Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Four is the square of two. Season two was two good, so therefore season four was four good. Squares have four right angles, so I am right about this and you are wrong.

Edited by Admiral Regulus

img-3449110-1-NostalgiaGoggles.png

In all seriousness, 90% of the complaints I hear about seasons 3&4 are things that could easily be leveled at the first two seasons just as well(and season 1, everyone's favorite sacred cow is actually pretty shaky when compared to what came after when it really hit it's stride) and that leads me to think of the above when said complaints roll out.  

I didn't really start hearing much about this show until around November 2012 when Season 3 premiered. And I didn't start getting into this show until after Season 4 so I was very unaware of the complaints towards Season 3 and 4. So Seasons 3 and 4 weren't that different to me from 1 and 2 except 3 was shorter and sweeter.

Edited by TheJLeeTeam
  • Brohoof 1

I didn't really start hearing much about this show until around November 2012 when Season 3 premiered. And I didn't start getting into this show until after Season 4 so I was very unaware of the complaints towards Season 3 and 4. So Seasons 3 and 4 weren't that different to me from 1 and 2 except 3 was shorter and sweeter.

Bingo, it seems to be largely the people that have been here since day one and don't want to let go of season 1 that complain(I came in in November of 2011, when we we're well into season 2)

Uh huh uh uh. So what I'm seeing here is a bunch of arguments that are pulled out of nowhere.

No buildup? Does the mystery box not mean anything to you?

Predictable? 90% of the episodes could be considered predictable

Hasbro not giving them creative freedom? Compared to what? The other seasons, which have more or less the same amount of creative freedom?

Ah, we can always count on ChikoritaBrony to bring some sense to a thread :D

I'll go further and say that the morals/lessons/character conflicts in season 4 were the strongest in the show. Even in more forgettable episodes like the Breezies one, you had Fluttershy learning that sometimes the best thing for someone isn't what you or them wants. That's such a mature and tough moral for a kids show. Then you've got episodes like Flight to the Finish, which used two different story lines to reinforce one message (embrace what you are and don't think you need to be the way others say you should be).

All around, it was a wonderful season, full of substance and new ideas.

On another note, when have the two-parters of this series not been predictable? But moreover, going into the season, did you expect Discord to betray everyone in an episode? I believe a huge concern was that he would turn into a Goody Two Shoes type, never again to engage in chaotic ventures. So to say that was really predictable I think is a little disingenuous, unless you actually saw that coming after Keep Calm and Flutter On. I certainly didn't.

Edited by LZRD WZRD
  • Brohoof 4

There was a time ... long ago ... around lunch ... where this was a topic about Season four's quality. Let's get back there :P

• Brohoof 2

Eh, to be honest, it didn't seem all that great to me either.  :please: 

I might be biased though, because I prefer the slice of life episodes of MLP (the ones in season 1 and 2) than the new "adventurous" ones. Although, there is something I'm not biased on, I didn't like season 4's story arc at all.

Also i liked season 4, really brought so much to my feels.

To me, feels is what can separate the good episodes from the great episodes.

You know, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that season 4 has the best episodes of 2014.

• Brohoof 1

To me, feels is what can separate the good episodes from the great episodes.

To me, being able to go back over the details, pick apart what you like and don't, understand what makes sense and what doesn't, and continuously see new interesting things you didn't notice before is what separates the good from the bad.

• Brohoof 1

To me, being able to go back over the details, pick apart what you like and don't, understand what makes sense and what doesn't, and continuously see new interesting things you didn't notice before is what separates the good from the bad.

That's true too.  I actually didn't care that much for Suited for Success the first time I watched it.

That's true too.  I actually didn't care that much for Suited for Success the first time I watched it.

It's funny, I've had people tell me that anything will become awful if you look too closely at it. All that tells me is that they haven't actually seen anything good enough to hold up under scrutiny.

• Brohoof 1

Just to be clear, my post with the u wot m8 was intended as a joke, hence the meme post. People have different tastes like for example I hated nearly all of season 3 and what it was doing, other people liked it. Should that make me think any less of them? No and it doesn't. For example I'm good friends with a youtube critic Antony C and he hates Dog and Pony show but I love it because we see the episode differently.

This thread should be about sharing your opinion on season 4 and nothing more, not bickering over who is right or wrong because there is no right and wrong, it's all just opinions and opinions can't be wrong.

In closing, calm down guys and discuss. Don't jump down each others throats over difference of opinions.

• Brohoof 4

I rewatched Season 1 and 2 recently and I honestly still think Season 4 is the show at its best.

-(Mind you this does come down to personal preference) I preferred the more adventurous feel to the show than the slice-of-life format (which I still enjoyed by the way)

-Developed the character really well

-Introduced new lovable characters like Cheese Sandwich, Coco Pommel, Maud Pie

-The inclusion of Tirek. Not only did they bring back a Villain from G1 but he was the most intimidating and well-written villain in the show to date and avoided the outright stupid mistakes Nightmare Moon, Discord and Chrysalis made.

-Had an interesting story arc

-Had good world building

-Had excellent episodes that are amongst the show's best such as Flight to the Finish, Pinkie Pride, Rarity Takes Manehattan, Testing Testing 1, 2, 3 and Equestria Games (Yes, I'm including this on that list! Say what you will about the episode not being about the actual games but it had a damn good story in it)

-Also had episodes in it that were a ton of fun like Castle-Mania, Daring Don't, Power Ponies, Three's a Crowd, Simple Ways and Rainbow Falls (Yes, I liked that one and I cannot for the life of me see what the complaints are about!)

• Brohoof 4

img-3449862-1-8d0.jpg
(this is a joke)

Nu uh.. according to statistics. season 4 had the most viewed episodes especially twilight kingdom.. so what you have stated is false  :comeatus: thus making your opinion false 
but in the end it's just your opinion but i stil think season 4 is the best season so far :)

Edited by Nihi The Brony

I also would like to give Season 4 some extra points for addressing the Derpy Controversy in a tasteful manner by introducing characters besides Derpy that are actually physically handicapped and introduced them as normal ponies, giving handicapped viewers who were offended by the idea that Derpy was going to be removed for that handicap that they don't have to ashamed of being disabled.

• Brohoof 1

Season 4 was meh so much so I don't think I even finished it.

But you know what it was better than Season 3 where I had to actually skip some episodes after 5 minutes they where so bad.

S5 better be good it's been a long f****** build up.

Season 5 is pumping itself up to be brilliant, what with those silly hollywood voice over epic teaser trailers they've been boasting it with. I keep thinking the voice at any point is going to say "Directed by Micheal Bay" especially after the season 4 finale.

Also I had a major problem with the Twilight Trailer in which the announcer says "She chose to leave her library for a castle." Okay so apparently getting your home blown up by a terrorist attack and having a castle sprout up where it used to be constitutes choosing lol.

Nu uh.. according to statistics. season 4 had the most viewed episodes especially twilight kingdom.. so what you have stated is false  :comeatus: thus making your opinion false

Shows what YOU know. According to all this science I made, Season 4 is CLEARLY the inferior.

post-31545-0-98672700-1422407388_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

*waits for the disagreement*

I am aware that this was probably added for a joke but the baiting needs to stop now, we've already had one argument in this thread.

• Brohoof 1