Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

GO TO POST-2014 MLPF WORLD CUP THREAD FOR FINAL RESULTS

Inactive01

This makes absolutely no sense.  How does this work?  I seem to get that the characters are grouped on eight groups of four each.  So why then are two individual characters (Sweetie Belle and Shining Armor) against each other?  Do the groups function as teams, or are they the first rounds of elimination?  What the heck is the Group of Life/Death?  I assume that all of this is European football ("soccer") jargon that us Americans don't understand.  And not to offend anyone, but Sterling Crimson's explanations didn't help at all.  I guess it's only fair that if there's one American tournament (March Madness) that there should be at least one that isn't (World Cup).

(edited)

This makes absolutely no sense.  How does this work?  I seem to get that the characters are grouped on eight groups of four each.  So why then are two individual characters (Sweetie Belle and Shining Armor) against each other?  Do the groups function as teams, or are they the first rounds of elimination?  What the heck is the Group of Life/Death?  I assume that all of this is European football ("soccer") jargon that us Americans don't understand.  And not to offend anyone, but Sterling Crimson's explanations didn't help at all.  I guess it's only fair that if there's one American tournament (March Madness) that there should be at least one that isn't (World Cup).

I'll just give you this for reference, especially since you haven't heard of the Group Stages.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/the-basics-of-soccers-world-cup.html

@StarSwirlTheBearded Sorry for not adding this by the way: The Group of Death is a group that can be unusually competitive. The Group of Life is a particularly predictable group. 

Edited by Sterling Crimson
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Most of my fellow Americans seem to struggle understanding a round-robin formatted tournament...the closest thing they know of is NCAA's 64 team single elimination bracket, and the post-season single elimination tournaments of Football and Basketball.

It's not that hard, everypony!

The members of each group (let's use Group A [[Sweetie Belle, Shining Armor, Princess Luna, The Great and Powerful Trixie]] for example), will compete with each other member of their group head-to-head.

Sweetie Belle vs Shining Armor

Sweetie Belle vs Princess Luna

Sweetie Belle vs The Great and Powerful Trixie

Shining Armor vs Princess Luna

Shining Armor vs The Great and Powerful Trixie

Princess Luna vs The Great and Powerful Trixie

Notice that each contestant will compete against each other contestant within their group (They each participate in 3 matches).

Voters will vote for each match-up (in the FIFA world cup the teams play against each other).

If a Pony wins, they will be awarded 3 points.

If a Pony loses, they will be awarded 0 points.

If there is a tie between them, they will each be awarded 1 point.

When all 6 of the group's matches have been completed, the four contestants will be ordered by total points received. The top two from each group then advance to the next round (the round of 16).

Then, depending on the system, the Winner of Group A will face the Runner-Up from a different Group B; and the Runner-Up in Group A will face the Winner from Group B.

Starting in the round of 16, the tournament will become a single-elimination format until a Winner is decided!

Here's the FIFA tournament schedule for comparison:

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/index.html

Edited by PE Brony
  • Brohoof 5

Most of my fellow Americans seem to struggle understanding a round-robin formatted tournament...the closest thing they know of is NCAA's 64 team single elimination bracket, and the post-season single elimination tournaments of Football and Basketball.

It's not that hard, everypony!

The members of each group (let's use Group A [[Sweetie Belle, Shining Armor, Princess Luna, The Great and Powerful Trixie]] for example), will compete with each other member of their group head-to-head.

Sweetie Belle vs Shining Armor

Sweetie Belle vs Princess Luna

Sweetie Belle vs The Great and Powerful Trixie

Shining Armor vs Princess Luna

Shining Armor vs The Great and Powerful Trixie

Princess Luna vs The Great and Powerful Trixie

Notice that each contestant will compete against each other contestant within their group (They each participate in 3 matches).

Voters will vote for each match-up (in the FIFA world cup the teams play against each other).

If a Pony wins, they will be awarded 3 points.

If a Pony loses, they will be awarded 0 points.

If there is a tie between them, they will each be awarded 1 point.

When all 6 of the group's matches have been completed, the four contestants will be ordered by total points received. The top two from each group then advance to the next round (the round of 16).

Then, depending on the system, the Winner of Group A will face the Runner-Up from a different Group B; and the Runner-Up in Group A will face the Winner from Group B.

Starting in the round of 16, the tournament will become a single-elimination format until a Winner is decided!

Here's the FIFA tournament schedule for comparison:

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/index.html

Couldn't have said it better myself. Just note that you have 24 hours to vote for your character once the tournament starts.

• Brohoof 1

Will there be a point to participating through this or will the final simply be a four-way race with an "all of the above" option again?

Will there be a point to participating through this or will the final simply be a four-way race with an "all of the above" option again?

I've been chatting with Sterling and even though that wasn't brought up in our chat, we both love this format of tournament because we're both huge football (soccer) fans. I'm confident this one will not be altered. Hopefully, everypony will have learned by then to accept the fact that other ponies will disagree with their favorites. We have about two months for everything to calm down again until this tournament begins!

(edited)

I don't understand this...what happened to the normal March Madness Tournament?

This one is completely separate! An entirely different format. The March Madness Tournament is based off of the NCAA Basketball format. March Madness happens every year in the USA. THIS tournament is based off of the FIFA World Cup Football Tournament (soccer) which only happens every 4 years.

Just look at my first post above and I explain how this format works! ;)

post #1130 :http://mlpforums.com/topic/82112-the-2014-mlpf-world-cup-draw-results-right-here/?p=2494240

Edited by PE Brony
  • Brohoof 1

No there WILL be a winner for this, regardless of the trolling and the jerking.

I don't understand this...what happened to the normal March Madness Tournament? 

This is different from the normal March Madness, as @PE Brony said. He's like my spokesperson in a way. :P

• Brohoof 1

No there WILL be a winner for this, regardless of the trolling and the jerking.

This is different from the normal March Madness, as @PE Brony said. He's like my spokesperson in a way. :P

Haha It's kind of an unspoken agreement between us! I noticed you weren't answering and I was still awake so I decided to keep helping!  B)

• Brohoof 1

Haha It's kind of an unspoken agreement between us! I noticed you weren't answering and I was still awake so I decided to keep helping!  B)

Well thanks for clearing it up buddy. I was having a hard time explaining it without being too lengthy :P Well I still need more flags for the World Cup, so head on over here if you're artistic and have a particular pony you love! :D

http://mlpforums.com/topic/93778-flags-for-the-2014-mlpf-world-cup-participants/

• Brohoof 1

My favourite ponies are in the same group as my least favourite PONIES...I CAN'T TAKE IT! *faints on fainting couch*

I CAN'T DECIDE WHICH GROUP I LOVE MOST. ALL OF THEM ARE AWESOME!

You love every group, but I wonder... which group will be the hardest to choose the top two from? :3

MLPF World Cup Group Analysis Time!

Before completes a TV theme for me, I'll just use this to introduce my World Cup analysis.

First thoughts

I was planning on livestreaming the World Cup draw for everyone to see, but then I opted against it. There was too much risk of people getting overexcited and bashing each other for liking a particular pony. As a result, I performed the draw a month early. Now with that in mind, I want to see a CLEAN tournament. If you don't have anything constructive to add and are only competent enough to bash someone, rest assured that we'll make sure you feel as worthless as your words. I will not tolerate what happened on March Madness the other night. This is a friendly tournament that is supposed to make everyone feel welcome. That's why I introduced opportunities for you all to support your favourite pony, from designing a flag to asking people to help me make songs and themes. Dry and crude jokes will not be well understood by people over the internet, for it is difficult to discern between a healthy joke and a destructive one.

The Group of Death

When I finished drawing everypony into groups, Group C struck out as a particularly difficult group. Fluttershy, Octavia, and Applebloom are all deserving to advance to the knockout stages with Angel being a potential dark horse. But when I looked at the groups again, a whole bunch of other groups stood out, particularly Group H. Rainbow Dash, Spike, and Princess Cadence are all competent enough to advance to the Knockouts, but one of them has to go home early...

The Group of Life

The Group of Life is a group that's the complete opposite of the Group of Death. A group where a less popular character can have a chance to advance to the Knockouts. I see Group B as that group. Queen Chrysalis and Zecora, even Mayor Mare would have a harder time in another group, but they've been given a chance to advance... 

Even if I'm not an American I have trouble understanding this tournament. XD

But after reading some posts, I think I do now.

Regarding the opinion poll

Group of Death: E

Group of Life: D

I just realized something... Fluttershy and Applebloom are having a rematch from this year's March Madness... at Group C. If you still don't understand the format of the World Cup, I suggest you see PE Brony's post on page 56.

Rainbow Dash and Princess Cadence will also have a rematch at Group H. Daring Do and Lyra have a rematch at Group G. Granny Smith and Vinyl Scratch have a rematch at Group F.

So for those characters who lost, there's a chance at redemption...

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Just got familiar with the format! I'm certainly looking forward to it :)

Seems I missed all the qualifying rounds, but marking my calendar for July 12th...or I'll just follow the thread...or both  :P

Interesting that Group A is popular as both a Group of Life and a Group of Death. Makes me wonder if some misunderstood what they stand for, or if our opinions are just that different xD

Edited by Starlight Sky

Interesting that Group A is popular as both a Group of Life and a Group of Death. Makes me wonder if some misunderstood what they stand for, or if our opinions are just that different xD

Like you, I'm also confused as to why Group A's both a popular Group of Death and Group of Life. Maybe they wondered which group was the liveliest? I have no idea... 

You know what would be REALLY cool? It's really ambitious, but a national anthem (or theme song) for each pony would really be the cream of the crop for the World Cup.

• Brohoof 1

You know what would be REALLY cool? It's really ambitious, but a national anthem (or theme song) for each pony would really be the cream of the crop for the World Cup.

I think I'm gonna stay outta that department! haha

(edited)

Guys I've been considering moving up the World Cup to an earlier date! Tell me if you guys want that or not by voting!

Also, I have something very special for you...

Guys, meet our mascot for the 2014 MLPF World Cup...

auwe1w.jpg

xopl34.jpg

It may be a port of Philomena by @Budding Night, real name being Maggie, but the symbolism behind it's why I chose it. It's not an entry for any contest, since that was abolished a long time ago. It was something that she just wanted to do.

Here's her description of the mascot:

Her name's Pyralis. 

Pryalis (Pronounced, Puh-ral-us, as said above) is a Phoenix, with feathers made up of every colour of the rainbow, symbolizing the brightness of our loveable ponies, and how the sight always makes us Smile Smile Smile when sad. Her name means 'Of Fire', symbolizes our burning passion for the small horses. As well as her form of creature, it symbolizes our love, the life lessons we've gained from the show. It symbolizes the strong connection we all share as bronies and pegasisters. 

Legend has it this bird will streak across the sky when an act of true friendship happens. What better a mascot? The MLPF World Cup is all about bringing us together as friends, as connecting with one another to see who truly is best pony of the forums. 

Edited by Sterling Crimson
  • Brohoof 2

I said May 12th.

March Madness got really crazy, and I think the site as a whole is just beginning to recover from the...er, madness :D

I know I am.

I think we should give it a bit of a rest and move it down to May 12th :D Allow us some recovery time so that way we can be ready to have the fun that the MLPF World Cup is here to provide, but not drag it out too long and make everyone who wants to participate all antsy  :D

Edited by ghostfacekiller39