end she is not even friends with her. She got worse as the episode progressed. i thought they could have made her a likable character if they did another episode on her.

i dont like her because she was absurdly rude to fluttershy, my fav mane 6. who in the right mind would ever yell at her and not apologize?

Unfortunately, this is something every person does almost every day. We yell at people, and usually we don't apologize. Like I said, making Fluttershy cry for no reason was just a cheap, quick way to get people to dislike her, and it worked like a charm. xD 

I will agree with Squishy on one thing, however, her voice is kind of annoying. But it balanced out with Dashie's fairly well, I thought. ^^

I read your description, and I can kinda see your point, but it wasn't just about Gilda trying to catch up with RD. If you remember the episode correctly, she doesn't just limit her attitude to Pinky, it was directed at everyone-as shown when Pinky was told to get over her 'jealousy'. Sure, she might have a good excuse to blow a fuse in the prank pulling at the end, but when walking down the street, you don't have any reason to steal, tease or bully anybody. The fact everyone hates her is because she is a spiteful griffin. Which is a pity, as I like griffins as a general rule, but Gilda is the exception.  

I actually don't hat her, it is just they way the show made her out to be. The show made her to be someone who thinks she is better then everyone else and that everyone should bend to her will. I think that is where all the hate is coming from but that is just my personal view on it others may have different takes on it.

Eh, I don't really hate Gilda. She's a bitch, but a cool bitch like Trixie and Angel. She was a pretty fun antagonist, and honestly, I'm more angry at the people who say that Fluttershy deserves to suffer for being a wimp. I mean, what kind of horrible attitude is that?

Plus, I have a thing for butch women with badass assertive personalities. Just replace her jerkass attitude with some kindness and I'll fall madly in love with her.

379755__safe_solo_humanized_gilda_artist

hot.gif

• Brohoof 2

Why some poeple like Gilda is just because they think there's another, kind side of her.

However this was never shown throughout her whole appereance in the show.

The only part that was shown was nothing but this mean, bitchy girl who's been rather obsessive over Rainbow Dash. 

If the episode's resolution wouldn't be about Rainbow, but Gilda, acknowledging her mistakes. the tables would've turned pretty quickly about the whole hatred. But that was never shown. She just stubbornly flies off. 

• Brohoof 1

I think it's really hypocritical to hate Gilda so much just because she was a "meany" meanwhile people love Discord but he quite literally ruined the world: He sent Twilight into a depression, reversed the entire Mane 6 and made chaos reign. The worst Gilda haters though are the ones that see her making Fluttershy cry as the ultimate offense.

I'm a fan of her because I think the reasons the she's hated are very short sighted.

I actually really, really, really like Gilda. I have a major soft spot for her after seeing this comic, by Joey Darkmeat:

img-1717962-1-a_real_party_of_one_by_joe

That...is so depressing.

Edit: I think I may need to explain myself a little better, seeing some of the comments in this thread. (Note to self: read thread before posting, saves time + effort.)

Normally I don't like characters like Gilda, because I know too many people like her. I know a lot of people like RD and Prince Blueblood, which is why I have very low tolerance for people like that. But for some reason, Gilda strikes a chord with me because we obviously see she wants to spend time with Dash. It's clear the two of them have not spent a lot of time together for a while, but they were - and up until the point in the episode - best friends. 

I partly agree with @Slaigh, as I don't think Gilda would have reduced anybody else to tears except Fluttershy. And it was very obvious, at least to me, that making Fluttershy cry was a quick way to get the audience to dislike her. Since you could argue Pinkie Pie was also in the wrong, having Gilda do other bad things (like steal an apple, roar at Fluttershy, etc.,) were all ways to build her up quickly as an antagonist.

I don't like that. I really wish we could have seen what happened to Gilda afterwards, as we do see her saying to Rainbow Dash "If you want to stop being lame, come see me again." I don't think that's her way of saying "If you want to choose your friends over me", I think it's Gilda actually telling RD to come after her.

Just like RD, I think Gilda is extremely insecure deep down. I kinda want to give her a hug.

Oh yeah and this too, people complain that MDW is OOC. Look at this, Dash is the element of loyalty but she just abandoned someone who's been her friend for a really long time. Where's the fairness in that? And judging by Gilda's personality, there's no way she has that many friends.

Edited by Mzukiller
  • Brohoof 1

Hmm maybebecause Gilda is a self-centered bully? Maybe that subconciously taps into our inner hatred and elementary school scars of being bullied at some point as well as former bullies who are now all mature and grownup and hate that they bullied people back then.

I'm guessing she was supposed to be hated in general to create an antagonist.

Every fluttershy fan hates her, as well as most bronies.

If she ever comes back, hopefully she'll be like trixie, in terms of others having a different opinion towards her.

• Brohoof 1

"She has amger issues" -- you see, I have a problem with this being a defense of her. Because I don't get along with ANYONE who has anger issues that they don't bother to keep in check. Gilda seems to PRIDE herself on her disrespect. Therein lies the problem. She did make Fluttershy cry, but it wasn't just that she made Fluttershy cry. It's that she made someone who dodn't really do anything wrong cry and felt no remorse for the situation.

My FAVORITE character made Fluttershy cry in Ponyville Confidential. The difference? Regret. The crusaders are seriously upset with what they've done. They try to make amends. Rainbow Dash calls Gilda out on her actions and she blames Rainbow Dash and her friends. The problem comes with her responsibility versus her acceptance OF said responsibility.

A punk is fine. A proud punk who doesn't care that they're disrespectful, and in fact seem to enjoy giving disrespect. There's a problem with that mindset.

• Brohoof 1

SHE MADE FLUTTERSHY CRY.

NO PONY MAKES FLUTTERSHY CRY.

In all honesty, I liked her as an antagonist. I didn't really like her vocabulary, but it is technically a kids show, so what can one expect? I just wish they used diffrent words. It felt redundant, her saying "Dweebs" over and over.

• Brohoof 1

Well the entire episode we saw her just shooing away other ponies rather than to see any of her good side (like you said). I can't say I hate her since I don't know her motives for why she acted extremely to others (why would she get upset with Fluttershy for lightly bumping with her?). Still, I'm sure one episode with her returning could gain her some redemption like Discord and Trixie did.

Edited by Wingin'Wolf

I hope for a flashback episode of how Rainbow Dash had met with Gilda back in the Junior Flight School. Looking back at that none of the friends of Rainbow Dash knew Gilda before Griffon the Brush-off.

Edited by Ulrik Raben

Sigh...looks like I get to be the bad pony..again. Gilda,Gilda...oh my dear Gilda. Are you rude,cruel,...broken? YEs, yes you are. Did daddy wing whap you one to many times? Did Dash never really catch on to your advances? Is PInkie just really annoying, like baby in the movie theater bad? Did I miss any fiction reasons? The truth is Gilda you are the female every single one of us has met before. We hate you, envy you and deep down want to help you. We blame you for trying to be cool. BUt the truth is..it is we who are trying to be cool, by hating you. We understand you..and that kills us..that is what we hate,not you...because at one time, we were you to someone else.I love you Gilda you let me stop forgetting my own flaws.

Argue that forum...I dare you to denie it.

Edited by applejock
  • Brohoof 3

SHE MADE FLUTTERHY CRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
But seriously, apart from that, she is too rough suppress all
Pinkie's sincere attempts to spend time with fun. And her image is more masculine than Rainbow Dash, both external and internal. Not the best set of qualities to like during the first meeting, huh.

I would really love to see Rainbow Dash search out Gilda in an upcoming episode. It could start out with RD bemoaning she has a lack of buddies to fly with, because Twilight is always busy with her royal duties, and Fluttershy isn't exactly the kind to go flying together. She brings this up with Pinkie, who remarks that she used to have Gilda, which triggers a mini-flashback of the two of them being friends at Jr. Speedster's Camp. 

It could be a really great friendship story between Rainbow Dash and Pinkie as they go try to find Gilda. :3

• Brohoof 3

Sigh...looks like I get to be the bad pony..again. Gilda,Gilda...oh my dear Gilda. Are you rude,cruel,...broken? YEs, yes you are. Did daddy wing whap you one to many times? Did Dash never really catch on to your advances? Is PInkie just really annoying, like baby in the movie theater bad? Did I miss any fiction reasons? The truth is Gilda you are the female every single one of us has met before. We hate you, envy you and deep down want to help you. We blame you for trying to be cool. BUt the truth is..it is we who are trying to be cool, by hating you. We understand you..and that kills us..that is what we hate,not you...because at one time, we were you to someone else.I love you Gilda you let me stop forgetting my own flaws.

Argue that forum...I dare you to denie it.

/thread

She's the kind of jerk you can't help but feel sympathy for. Her attitude comes from insecurities and self-esteem issues.

And now, for no reason in particular, another humanized Gilda pic:

79245__safe_humanized_gilda_artist-colon