Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your Online Personality vs Your Offline Personality

SanityNotIncluded

Online: I'm outgoing, can be heard by others and have a comment ready for anything.

Offline: I'm quiet, socially awkward, and is slow to think of a comment.

Edited by Meanlucario
  • Brohoof 3

Online: Comments on threads and even makes some. Even replies to status updates.

Offline out in the public: Picture me as a person who just walks around the SF Bay Area and a college campus and just looks around and doesn't talk unless needed. Yep, that's impressive social skills. NOT! Also, picture me as a person in a meetup who does have a say, but while others don't ask me questions, I scratch my head to think what to say. But can feel happy when reminding a peer about something he/she hates (Star Wars Prequels for example) and when getting a rare hangout or party with peers.

Offline at home: Picture me as a person who sits on the internet, does some homework, and always gets hella angry as hell when discussing personal problems and goals with his parents.

Not joking, that's me.

Edited by CC_Maud_Pie
  • Brohoof 1

Probably a bit more calculating when speaking with others. Not necessarily in a manipulative way, just more measured than thoughts shared on the web. I tend to be very diplomatic in either case most of the time.

Sometimes I just don't quite articulate things the way I intend too. Meaning I may come across as being rather tactless or detached.

One of my shortcomings I guess, at least I'm honest I s'pose.

• Brohoof 1

if anything im a lot more polite online, mainly because i was raised to be polite to people i don't know but offline, especially with my friends, i swear a lot more, i have more arguments, make a lot more stupid comments... generally i give even less of a fuck IRL xD

• Brohoof 1

I don't consider this online persona to be the same person as...me. I have different personalities, online I say things I never would in life. Or maybe that's not true.

It's all a clever ruse and sometimes I tell the truth. 

• Brohoof 1

Hey folks,

As many of you might be aware, anonymity tends to have "interesting" effects on people. A shy person might suddenly become a stand up comedian and a Reddit user might inadvertently sprout a fedora.

Whatever the case, we tend to act differently online to how we act in real life. I (and seemingly many others) find this interesting, so I thought I'd create a thread for people to talk about the differences between their online and offline personalities.

My personality isn't hugely different here, but there are a few things:

• I use the greeting "hey folks" a lot on the internet, whereas I would never say something so corny in real life
  • I'm actually a lot more shy on the internet than I am in my day-to-day interactions. In the real world, I have absolutely no problem going up to random people (or groups of people) and just casually talking to them. However, on the internet I find approaching people to be extremely awkward. In all honesty, I think it's mostly to do with the fact that what we write online is semi-permanent - meaning that you get too much of a chance to scrutinise what you say/write.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear from others so do fire away.

I have a bad habit of talking like Applejack on my facebook mlp group :P online as a thing I think i'm a lot more intellectual and talkative in general but i'm guessing thats what the tinterwebs are for...

• Brohoof 2

I'm far more open and sociable online than I am in person. The amount of anonymity we get on the internet is just enough to make me feel like I can talk to people without having to give a shit about what they think of me, at least not to the extent that I do in person.

In person I'm able to communicate with people still, but it's largely an unpleasant and draining task unless it's with family or really good friends. I generally don't open up about my feelings or beliefs unless it's someone I know I can trust. Another reason for this is that it's a lot easier to block out assholes on the internet than it is to block them out in person.

• Brohoof 3

Typical Online Conversation:Howdy Pardner,Hows ya life,When are you *blah* *blah* *blah*

Typical Offline Conversation:What?,Uh....Okay then *continues awkward conversation unless with friends*

Basically,I am more friendly and Chatty when i'm online(i can talk to almost every online user)

In offline,I Don't talk with anyone,Unless being approached(which i dread because i'm both an introvert and loner) And I'm Perfectly fine talking with my friends since they can be trusted.

Edited by The Sheriff
  • Brohoof 2

Online: Rather quiet most of the time but when I'm in the mood for chatting, I do chat, A LOT!

Offline: More of an observer, keeping my thoughts for myself but just like my online personality, once there's something I want to talk about I just can't stop talking.

• Brohoof 1

I'm strange in that I'm much more serious and thoughtful online than I am in real life.

Also I'm mostly happier online, since I can tell people that I'm transgender and most people are ok with it.  :pinkie:

• Brohoof 2

Online, I'm really outgoing and happy to talk to new people, meet new people, and chat anybody up. But offline I'm really shy and quiet around people I don't know.

• Brohoof 1

Hmm...nope! I'm fabulous online AND offline! ;) I'm maybe a little more shy offline though. But that's about it.

Edited by Felix
  • Brohoof 1

Online: Happy smiling Pinkie Pie pony =)=)=)=)=))=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)) Energic kind and social =)=)=)=)=)=) I can be who I am online It feels good =)

Offline: I never talk to anyone I always hide in shadows, avoid eye contact, never smile, grumpy face, Unable to socialize at all,  I'm not really fun to be with to be honest unless you get past my shields that i have so I can protect my delicate inner self from all the hatred.

• Brohoof 1

Online: Happy smiling Pinkie Pie pony =)=)=)=)=))=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)) Energic kind and social =)=)=)=)=)=) I can be who I am online It feels good =)

Offline: I never talk to anyone I always hide in shadows, avoid eye contact, never smile, grumpy face, Unable to socialize at all,  I'm not really fun to be with to be honest unless you get past my shields that i have so I can protect my delicate inner self from all the hatred.

Knowing this I'm glad I've met you online, because your persona on here is one of my favorite things on this forum. Its nice knowing that at least somebody on here will brohoof my posts ^_^

• Brohoof 1

Just curious, if you met any of us on here do you think you'd have an easier time getting along in real life? Though I haven't really talked to you before I know who you are and I wonder what it be like to know you IRL sometimes because you're just such a cool person. :)

• Brohoof 1

Just curious, if you met any of us on here do you think you'd have an easier time getting along in real life? Though I haven't really talked to you before I know who you are and I wonder what it be like to know you IRL sometimes because you're just such a cool person. :)

I don't think it would change very much at all, because I have hard time believing that you all here are actually real people. And my communication problems lie mostly in speaking with my mouth. It is really hard for me to say things out loud especially if they are personal things. In internet its easier because I can write them. I've never said out loud some things that I've told about myself here 

• Brohoof 1