Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Just now realising what "buck" means

twisentryLover

so, im reading some fanfics, and suddenly i come across a statement that starts with "How the buck..." and i realized, buck means the F-word. so, in my twisted imagination, Applebuck season would become "apple**** season." is it just me or does that seem weird?

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, I noticed that too. But, then I remember something. "Buck" is a fanon term and is separate from canon. So, applebuck season doesn't mean a weird apple orgy, yeah try getting that image out of your head,but can remain what it was originally intended to be as a time of harvest. So in short. Its fanon, not canon.

• Brohoof 6

Well, while its true the term is used in reference to the F bomb it isn't always used that way.

Just like many words in the English language it kinda has two meanings.

When its used in stuff like "What the buck" or stuff like that it means the F bomb.

However when used in cases like "Applebuck Season" it simply refers to the act of bucking of trees, which if you don't know bucking is when horses kick with their back legs essentially. 

So your partially right, however Applebuck season has nothing to do with the F bomb, and just is basically like an apple harvesting season.

• Brohoof 2

so, im reading some fanfics, and suddenly i come across a statement that starts with "How the buck..." and i realized, buck means the F-word. so, in my twisted imagination, Applebuck season would become "apple**** season." is it just me or does that seem weird?

Eh...not really. You never hear the ponies saying "Aw buck!" Buck is a fannon work for the f-bomb, it's not cannon. So Applebuck season does mean when horses buck.

the-more-you-know.png

• Brohoof 4

Eh...not really. You never hear the ponies saying "Aw buck!" Buck is a fannon work for the f-bomb, it's not cannon. So Applebuck season does mean when horses buck.

the-more-you-know.png

I kinda just bro-hoofed that page entirely because of the reference.  ^_^

I have nothing better to say on this subject. That is all. 

• Brohoof 1

It's sounds weird because it isn't the case. In MLP and in real life, buck means to kick as with a horse. Some people have re-appropriated the word for their own uses though.

Ah more multi-meaning words coming up.

Buck's original meaning is horse kicking around, but apparently in order for the ponies to find a polite way to say f*** they came up with the second meaning.

It's like Hay meaning a pile of dry grass but when you say "What the hay?" You mean "What the h***?"

Well, it's not canon, so you don't need to worry about apple bucking. Instead, they say "what the hay", and of course Applejack's variations. More recently, she's said "heck" — it used to bother me because I always believed heck was a substitute for worse words, being a mixture of hell and f***. However, I don't think there's been any complaint about that, so she can carry on saying it, for all I care. It makes it seem more realistic, besides; "hay" just sounds so childish.

Bronies use "buck" for the sake of the younger people in the fandom, and just the general respect of the other members. Maybe I'm a bit snooty but, people are always going to think better of you if you're not effing and blinding all over the internet. Depending on your social background, of course, generally you're not going to want to use a curse word in every sentence to state your opinions unless it's very necessary.

F***ing the Apple family basically? I'll start with AJ  :comeatus:

AJ is mine, so don't get any funny ideas.

As others have pointed out it is a fannon term that will never ever be used in the show at least not in that particular context but that still dosen't stop the gears in my dirty mind from turning at all the delicious double entendres that could be made with that word. I have this fanfic idea where Applejack finds out about the dirty meaning of the word "buck" when she walks in on Big Mac showing some lucky mare why he is called BIG Mac.

• Brohoof 1

Buck this.  Buck that.  Buck this thing in particular. 

http://pandawhale.com/post/26105/fuck-this-fuck-that-fuck-this-thing-in-particular-cat-gif-pandawhale

Yeah, like Moonlightavenger said, context is your friend.  :)

When I hear the word buck, the first thing that comes to mind for me are male goats and deer.  The start of buck season is practically a state holiday in Pennsylvania. 

• Brohoof 1

Buck meaning the F-word is a fanon thing. In the actual show, it is just an innocent term. The fanon thought it sounded like another word (you know the one) and promptly proceeded to use it as a replacement for that dirty word. So, it really doesn't sound weird to me because the fanon is always coming up with crazy stuff. I have grown used to it.

Edited by SmartyPants

I prefer to think that the actual canon equivalent for "fuck" is "feather," given Fluttershy's little diatribe in Putting Your Hoof Down:

" I can't believe that the two most frivolous ponies in Ponyville are trying to tell new Fluttershy how to live her life when they are throwing their own lives away on pointless pursuits that nopony else gives a flying FEATHER about!"

• Brohoof 3

Theres a comic about this somewhere, it goes like this:

RD: F*** I dropped my caramel apple.

Rarity: Language, Rainbow Dash!

RD: Well what else am I supposed to say?!

Rarity: What about 'Buck'?

RD: But does't that make Applejack's job sound really terrible??

Rarity: Hmm, you're right. That is a rather disturbing thought.

I prefer to think that the actual canon equivalent for "fuck" is "feather," given Fluttershy's little diatribe in Putting Your Hoof Down:

" I can't believe that the two most frivolous ponies in Ponyville are trying to tell new Fluttershy how to live her life when they are throwing their own lives away on pointless pursuits that nopony else gives a flying FEATHER about!"

Only that makes Granny's Smiths "oh, pony feathers" sound more serious as she says it infront of applebloom....

on the subject, I believe when RD says "oh horseapples." it is the equestrian version of "oh b***locks" XD

I think of "hay", "ponyfeathers", "horseapples", and the like to all be the Equestrian substitutions for stronger swear words like "hell" and "fuck". "Buck" belongs to the same category, so the normal meaning of the word is still preserved. 

This theory makes Fluttershy's rant against Pinkie and Rarity somewhat funny due to her saying "That nopony else gives a flying FRICK about!".

I'm sure that, for Fluttershy, even a substituted swear word is pretty intense.  :lol:

Octavia's Melody, on 07 Dec 2013 - 11:37 PM, said:

F***ing the Apple family basically? I'll start with AJ  :comeatus:

60s-spiderman-meme-pony.gif

For some reason I find the combination of your post with this animated gif funny. Maybe it's because Applejack is bucking Spidey.

Anyways I've always though of buck as a pony version of the F word. It depends on the context in which it is used though. Bucking a tree, and Bucking your special somepony are two very different things.

Edited by Mikami