Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Worst Official Releases in your Favorite Franchises?

The Coffee Pony

I don't think it's WORSE than 06, but it's pretty bad.

At least Shadow the Hedgehog plays decent and isn't broken on a basic technical level, despite all the other problems you could point out with it. 

As for my entry, it's two words that pretty sum up everything that can go horribly wrong with a sequel and a move so bad it's been stricken from canon by the creators themselves:

Highlander: The Source, a direct-to-SyFy abomination of a movie that basically took everything Highlander is and shit all over it, repeatedly.  To rub salt into the wound it had enough good plot ideas to be considered one big pile of wasted potential. 

• Brohoof 1

Kingdom Hearts: Re-Chain of Memories.

No. Just...no. That game sucked so hard. I gave up after like 15 minutes. I couldn't play it, the card system was jank. Thankfully it's not a huge blow in the plot if unplayed. It just leaves a slice between 1 and 2 blank. Though it's easy to figure out what happened since 2 explains everything basically.

• Brohoof 2

My Little Pony:

-G3/G3.5

-Newborn Cuties

-Boast Busters

Thomas and Friends:

-Seasons 13-16

-Misty Island Rescue

-2014 Trackmaster (toy line)

-Discover Junction (toy line)

Super Mario:

-Mario's Preschool Fun

-Mario's Time Machine

-Mario is Missing

-Mario Teaches Typing

Sonic the Hedgehog:

-Sonic Labyrinth

-Sonic the Hedgehog: Genesis (GBA)

-Sonic Spinball (Game Gear)

-Sonic X (American dub, never actually watched the Japanese dub)

Crash Bandicoot:

-Crash of the Titans

-Mind over Mutant

Kingdom Hearts: Re-Chain of Memories.

No. Just...no. That game sucked so hard. I gave up after like 15 minutes. I couldn't play it, the card system was jank. Thankfully it's not a huge blow in the plot if unplayed. It just leaves a slice between 1 and 2 blank. Though it's easy to figure out what happened since 2 explains everything basically.

[CHAIN OF MEMORIES DEFENSE MODE ACTIVATED]

I personally like the battle system, but it's polarizing. The level design was awful, also. Regardless...

I recommend watching the cutscenes. The Disney world plots are generally "wow that'd be pretty good if they bothered to animate the friggen things", but the main storyline is where it really shines. It's more involved than the first game's but not insane like the other games'.  :derp:

Both Sora and Riku are characterized well. Sora is pushed to his limits by the plot and seeing his more negative side was a treat. Riku has a stupid "smelling darkness" gimmick, but otherwise, he's definitely affected by the events of the previous game (which doesn't feel overstated because it just happened) while also being refreshingly pragmatic.

The best part's the villains, which were my favorite of the series. Organization XIII sell themselves as conniving adversaries, Axel's at his best, and, well, I can't tell you more 'cause spoilers. It's nice to not have it be all Xehanort all the time. 

Other points in its favor include giving Jiminy Cricket a strong supporting role, the line "It's about time you gave me one hell of a show!", and the unfortunately sparse new music tracks. 

Edited by Stellafera
  • Brohoof 1

Then I take it you hate KH3D, too?

Nah. I liked the gameplay quite a lot, the individual worlds were great and connected to the themes of the game -- other than Notre Dame for some reason -- and the characterization of Sora was my favorite of the series. Terrible plot, though. I liked it much more on a feely basis than a logicy one. 

The one I hate is Kingdom Hearts 2. Sora's a meanie face poophead, Roxa's part is frickin slow, Riku is emo, Disney worlds felt kinda lazy, level design felt lazy and it doesn't even have the excuse of being ported from a handheld like COM, Goofy is smarter than anyone else which is both a plus and a minus, Hollow Bastion was nerfed (what the hell is a Radiant Garden), and furthermore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNKxU9eSrNg

Animal Crossing: City Folk - A terribly lazy release. The laziness goes far beyond the game being "more of the same". The game is actually very poorly made, because it was rushed together. Everything about it is watered down. Even the DS version is better, in terms of features and their quality.

The Sims: The Sims 4 - Perhaps even worse than City Folk. The Sims 4 is The Sims series' "City Folk". It does nothing substantial whatsoever to further the franchise. In fact, it takes it back a few steps. No open world, no story progression, no toddlers. Even if you added those back, the game still does nothing whatsoever to warrant being a sequel. They should have scrapped this, because they lost a customer, possibly for good.

Pokemon: Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald - Much, much less terrible than the two above titles, but still disappointing. After playing Gold, Silver, and Crystal, In the past I was mostly peeved by the removal of the day/night/week cycle, because I really felt it brought the series to life. I also did not like the lack of a second region to explore, but I can forgive that.

Futurama: I'm afraid that the movies and most of the 'new' episodes didn't do much for me. I was impressed by the last season for some reason, but the rest of the 'new' Futurama felt really off to me.

MLP:FiM: I have to agree with what I assume is the majority and say that Season 3 was my least favorite. Not bad, I just remember thinking most of the episodes weren't very strong.

Can we include bands? Of course we can!

Chicago - Um... Everything past the 1970s. They completely lost their progressiveness (although that was a steady decline that started in the 70s), they lost their jazziness, and worst of all... They kind of dropped emphasis on the wind section. I know the band has gone many different directions since the 70s, and they may be different now, but I don't know... I haven't listened to any of the new albums much at all. Whatever you can call their sound now, it isn't the great Brass Rock they were known for in the late 60s/70s.

Streetlight Manifesto - I really can't get into "The Hands That Thieve". It's not bad, it just doesn't feel like the rest of their music.

The Beatles - In what may be the most unpopular opinion ever, I may have to say Abbey Road. I've really tried to like it, but I like all of their other albums better. I'm not saying it's objectively the worst, of course... I just don't much care for it, personally.

Aliens Colonial Marines. I will never buy anything that has the Gearbox name on it.

Ugh, I hate it when people say the won't buy a game from a company just because of ONE game. Colonial Marines may have been bad, but look at what else Gearbox brought us: The Half-Life Side Stories (Which were fun to play), Brother in Arms and ESPECIALLY Borderlands 2. That's like me saying I will never buy a Call of Duty Infinity Ward game because Ghosts was absolutely terrible. Their previous games were great, they just made a huge mistake.

• Brohoof 1

Oh and,

The Simpsons:

Now, I'm mostly tolerant for modern Simpsons (believe it or not), but Lisa Goes Gaga was just stupid. It hammered the exact same jokes over and over again (reminds me of Family Guy :P) and it was just there to pander to Lady Gaga fans. Most of the games besides for the Arcade games, Hit and Run and the 360/PS3 game sucked too.

Ugh, I hate it when people say the won't buy a game from a company just because of ONE game. Colonial Marines may have been bad, but look at what else Gearbox brought us: The Half-Life Side Stories (Which were fun to play), Brother in Arms and ESPECIALLY Borderlands 2. That's like me saying I will never buy a Call of Duty Infinity Ward game because Ghosts was absolutely terrible. Their previous games were great, they just made a huge mistake.

well you should stop buying COD. I never was a gearbox fan to start out and after trying to destroy one of my favorite sci fi properties. Also using underhand techniques to sell the game (E3 demo). I will boycott them.

• Brohoof 1

well you should stop buying COD. I never was a gearbox fan to start out and after trying to destroy one of my favorite sci fi properties. Also using underhand techniques to sell the game (E3 demo). I will boycott them.

I get that, I do the same with the COD series and Infinityward/Treyarch/Sledgehammer, but I can't do that with Gearbox if they were to release another BOA(excluding Furious Four stuff), I much rather prefer them back in the old days, they have become so samey such as with Borderlands(don't get me wrong it is a decent game, at least with friends).

I know, many Silent Hill Fans will get angry by my post ( i have already experienced that :huh:  ) but i have to say it :

Silent Hill 2.

I think it is by far the worst entry in the Franchise, altough it seems to be the alltime favorite of almost all Silent Hill Fans.

But i dont like the game  :okiedokielokie:

First ive played SH 3 and then SH 1 and everything that i was expecting from SH 2 just didnt happen.

I thought you could play as a girl because of the cover and because of SH3 - nope.

I was hoping for new blood worlds like in any other entry - nope.

I was expecting a continuation of the silent hill religion story and to learn more about silent hill and its secrets - nope.

I was expecting more good boss monsters - well, there was pyramid head and a ghostgirl...wow...

All what i got was disappointing alternative worlds ( the last level is a old hotel...that wasnt even a nowhere at all!Just many doors that led to nowhere and not on bit of blood ), a storyline complete unreleated to the rest of the series and not important to the canon at all and the last boss battle felt like a joke... :eww:

It felt more like a spinoff than a sequel.

It was a good game and i liked the underground level but it just disappointed me in every way as a silent hill game and i really dont see why its called SH 2... :wacko:

The Story could play in any other City since its more like a ghost or thriller story and was based on a crime novel, so...yeah, it has nothing to do with silent hill at all, except that it plays in it.

And then people gets upset because SH 4 has nothing to do with silent hill...

Well, but i guess im pretty much alone with this statement  :lol:

Skyrim - Let's just take the majority of stuff that made the previous games good and replace it all with dumbed down mechanics, hand holding, and a lack of any real choice. Let's also reuse the same few level designs and puzzle types for every dungeon in the game. And while we're at it, let's make everything scale to player level so we can reuse the same few enemies to populate every dungeon in the game. Also you're forced to grind if you want any remotely powerful gear.

Fallout 3 - We threw numbers into an FPS and called it Fallout so casual CoD kiddies can feel like they're playing an RPG.

Futurama - Most of Season 7. It had it's funny points but wasn't as consistently good as the rest of the season.

Archer - Season 4. See Futurama.

MLP - Season 3 Finale. It was just so bad, I have a blog post on the subject.

• Brohoof 1

Pokémon: Generation II. It's the weakest one imho. u_u No one ever says generation two is their favorite gen, and there's a reason for that.

The Sims 3: It was so broken :( Like, I love the Sims and I obsessively played the Sims 3, but holy cow. The game was glitches and annoyances galore. Hopefully number four is better.

Supernatural: Season six, which is my least favorite season. It was just so boring and Soulless!Sam was just annoying.

>_>

My Little Pony: Season One. I constantly go back and watch the show, but I either skip most episodes in season one or skip that season all together. I'm not quite sure why I loved the show so much when I ended up not really liking the first season. :wat: