Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people hate Gilda so much?

Winona the Dog

• 11 months later...

I hate Gilda because she was an asshole throughout the entire episode. She treated Pinkie Pie like she was something you might step in, yelled at poor Fluttershy, and couldn't handle a few pranks.

• Brohoof 2

I don't hate her character, but I'm not eagerly awaiting her return either. She just wasn't that interesting. She showed up, she acted like a jerk, exit stage left. Being a jerk was pretty much her only defining trait.

At least Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon actually get some funny lines.

The general consensus is "SHE MADE FLUTTERSHY CRY" but that's just a silly reason to hate her, in my opinion. Fluttershy isn't exactly a pillar of emotional strength and it probably isn't too hard. She did a lot of bad things in that episode, and to single out that single incident is a bit silly.

I don't like her because her lines were annoying as piss and stupidly outdated. "MAKE LIKE A BEE AND BUZZ OFF!"

is that supposed to hurt people's feelings

halp

Her insults were so cheesy that it made me blush, and not in a good way. Plus, she wasn't exactly friendly and accepting, but her lines were just so annoying on top of her treatment of other that it's hard for me not to like her.

• Brohoof 3

Gilda was an absolute boss and should return for another episode.

Outside of that, she's disliked for the same reasons some Bronies hate the other antagonistic characters, and that's that Gilda is just in general a negative person. She doesn't like dweebs, and Pinkie is obviously not very cool to Gilda. Gilda is also a thief and very aggressive. Yes, Pinkie might not have come on so strong when she first met Pinkie, but it was obvious from the beginning that Gilda didn't even want to give Pinkie a chance and preferred to run away instead of just telling Pinkie that she wanted to spend time with Rainbow Dash alone.

As I mentioned before, Gilda also showed she doesn't care about stealing, giving ponies heart attacks over fake snake attacks, nor does she care very much for manners. Gilda isn't a pure evil character or anything, she's just a jerk in general, kind of like the bullies that Rainbow Dash met back up with when she went to go perform the Sonic Rainboom for the Best Young Flier competition.

All in all, some Bronies just hate her because she's a jerk, she did bad things to ponies that they like, such as Pinkie and Fluttershy, and she was rude and didn't give ponies a chance.

Granted, I like Gilda because I have a thing for antagonist and jerkish characters and I like seeing them return because I love conflict and seeing these types of characters interact with others, but that doesn't mean I excuse her bad actions or faults.

• Brohoof 2

The hate for Gilda lays in several colors.

1. Making Fluttershy cry. As we unfortunately found out later on in the series, people get very defensive for her sake.

2. She has no positive traits to her character. She's a straight up jerk with possessive and anger issues.

3. Her cheesy dialogue in the episode was Philly cheese steak kind.

Personally, I actually disliked Pinkie Pie more than Gilda in that episode.

Edited by Nuke87654
  • Brohoof 1

• 5 years later...

Because she is evil. She was made to be evil, and she left the episode still being evil. That's why you hate her so much. She is not a bad person, just difficult. :worry:

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus Christ this topic is so old lol

In all seriousness she got waifu’d pretty good since her return and I really wish they gave her more chances to return rather than tease us by mentioning her regularly then doing nothing, though that’s a a reoccurring trend for anything that actually sounded like a good idea 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't know that was a thing. I love gilda. I thought the whole point of her character was she was rude and that as a griffin. I mean I guess it was meant to make u feel like ugh so mean but like meh. Later she came back and was nicer. I think she brought a nice change to the show lol and seeing her design wow so cool.

• Brohoof 1

I love Gilda! I didn't like her as much when I first got into the series but she kinda grew on me over time, especially after The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone. In fact she's my favorite non-pony character.

340?cb=20150619212735

• Brohoof 3

I must admit that I've never watched her first episode so I never saw why everyone hated her so much. She was actually quite good in the Lost Treasures episode, so I actually like her a bit

• Brohoof 1

56 minutes ago, Princess of Luck 🍀🔥 said:

I must admit that I've never watched her first episode so I never saw why everyone hated her so much. She was actually quite good in the Lost Treasures episode, so I actually like her a bit

For some reason I just feel like "The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone" was just there to redeem Gilda. And it looked like she was already redeemed in the first place, making it quite lazy of an episode.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the minority I can tell ... I think Gilda was done wrong in the episode! She started out 100% in the right; she wanted some quality time with Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie needlessly kept trying to intrude on their time, up to and including physically intruding in a way that shouldn't have been possible for her as an Earth Pony. When she suddenly turned into a thief, and that moment with Fluttershy, I half-expected someone to pop up and show it was a set-up of some kind. The party at the end was another set-up, blatantly so.

The show went out of it's way to demonise her just because she didn't want Pinkie around in her personal time with an old friend, and for some reason that's supposed to be her fault? No, I would be super annoyed if the annoying friend of my friend kept butting in on our time when I hadn't seen her for a while!

Also, Dash, you ARE GILDA in this season, don't pretend otherwise. If Gilda didn't have exclusive rights to the word 'dweeb' and 'lame' was allowed, you'd be exactly the same as her, and you haven't had any growth yet.

On 6/9/2020 at 2:28 PM, Lucky Bolt said:

I love Gilda! I didn't like her as much when I first got into the series but she kinda grew on me over time, especially after The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone. In fact she's my favorite non-pony character.

340?cb=20150619212735

She looks like a bully, even when she's waving her hand thingy (wow, I am horrible)

• 1 month later...

I adore Gilda. I might even have a crush on her. But not only would I not begrudge someone hating her; You're supposed to hate her.

Somebeing who yells right off the bat, reflexively? Somebeing who tosses words like "Dork", "Dweeb" & other insults like its their catchphrase? Gosh, why would anybeing have emotional baggage tied to that sort of person, especially at a young, school-going age?

Simple enough put, she's an antagonist. Long answer, MLP is some stellar writing and they know they have to be. The main theme is friendship, so both parties not only have to have an issue, but be fundementally wrong. You know how hard it is to see media portrayal of every being involved being faulty, wrong and that everybeing involved either needs to learn the lesson or maybe no one really does learn, just figures out what to catch before things get out of hoof?

On 8/4/2013 at 10:30 AM, Winona the Dog said:

It's common courtesy, in my opinion Pinkie seems just the tiniest bit selfish; she can hang out with Dash whenever, they live in the same town.

I think Gilda is wrong for getting as angry as she did, but it's understandable that she would be upset.

As far as the pranks go and especially if you think it's from Pinkie Pie, I'm sure that would tick off just about anyone. 

Yes, but Pinkie Pie is both jealous and scared. She doesn't know this new being. She doesn't know why there's this sudden social change when they've had steady, reliable access to each other before. You can't blame her for wanting to know what's up. We've seen Party of One prove that the moment she can't get to a friend, Pinkie collapses and assumes the worst. That she's done something to push others away. And that's super realistic.

Take it from somebeing who can be a bit... Clingy too.

Gilda HAD to get mad. She needed to. We can hear her casually fling off insults and dismissive, backclawed comments. Getting angry at things is how Gilda responds to things. It's very likely Dash not only knows that, but loves(-ed) her because of it. Later, we learn that she comes from a rather hard and angry place. She's defensive to the point of being offensive. She needed to be, and has to be.

Take it from somebeing who can be a bit... Tempermental too.

And that's the sticking point. Gilda is out of her comfort zone here. She doesn't know Ponyville. She doesn't know them pranks are a common thing that only has happiness behind its intent. She sees others laughing. That's never been a good thing for her. She sees someone being loud back, that means she has to, too. The characters, as they are, could never have reacted differently in this situation. And that's how Social Interaction, culture, works. When things blow up, maybe it would have happened either way. No party was wrong, and yet they were all wrong and it wouldn't have gone any other way. Sometimes, in life, we just have to adapt & grow; take from our experiences what we can while leaving behind our worries about it.

Take it from somebeing who's always out of place.

Oh, and yeah. It's arbitrary to cry havoc over Fluttershy being made to cry. That's kind of her thing, especially at this time of the storyline. It would be like complaining about a bunny hopping. It was inevitable she was going to bump a bully and get yelled at. I'm sure she gets elbowed in crowds frequently and busts into tears.

... I know I do. Take it from someone who's just as extremely thin-skinned.

That's what makes this show so great. It's basically Social Training. Maybe people are bad to you, but maybe they have a reason to. It doesn't make you a bad person for hating them, or them for doing stuff that makes them a jerk. Life runs on acceptance. 

...Sigh, that's the trouble with being an emotional wreck. You relate so very hard to so very many things. It's probably why they wrote the show like they did.