Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Celestia so big compared to other ponies?

CosmicHooves

Luna is also an alicorn-born pony, and she's not as big  :comeatus:

I have two theories on that.

The simplest is that she's 'younger', even more so now that she was in/on the moon for a thousand years and possibly was in stasis during that entire time.

The other is that it's connected to that flowing mane and their seeming immortality. In most mythologies true self-shapechanging is one of the more powerful magics and can have several side effects like effective immortality/unaging and great self-healing abilities. Other shapechanging being either an illusion or something with only limited control. If that's true in MLP:FiM, then Luna and Celestia might look the way they due because they *want* to look that way, and have deliberately taken those shapes. Luna's appearance at the end of the Season 1 opening being her actual unaffected appearance after all of her magic was temporarly stripped away. The problem with this theory is the Tirek incident. Both Celestia and Luna should have reverted to non-flowing mane appearances when they passed all their magic to Twilight.

I believe that she and Luna belong to the actual "alicorn race", which would also explain their ethereal manes and long life span. These ponies were born alicorns, but it wasn't until Star Swirl trained them to be princesses that they ruled over normal ponies. Twilight and Cadance have normal lifespans, manes, and are closer to a normal pony's height because they ascended.

No.

Don't you dare make another pun, or I swear I'll gut you with a rusty spoon.

Regarding the actual topic at hand, I would say that it is the way it is just to magnify the features of grace, majesty and sublimity. Needless to say it works as a discerning tool, after all, we are talking about some of the most important characters of the show. About the theory of the alicorns growing up, ultimately achieving the peculiarities of Celestia, I feel that even if it does makes some sense, it should be considered that there're many ponies who already possess clear differences from the rest of the population. Instead of a complicated physical development due to their new capabilities, it also could be taken as a mere mechanism of distinction.

Come on, Bulk Biceps and Trouble Shoes should've already left the trend on display for us.

Edited by Shadow Beam

It all started thanks to this donut shop that opened up in Canterlot 1000 years ago.

All joking aside Luna is also larger than most ponies so it seems like an alicorn thing.

Twilight had a barely percievable growth spurt too upon her ascendance.

Well in most cinematic concepts as well as art depictions and various other outlets of creativity where power struggles would be involved. It is a widely practiced concept especially in  art that the character who is more powerful to be bigger then others.

It stems off of human anatomy that is is apparent who is the stronger physically when you look at a body builder in comparison to a scrawny adult. 

I'm pretty sure Alicorns grow into a form like that over time. Luna and Cadence while not as tall as Celestia are both taller and leaner than regular ponies, and Twilight has been getting taller lately which makes me think that by the time the series ends she is going to be looking more like the other Princesses and less like your typical pony.  

princess_twilight_alicorn_sparkle_by_bak

Edited by Buck Testa

I'm pretty sure Alicorns grow into a form like that over time. Luna and Cadence while not as tall as Celestia are both taller and leaner than regular ponies, and Twilight has been getting taller lately which makes me think that by the time the series ends she is going to be looking more like the other Princesses and less like your typical pony.  

I like to think it has something to do with attaching yourself to a responsibility/domain in the universe: Starswirl said that alicorns would draw power from raising and lowering the moon instead of losing power, and celestia and luna were able to restore starswirl and the other unicorns after raising the moon/sun for the first time.

So I think if cadence never took over responsibility over the crystal heart for example, she'd always remain her current size, but that she should grow slowly but surely now that she's its caretaker. (Similiarly I think Twilight, if she grows, will have that stem from her connection to the map)

Something to do with power, probably.

But then, the lack of change in appearance when she/the princesses gave away their power doesn't make sense.

It's from all the cake she's been eating :)

Mmmm... Creamy, creamy frosting.

It's Probably because of her age and her power. Given how she's the vessel of raising the sun, wouldn't you need a lot of energy to do that? alicorns clearly have a better structure, so she must have more powerful/healthier cells then a regular pony. along with stronger magic, flight, you'd assume there would be a physical benefit to that, so she's probably taller be-

screw it she's a pretty pony stroke her mane and buy her toys :love: .

• 5 years later...