Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people hate Gilda so much?

Winona the Dog

For me, Gilda was ok at first. Annoying due to her bully nature, but bareable. When she made Fluttershy cry, however, things got a little different. NOPONY HURTS FLUTTERSHY! :angry:

I guess her character is just made to be so that she was hated, as the episode had a "dealing with bullies" feel about it.

First off, Gilda only appears once in the whole show. Second, she has pegged her reputation as a bully. Like DJ said, NOBODY HURTS FWUTTASHY!!!  :angry:

Edited by Sterling Crimson

A. Her pranks were FAR too malicious, even by Discord's standards (and even HE tried to lighten things up, chaos or otherwise).

B. She lashed out with Disproportionate Retribution for even the tiniest of slights.

C. She ultimately abandoned her long-time friend for supporting "dweebs."

How come when people hate on gilda They only mention the fact that she made Fluttershy cry. while She did stuff worst.

She scared off Granny Smith with her tail and stole her apples and assualted Pinkie Pie in a manner which could have killed The pink mare.

Making Fluttershy cry is not really evil since she crie many times in the show. Assualted old people and nearly killing someone on the other hand is a criminal act.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, people seem to forget that she nearly killed Pinkie Pie, but no...Fluttershy is more important because she's cuter and more innocent, even though she cries all the time.

Edited by WheatleyCore
  • Brohoof 3

Gilda definitely did more heinous actions than making Fluttershy crying since, she cries all of the time. People should really focus on something more heinous, Fluttershy crying doesn't count.

Hi there, @. Since your thread was pretty much dealing with the same stuff as this other thread, I decided to merge them. Just an FYI, have fun discussing Gilda!

Errrr no matter which way you look at it Gilda isn't a nice character.

She always puts being cool ahead of everything.

She is aggressive.

I'll admit she can get a bit annoyed by visiting like Twilight did but there was no reason for her to be a complete b****h about it.

Because she made Flutterwaifu cry. No seriously that's usually the only reason people give me

Sure she scared Granny Smith, but is scaring people really something worth getting upset over?

Sure, she tried to hurt/kill Pinkie Pie, I honestly don't count that because cartoon/Pinkie physics. Pretty shitty reason, but w/e

So the only thing I can really have against her is stealing an apple. Ooooh she's an awful moster, how terrifying. For the record, I don't condone stealing, but it's not like she was kidnapping or robbing a bank and held ponies hostage or anything. 

Basically she's just a bully, but unlike other bullies in the show, I'd actually want to see her again. Considering how possesive she was over Rainbow Dash during most of the episode, it'd be kinda interesting to see how their friendship was like when they were youngsters, and to see if she possibly still holds those same feelings even now. Plus she has an awesome design and I'd love to see more griffins in general

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 1

To be fair, it's understandable that people will despise her for the traits shown in her first appearance, HOWEVER...

Now that we've got that basis planted, think of the possibilities that can now grow from this back-story. We have a griffin who enjoyed Rainbow Dash's company a great deal and has just lost that friend in a very public manner.

(Contains references to Turnabout Storm.)

There could be a situation which causes her to take revenge on Rainbow Dash for ditching her, just like her role in Turnabout Storm.

But in the end comes to realize that what she did was wrong and it wasn't the best way to try and regain her best friend.

• Brohoof 2

I'm sorry but if you really think about it, anger issues still didn't give her the right to yell at Fluttershy... There was a simple way to avoid that completely: WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING! Fluttershy had to watch the animals, she couldn't pay attention to where she was going, now Gilda on the other hand had no excuse, she just didn't pay attention, so if anything it's more of her fault than Fluttershy's...

• Brohoof 1

I don't like Gilda very much, but I agree that there are too many double standards. I mean, some fans say that she was worse than Discord and Chrysalis for cryin out loud!

Personally I think Gilda would have been a great character, acting much like Rainbow Dash (Who is quite popular), but she just had anger issues which made her different from Dash. Personally I agree that Pinkie was being selfish, but not a bit selfish, straight-out selfish. She was very wrong to do that, and actually now that I have been informed about this and really paying attention to Pinkie's characteristics I kinda... don't take a liking to her as much as the others.

But back on the topic about Gilda. She, like I said before, would have been a great character, yet Pinkie got her blood to boil, and she eventually took it out on almost everypony she was around. Dash was very rude at the end to me, because instead of asking why her friend had yelled at Pinkie and why she had acted like this, she just told her to leave and find a new friends. Yeah, Gilda was self-centered, but Dash can be like her a times as well.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I see Gilda as artificial, which many people in real life actually are.

I saw this said better elsewhere but consider for a moment, Gilda cares about being cool (appearing cool) much more the Rainbow Dash ever did. This means she avoids all appearances of not being in control, which I feel is part of the reason she got so mad at Pinkie Pie. This pink pony was getting in the way, and no matter what she did the blasted pony was able to follow. Gilda couldn't keep up her self assured image around the pony.

Then, like many delinquents, she felt the need to be above the rules which would mean stealing is 'no big deal'. Also, like so many, she felt the need to push others around. She was a bully, there is no two ways about it, scaring little old ladies and pushing others out of the way. Yet she did it because it made her feel cool.

Perhaps in time she can learn to be more true to herself, realize she doesn't have to 'act cool' and realizing that she can't have Rainbow Dash all to herself. Rainbow Dash made her choice, now the question is will Gilda be able to come back and admit she was wrong, allow herself consider that more then one pony can be 'cool enough' to hang out with her.

Edited by EquestrianScholar

The pegusi that made fun of Fluttershy were only in a flashback.  Gilda was in an entire episode.  And throughout that entire episode she was a complete bitch.  She has no redeeming qualities.

People watching the show happened to hate a character they were supposed to hate.  Why is that surprising?

• Brohoof 2

You're meant to dislike her. The show, especially season 1, was aimed at young children, and therefore the antagonists were meant to be...antagonistic, not up for speculation and investigation. All in all, I think it's easy to villify Gilda, but compared to the others, all she did was be mean and shout at people. But in how mabty games and movies do we adore characters like that?

Lightning in FFXII, Tony Montana in Scarface...

I dislike Gilda's actions, but I kinda like the few insights into her better self. RD was her best friend when they were young...surely that counts for something? RD just learned to love the other ponies, while GIlda remained shunned and different to the rest.

I can understand her.

Besides...dat hairfeather coif :3

Edited by Haze23

Probably because...well...she is a jerk. Her behavior was in almost every instance unacceptable. She never simply tells Pinkie she wants alone time with Rainbow Dash. Her first extended statement at Pinkie was an insult followed by knocking her out of the sky. We then see her scare an elderly pony with glee and steal from an apple vendor. All this was followed by her over reacting and bullying Fluttershy. When confronted about her behavior by Rainbow Dash she reverses the blame and takes off. In the end it seems she cares more about her cool image then her friends. When it comes down to it as of now it was made apparent that Gilda was not a good friend or even a good person. 

If she returns and develops as a character then that would be cool, but until then it shouldnt be surprising that people dislike Gilda.. 

You're meant to dislike her. The show, especially season 1, was aimed at young children, and therefore the antagonists were meant to be...antagonistic, not up for speculation and investigation. All in all, I think it's easy to villify Gilda, but compared to the others, all she did was be mean and shout at people. But in how mabty games and movies do we adore characters like that?

Lightning in FFXII, Tony Montana in Scarface...

I dislike Gilda's actions, but I kinda like the few insights into her better self. RD was her best friend when they were young...surely that counts for something? RD just learned to love the other ponies, while GIlda remained shunned and different to the rest.

I can understand her.

Besides...dat hairfeather coif :3

I don't buy the whole "well i'm not suppose to like her." argument as a pass.

Hell that would give Andy Dick, Jim Carrey, and Tom Green a free pass to be annoying, because hay after all "that's what we're trying to do."

I've seen the reviewer the voice of reason predict we'll get her back in the next season as a grudge match of sorts with rain bow dash.

I like that idea.  than again i saw a fan episode with her on screen for an extended amount of time.

• Brohoof 1

Because she was acting like a real bitch in her first appearance in the show and I found her the worst antagonist (if that's what i'll call her) ever. Hope she returns in Season 4 with a good behavior. 

Well for one Gilda made Fluttershy cry in an extremely mean fashion. Also she was just acting like a jerk to Pinkie the whole episode. I do find it funny to look up a 5 second clip of that scene where fluttershy is crying and look at the comments to see death threats towards Gilda.