Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Giving the ponies ACTUAL hooves. What's your opinion on it?

Never2muchpinkie

This topic was inspired by a user named @JellyBean, who gave me permission to use her OC for this. While you may or may not find her OC as adorable as I do, you can't deny that their is a definite uniqueness in her OC by giving her actual hooves. (Granted, I don't many OC's, so I don't know if this already is a common thing) The design is a simple addition, it's not overly obtrusive. Some may feel it takes away from the cartoony feel a bit by adding in needless realism, but I like it. 

In terms of the show, Celestia and Luna and even Cadence SEEM to have hooves, but going by the flashback with filly Twilight where Cadence DOESN'T have them, we have to conclude that they're purely a fashion accessory and not real, unless Luna REALLY likes making her hooves sparkle.

JellyBean OC

jellybeanbanner.png

Edited by Never2muchpinkie
  • Brohoof 1

Well it is a cartoon after all, we don't really need realism in the hooves unless realism is needed. Not saying your wrong but, my opinion on the actual hooves subject is that if they were real horses they need real hooves sadly they aren't.

• Brohoof 1

Well it is a cartoon after all, we don't really need realism in the hooves unless realism is needed. Not saying your wrong but, my opinion on the actual hooves subject is that if they were real horses they need real hooves sadly they aren't.

I know that it's a cartoon, but just look at her. Like I said in my first post, I don't think it really stands out or takes away from the designs of the ponies we know and love.

I know that it's a cartoon, but just look at her. Like I said in my first post, I don't think it really stands out or takes away from the designs of the ponies we know and love.

I don't really care for the realism or not. It doesn't really take anything away, which is a good thing. Realism doesn't really matter in a cartoon.

• Brohoof 1

No need for ultra realism. If that were the case, we'd have to have mares with vaginas and stallions with penises :derp:

It wouldn't be very attractive in the long run. Realistic Hooves, that is...

Well it's not something that I would have really thought about, like..."Hmmm,huh.png  when I make my OC I must make sure he has hooves! I really like hooves! Hooves are cool!happy.png "... However, as you can see by my avatar, I apparently did think of it, somewhere in the back of my mind, when I was designing my OC, that he would look better with hooves. It just depends on your taste I guess.derpy_emoticon1.png

You man like Big MacIntosh has?

Big_McIntosh_onstage_ID_S2E05.png

Its hard to say. For me it doesn't really matter but they can be aesthetically more satisfying I suppose. My understanding of hooves is that all ponies and equines have hooves, the animation simply doesn't show the specific detail. You wouldn't realize that they actually have equine hooves and toes either until you realized that they can and do wear horseshoes like a real horse or pony.

Think of it like cartoon animation. Often times a lot of the smaller details, like the wrinkles, hairs and moles on a character's face. Take for example animation from a classic show Doug:

doug-funnie1-350x262.jpg

From the animation you would still assume Doug and his friend Patty (right) have fingernails, despite the fact that they aren't visible. Its more likely an animation preference. The biological features are there all the same just like with in FiM.

• Brohoof 2

I think to enjoy the show and for the show to stay true to it's intent you have to throw biology, anatomy, and physics out the window. The ponies have magical "hooves" that have nothing in common with real equines. I agree with it being art style too.

Somebody mentioned the princesses, but it's pretty clear that those are fancy horse shoes and not their actual hooves. Twilight wore them in MMC, Rarity has too and other mares.

Edited by Nature Spell

I never gave it much thought.  We know the hooves are there, but they seem to take on the same color as the pony's coat and thus the appearance of their feet and legs is homogenous.  smile.png

Edited by Wingnut

Well, to their credit, they do wear horse shoes. In fact, they do leave the markings OF the horse shoes. (Hearts and Hooves day anypony?) I think that they do have some hooves, but they aren't needed to be seen. Its like@@Cwanky mentioned. Its for animation simplicity.

Plus, at least it appears as such, I think the hooves show more like callouses instead of actual hooves.  All the ponies that do have the hooves sticking out as such tend to work harder too. Take for example, Big Mac. He mostly works, and having bigger hooves would probably suit him better then hooves that are shown like the others. The Princesses are disproportionate-bigger hooves would probably ease how they stand as well. Just think about it. Each pony with the hooves shown is much bigger then the others. 

And, like I said, they do wear horse shoes so they have to have hooves. I think its based on character as well.

• Brohoof 4

Personally, I'm more of a simplified kind of guy as I happen to enjoy the current designs of the Ponies.

It's like with the Powerpuff Girls where they don't have any visible hands.  Or with South Park where the fingers of the character's hands look like they are merged.

• Brohoof 1

I draw nearly all my ponies with actual hooves and fetlocks, as is evident by that Derpy avatar back there. That's just how I roll.
A "show-accurate" appearance doesn't really suit my personal drawing style, but that's just me.

Depends on the pony. People have different styles they prefer when it comes to fashion and not everyone can pull off the same look. Whether or not a pony should have more defined hooves would be largely dependent on their build and color scheme by my sensibilities.

If they had all had hooves from the beginning I would probably be okay with it, but if they suddenly all started having hooves in this gen I would find it distracting. I think some fan art with hooves looks nice- it depends on the skill of the artist I guess. If they ever start up a g5 with hooven ponies I would give it a chance.

It would end up bugging me way more than it probably should. Though for conceivable reasons, at least.

Something that really appeals to me about the ponies, among with other bronies, is that they're just so cuddle-able. They're complete disregard for the anatomy of actual equines really works to the ponies advantage, adding a sense of cuteness to them, because the ponies themselves look and seem very soft and fluffy. Giving them actual hooves, it would give a sense of solidity and toughness to their gentle design, which really conflicts with the point of them in the first place.

... But it works for many of the stallions, though, who ARE meant to come off as tough and solid rather than cuddly.

... But it works for many of the stallions, though, who ARE meant to come off as tough and solid rather than cuddly.

Yess, i think the same way, my OC also has those hooves but since I'm male i think it's ok. Though i wouldn't like to see all the ponies, especially the female ones, with hooves in the show, so better leave everything as it is tongue.png 

Well, in a show about talking brightly colored ponies that include pegasi and unicorns that have their talents tattooed on their rears...

I wouldn't say realism is necessary. img-2013296-1-wink.png

Maybe their reality is the real reality and they're wondering about humans who wear weird colored clothes, drive weird vehicles and sit most of the day in front of a weird thing called tv watching cartoons XDD realism is relative tongue.png