Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Fluttershy have been made a Princess Instead?

_~Soaring Heart~_

DO. NOT. READ.

Okay, here's the top 5 things I hate about Twilight, then we move on to the other ranting things:

1. Magic is not something needed in friendship. 'Oh, I'll show you my magic! Then you'll be my friend!'

2. What the buck is her talent?

A pink star. What would you think her talent was just by looking? I thought she stargazed.

3. She's the most talented with magic in Equestria? Celestia, Luna, Cadence, I am disappoint.

4. Clearly stated by the book, Fluttershy has actually had the most growth. Doesn't that mean FLUTTERSHY should've been a princess? Fellow Brony: But Twilights the main character so shes gotta be teh princess. That right there, above, is number 5.

Why I Don't Support Twilicorn:

She's never really 'saved' anypony alone. Fluttershy told off a dragon ALONE. Flutters massage-rocked a bear alone. She also took on a cockatrice alone. What exactly did Twilight do? If Twilight really was a princess, she'd need all 5 things her friends have. So, if she's got that, why do the Elements even exist, then? Hmmmm?

I do not support Twilicorn.

I support Alishy, though. (Alicorn Fluttershy.)

Have a nice day.

Edited by ~Sunset Sparkle~
  • Brohoof 2

Here is one way to end this rant: Have some valid points and move on, no offence though.

Time to add more since the thread title was updated, so I'll explain on why I think that Fluttershy should not have been made a princess instead of Twilight. Fluttershy's traits and personalities don't exactly show why she should be a princess not  because of her timid and shy nature, but because of the pressure with the addition of anxiety that she would start to develop from her overwhelming fear of the importance of fulfilling her duties.

Edited by Scootalove
  • Brohoof 8

I am saying as someone who has been one of the harshest critics of twilicorn on here, you really have to have better reasons other than "I don't like Twilight" for people to take your points seriously. I like Twilight quite a bit, but didn't really like twilicorn because I felt it was too soon and was introduced horribly in a rushed season finale that made no sense in a season that had little to do with twilicorn anyway making the whole thing a serious case of WTF. I am now neutral, but can go either way depending on how season 4 goes.

• Brohoof 10

The first thing has nothing to do with hating Twilicorn specifically, just the character as a whole, so, ignoring that.

The real Twilicorn hating part doesn't add up. All it sounds like is: "Twilight did not do this, and Fluttershy did that, so, herkablah!" More of a 'why Fluttershy is better than Twilight' thing. Twilight and Fluttershy are two different characters with different personalities and interests. Twilight being a princess matches her personality and traits A LOT more than Fluttershy.

Just give it a chance. From the looks of it, it is being handled wonderfully. :)

• Brohoof 3

1. Magic is not something needed in friendship. 'Oh, I'll show you my magic! Then you'll be my friend!'

In the episode: "Friendship is Magic Part 2," Twilight states the following:

"You see, Nightmare Moon, when those Elements are ignited by the... the spark, that resides in the heart of us all, it creates the sixth element: the element of... magic!

It's mainly referring to how all the elements (excluding Magic at the moment), when ignited, create the magic of friendship; hence the name: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. It's not really referring to spell-type magic.

2. What the buck is her talent?
A pink star. What would you think her talent was just by looking? I thought she stargazed.

Stars can be used to symbolize magic. They don't automatically mean stargazing.

3. She's the most talented with magic in Equestria? Celestia, Luna, Cadence, I am disappoint.

The show never directly states that she is the most talented with magic in Equestria. Well, at least not as fact. She has been known for being exceptionally skilled in magic, but it never says that she is the most skilled in Equestria.

4. Clearly stated by the book, Fluttershy has actually had the most growth. Doesn't that mean FLUTTERSHY should've been a princess? Fellow Brony: But Twilights the main character so shes gotta be teh princess. That right there, above, is number 5.

Fluttershy shouldn't have become the Princess because it doesn't fit with her character. Her talent deals with animals, not magic or leadership. She hasn't been taught by a Princess for the majority of her life. She never studied under the teachings of a Princess. Twilight, however, has. So, think of her becoming a Princess as her graduating from her studies. She didn't become the Princess because she was the main character. It just fits with her character.

As for your reason behind why you don't support Twilicorn; I highly disagree. You don't becoming a Princess for just saving someone. If that were the case, a good number of other characters (such as Rainbow Dash or Applejack) would deserve to become a Princess as well. Look at what Princess Celestia says in Magical Mystery Cure:

"Since you've come to Ponyville, you've displayed the charity, compassion, devotion, integrity, optimism, and of course, the leadership of a true princess."

I say give Twilicorn a chance before you make your final decision. You may end up thinking she's not as bad as you originally thought. img-2037711-1-smile.png

Edited by Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 9

Have you..... have you even watched all the episodes? Or did you forget? Twilight calmed a raging Ursa Minor that was wreaking havok in ponyville. If it wasn't for Twi, that thing could have killed quite a few ponies. (Shame she stopped it before it took out Trixie though.) AAAANYWAY. Twilight's perfectly suited to be an Alicorn, she united a group of ponies together and rediscovered, and reactivated the elements of harmony. It really isn't about just one pony, its about friendship. Or did you misread the show's title as "Friendship is Solo" Twilight spent a big chunk of her life as Princess Celestia's personal student. She is trained in magics that few other ponies could even comprehend. That is her special talent. Magic. What could you use to represent magic? Something that many people see as magical, like stars. I feel like you are bing unfair to Twilight. She is a good pony that is kind, loyal, honest, entertaining, and generous to her friends. And that is why she is important. That is why she became an Alicorn. Not only because she is the main character, but also because she learned how to represent all of the elements of harmony from her friends. She values her connection with her friends above all else, and she wouldn't trade that friendship for anything in the world. So you say that Twilight doesn't deserve to be an Alicorn, well I say she deserves it more than anypony else, because she knows what is important. And that, is being a true friend to those who need her.

Blue Moon ninja'd me. xD

Edited by The Knight Solaire
  • Brohoof 3

Everypony, PLEASE. My opinions. Do you really think Lauren Faust is going to look at this and change everything?! Seriously! "Everything is awesome the way it is." True! I'm just saying why I don't like Twilight! I could say what bugs me about Rarity... or Applejack, or Dash! But it's my opinion that changes nothing.

Have a nice, joyous night.

This should be called "Twlight rant," not "Twilicorn rant," and even then it doesn't add up. Twilight, whom I love, is an awesome character who has saved other ponies through individual action (Boast Busters and Pinkie Keen just off the top of my head). The alicorn business, which I don't love, is something else entirely.

I don't think anyone who wasn't an alicorn or princess when the show started, needs to be one now. xD

• Brohoof 1

Ahem. Everypony I expect 0 new posts from here on out. Read the post I added before. My opinion that changes absolutely bucking NOTHING. Kapeesh? Twilicorn is fine for you, but I don't like it. My opinion isn't Lauren Faust's.

Kid you don't walk into a room and yell fire unless there is one. Likewise you don't post a topic and then walk away and refuse to accept feedback on your topic. This isn't a blog. Actually you should have just made this into a blog. And what the hell does Lauren Faust have to do with this? She's not even part of the show anymore! I hope your future posts are not so one sided.

Edited by Nature's Spell
  • Brohoof 9

When did she do that exactly? She never actually used magic to forcibly make friends. This isn't Naruto where TnJ (Talk no Jutsu) is used more often than it has to be.

2. What the buck is her talent? A pink star. What would you think her talent was just by looking? I thought she stargazed.

Magic. That was established from the start. That her cutie mark most resembles the mark of the tree of harmony is meant to symbolize the fact that her talent is magic, and it's doubtful there is any further meaning than that. Twilight isn't "the chosen one" or any tired old tripe like that. Notice also how Shining Armor's cutie mark has the same star, and it's evident that he's also extremely talented altho his magic is geared more toward battle and defense, hence why his mark is offset by a shield.

Being an Alicorn doesn't automatically make them better than everyone. Twilight was the best user of magic in Equestria while being only a unicorn (until recently, but she was still the best even before becoming a princess). Rainbow Dash is the best flier in Equestria while being only a Pegasus. The Alicorn princesses have magic and flight, but that doesn't make them the absolute best at either magic or flying given that being a princess has more to do with a certain achievement of spiritual or philosophical nature as opposed to being the best at something. Else Twilight and Dash would've been princesses from the start.

4. Clearly stated by the book, Fluttershy has actually had the most growth. Doesn't that mean FLUTTERSHY should've been a princess?

Perhaps because while she's grown the most, she hasn't grown enough to merit the title. As much as she's grown, it's evident that she's unfit to rule anything unless she receives encouragement. Despite her growth, she still lacks the kind of resolve and self initiative that Twilight demonstrated countless times in the series. You can compare it to six cups. At the start of the series, Twilight's cup was around half-full, probably more empty than full, while Fluttershy was near empty. Both of their cups were filled throughout the series, with Flutter's being filled the most, but it is still not quite as full as Twilight's.

But I imagine that last bit will fly right over your head because it's obvious you made this thread to hype Fluttershy.

Edited by Freedan
  • Brohoof 3

so.. i heard you like Fluttershy eh?

well for me it is just your opinion.. i don't know why everyone keep talking about why her opinion are incorrect... i simply dislike both Twilight and Fluttershy (Pinkie forever) so i will be the third option XD no seriusly... just respect each others... i would not post my opinion because now it is just worthless.. like adding fuel on a fire... i would like just to say that most of you are somehow "attacking"her.. that's what i get from reading your posts...

Edited by Doc. Volt

Just give it a chance. From the looks of it, it is being handled wonderfully

This ^

The opening to season 4 was really really good, and I have struggled to stop myself re watching it (I have work to do).

I think in the season 4 opening, the fact that their "friends" forced her away when they where looking for the tree shows that despite there growth in character, they are still lacking and are a little bit more immature then Twilight.

Random pointer-outer: Celestia said that Twilight has the most raw power she's ever seen. Celestia and Luna's and (probably Cadence's as well) are more fine-toned and precise.

Besides, next to Discord or NMM, Twilight looks like an amateur.

• Brohoof 1

This...this is just nonsense. And I really don't mean that in a harsh way, I promise. But see, let's go over your points and I'll see if I can come up with a counterargument. I actually really love Twilight, she's the one I can relate to the most, and actually I'm very, very fond of her. So not defending her would be unthinkable, at least in my eyes.

1. Magic is something not needed in friendship 'Oh, I'll show you my magic! Then you'll be my friend!'

Magic, in this show, is almost always referred  to as "the Magic of Friendship". And think about it, it kind of makes sense--the Mane Six are six of the most diverse ponies ever born, they share almost nothing in common, they all have different careers/hobbies/interests, and yet they're better friends anyone could ever imagine. It does kind of seem like magic, when you put it like that.

2. What the buck is her talent?

I suggest going back and watching Boast Busters again. There, it's specifically stated that Twilight's talent is magic, and not the kind in the "magic of Friendship" I was talking about a moment ago. I mean spellcasting kind of magic. Her ability to learn and control magic is her talent, and when you think about it, that's a pretty awesome talent. Plenty of ponies have their cutie marks in other things, and yet are very talented at magic, but with Twilight and magic, it just goes hand in hand. In many ways, she didn't have a choice but to become Princess Celestia's student, and later, a Princess. When you see all of the backstory that her cutie mark has, it's really astonishing.

She's not more talented than the Princesses. Celestia did say upon reviewing the results of her Magic Academy test, that she has more "raw abilities" than she's ever seen. The Princesses' magic is much more refined, and look at what they control; sun, moon, and love. Those are probably the three most powerful things in Equestria! And they control them! No way is Twilight more talented than they are. She's still very young, and working on her abilities.

4. Clearly stated by the book, Fluttershy has actually had the most growth. Doesn't that mean FLUTTERSHY should've been a princess? 

What...what book? 

And yes, Fluttershy has had a lot of growth and I'm very proud of her. But if you offered her the chance to be a princess, she'd hide under a table. Her personality, her cute mark, and her backstory simply don't align for being a Princess. Twilight has been specially selected, trained personally by the Princess, technically sent to a faraway land to continue the research of the most powerful kind of magic in Equestria (the magic of Friendship), and has overcome dozens of obstacles. 

Yes, Fluttershy has grown immensely. But she would never take the throne, and she lacks the leadership and ability to take charge. I would also suggest rewatching Princess Twilight Sparkle, the Season Four opener, where it baldly states that basically the only one with any ambition of becoming a princess would be Rarity. (And that looked likely only for the fame and attention. Silly dear.) And the only one equipped to become a princess is Twilight. Looking back, three seasons have led up to this point, and while I have some major hang-ups with the rushed way in which Twilight became a princess, I'm thoroughly enjoying the idea of her being royalty. 

I'm also going to deal with the second half of your argument in two points:

She's never really 'saved' anypony alone. Fluttershy told off a dragon ALONE. Flutters massage-rocked a bear alone. She also took on a cockatrice alone. What exactly did Twilight do?

Firstly, the bear was obviously a friend. So that would be like massaging a friend's back. Not very intimidating. Still, Twilight has done plenty of things. How about safely harnessing an Ursa Minor? How about saving the Crystal Empire, but allowing Spike to take the credit because she couldn't get there in time? How about being the only member of the Mane Six who didn't succumb to Discord's powers until the very end, and also the first pony to recover herself? And don't forget all the occasions where she organized both Ponyville and the Mane Six, in situations like a disaster coming from the future, a dragon slumbering over Equestria, and the delay of spring in Winter Wrap Up. Her accomplishments are very long and varied, and all of them correlate to her being a princess. 

If Twilight really was a princess, she'd need all 5 things her friends have. So, if she's got that, why do the Elements even exist, then? Hmmmm?

Again, I would really suggest watching Season 3, Episode 13, and Season, episode 1 and 2. That pretty much encapsulates that Twilight does have the Kindness, Loyalty, Generosity, Honesty, and Laughter to become a princess. But that isn't why the Elements of Harmony exist. While Twilight is, in many ways, a good blend of all six elements, the other five ponies have that element as the core, defining trait of their personality. Twilight doesn't have that. It's been stated very clearly that Twilight needs the Mane Six as much as the Mane Six need her. 

Honestly, I wouldn't be writing all this if you had just stated good, solid reasons for dislike Twilight and Twilicorn. Plenty of people don't like Twilight, and almost the entire Brony fandom hates Twilicorn. But there are plenty of well-thought out arguments against Twilicorn, while your first post seems very incoherent. And also much more suited to, perhaps a blog post. 

Edited by Miss Earl Grey
  • Brohoof 7

Everypony, PLEASE. My opinions. Do you really think Lauren Faust is going to look at this and change everything?! Seriously! "Everything is awesome the way it is." True! I'm just saying why I don't like Twilight! I could say what bugs me about Rarity... or Applejack, or Dash! But it's my opinion that changes nothing.

Have a nice, joyous night.

Ahem. Everypony I expect 0 new posts from here on out. Read the post I added before. My opinion that changes absolutely bucking NOTHING. Kapeesh? Twilicorn is fine for you, but I don't like it. My opinion isn't Lauren Faust's.

Just let me state something about opinions here as you seem so intent on posting you opinion and ignoring others...

When you post your opinion, you're supposed to expect people to respond to it, negatively or positively. Stating your opinion for the sake of saying it is like saying "I'm going to shoot this flare into the air, but don't come and help me!"

Y'see that bright red got your attention? Yeah it did.

Point is, how will you ever learn without listening to other opinions and considering things instead of trying to firmly cling to your own selfish and disregarding thoughts? You ain't gonna go far kid.

• Brohoof 11

Ahem. Everypony I expect 0 new posts from here on out. Read the post I added before. My opinion that changes absolutely bucking NOTHING. Kapeesh? Twilicorn is fine for you, but I don't like it. My opinion isn't Lauren Faust's

So, your going  to tell everypony to shush, instead of listening to other peoples opinions? How will you ever learn?

how will you ever learn without listening to other opinions and considering things instead of trying to firmly cling to your own selfish and disregarding thoughts? You ain't gonna go far kid.

What this smart person said

Anyways,

This should probably have better been a rant instead of making a thread. Heck, it could have been better off a blog, so you can actually lock the comments * I think you can do that * If your so bothered by other peoples opinions. Also, Fluttershy would not ever be fit for this job. *No offence to Fluttershy fans :blush:

She is to shy, and would hid under a table.

Edited by NightmareCadence
  • Brohoof 3

I don't really support Alishy; she's too- well, SHY. She HATES attention, crowds, people looking at her, ect. Not really alicorn material. (no offence, flutter fans)

But I do think Twilicorn shouldn't exist. I mean, Starswirl the Bearded created about 4.5 million spells (well, actually more like 200) and got a space in a library named after him and Twilight FINISHED one spell that does absolutely nothing (half of it changes the elements of harmony, the other half changes it back. Useless.) and she got wings and practically divine right, with access to all the spells reserved for the highest level unicorns, like age and weather spells (actual ones, not the ones she staged when Trixie came back).

***Disclaimer: the next paragraph is based on something I heard. If you disagree from the original root of my rant, please quote it and tell me. Thanks.***

But the thing that really gets me is her flying. She had wings for about 2 hours and she was flying better than if a half-grown foal's two years of training. One of my friends said she did a SONIC RAINBOOM in a STAR-SHAPE. Seriously?!? No level of training or magic could make a Pegasus exceed the speed of sound but twilight, after we saw how uncomfortably she was with wings in Equestria girls suddenly can fly like the best flier in equestria, Rainbow Dash (I say she's the best because not only is it obvious, but have you ever seen any of the Wonderbolts do a sonic rainboom? Even in the legends?), when Rainbow Dash has flown every day of her life (except a few from read it and weep and when she was really little) and Twilight can suddenly do it with ten times more style with very little training, if any. (I wouldn't know, I haven't watched season 4)

Very sorry about all the ranting, sometimes I get carried away.  :(

• Brohoof 4

To the Original Poster-You sound so much like my friend! :blink:

He also rants about Twilight, and claims that Fluttershy is better. He also makes the same arguments you make.Weird.

Also why are people always ranting about Twilight? She isn't that bad of a character. Why do you never see anybody ranting about Fluttershy? :huh:

TailsIsNotAlone, on 26 Nov 2013 - 12:12 AM, said:

This should be called "Twlight rant," not "Twilicorn rant," and even then it doesn't add up. Twilight, whom I love, is an awesome character who has saved other ponies through individual action (Boast Busters and Pinkie Keen just off the top of my head). The alicorn business, which I don't love, is something else entirely.

I don't think anyone who wasn't an alicorn or princess when the show started, needs to be one now. xD

I agree with this. Well, asides from the whole Alicorn thing. I really couldn't care less about Twilight getting Wings to be honest.

Judging by the fact you're even making a post about Twilicorn it really seems as if you disapprove of it. 

Would you be a dear and instead of posting a thread, keep these opinions to yourself?

• Brohoof 1

But the thing that really gets me is her flying. She had wings for about 2 hours and she was flying better than if a half-grown foal's two years of training. One of my friends said she did a SONIC RAINBOOM in a STAR-SHAPE. Twilight can suddenly do it with ten times more style with very little training, if any.

Megan McCarthy clarified that was NOT a Sonic Rainboom but a magical effect.

Also keep in mind it was Rainbow Dash herself that was teaching Twilight how to fly properly... so really with a teacher like that how could you expect Twilight not to get the hang of flying?

Since you've changed the title of this thread, I suppose I'll weigh in again.

No, Fluttershy should not become a Princess. Number one, she's unfit for leadership. Yes, she's kind, but the only thing we've seen her manage is fluffy animals. She's very rarely stepped up and took charge of the group (I can only think of one time she's done this, in Dragonshy, and even then she didn't really lead, more retaliate). 

Number two, she would never want to be princess. She's much too shy and squeaks when anyone looks at her. Can you imagine an entire nation looking up to her for direction and wisdom? Fluttershy hasn't had the proper training, she shows zero interest in becoming any kind of a leader, and knows very well that she's "weak and helpless", as she's stated herself.

This makes it all sound like I hate Fluttershy, but I don't. I think she's one of the more...simple of the Mane Six, and she doesn't have the complexity of Rarity or Twilight or even Pinkie Pie, but there's a certain adorable charm to her that I never get tired of.

Let's face it, Twilight has been trained, practically since birth, for this position. Looking back at the three seasons, everything pointed to it. The endless letters to Celestia, the missions they had to go on, the Elements of Harmony coincidentally all happening to be in the same town, Celestia and Luna epically foreshadowing Season 4 in the beginning of Season 3, Cadence teaching Twilight how to handle herself under stress...everything just piles up. 

I like Alicorn Twilight. I hated the idea at first and thought the whole episode was handled incredibly sloppily, but I like what I've seen of Season Four and the character arc Twilight is going through. I think she's a solid, relateable character who fully deserves the position she's achieved. 

• Brohoof 4