Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can you eat with chopsticks?

Legacy Dash

154 users have voted

1. 1. Can you eat with chopsticks?

• Eeyup.
    • Sort of, I sometimes send meat flying across the table...
    • Nope.

Went to Japan and wife and myself were in a restaurant in Yokohama and on the table beside us is another couple. The girl is paying attention to us and her bf is trying to ignore what the gf is doing. Eventually we asked and she was looking at our chopstick "skills", she then took some time to enlighten us.

A couple of days later we were with my Japanese friend and his family. We realised he was being told off by his mother and we asked why. She was upset with him for his bad and lazy chopstick skills in front of the foreigners who were using them properly :)

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've tried them a few times at Asian restaurants, though I'm usually unsucessful to the point of giving up and eating with regular cutlery. 

• 2 weeks later...

You know what? Coming from someone who's half-Asian, and who enjoys Asian food a lot, you'd think that I'd be a wizard with chopsticks.

And yet, here I am, fumbling with them every time I hold them.

Well, that's not true... there are some days where I'll just magically have the dexterity required to use them, and then on some days it's like I've never touched them before.

I don't like using them though. I'd much rather use a fork. Like... a fork is just the better option here, people. It's the upgrade. Chopsticks are obsolete. Just... why use them anymore?

(not to hate on anyone who likes chopsticks, just my opinion)

• 2 months later...

I have a friend who never eats with them, but oddly is better with them than I am.

There is a drinking game that involves eating 10 m&ms with chopsticks as a race....

• 1 year later...

It's a struggle at least with small rice grains and I meant to be half Japanese lol. I keep forgetting the actual way to hold them (which feels weird and stiff anyway) instead using a slightly different way.