Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is your preferred method of drawing? Traditional or computer?

lomk

Preferred drawing method  

69 users have voted

1. 1. What is your preferred method of drawing?

• Traditional methods (paint, pastels, pencils, charcoal, etc)
    • Computer (including those who use drawing tablets)
    • I like both equally.

So I've seen so much awesome art made using computers. The capabilities of our machines these days are simply amazing when you look at the computers that were around only ten years ago. The two operating systems I grew up on were Windows 98 and XP. That was back in the day when, if your flash drive sported 128 MB of storage, that was a pretty big deal. In fact, when I was in high school, my flash drive was 512 MB and that cost me $20. These days, that'd buy 16 GB (or 32 times the storage).

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that the capabilities of our computers are getting to be so amazing and so are those of the artists who use them these days. I've been seeing so much amazing fan art from those who use computers. It looks like traditional methods of creating art are fading away faster and faster. Drawing software allows people to be better at what they do. I'm sure fixing mistakes or making alterations to a work on a computer are so much easier than traditional methods. If it isn't absolutely perfect, you can go back, make a backup copy, and start working like crazy on your piece until it is perfect. And if you destroy it, you have a second copy to go back to. These digital works are also harder to destroy since it can be on your hard drive, your flash drive, your cell phone, a floppy disk (who uses those anymore? lol), whatever. If your house catches on fire with a painting in it, then it's gone. Finally, it's got to be a nightmare to get a traditionally done work of art copied digitally unless it's on letter size paper that can be run through any old scanner. 

At the same time, I love traditional art. I think that traditional art is so much harder to make because the things you do are more permanent. It's harder to fix mistakes. Not to mention, that one you make is a truly one of a kind specimen. Even if you make a picture on a computer and you have the only copy of the file in existence, you can make an exact copy of it. It's impossible to make an exact copy of a physical piece of art using traditional methods. You can't paint the same picture twice and the two be exactly the same down to the last minute detail. Even so, if the picture exists in a physical form, it just feels that much more legitimate just because it's tangible.

Personally, I use traditional methods because I don't have any software or a tablet and I don't have the money to just throw out there for that stuff. If it were less expensive to get into using a tablet and Photoshop, I'd give it a whirl. But at the same time, I'm getting kind of tired of using pencils and paper to do my creations because they're harder to store, harder to alter, and so forth. 

So I'm curious. What do you use or prefer to use when you're drawing? If you care to share your thoughts, why do you have this preference? And feel free to let me know if I've got any misconceptions about creating digital art :)

I think it is possible to make some really cool stuff using computers. Each has it's own merit. I find that computer arts show the technical skill of the artist, while traditional arts reveal both skill and emotion. Computers are easier to work with, but traditional arts have a feeling of permanence. 

I prefer the pencil above all else. It allows me to make changes as I go along, but it is also more natural. I would use computers more, but I find it much easier to draw by hand. 

I believe both are capable of doing both. Just because you made something on a computer, doesn't mean you didn't put in skill and emotion.

You're absolutely correct. What I meant was that a computer allows artists to better fulfill their vision, so you see a refined end product, whereas traditional methods are a bit more permanent, so more of the process is visible. That doesn't mean computer art lacks emotion, it just reveals less to the viewer.

Edited by Frith is Magik

I started some days ago as I bought a bamboo tablet :) 60€ werent too expensive and you usually don't have to pay for a software to draw with (paint tool sai is freeware and photoshop is easy to get for free too). Even if you dont buy a tablet, its possible to draw with your mouse only too since all you have to do is zoom in enough.

I agree with everything you said above, but I would recommend to switch to the pc style to anyone (especially to the noobs like me ;P I'm pretty sure I'd get frustrated if I tried drawing traditionally).

-Felrora

i prefer drawing traditionally, i cant draw on computers and i can barely draw on tablets. although i can sort of colour stuff in on computers. the picture was hand drawn but computer coloured.

post-22929-0-73693100-1386616600_thumb.png

Both! I like both. I've been doing a mixture of both for many years - my sketches are made on paper (sometimes I'll switch to digital entirely though. Depends on my mood) to prevent me from obsessing over the drawing too much due to limited erasing attempts. (and also because it feels a bit easier and natural) Meanwhile, coloring and refining is done digitally due to how much easier it is to mix colors together and create crisp outlines. 

Making a good painting is very time consuming, but a satisfying feeling creating something so complex and so... physically visceral. It's a whole lot of action. And that's what I like about the traditional side of things. More of the feel of... kind of just jumping into the mud all dirty and working with your hands. Also, it can have a unique charmingly rustic look that can't be replicated via computer.

Digitally, I like how much more bright and vivid things look. How they can look so crisp and perfect to my absolute specifications, and how I can zoom in and modify the outline ever so slightly. I also do enjoy the feel of my tablet. (Especially my new one. My boyfriend just got me this Intuos Pen and Touch. I must say, it was pretty pricey, but well worth it.) 

I'll admit that I somewhat more prefer digital due to sake of ease, how much easier it is to share with others, and because I generally am much better at it (it's HARD to mix together them paints man D:), but I overall am just a lover of both. :3

I find that computer arts show the technical skill of the artist, while traditional arts reveal both skill and emotion.

I believe both are capable of doing both. Just because you made something on a computer, doesn't mean you didn't put in skill and emotion. All a computer is is a tool that makes things simpler, but even then, it can be a complex process to create a truly great piece of art. I put all of my skill and my feeling into it, my entire being regardless of whether it's on paper or not. 

On the flip side, a traditional artist can also have a great deal of technical skill. It takes technical skill to very carefully dab your paintbrush in the right areas to ensure you get just the perfect composition.

When you ask "Which do you prefer to use?" it sounds exactly like when people say, "Do you prefer to Oil paint or Acrylic paint?" It's just like asking what medium do you prefer to use.

Personally I use both just as equally. I can paint pretty pictures on both a canvas and a computer, it depends on what do I feel like drawing on today? Really you can't necessarily draw on a tablet first hand and expect to be amazing as all hell, no you have to start from somewhere. Once you get that general comfort and feeling, then you are ready to use a tablet. By using the tablet together with your knowledge of drawing on the paper, you are now able to experiment and see just what you can do with the thousands of options a computer can surmise. You can edit things on the fly and have a more "professional" looking piece of work that looks crisp and clean. Though this shouldn't entail that you no longer need to use a pencil anymore, oh no that's the complete opposite. While a tablet cannot be portable when you go on the fly, a Sketchbook and pencil will always be there by your side. Taking a sketchbook with you wherever you go and taking studies on the world around you in said sketchbook will always have a genuine feeling that you're learning something. 

Basically what I'm saying is. You can't live without one or the other, you learn from both mediums. So sticking with both and moving forward in life is the best of both worlds.

I use a Wacom Cintiq 12wx as my prefered tablet when I draw digitally and a good ol' Pencil and Paper when I do my sketchy thing. c:

• Brohoof 2

I'm pretty good at traditional drawing.

That red, white, and blue piece of notebook paper... the glorious and useful mechanical pencil...

All that scribbling... details, outlines, shading...

*ahem* Uh... getting too caught up in that o_o...

But I just. Can't. Draw. With the computer! AGH!

I'm still a little good, but I just hate it. With the whole mouse thing... like... I'm too used to drawing with a pencil. I can not do it on the computer. Just... can't...

I mean, I'm used to the pencil and all. How hard I have to press it down for a certain amount of shading, where I can just do *wisp* make a quick streak of a pencil and see the thickness from the level the pencil was on, ya know what I mean. Hopefully.

So, in other words... I choose traditional drawing. Yeah. ._.

Edited by GalacticToast

I draw mostly traditionally because it feels just feels more comfortable that way. I know there are tablets out there with different surfaces and different points for the tablet pens, but I have never used any of them. So I can't really make a judgement, however the ones that I have used toke some time to get used to, and even then I didn't feel comfortable with them. Add the fact that for most of my life I have used a pencil and a piece of paper and I would have to choose traditional.   

I mainly use traditional methods for me, as it's classic and more refined in my taste.

Mostly on blank paper, as lines help, but in order to truly draw more stylish and out of bounds, lines can get in the way.

Also, I do tracing, but that's when I'm practicing. 

I prefer traditional. I find digital art to be so amazing and beautiful, but it's just not my forte. I've tried doing stuff on the computer but some programs confused me or I find it a huge waste of my time staring at a computer for hours. Both can be awesome, but I'd much rather use pencils, markers, paints and whatever else I can get my hands on.

I like to draw on computer. The best program for it is adobe illustrator. I think I read somewhere that they actually use a similar program to make the show. I was drawing some ponies on it and they looked just like they do in the show, if you have the money to get the program and can be bothered to learn how to use it I really recommend it. Hope this helped :D  

Really you can't necessarily draw on a tablet first hand and expect to be amazing as all hell, no you have to start from somewhere. Once you get that general comfort and feeling, then you are ready to use a tablet. By using the tablet together with your knowledge of drawing on the paper, you are now able to experiment and see just what you can do with the thousands of options a computer can surmise.

I don't agree with that statement.

I started with a tablet (some days ago) and I mananged to do something with it. I havent drawn anything on paper before that in general.

Also drawing on a tablet makes it easier to learn (for me at least). I can do mistakes as often as I want. I just draw until and erase until it looks right and I never have to start over.

No offense btw :squee:

I don't agree with that statement.

I started with a tablet (some days ago) and I mananged to do something with it. I havent drawn anything on paper before that in general.

Also drawing on a tablet makes it easier to learn (for me at least). I can do mistakes as often as I want. I just draw until and erase until it looks right and I never have to start over.

No offense btw :squee:

To each their own I suppose.

I usually draw on paper but mostly on computer

but

I suck at drawing

I have like

no talent

Only when it comes to drawing Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, and Pluto. There easy

Edited by NightmareCadence

This right here sums up the whole thread. Traditional is good for practicing pencil strokes and techniques. You also get to think more when you draw because there's no undo on your paper xP

Digital drawing is a bit easier, since you can erase and re-do the picture until you're satisfied with it (without damaging the canvas lol).

Graphic tablets can be quite difficult to get used to if you're jumping from traditional to digital, like me. But since then it has become my second nature to draw with it.

Oh wow you have a Cintiq? That's friggin awesome!

Ohooo yeah, it's pretty friggin' nifty!

• 2 months later...

Well, animation wise, personally I would prefer traditional animation because I think it gives you better control and not only that, everything looks more natural. It's really hard to make something like natural in Flash. I mean, look at the animation in Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies. All of that was hand drawn and it all came out beautiful and natural. I'm really admired by the hard work in Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies. But since I need to learn how to animate ponies using puppet animation, I have to use Flash xD. I don't even know how puppet rigs are made, but they get made somehow. But if I have to draw ponies, I'll use either Illustrator or Photoshop. Now, getting everything to look right takes some time to do, but if you have patience, you'll be proud of your hard work.

Edited by SilverDays

Like most other people I enjoy both, though I don't have amazing skills when it comes to traditional works.
I find my studies are better with pencil and paper, feels more loose and free. Like you are more able to follow

the movement of whatever you are drawing. For finished design though, or a colored drawing I prefer digital.
Not sure why, it might be because my style has always been very clean and sharp, though I do love the

use of inking pens as well.

I like to go it with a pencil ... mostly becuase I just got my graphics tablet and haven't mastered it yet :/ but also because while I don't produce great art with a pencil it also seems effortless to do. I just scribble on paper until it looks right lol. computers require a great deal of concentrating on the subject matter.

• Brohoof 1

Ever since I got used to my drawing tablet, I do all of my drawing digitally. I can still draw traditionally, but... Somehow, I think I just don't have the finesse to make a traditional drawing I'm happy with. The undo button makes my life easier; since there's no undo button in traditional, that actually tends to frustrate me more than anything. I abuse that undo button, that digital eraser that makes fixing mistakes so much easier. That might be partially due to the fact that my hand is a tad unsteady sometimes... digital tools help me make something I'm proud of in spite of that.

But on the other hand, I can't help but wonder if I'm too reliant on digital aids and drawing tools, using it more like a crutch than anything else...