Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

TEST: How GAMER are you?

Rethajni

Remember to be honest and read carefully  

115 users have voted

1. 1. How important is it to know your console specifications?

• As long as it can read games and work, I am ok (+0)
    • I think is fairly important in case it has an accident (+1)
    • It's REALLY important! I must see what I am buying! (+2)
    • It's VITAL to see if I am to enjoy games properly! (+3)
  2. 2. Do you know some of the history of the video games and old generations?

• Absolutely! Those are the roots of gaming world! (+3)
    • What for? I just wanna have fun! (+1)
    • Nah, I dont need to know them (+0)
    • Kinda, some past games are fun (+2)
  3. 3. What do you look for in a video game?

• Graphics and sound! (+2)
    • The gameplay and story (+1)
    • Pure entertainment (+0)
    • All of the above! (+3)
  4. 4. How many consoles you have?

• Just have 1 or so, despite the generation (+0)
    • I have the new generations only and keep them updated (+2)
    • I have so many consoles! I collect them! (+3)
    • Just have a few that I have from the past (+1)
  5. 5. How active are in the gaming world?

• Only a little to entertain me and have nice time (+1)
    • Video games are my last resource of entertainment. I prefer other things (+0)
    • I like to play a lot, both online and off! (+2)
    • Practically every moment I'm awake (+3)
  6. 6. Do you collect video game merchandise?

• Absolutely! I know exactly when my fav game's product come out (+3)
    • A few things related to my favorite games! (+2)
    • If I saw something in a store, I'd consider buying it (+1)
    • What for? (+0)
  7. 7. What genres do you like?

• Shoot em' up, RPG, TF2, Minecraft, action, adventure (+2)
    • Sport, racing, dancing, something I can do only with 2 players or more (+1)
    • If it looks good, I'll play it (+0)
    • ALL GENRES!! (+3)
  8. 8. What have video games done for you?

• The opportunity to be in a new world and live the life of hundred of heroes and characters (+3)
    • Just hours of fun (+0)
    • It helped me to avoid anxiety, to enjoy art and technology or healthy entertaining (+2)
    • To enjoy a good story and good music only (+1)
  9. 9. Have you ever had strong emotions while gaming? (cried, laugh, angry etc)

• Sometimes, thats what the games for right? (+1)
    • The occasional moving moment (+2)
    • Ohh man, I feel so many emotions with the characters/music/story/weapons (+3)
    • Meh. No big deal (+0)
  10. 10. How much would not being able to play games effect you?

• WHAT!? No, no, no, that would be hell for me!! (+3)
    • It would be horrible! What am I gonna do now? (+2)
    • Meh. There are plenty of activities outside (+0)
    • I would be affected but I'd find other ways to entertain myself (+1)

Kind of shocked but I guess that makes sense. I've been deprived of my consoles since leaving for college as my apartment doesn't have a TV and this damn Mac can't play any PC games. (That honestly has been the most frustrating as all I actually want to play is SWTOR and The Secret World.)

While it may bug me from time to time, I'm honestly fine without them. I do, however, consider them a rising high art form and can think of many examples to support such.

I'm just barely a Hardcore game getting a score of 21

I find it very hard to believe that I'm just barely a hardcore gamer I was mastering video games before I even knew how to read and write. Gaming runs through my families blood my father is as much of a gamer as I'am....

I played Dark Souls, naked and shieldless, all the way up to Gwyn.

Get on my level, casuals.

I prefer naked and weaponless. Just a shield. (I later wore a sack over my head and the antiquated dress because I thought it was funny, but it's barely armor.)

I got a 19, mostly because I don't own any consoles except a Wii u (PC for modern games and it can emulate older games, cheaper that way.) I don't care too much for graphics and sound, (I mean, they're nice, but you're talking to a dwarf fortress player here. ASCII characters.) and I don't care about specs, if it's fun it's fun.

Edited by Brosparkles

24. Ever since I got my hands on the N64 and Gameboy advanced I've been gaming since. Every year I become more of a nerd than I was in the past. The description pretty much suits me. Gaming is a lot of what I do. Like 90%.

Edited by Felix

24. Not surprised with the answer, really. I've spent most of my currently short life enjoying the virtual gaming world. Mostly with an old PC, but still, gaming is currently my life... I really need to find new sort of entertainment... Or perhaps an actual life will suffice...

I used to be a really, really hardcore gamer

As in, was playing in highlander in tf2, had all the things, australium weps.

Played minecraft, civ, and a few other games besides

Then I quit, because the community and the game itself really wasnt helping my depression

I'm still looking to give my backpack away, but I cant bring myself to do it

Why did I even comment on this

silly

Yeeeeah, much like the other topic like this the questions and answers are way too limited in scope.

I only got an 18. Partially because none of the answers in some questions fit me at all and partially because the answers themselves seem arbitrarily numbered.

For example:

What do you look for in a video game?

My answer: Pure entertainment. I got a 0 on this question which implies that because my main motivator is entertainment it makes me less of a gamer than someone who looks for specific things. I can literally enjoy just about every game I play given the right mood and I've played more games than most of the people who play video games regularly.

The last question also implied that even though my every waking moment revolves around video games in some way that I should be so completely dependent on their existence that can't do anything else with myself in order to be considered a true gamer.

The genre separation is as arbitrary as the scores given to each decision as well.

I take pride in my status as a gamer and these questions and answers are a little insulting with how easily they put the definition of gamer into a box. Though I understand it's not the intention it irks me to think anyone can define what being a gamer is so simply.

Let me tell you what being a gamer is like for me:

Every waking moment is spend playing, talking about or making efforts to obtain more video games. My job at the gas station? I need it purely to supplement my gaming. The part of MLPForums I frequent? Media Discussion. Topics about gaming are my most visited ones as well. I play games from dozens of genres and subgenres. I play games that are obscure as well as big AAA titles. I play games new and old alike. I give no special treatment to what developers made what and when. My preferred franchises and genres are games most people in the hardcore gaming community consider dead or should be but I truck on and continue to find new and interesting games to play.

Gaming is my life. It's not just a hobby or distraction. It is everything that I am. An 18 is an insult to my gamer status, especially on a 30 point scale.

</ranty>

29.  No surprise there.

Replace the library with a Gamestop, and the books with games, and this is me right here.  Well, except I don't wear glasses.  Instead of that twist, it would be the fact that there would be no power left to run the electronics, I guess.

Barely got 21, not that I mind that though. I don't think this a good poll though the answers are a little too limited. ( Choosing from Meh games +0 points, Games *thumbsup* +1 points to OMG GAMES +55 points).

What makes you a gamer? I don't know. What if someone only plays one genre, put truly is a part of that community, an icon and a knowledgeable person that even had contact with the devs? Doesn't that make someone a gamer? Why should a person who played every genre and game through the ages (Jack of all trades master of none) be more or less of a gamer than the one mentioned before?

Gaming, and being a gamer should be about passion. Whether it's for a small part of the gaming community or it as a whole. I myself love stealth, RPG, RTS, SP FPS, MP FPS, 4X, Simulation, Text, Point-and-click, Racing, Adventure, Platformer games. I love nearly every genre and have a lot of fond moments from iconic games out of all of the genres. From Jak and Daxter to Beneath the Steel Sky to Timesplitters.

My passion is gaming, my passion is talking about games and competing in them. That's why I call myself a gamer, it's more than just a hobby for me. For me, someone like VaatiVidya is also a gamer, even though he only likes Dark Souls games, and by like I mean loves DS. Chuggaaconroy is a gamer with a passion for Nintendo games. Pamaj is a gamer who has a passion for CoD games and Pewdiepie has a passion for making people who love games laugh, discovering indie games and having a good time, for me that's also a gamer even when he sucks at them. Gamers are diverse, they play games for themselves and for the community. I guess what I'm saying is that you need to love what you're doing.

Like any hobby, labeling yourself as something like a gamer, or a bookworm, or a guitarist, or even a physicist, it's all about passion. Doesn't matter if you love every part of it, or you just focus on a small part. It's your job, or a big hobby. A hobby+ or Hobby-L one could say. It's all about passion for me in the end.

• 1 month later...

I got a score of 24, which sounds about right. I don't play a ton of video games but the ones I do play I play religiously.

But honeslty, some questions are just wrong, to me.

Like, why talking about the consoles ? I'm pretty sure 95% of the Starcraft koreans players that plays since 1998 and still stream games and tournament right now, in 2015, won't even reach 20 points on your test, and still, they're pretty hardcore about gaming.

"Meh, there are probably less than 100 players playing it now..." http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/aisiteru99

There are like 1000 viewers for the SC:BW streams, and I'm pretty sure that there are still schools training people on this game, while it is absolutely disgusting to watch. That's what I call hardcore gamers.

But I don't blame you, there's no such thing as perfect tests.

Edited by ConcorDisparate