Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Born to late

Thou

*sigh* I was born to late for my liking. I consider myself quite on the intellectual side of things and my hobbies and tastes are a lot more refined than most of my age. I desperately would want to go to a Brony Convention but the distance to travel is to great for me to go alone and my dad works a full time job which really doesn't stop (self-employed). If I was born maybe a few years earlier I would be MUCH happier. Most people complain about wanting to grow up so they can drive and all that neat shizzle. I just want to grow up before the fandom starts the un-avoidable decline. Yes the fandom will go on after the sad day when the last episodes airs, but will brony conventions still go on after? The earliest date I could go to a convention is 2-3 years from now and I'm worried that I'll never be able to experience a convention :(

Well that sucks. Unfortunately there's not much to do considering what you stated above. I think that if you could make it past a few years and still cling onto your Bronyhood then you could take yourself there. If you have any older friends that would be happy to take you and your dad is okay with it then maybe that's an option as well.

• Brohoof 1

This fandom is one of the most companionship-based and fervent of just about any fandom on the planet. Of course conventions will continue after the show finishes airing; it maintains that unity that everyone loves to go to cons for. There's also an absolute ton of fan content that enriches conventions annually. I wouldn't worry at all about missing conventions, they're bound to have a long life.

I noticed you live in Scotland. Have you checked out UKofEquestria.com? It's a forum that arranges meetups across the UK; if there's one particularly close to you that doesn't necessitate a long drive, you might be able to go to one. How old are you, by the way?

Not really much we can do :x!

I think that bronys will be around for a good while yet, even if the show was only 4 seasons :)! It's not unreasonable to think of 6 possible seasons for FiM, and thats would be 2-3 years from now so you never know, you might get the conventions at there peak :D!

• Brohoof 2

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm 13 and live on an Island just off mainland Scotland. So any meetups will be travel from a place called " Ullapool" + 2 hours and 45 minutes ferry time :P I'll check out that website and see if there is one at the capital of the highlands. :D

Dude, enjoy your youth. Life isn't all about ponies and cons. Once you're out there in the real world, you're gonna wish you were back to the days when life was simple. Just from many other peoples experience with growing up including myself.

Anyway, this fandom is growing as we speak, and I don't think It will be completely gone within the next 3 years or so but who knows. Might even last longer than 3 years. That being said, you will be older by then and things should get easier for you to go to cons and such. Just be patient bro. :)

Well I check up on the website and registered and checked the map. That little red dot you see if roughly where I live. Apparently there are no brony conventions anywhere near the Highlands and Islands. ;l 

4vdND.jpg

that's an interesting question, how long will the conventions continues after the show dies.  the more i think about it the more i think even if they stoped mlp with the main six they'd just put out another series I would think.

I mean this is what generation 4?  They've certainly done it before.

You will be old before you know it.

It does get better when you are older, by the way, so in no way would I ever say anything like, "Enjoy the time you have before you have to start being responsible and paying bills and shit" because being a kid sucks. I know. I am 24 and my life is way better now than it was when I was 13 despite needing to pay bills and go to work. I have a little bit of control over the things that I want to do, like conventions (which I never would have been allowed to do while under my parents' authority) and other ways to spend money.

At the same time, try to be happy with where you are... there is always something about your life as it is that could be better, so you have to learn how to find a balance between contentment/realistic expectations of life and a desire to move forward. That is a challenge that you will face for the rest of your life.

As an added bonus, conventions are not going away anytime soon. The fact that Bronycon this year had more than 8000 attendees (double from 2012... it makes it one of the fastest-growing conventions in the world) pretty much proves that.

I feel your pain. I'm far too young to go to any conventions, or meet any bronies IRL. I really would like to, but I just simply can't. I don't have the money or age :V

You'd be surprised how many people are bronys and the audacity some people have to say our fandom is dying. I became a brony because Half of my best friends were closet bronies and I walked in on them watching the "too many pinkie pies" episode. Been here ever since.

Edited by Kyo_Tozunada

@@FNGRpony, Conventions will exist loooooong after the show dies, which to be honest the show is currently such a cash cow I'm pretty sure that Hasbro will extend the contract and request more seasons after season 4. The reason why I say the conventions will still be around is because from my experience at Bronycon most panels and things to do actually had little to no affiliation with the show directly and was much more Bronydom oriented which if the Star Wars fandom is anything probably won't die when the movies stop coming out (okay yeah sure they did have did have comic books and games of Star Wars but most fans I've talked to have been doing fanart waaaay before they bothered checking those out)

Well there isn't anyway to fix it so why think about it. I think "jee I wish I was 16 so i can get my driver's license" but it doesn't get me anywhere so I just try and live with whatever I've got.

As for the fandom's "unavoidable decline", the last Star Trek series is over but there are still dozens of Star Trek conventions. Star Wars may have been crap after the prequels but Star Wars conventions still happen. 

And FiM certainly won't be the end of MLP. Considering how long an animated series can run (since you don't have to worry about the ages of the actors as much, and other reasons) like the Simpsons, FiM still has at least 8 Seasons to go in my eyes. And when FiM is done another MLP TV show will be created.

that's an interesting question, how long will the conventions continues after the show dies....

I believe there are two possible answers to this question.

1. Even when the fandom "cools down" and cons become greatly less popular, the existing cons will just piggyback off of larger, more popular cons, become an individual section of already-massive conventions like Comic Con and such. That would keep the show alive for a long time by itself, considering that even when it is out of production, the old-school and die-hard fans will convert a few people here and there to the cause, thus replacing those who leave over time. While the fandom would never return to its original size and height of production and admiration, it wouldn't die so immediately.

2. We get a Star Trek-type deal where the new generations are as or even more quality than the original product (or, in our case, the generation 4 that started the quality) and thus this continues interest and fan labor in a similar amount. While the fandom would expand and contract between these new generations, and eventually slowly contract due to lessening interest as other media becomes popular, it'd still maintain a large enough mass to continue to host its own cons and such.

3. Either way, cons aren't dying, and the fandom will be around as long as it needs to be. Trekkies are still going hard.

Overall, in the foreseeable future, there will be large, sizable, and quality conventions for a minimum of two years to come; one year post-season 4, and one year after that. If there's a season five, it will continue on in stride.

Either way, you still have some time to get there. I mean, I'm already an adult and I still don't have resources to go to a con, and I also don't have anyone to go with me, so it's not just the young'uns waiting around for their opportunity, lol.

tl;dr there will be cons for a while and probably for a long while, and all sorts of people want to go to them, me included

I believe there are two possible answers to this question.

1. Even when the fandom "cools down" and cons become greatly less popular, the existing cons will just piggyback off of larger, more popular cons, become an individual section of already-massive conventions like Comic Con and such. That would keep the show alive for a long time by itself, considering that even when it is out of production, the old-school and die-hard fans will convert a few people here and there to the cause, thus replacing those who leave over time. While the fandom would never return to its original size and height of production and admiration, it wouldn't die so immediately.

2. We get a Star Trek-type deal where the new generations are as or even more quality than the original product (or, in our case, the generation 4 that started the quality) and thus this continues interest and fan labor in a similar amount. While the fandom would expand and contract between these new generations, and eventually slowly contract due to lessening interest as other media becomes popular, it'd still maintain a large enough mass to continue to host its own cons and such.

3. Either way, cons aren't dying, and the fandom will be around as long as it needs to be. Trekkies are still going hard.

Overall, in the foreseeable future, there will be large, sizable, and quality conventions for a minimum of two years to come; one year post-season 4, and one year after that. If there's a season five, it will continue on in stride.

Either way, you still have some time to get there. I mean, I'm already an adult and I still don't have resources to go to a con, and I also don't have anyone to go with me, so it's not just the young'uns waiting around for their opportunity, lol.

tl;dr there will be cons for a while and probably for a long while, and all sorts of people want to go to them, me included

Really? Star Trek got better as it went along? Let's remember Voyager, Enterprise, DS9 (to some extent) and the JJ movies. Star Trek went downhill after TNG.