Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How old do you have to be to become a brony?

14griffin

I don't think there's really a particular age restriction. I think that anyone that is a fan of the show can be a brony. Not all fans consider themselves bronies, so I think it's a label that a fan can choose for themselves, regardless of age.

A five year old boy I've been working with for quite a few years had a very long discussion with me about My Little Pony, and he wasn't talking about just canon thins - he was mentioning "Derpy Muffin" and DJ Pony and other more fan-focused things (all age appropriate). Obviously influenced by an older sibling, but I consider him the youngest brony I've met, because he is knowledgeable of the fan content, in addition to loving the show.

Sadly, that day was the last time I saw him; he went on to kindergarten. I will miss that little guy! He called himself Big Mac.

Edited by Powderpuff
  • Brohoof 1

Anyone can be a brony at any age. I read a little story somewhere that someone's little son was proclaiming that he was a brony happy.png

You're a brony when you call yourself a brony.

If you look at kid reviews at CommonSenseMedia, you could see that many kids as young as 9 years old are identifying themselves as bronies.

Also some adults don't like the term "brony" and the are using other labels instead.

If someone is identifying themselves using a specific label than I'm fine with it and I'm not going to question whether this label is correct.

Labels don't define you. They describe you.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

Do you recognize all ages of pony fans as bronies? I mean it's time and time again referred to as "adult fans" of the show, so where do you draw the line,? if you have a line of course...

Mine is personally at 16, maybe 15, sorry to the rest of you, but I was still watching the Powerpuff girls at 13 and that's wasn't strange to me, and frankly I don't see maturity in droves from people younger than 16, Not to step on any toes here but a lot of times in the little time i've been here there's been plenty of threads and posts that...Lack quality I suppose, and more times than not it's "age: 13/ Age: unknown".

No offense, I mean, I'm not mad about it, I just thing kids that young would be better suited for club penguin or Runescape, haha, but honestly, there are exceptions, I've been surprised at the ages of some posters, so with all that, what do you think? What's the cut-off? Do you notice a lack of quality post-wise from the youngins?

I think if you want to be a brony you're a brony. What are we gonna do, stop you from calling yourself one?

THE CORRECT ANSWER IS YES.

pinkie_pie_prank_4thwallbreach_by_deathp

Edited by Circadian
  • Brohoof 2

I believe a Brony to be anyone who wants to be. Really, the only people I might consider to not be considered Bronies are little girls 12 and under.

And, thanks, m8. Guess I'll go take my lack of maturity on over to Club Penguin and RuneScape until I turn 15 in July.

• Brohoof 13

I "would" say yes. *Even though not all kids are like this*

Primarily cause kids today follow everything the older generations do because of how popular things

are with that generation. If you wanna call yourself a brony by all means do it, but in my eyes, bronies are us older folk (young adults+, and I'd say an age would be 16).

Sorry but this is "MY" personal "OPINION".

I would say that young adults are the place to begin the cut off. I mean I hate to say that a 10 year old kid isn't a brony, but I don't know if I would call him that at that age where the show is made for he/she. The show obviously wasn't made for young adults. 

I believe that maturity is not measured by the shows you watch. Frankly, when I matured, I did so by not stopping what TV shows I like to watch. (I'm 14 yrs old this Thursday)

1. He accepts criticism gratefully, being honestly glad for an opportunity to improve.

2. He does not indulge in self-pity.  He has begun to feel the laws of compensation operating in all life.

3. He does not expect special consideration from anyone.

4. He controls his temper.

5. He meets emergencies with poise.

6. His feelings are not easily hurt.

7. He accepts the responsibility of his own actions without trying to "alibi."

8. He has outgrown the "all or nothing" stage.  He recognizes that no person or situation is wholly good or wholly bad, and he begins to appreciate the Golden Mean.

9. He is not impatient at reasonable delays.  He has learned that he is not the arbiter of the universe and that he must often adjust himself to other people and their convenience.

10. He is a good loser.  He can endure defeat and disappointment without whining or complaining.

11. He does not worry about things he cannot help.

12. He is not given to boasting or "showing off" in socially unacceptable ways.

13. He is honestly glad when others enjoy success or good fortune.  He has outgrown envy and jealousy.

14. He is open-minded enough to listen thoughtfully to the opinions of others.

15. He is not a chronic "fault-finder."

16. He plans things in advance rather than trusting to the inspiration of the moment.

(I got it from http://www.michaelppowers.com/path/mature.html)

None on the list here says that you should stop watching the shows you like most if you turn 18, even if it's a cartoon.

You CAN be mature, and be a brony at the same time.

• Brohoof 2

13 year olds should be booted off the site, in my opinion. Especially those ones that have signatures with Mare Do Well in them and are big fans of Applejack and make PMVs. Those ones are just awful, man. ph34r.png

(But in all seriousness, I can definitely say from personal experience that watching ponies is not considered normal even for 13 year old girls, which goes to show that the public perception of the intended audience is more like 5-8)

• Brohoof 7

Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. Something was here.

Edited by NONAME
  • Brohoof 6

I believe a brony is anyone that's thirteen and up. Just think. How would you react if a seven year old, regardless of gender, asked you for a brohoof? I'd have to ignore it, sad to say. I just can't see kids that young being referred to as bronies.

• Brohoof 1

I would brohoof the hell out of him/her and feel flattered that such a youngster not only is taking on such good values, but furthermore, that he/she thought I was worthy of sharing such an awesome sentiment with.

I was just giving my honest opinion. There are going to be people who agree, and people who don't. That's what opinions are, sadly.

13 year olds should be booted off the site, in my opinion. Especially those ones that have signatures with Mare Do Well in them and are big fans of Applejack and make PMVs. Those ones are just awful, man. 

You wouldn't happen to know any, would you? I'm supposed to keep an eye out for those >_>.

Agree with what Stella said about the age cut off. My sister is roughly the same age as her and she doesn't feel like her interest in the series is considered normal either.  

• Brohoof 2

Brony is just a label. I think if a kid is old enough to browse the internet and know what a Brony is and what to be called that, I don't think there should be an age limit. I mean, I've seen ten year olds on a pony forum before, so sooner or later kids that know your to use the web are going to come across the fandom.

No offense, I mean, I'm not mad about it, I just thing kids that young would be better suited for club penguin or Runescape, haha, but honestly, there are exceptions, I've been surprised at the ages of some posters, so with all that, what do you think? What's the cut-off?

No offense, but aren't guys supposed to be into like football, working out, drinking beer, and building things? Yeah, try not to bring in stereotypes here. XD Bronies are kind of outside the norm, and I don't think it matters if kids are either.

Do you consider yourself a brony?

If the answer is yes then you are one

That's how I handle this question and honestly it's ture. If you consider yourself a brony then by all means to are one. I have meet people who like the show, but they don't consider themselves bronies. And you know what thats fine.

So ya that's my answer.

Nah, like a lot of people here, I think that if you consider yourself a brony, you are one. But I also think you can be a brony without considering yourself to be one. xD

Of course, I could be biased since I'm an immature 14-year-old.

:lol:

• Brohoof 3

Ahah my bf is called a 'brony' by his family and friends, when he doesn't even watch the show! Whatthehell, right.

Anyways, I think age shouldn't really matter. As long as they enjoy the show and fandom and everything, I'd brohoof anyone regardless of gender and age.

• Brohoof 2

You're pretty much all kids to me. laugh.png

If I start discriminating by age, there isn't going to be very many left for me to talk to around here. According to the last age poll on this forum, I could have children older than the majority of you.blink.png

I believe a Brony to be anyone who wants to be. Really, the only people I might consider to not be considered Bronies are little girls 12 and under.

And, thanks, m8. Guess I'll go take my lack of maturity on over to Club Penguin and RuneScape until I turn 15 in July.

WOW, You are so lucky! I have to wait until December untill I reach this sacred "Age of maturity"

Okay, seriously guys, all a brony needs is to watch, and be a fan of MLP. lets NOT put an age limit, or put people under the age of 15 under the stereotype of being Immature. I have seen many people OVER the age of fifteen being much MUCH more immature than the "youngins"

Edited by Snowdream
  • Brohoof 4

Aw man, I wanted to get in on the revolutionary "under 16 but mature" but I turned 16 a few months ago...*siiiigh*

I'm of the group that says if you call yourself a brony, then you're a brony. No need to discriminate against gender or age groups, as defying stereotypes is pretty much the standard with people persistently palavering pastel party ponies. This is why I'm not all for the term pegasister, but it would kind of go against my previous point if I tried telling girl bronies that they aren't allowed to call themselves pegasisters. laugh.png  I spent a good 6 minutes looking for a word for 'talking' that starts with 'p' and I have no regrets.