Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your thoughts on Midnight Sparkle?

Dawning Demon

She was really something. Definitely loved this design more than Demon Sunset. Tara Strong did such an impressive job at making her sound evil too. You'd almost think it wasn't the same character. 

And…...

….. The resolution just blew my mind! I liked how her feelings for Spike led to her losing, yet ultimately accepting it. 

I'm not completely sold on how it was set up though, to be honest. She never understood magic, meaning the chance of not being able to control it was all too likely. Yet Cinch and the other students pressured her into using it anyway. They should know better. It's like tampering with a bomb with no experience whatsoever in explosives.

And considering that Twilight never meant to hurt anyone, her motivation to destroy the world didn't make much sense. You just don't get that disregard for people without really being driven over the edge first, even after getting doped up on all that power. It kinda worked with Sunset in the first movie because she was already a ruthless bitch. But Twilight never showed contempt towards anyone up to that point, and her innocence was never really lost. I could understand if they made her like Tetsuo Shima, wanting to get back at her school for all the constant bullying, and Sunset for making her feel like a worthless hazard at the field. Instead, she wanted to tear shit up for the sake of knowledge. That is not something that merely being deprived of friendship would do to you. I know this because I used to be an outcast myself.

Still, I'm glad DHX didn't do something stupid like have Cinch steal Twilight's device so SHE can be the demon tearing shit up. I was afraid she was plotting to do something like that the minute she started eavesdropping on the Mane Six. But rather than make her into a typical Disney villain, she stayed in character and used Twilight as a decent, unwilling asset for her own goals. And as someone else pointed out, it was a necessary step for Sunset to go full circle in this series. She is now pretty much exactly what she could have been in Equestria if she hadn't left. Despite that one flaw with Midnight Sparkle, the pay off was worth it and I'm glad the approach was taken.

• Brohoof 1

My only complain is that scene was too short and as ever, a simple spell and POOF, problem solved. But you have to admit that her design is sweet, Tara made her sound evil, and....... she's quite easy on the eyes  :bedeyes:

Gotta admit I was VERY impressed with the final design. MUCH better than the promo art.

I know right? =O She seemed so much fiercer in the movie than they had in the promo art. It was a really cool design :o She was also a lot more threatening than how the Sunset demon was :P
  • Brohoof 2

I loved her design especially seeing it on screen, she looks so evil, but magical at the same time, like Sunset's demon form, but 100 times better!

also found this image of Sunset and Twilight's many forms in the movies lol.

post-5578-0-08991800-1443410458_thumb.png

post-5578-0-66165300-1443410446_thumb.png

post-5578-0-79152700-1443410448_thumb.png

post-5578-0-06343800-1443410451_thumb.png

post-5578-0-72045300-1443410453_thumb.png

post-5578-0-02924100-1443410456_thumb.png

post-5578-0-65116700-1443410459_thumb.png

I found Midnight Sparkle to be a nice parallel from the ending of the first Equestria Girls film and the ending to Friendship Games.

It also helped that she had a much better design then Sunset's evil form did.

Midnight Sparkle had a great design, but I don't think she was used to her full potential sadly.

Still was a great climax, though. I thought Sunset's transformation and design were a lot cooler.

Yeah and I know this sounds stupid to ask, but how exactly did the magic corrupt her? the same way it corrupted Sunset?

Yeah and I know this sounds stupid to ask, but how exactly did the magic corrupt her? the same way it corrupted Sunset?

I'm guessing since, well... friendship is magic, the magic corrupts people who don't understand friendship. Sunset wanted the power rather than understand friendship, here Sci Twi unleashed it recklessly without any understanding it.

It's just my guess, though.

She was great, albeit perhaps one of the biggest teases of a villain ever as she was only around briefly, but the potential was certainly there before regaining her senses. It is what it is and some nifty fan art has come out of it as well. Not too bad.

Edited by UnknownFry

I had no idea Midnight Sparkle was known about before the movie..

Anyways, I thought she was awesome. Her demon-like figure was just well designed, the purple and corruption put together make her...maybe my favorite villain of the show.

I didn't like the instant evil flavor of Midnight Sparkle. It was short lived and the dog snaps her out of it.

To me, evil has to take its time slowly corrupting a good character. The magic TS captures should have started to affect her like changing her personality.

I had no idea Midnight Sparkle was known about before the movie..

Anyways, I thought she was awesome. Her demon-like figure was just well designed, the purple and corruption put together make her...maybe my favorite villain of the show.

Indeed she does have a pretty epic design. I love it! I might say she's my fav villain of all EqG. The show is another thing. Story-wise I think I like the Dazzlings more though. It's not easy for me to make choices when I love them all.  :P

I agree with a lot of other people on here that it was way too short! And she snaps out of it because of a dog. It was a little rushed.

Plus I didn't find 'evil' twilight all that menacing. Overall I thought her design was pretty cute. 

But omg Sunset Shimmer's outfit is so pretty! I was gushing all over with how cute it is. I definitely want a dress like that~ :P

Well she better not look that over the top in the movie, beyond that there's not much I can say other then that I assume she's the main villain of EG3. 

I agree, if she looks that O.P. than I will bang my head on a wall :angry: because you can't make someone look so powerful and have her not be powerful. The EG mane six are good, but can't defeat that. :( 

I agree, if she looks that O.P. than I will bang my head on a wall :angry: because you can't make someone look so powerful and have her not be powerful. The EG mane six are good, but can't defeat that. :( 

Wow this topic is old. The movie has been out for nearly a month now. And don't worry she doesn't look that over the top. 

I was under the impression that Twilight became Midnight Sparkle because of her anxiety, fear, sadness and loneliness corrupted the magic she "Stole" which then turned her into Midnight Sparkle when she merged with it, though it might not have been clear if that was what actually happened in the Movie.

Before I actually watched the Movie, I was expecting Twilight's magic tracker to become sentient and malevolent, a side-effect of stealing and holding magic, and then it was going start controlling her and eventually merge with and corrupt her. When I heard the song "Right in Front of Me" when the OST was released prior to the Movie, I figured that song was going to be about Twilight and her new friends exorcizing this entity and defeating it, or Chrysalis or Nightmare Moon, who I thought might have also been candidates for villain spot, with Twilight realizing she could have had friends all along if she just looked for them(hence the "right in front of me" thing.)

I was a bit disappointed to see my prediction didn't come true in any shape or form, but I hold that Twilght was indeed corrupted by her anxiety, fear, sadness and loneliness. Overall, I liked Midnight Sparkle, but I think they could have been clearer on why she became corrupted.

Surprisingly, I thought she was badass! Way more than what expected. I kinda thought the design would be a bit....weird, but I ended up liking it. The design overall has an awesome color scheme and look (I love the detail with the glasses) and she seemed immensely powerful. IT was awesome to see 'Twilight' have such a badass moment like that, kinda like the Tirek fight, however...that is where I have a problem with her. We pretty much saw nothing from it. Yeah she clearly had the powers to cause a bunch of damage between dimensions, but that is the extent we got to see. No epic battle or fight scene, nothing really displaying her powers at that point, we just got some dimension destruction and a beam struggle. 

I know they have to keep that damn TV-Y rating which is Y (HA) that scene was doomed from the start. That was one of the things I did not like about the movie, that scene, while it was still quite cool, had soooooooo much more potential. 

It is kinda funny how the show about the colorful magical ponies spreading friendship everywhere takes more risks.

I just love Midnight Sparkle's design, even if I usually dislike the design of the humans! I especially like the light from her horn, glasses and wings. Add on, she has an awesome voice, it sounds so evil!