Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Opinions on Rarity in season 4

MobiusKing97

wow i havent made a topic ever since last year but in seriousness i wanna know everyone's opinion on rarity at this point of the season, do you think she's still the same, dramatic(just kidding) pony we all know or has she changed?

Rarity has had some great moments in season 4 already! Some of my favorites:

• Rarity's quest to restore ancient art in Castle Mane-ia
  • "But, Spike, you must have superpowers. Your character is wearing a cape!"
  • Rarity donning a hazmat suit to avoid direct contact with the vampire fruitbats.
  • "Come down from there! And do stop being a vampire bat."
  • The entirety of Rarity Takes Manehattan. Flawless episode.

Rarity is the same great character here that she's always been in previous seasons, and I'm sure the fabulousness will continue as season 4 progresses.

• Brohoof 11

She is the same character that we all know and love, she still has her funny moments in the show. Still fabulous as ever. :P

jebh.jpg

Edited by Scootalove
  • Brohoof 7

So far, she's the breakout character. While the others have been inconsistent (*cough*Twilicorn and Spike*cough*), minus her role as background pony in Daring Don't, she's been up and center in so many hilarious roles, from wearing the hazmat suit to stay away from the vampire fruit bats (with a hilarious first-person perspective), restoring the castle by trespassing into it (and suffering some delicious karma), and Generosity's reprise.

• Brohoof 6

Let me say, that out of all the characters so far in season 4, rarity has been doing exponentially well compared to them, and I"m not just saying that because she's amazing.

You see, she has had more lines that support or lighten the situation, her role is quite bigger than what of season 3 had to offer, and her latest episode proves to me once again that she's the best pony, and the ever growing improving character of the bunch.  ;)

• Brohoof 2

Rarity, has been, and is usually, the most interesting of the mane 6.

Her charm and her sometimes sparratic personality are so funny and interesting. Episodes that revolve around her never ever disappoint me. It's sort of hard to believe that she ISN'T my favorite pony. But she's definitely up there. She's easily one of the most entertaining characters I've seen come out of practically any media, including video games, movies, and anime.

And so far this season, she's had many memorable moments. Especially her most recent line in "Rarity Takes Manehattan".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQWl6PNpee4

However, I think she could get more screen time. I'm hoping we get at least one more episode based around her this season.

Edited by takai

I am the only one that has to disagree here, and I'm certain that Rarity indeed has changed. And I sort of don't like how she was in 'Rarity takes Manehattan' despite how much I trully enjoyed the episode and how much I've seen it already, probably over 20 times by now.

This season feels so different for some reason, and now I'm understanding, I don't know what's going on, but episodes are being a little more story driven that character oriented, and the most obvious example was this Rarity episode.

In order to make an appealing story for this episode they gave up on what things makes Rarity unique and 'human-like', at least for me.

I am honestly bothered by Rarity's exaggerated generosity. And I don't want to address that subject one more time, because believe me, I've been defending Rarity even before season 3 was announced and I could see plenty of samples of how generous she was but without forgetting how grounded she is, in a way in which she has flaws and they felt so natural, so real-like, and that's why I felt so connected and related to her, because I'm pretty much a male Rarity with few differences of course.

In 'Rarity takes Manehattan' she was giving away gems like if they were Candy for no reason, and that's so not like her...she was being overly nice, of course not including her breakdown with her friends, leave super kindness to Fluttershy, that's not always good.

It's like the writers are giving up on character continuity and making something brand new, which is not always a good idea. If I watched this episode before any other episode where Rarity is featured in, I would definitelly have a wrong impression of her, and if that happens, then something is not right.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think her generosity was exaggerated at all. In the very second episode of the show, Rarity is willing to slice off her own tail to give to a sea serpent that she's never even met before, sacrificing her own fabulous appearance to help him with his.

"Treating strangers like they're friends," indeed. It's been going on since season one; Rarity Takes Manehattan just showcased more of what was always one of Rarity's traits - Freely giving to strangers in need.

Edited by Dr. Mechano

So far it is a significant improvement from season 3 where might as well have been a background pony, the first half of Rarity Takes Manehattan felt a bit awkward to me but it had a strong ending. Her conjuring up the teaset in Power Ponies and the hazmat suit in bats was hilarious and I liked how it explored her creative side in Castle Mane-ia and wonder if her ideas for redecorating will come to pass.

I think Rare can be a good breaker in moments

needing funny drama or just being be a nice well

unicorn but also we still get to see her flaws in

some of the eps to keep a well round cannon

as she has evolved and such.    I hope we

get see more of her also with Sweetie Bell

and such in a sister bounding and all! Or even

her parents!

This thread appears to be discussing MLP:FiM in some way, shape or form. Thus, it has been sentenced to Show Discussion.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

I'm very happy with Rarity's portrayal in season 4. She didn't often get a chance to clearly express her element, and in Rarity Takes Manehattan, her excitement and the unfamiliar setting gave the perfect opportunity.

@@Motion Spark:

I don't think it's exaggerated at all. Rarity's cutie-mark-awarded talent is finding (and using) gems. There was a whole episode dedicated to this. Gems are very common in Equestria, and therefore are worth less than what we're used to.

You say "for no reason", but there's a reason. It's seen shortly after her song - her generosity is repaid by the taxi pony when she is in need of help. You can be grounded by being generous, not despite it. By being generous to people in an unfamiliar place, she is actually making connections that could and did benefit her in the future. It's a long-term investment that a lot of people dismiss because they can't immediately see the results.

• Brohoof 1

I'm very happy with Rarity's portrayal in season 4. She didn't often get a chance to clearly express her element, and in Rarity Takes Manehattan, her excitement and the unfamiliar setting gave the perfect opportunity.

@@Motion Spark:

I don't think it's exaggerated at all. Rarity's cutie-mark-awarded talent is finding (and using) gems. There was a whole episode dedicated to this. Gems are very common in Equestria, and therefore are worth less than what we're used to.

You say "for no reason", but there's a reason. It's seen shortly after her song - her generosity is repaid by the taxi pony when she is in need of help. You can be grounded by being generous, not despite it. By being generous to people in an unfamiliar place, she is actually making connections that could and did benefit her in the future. It's a long-term investment that a lot of people dismiss because they can't immediately see the results.

Rarity's cutie mark story is irrelevant in this case because finding gems is a spell that any unicorn can learn, ask Twilight.

While I don't know how much gems worth in Equestria and I agree that gems are quite common, in a way, I'm very sure that they worth more than a couple of bits, that she could have given as a tip, that's the exaggeration. And also there are lots of types of gems that are quite rare and not easy to find.

Keeping gems aside, Rarity is a very generous pony, even without this episode, because she has shown generosity by self-sacrifice on plenty of ocassions. I really don't need to have her generosity rubbed on my face in such blunt way. However, the episode was very good and it had a very valuable lesson, but almost everything was oddly paced.

I enjoyed Rarity trying to restore the tapestry in Castle Mane-ia, Rarity as Radiance in Power Ponies, and the way that she thought of a tea kettle as a way to save them from the tornado. I also enjoyed Rarity in Bats!, and of course Rarity Takes Manehattan.

- I enjoyed her complete meltdown in Castle Mane-ia. That shet was hilarious

- She had the best power in Power Ponies. Flutterhulk may have wrecked the Maneiac, but Radiance was awesome

- RTM was bamf in almost every way, aside from me not being able to understand half of the words in the first song

• Brohoof 1

I enjoyed her in RTM, she had the best power in Power Ponies (also the only one who has a grasp of her powers and uses them well), she also had the best face in RTM, her breakdown in Castle Mane-ia was chuckle worthy, overall, I voted her best character for season 4

P.S: Speaking of RTM, this is what I thought the episode was about.

post-23390-0-11000300-1389502474_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vorax

I think that she's been very well written so far, perhaps the best she's been written since season 1/early season 2.  In season 1 they explored a lot fo different facets to her personality- not just as a high drama fashionista, but also as someone with a passion for art and creativity, a concerned friend, and a pony that could just really take care of herself.  Here, I like the fact that, for instance, she wants to restore the castle's tapestries because she wants to use them for herself, but because she thinks that great art should A) be preserved, and B ) be put on display for everyone to appreciate.  In Power Ponies, she was used very sensibly- her greatest skill is her creativity, so of course she'd be the equivalent of the Green Lantern/Star Sapphire, where she creates constructs- albeit of course in her own unique style. 

And of course, Rarity Takes Manehattan, where we saw *all* facets of her personality, good and bad- she's generous and kind, but has a tendency to get wrapped up in her own emotions.  Not to excuse them, but her negative qualities come from understandable places- she gets that way because she loses her head when drama comes, not because she's an uncaring jerk or something.

So I think that she;s been fantastic so far. 

• Brohoof 3

Besides character growth that's already occurred between Seasons 1 and 3, I of course believe that Rarity's the same beloved, over-the-top, generous and oh-so fabulous fashionista we all know and love!  The only difference between Rarity in Season 4 and Rarity in Season 3 (so far) is that she's been getting far more screen time than she did last year, including a Rarity-centric episode already and a song to boot.  Despite her minor meltdown, "Rarity Takes Manehattan" really displayed her at her very best, and I can't wait to see more of our favorite marshmallow pony this season!  :D

keep-calm-because-rarity-is-fabulous.png

• Brohoof 4

Rarity is the best character in S4 so far, just look at Rarity Takes Manehatten!

She's been fantastic so far.

• Brohoof 1

Rarity's cutie mark story is irrelevant in this case because finding gems is a spell that any unicorn can learn, ask Twilight.

Twilight isn't exactly "any unicorn".  I'm sure most other unicorns would have a much harder time.  Twilight's talent is magic, so she learns it easily.  

• Brohoof 1

Twilight isn't exactly "any unicorn".  I'm sure most other unicorns would have a much harder time.  Twilight's talent is magic, so she learns it easily.  

still 'any unicorn' can learn how to find gems, if ponyville unicorns don't want to learn magic that's other 2 bits.

Pretty underwhelming so far. She had awful dialogue in Castlemania and I didn't really like Rarity Takes Manhattan (although I haven't watched it a second time yet, my views usually change upon a second viewing). She was alright in the other episodes.