Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Nintendo DS Questions

Sandwhisper

Okay, so I was thinking of buying a new DS. Mine's a good bit over 4 years old, and the hinge has a nice crack in it and won't stay up. It probably won't get me much longer.

I was wondering:

- Is it worth is buying a 3DS?

- Should I just look for a cheaper DS Lite, which really is all I want as long as it works?

- Any opinions on the DSi?

Just to make known, I do have enough (as of right now) to buy the 3DS, but I wasn't 100% sold on it yet.

Thanks for your help, also. X3

Getting a DS at this point is completely pointless. You'd just be wasting your money. The 3DS isn't much more expensive, and it plays DS games. The truth is that if you liked the DS, the probability of Nintendo coming out with something on the 3DS that you will want is very high. Might as well just get the 3DS. I can't see any sense in doing otherwise.

• Brohoof 1

Okay, so I was thinking of buying a new DS. Mine's a good bit over 4 years old, and the hinge has a nice crack in it and won't stay up. It probably won't get me much longer.

I was wondering:

- Should I just look for a cheaper DS Lite, which really is all I want as long as it works?

Just to make known, I do have enough (as of right now) to buy the 3DS, but I wasn't 100% sold on it yet.

-The 3DS is a great handheld. Its a common myth that it's just a DS with 3D, but it is not. It is an entirely new system, with optional, but still great looking 3D. The system is pretty powerful, and has plenty of improvements. Heck, the internet play is already an improvement over the DS's. For example, The 3DS, unlike the DS, has a eShop, Video and Camera, a single friends list, MP3 player, internet browser, and a virtual console.

I could go on, but I'll summarize with this.

The 3DS is a new console that will last for a good 5-7 years with support.

The DS is an old system that will likely stop getting any new games by this December, when Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 come out.

And don't even bother with a DSi, it's just a downgraded 3DS.

• Brohoof 2

Depends, do you want to play gameboy games?

I do, but it's not a problem as I own a Gameboy.

So far it sounds like the 3DS is the best bet. I probably won't use 3D till I actually buy 3DS games, since all I have ATM are normal ones.

How's the battery life on the 3DS?

I do, but it's not a problem as I own a Gameboy.

So far it sounds like the 3DS is the best bet. I probably won't use 3D till I actually buy 3DS games, since all I have ATM are normal ones.

How's the battery life on the 3DS?

The battery life on the 3DS, if you turn on power save mode (or whatever it's called) and go to the lowest brightness is actually pretty good, and it's great if you're just playing DS games. I played Pokemon HG straight through an 8 hour trip and my 3DS still had plenty of battery power left at the end of that trip.

The battery life on the 3DS, if you turn on power save mode (or whatever it's called) and go to the lowest brightness is actually pretty good, and it's great if you're just playing DS games. I played Pokemon HG straight through an 8 hour trip and my 3DS still had plenty of battery power left at the end of that trip.

Besides games I might own in the future, I have no real reason to use the 3D yet, so I'll probably hold off on it.

I don't play my DS too much anymore, but if I do, I can sit down for a good couple hours. I heard the battery life actually kinda sucked, averaging 3-5 hours at most.

It's not like my old DS doesn't play. It works just fine. I do know it probably won't last much longer, though.

Any comments on the 3DS graphics when NOT on 3D?

I own a 3ds and it comes with a hecka lot of features even without a game for it. Plus it still plays the old games. There are many huge retro games available on it too, such as Zelda OOT 3D, starfox 64 3D, and many other virtual console games. Playing some of the games you see things you would NEVER see on the dsi or other ds system. The 3D, although taking some getting used to, is pretty amazing. It is really 3d without glasses and has proven itself to me time and time again. I got it before the 80$(?) Price drop and i still think it was worth it. All in all its an amazing system that i would recomend over all its predecesors. Especially for the price. (There even may be a super smash bros. Game for it in the making, which will also be available to the Wii U.)

When NOT in 3D?? Its pretty damn amazing. Its framerate is very high and smooth. The way things move in it are so extensively fine tuned that the characters movements almost top the PS3! Of course the graphics aren't as good, but its still pretty incredible.

Hope i could help. In the end its up to you.

Edited by SilverArrow

Besides games I might own in the future, I have no real reason to use the 3D yet, so I'll probably hold off on it.

I don't play my DS too much anymore, but if I do, I can sit down for a good couple hours. I heard the battery life actually kinda sucked, averaging 3-5 hours at most.

It's not like my old DS doesn't play. It works just fine. I do know it probably won't last much longer, though.

Any comments on the 3DS graphics when NOT on 3D?

The 3DS's graphics are a massive step up from the DS's.

The 3DS is not merely a DS with 3D features, it is Nintendo's next generation handheld, much like the DS was to the GBA. The 3DS has power and graphics similar to the GCN/Wii.

Trust me, it's pointless to get a DS at this point. It would be a waste of your money.

I'd go with normal NDS or NDSL. Nintendo is not making any money from the 3DS for some reason so they are still releasing titles for the DS. For example the upcoming Pokémon games. You want to play GBA games and not have GBA at home you should buy a DS. If not you should probably go with a 3DS or save your money for something better.

Edited by Jokuc

I'd go with normal NDS or NDSL. Nintendo is not making any money from the 3DS for some reason so they are still releasing titles for the DS. For example the upcoming Pokémon games.

No, Nintendo is making plenty of money off of the 3DS. The 3DS is officially selling as well as it should be and has been since the price drop back in August. For example it outsold the DS's first year months before the 3DS's first year was up.

Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 are exceptions. They are developed by Gamefreak, not Nintendo (meaning Gamefreak is acting within their own interests, and not Nintendo's), and they are all-too-likely being built through Black/White's DS engine. Sure I don't understand that decision either, but it has nothing to do with the 3DS's success. The 3DS is doing very well right now.

Edited by Envy

I was wondering:

As i've been reading through the topic, the 3DS is better than the DS series, so you should get one.

Not only that, there are more upcoming games for the 3DS and it should be the best moment to get one.

Well, as I state before, I have no problem with playing Gameboy games as, through my siblings as well, I have multiple ways to play them.

It looks as if the best choice is the 3DS, so I'm probably gonna go with that.

Thanks for wveryone's help!

• Brohoof 1

My original DS's hinge completely broke and the top screen was hanging on by only the wires, lol. I know that feel. At the time, the latest model was the Lite, so I just got that, but...

This decision hinges on a couple things. The DS Lite is the latest model that has GBA backwards compatability. If that's something you value, go with a Lite. If that doesn't matter, just get a 3DS. It's basically a DSi with tons more processing power and the ability to play any 3DS games you might want (currently there's stuff like Starfox 64 3D, Ocarina of Time 3D, Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land...releases both current and future can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_3DS_games)

The 3DS even has a Virtual Console if you want to play GBA games, but it would require you to repurchase any you already have.

Hope I helped~

• Brohoof 1

Damnit, just get the 3ds, it's alot better then the ds systems before it........It's litteraly like the dsi and the wii fused togeather in ds form and then given 3d........The graphics are great, there hasen't been a game that I heard of for the 3ds that dosen't have wii or gamecube like graphics.......Just take our words for it, it will be worth it

I did take all your words and got myself a 3DS. I do not regret it at all. XD

I didn't have enough to buy any of the 3DS games, but I downloaded a few demos to at least test.

It's pretty darned awesome. Thanks for the help~

I did take all your words and got myself a 3DS. I do not regret it at all. XD

I didn't have enough to buy any of the 3DS games, but I downloaded a few demos to at least test.

It's pretty darned awesome. Thanks for the help~

This is my reaction when i first got it in a nutshell. I was hesitant, bought it, thought to myself "cool." Then i got a 3D game later when i had the money. And then... well...

Posted Image

Replace the monitor with a 3ds.

THEN ocarina of time 3D came out, and when i got it (after visiting 6 other stores that were SOLD OUT OF IT.) I was in awe.

• Brohoof 1

• 8 years later...
On 3/17/2012 at 4:03 PM, Sandwhisper said:

DSi is great, especially the DSi XL, with Flipnote Studio preinstalled!
I consider the DSi the last 2D game console. I still program games for it today.