Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Finding your happiness in other people's happiness.

SkyDream

This is going to be a weird topic.  I tend to start most of my topics with that line.  I never really know what to expect these days, considering that I no longer opt to tag myself as being "normal."  I so prefer it that way.

Tell me.  Do you ever feel as if the majority of your happiness comes from making other people happy?  You would absolutely jump at the chance to brighten someone's day, and your day would be completely made because of it? 

I'm finding that to be ridiculously true lately.  I can't even count on all of my fingers and toes how many peoples' computers I have fixed to some degree entirely for free, sans tip where insisted upon.  They become my highest priority.  I never once feel any regret whatsoever.  It's really something that I do in my spare time in addition to a job.

I know everyone probably feels a twinge of pleasure doing something nice for someone else, even selflessly so, but when it encompasses your whole world, you gotta start a topic like this right here and talk about it a little.

(edited)

While I think it's lovely to make others happy, I am always prioritizing my own mental state as of right now, since it was very weak for a very long time. ^^;

Also, I am the type of person that can't do that, because as soon as I do I instantly feel owed. Which is terrible, I know. However, I am of the feeling that if I am putting effort into a relationship of any kind with another, then it should be a two way street and that person should also be trying to be equally nice to meeeee. RAWR.

In addition, it's hard for me to be nice to people lately with my job, since it has only emphasized the amount of human stupidity I see, haha. ^^;

It's great to see people like you out there to counteract all the grouches like me, though. Keep it up, but remember to always think of yourself too~

Edit: I can't period. :muffins:

Edited by Cirrostratus

(edited)

Helping people makes me very happy. :) I help them and ask only for a smile in return. Most of the time I don't even have to ask! :D

I wouldn't say making people feel better makes my entire day, but it is definitely a feeling that can put me in a good mood, if I'm not already. Which, these days, I feel happy all the time! But smiles still make me glow. ^^

Edited by Felix

I enjoy making others happy and seeing them show happiness towards me. At my workplace I basically do some computer-related tasks that may seem trivial, but are actually very helpful. People then smile at me in return, and it helps to keep me going throughout the day!  ^_^

• 5 years later...

One of the primary reasons I love my current profession (Tour guide/Reenactor) is because of how much I'm able to add to a patron's experience of our exhibition. I love history, so I generally tend to get very enthusiastic whenever I'm discussing it, and my role allows me to interract with others in a fairly casual way. The feedback and appreciation I get from this is what really makes my job worthwhile. On occassion, I have even gotten emails or TripAdvisor reports addressed to me from customers who say that my tours and/or information really pleased them. Never fails to lift my spirits knowing that I've made someone's day that little bit more enjoyable, however slight. ^_^

So yes, I would say that the happiness of others contributes to my own happiness. It's not the only thing I find joy in, of course. But it at least makes my job feel like much more than a daily grind.

• Brohoof 1

What a perfect time of year for this topic to be brought up. Yes, that's what it's all about. Making others happy in a true act of love (that is willing the good of another, ie Charity) will in turn bring you happiness. Constantly only seeking good of self, increase of success, personal worth, often can lead to despair.

And on a bright side, you can achieve all of those things too as long as you balance caring for others as well. I was the most out of shape, miserable, lonely, depressed when I was me driven, and success driven (back when I was a professional actor). Since having kids and a family, working to help friends and neighbors and extended family, I'm not only happier but have found other successes in life.

I may beat a dead horse with me saying it, but to those depressed and wrought with sadness, find a way to help others and seeing that joy in them might reflect it back unto you. 

• Brohoof 1

No misery loves company... :nom:

Serious though while I like seeing others happy I don’t feed on that. Instead I feed on passion and inspirations.