Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is your preferred method of drawing? Traditional or computer?

lomk

Preferred drawing method  

69 users have voted

1. 1. What is your preferred method of drawing?

• Traditional methods (paint, pastels, pencils, charcoal, etc)
    • Computer (including those who use drawing tablets)
    • I like both equally.

I mostly use pencil and paper and sometimes if I like the drawing enough I'll go over it digitally but drawing with a mouse is just criminal. I've been thinking for a while now that I'd buy a tablet, I've never had one before but when I do get one it'll probably be the Wacom Cintiq 22HD just because I don't really understand with models without the screen how you know where you're stylus is in relation to you're digital canvas. Would much rather just be able to see exactly where I'm drawing. 

I draw with pencil and then lone it over with a thin black sharpie.

Nothing fancy.

I also use PhotoShop but I have yet to be good at using it.

But I just. Can't. Draw. With the computer! AGH!

I'm still a little good, but I just hate it. With the whole mouse thing... like... I'm too used to drawing with a pencil. I can not do it on the computer. Just... can't...

Drawing on a computer isn't synonymous with drawing with a mouse.  Have you ever tried using a drawing tablet?

Oh wow you have a Cintiq? That's friggin awesome!

He's not the only one ;)

On principle, I'd advise people to try every medium they can.  But I also don't even remember the last time I drew on paper.  Cintiq at home, and Colors!3D on my 3DS when I'm out.

Ever since I got used to my drawing tablet, I do all of my drawing digitally. I can still draw traditionally, but... Somehow, I think I just don't have the finesse to make a traditional drawing I'm happy with. The undo button makes my life easier; since there's no undo button in traditional, that actually tends to frustrate me more than anything. I abuse that undo button, that digital eraser that makes fixing mistakes so much easier. That might be partially due to the fact that my hand is a tad unsteady sometimes... digital tools help me make something I'm proud of in spite of that.

But on the other hand, I can't help but wonder if I'm too reliant on digital aids and drawing tools, using it more like a crutch than anything else...

A crutch that saves paper?

A crutch that saves paper?

Heh, I guess so. I guess I just feel mildly self-conscious because people (namely my grandmother) seem to think that drawing traditionally takes more skill than digital art does, and the fact that I have a hard time with traditional says something about my skills (or lack thereof) using that logic...

Heh, I guess so. I guess I just feel mildly self-conscious because people (namely my grandmother) seem to think that drawing traditionally takes more skill than digital art does, and the fact that I have a hard time with traditional says something about my skills (or lack thereof) using that logic...

I wouldn't say that. I would say you have more skill than I do :P your avatar is adorable by the way. no need to be self conscious use whichever medium you want

I don't have anything to draw with on a PC other then a mouse...and I suck with it.

So, I stick to good old pencil and paper, sometimes inking after. I do color on my PC, since I don't have tools for it, and I'm bad at coloring outside a digital photo program.

• Brohoof 1

[This post is hidden. No offense to anyone, but I am no longer part of the community and no longer wish to be an (active) part of the forums. I treasure the friendships I made along the way. Thank you!]

Edited by CadetGrey
  • Brohoof 1

Both.

My OC (my profile pic) was originally drawn, then I drew her on the iPad in an app. The blue part of her mane is slight darker than I wanted it to be due to limited colors, but I think it turned out good...

I like technology, but I have limited resources (limited to freeware) and have to get used to stuff, and only have time for tech stuff on the weekends.

I prefer digital because that's what I've learned.

Even then, I'm still REALLY mediocre at it, just better than anyone that doesn't do stuff.

As for creating new stuff, than that goes along the lines of either

A) Using General Zoi's OC creator

or

B) Sketching it by hand only to scan it and work with it there.

I can't draw on a computer for the life of me! So I do traditional. It feels more natural and challenging even though someone with a mouse can do it a whole lot better. Not that I don't like computer generated art work! quite the opposite! Its just there are somethings that can't be done on a computer than good ol' paper and pencil. For example me drawing Luna! http://mrgreen-plant-lover.deviantart.com/art/Drawing-Luna-430038524 So thats my take on it.

• 1 month later...

I haven't drawn is such a while, but I like to do it the traditional way with Pencil.  Im very bad on the tablets b/c it tends to screw me up, :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, a bit of both for me though I rely much much heavier on computer capabilities now. I prefer to sketch on Paper, scan it then ink and colour it in photoshop. I have a tablet though so it feels more natural, but id be lost without masking and erasing options xD. I hold traditional artists in high esteem--they are beyond me.

i like using tradional means but it's very expensive specially if you use markers, and such it run into the alot of money once your marker is empty or if you prefer a specific type of paper (i myself prefer a nice heavy paper, thin paper i find the markers bleed through and destroy whatever is under the piece..i learned this the hard way when i colored this one fanart and lifted it up and was horrified to find my kitchen table now had prismacolor marker all over it)). Tradionally i use primsacolor markers, microns for lineart, and a soft puddy eraser, puddy erasers are amazing i yer still using a white one go out and buy one of these now!!!

I usually use digital art now, it's cheaper in the long run i find as i dont have to spend five to ten dollars everytime a marker dies on me. Plus it has an undo button, so if you make a mistake you dont have to scream to high heaven at the horrific thing you've done. I also love paint tool sai, If only tradional art had layers....

I always sketch up random things on paper, it feels more natural than using a tablet. On the other hand though, using technology to create my art helps me use my creative side's full potential. It really depends on the mood I'm in.

I find that computer art and physical take compleatly differant set of skills and talent. Digital takes knowing the programs and where it looks amazing I much prefer traditional. It feels more personal. More like you have a peice of the artist that you bought it from. Being able to put your thoughts on a piece of paper and make it beautiful, it takes something special.