Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Varrack

Ever since finding this fandom I've found that I identify with it more than any other thing really. I can't help but see myself in the ponies and it just seems that by spending time watching them helps me figure out myself on a deep level. It would be cool to tell everyone about this world or simply express your interest by showing off what you like about it.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to do that. My parents simply despise MLP. My mom found out I had been checking out these forums a couple days ago and thought I was going through some odd phase. She told me how dumb all this pony stuff is and that I should drop it and forget about it. The problem with this is that 1) she doesn't understand why MLP is so awesome, and 2) I have formed a connection with this community that makes me want to stay and explore more. I don't honestly believe I will ever leave this all just because someone who doesn't understand it wants me to.

The issue this creates is one in which I can't express myself openly. I can't buy merchandise, put up posters in my room, or even talk about it in public because my family would react so negatively. Here there are many users who have said how their parents don't care or even support them, or they're moved out so it doesn't matter anyway. If you're one of those people, I envy you. Don't take it for granted, because some of us have to be very secretive about it.

That being said, do you think sporting MLP-related clothes or having toys helps you express yourself? Many in the fandom are happy to do so and are proud of doing it, so I think there must be some connection with identity and this show that makes people happy and willing to do it.

• Brohoof 11

Is it really that important to show that you like a cartoon?

Not to you it seems, but then again, I'm simply speaking for myself. I was wondering if others share my sentiments.

Yes, it helps show my enthusiasm, and it feels good when I can be open about it without receiving negative feedback.  I attended Bronycon for the first time this year, and since then I've opened up about my love for the show with my friends and family.  Unfortunately, while most of the reactions were either positive or neutral, my younger sister reacted very negatively, and wouldn't allow me to even talk about it, so I can sympathize with your situation, albeit to a lesser extent.  Personally, I think that it's better to explore and protect one's personal identity than it is to please other people's opinions of who you should be, so I'm not going to stop being open about it on account of her negative reaction.  Like I said, most people I told either took it well or didn't really care one way or the other.

I'm not at the point where I display merchandise in a public setting which is obviously referencing the show, although I do wear a couple of discrete t-shirts and have a Derpy cutie mark decal on my laptop (my way of discretely finding other bronies).  Even those inconspicuous items feel good to show off.

• Brohoof 2

:kindness: I understand EXACTLY what you mean about connecting with the show on a deep and personal level. It's helped almost all facets of my life. :adorkable: I'm a lot like Sunset Shimmer is now, she's my favorite pony because I can relate to her so well.

:ooh: I would say try and strike some sort of deal or compromise with them. If you truly feel the show is a influence for good on you, :grin2: show and demonstrate it. However, I feel if you try and come on strong, it offsets those who you "preach it" to, in a manner of speaking. So I wouldn't neccesarily go for merch quite yet, especially because you're a minor.

:maud: I know some bronies who are pretty decent fans of the show, but only show it in subtle ways, for the exact reason you described; (What society, parents, friends...ect) will think of them. So for example a friend of mine sports a shirt with "gummy" on it. No one really questions it, it's just an alligator on a T-shirt. Other bronies will recognize it, and it will know you're a brony. ;)

:) At the end of the day, what matters most is how you feel about the show. Your parents are your parents. :wub: Most parents love is unconditional and they will love you no matter what. To them it's just a girls show... I wouldn't guess they would hate you or disown you over a children's cartoon.

Edited by Shimmerlicious
  • Brohoof 2

Ever since finding this fandom I've found that I identify with it more than any other thing really. I can't help but see myself in the ponies and it just seems that by spending time watching them helps me figure out myself on a deep level. It would be cool to tell everyone about this world or simply express your interest by showing off what you like about it.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to do that. My parents simply despise MLP. My mom found out I had been checking out these forums a couple days ago and thought I was going through some odd phase. She told me how dumb all this pony stuff is and that I should drop it and forget about it. The problem with this is that 1) she doesn't understand why MLP is so awesome, and 2) I have formed a connection with this community that makes me want to stay and explore more. I don't honestly believe I will ever leave this all just because someone who doesn't understand it wants me to.

The issue this creates is one in which I can't express myself openly. I can't buy merchandise, put up posters in my room, or even talk about it in public because my family would react so negatively. Here there are many users who have said how their parents don't care or even support them, or they're moved out so it doesn't matter anyway. If you're one of those people, I envy you. Don't take it for granted, because some of us have to be very secretive about it.

That being said, do you think sporting MLP-related clothes or having toys helps you express yourself? Many in the fandom are happy to do so and are proud of doing it, so I think there must be some connection with identity and this show that makes people happy and willing to do it.

The ponies raid anything I think about.

• Brohoof 1

The issue this creates is one in which I can't express myself openly. I can't buy merchandise, put up posters in my room, or even talk about it in public because my family would react so negatively.

I would say disregard what your family thinks and continue ponying on, but I don't know your exact situation; unsure if serious enough that they would actually revoke privileges or destroy any MLPFIM things you may own.

I don't know. Chances are that they think you're interested in something of pre-G4 MLP quality or that Bronies, if they are even aware of concept of Bronies, are pedophiles or some other negative stereotype.

Usually I don't understand the purpose of remaining closet Brony, but in your case is understandable.

Edited by Luna the Great

Did you try to explain to your mom what is special about them?

That's what I did with my mom when I first got into ponies. I was like, "Hey mom, guess what? My Little Pony got a reboot, and it's actually so good and entertaining that grown DUDES like it!!" And she was all. "Huh, really? That's interesting!" And now she buys me pony merch and made me MLP blankies, and pillowcases, and I asked her to make a tote bag for me.

Like tell your mom, "Mom they don't just sit around and titter about boys and tea parties. They go out and confront dragons and hydras, and occasionally have giant magic laser battles! The fact that they're little horses just makes it even MORE entertaining." Be confident about it.

That's what I tell people. I tell them (SPOILERS for people not that far into the show), "Look, the last season finale had a purple flying unicorn having a kamehameha magic fight with a three-story, magic-sucking centaur demon in which the flying unicorn got headbutted through a mountain. If you don't find that even the slightest bit awesome, than YOU have a problem, not me."

I can definitely relate to this very much. Towards my siblings and parents I seem completely heartless and emotionless, but what they don't know is that behind a closed door and towards my friends, I am the exact opposite. Don't be afraid of expressing yourself through MLP, it just shows that you have a heart, unlike some people. I remember when I used to cringe at alot of the songs and certain things the ponies did on the show, but now I'm perfectly comfortable with everything.

• Brohoof 1

You're your own person and we only live once in life so live it however you choose. So long as you're happy and you know it's right for you then that's all that should really matter. Be yourself and don't let others tell you how to live your life on this small planet. I'm sure you'll meet someone special who shares the same interests and desires to yourself, just keep strong and keep being you!

I'm sorry about your situation. My parents don't think it is normal (mainly my dad where I overheard him say to my mom that "he wants the pony stuff to stop") but are neutral about it. The moment where I stopped caring on what people thought about me being a Brony was when I saw the documentary "A Brony Tale" at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York City back in 2014.

Completely unrelated

While traveling to the theater to see this documentary, a woman on the train called me fat, and said I look like I ate 20 cheeseburgers. I still find that funny to this day.

Ever since that day, I have not been afraid, and at Bronycon 2015, I was strolling through the streets of Baltimore with my pony gear on, not giving a hoot on what the norms thought. 

I would say that since you are still kind of a new Brony, the people around you will disapprove of it, but after some time, lets hope they wouldn't care anymore. 

Yes, it helps show my enthusiasm, and it feels good when I can be open about it without receiving negative feedback. I attended Bronycon for the first time this year, and since then I've opened up about my love for the show with my friends and family. Unfortunately, while most of the reactions were either positive or neutral, my younger sister reacted very negatively, and wouldn't allow me to even talk about it, so I can sympathize with your situation, albeit to a lesser extent. Personally, I think that it's better to explore and protect one's personal identity than it is to please other people's opinions of who you should be, so I'm not going to stop being open about it on account of her negative reaction. Like I said, most people I told either took it well or didn't really care one way or the other.

I'm not at the point where I display merchandise in a public setting which is obviously referencing the show, although I do wear a couple of discrete t-shirts and have a Derpy cutie mark decal on my laptop (my way of discretely finding other bronies). Even those inconspicuous items feel good to show off.

That's very interesting, and indeed cool that you got to visit bronycon. I really liked your point about it being better to explore/protect one's identity rather than satisfy others' opinions about who you should be

:kindness: I understand EXACTLY what you mean about connecting with the show on a deep and personal level. It's helped almost all facets of my life. :adorkable: I'm a lot like Sunset Shimmer is now, she's my favorite pony because I can relate to her so well.

I would say try and strike some sort of deal or compromise with them. If you truly feel the show is a influence for good on you, show and demonstrate it. However, I feel if you try and come on strong, it offsets those who you "preach it" to, in a manner of speaking. So I wouldn't neccesarily go for merch quite yet, especially because you're a minor.

I know some bronies who are pretty decent fans of the show, but only show it in subtle ways, for the exact reason you described; (What society, parents, friends...ect) will think of them. So for example a friend of mine sports a shirt with "gummy" on it. No one really questions it, it's just an alligator on a T-shirt. Other bronies will recognize it, and it will know you're a brony.

:) At the end of the day, what matters most is how you feel about the show. Your parents are your parents. Most parents love is unconditional and they will love you no matter what. To them it's just a girls show... I wouldn't guess they would hate you or disown you over a children's cartoon.

Those are some great points! I may get some merch that is subtle and not super recognizable to non-bronies. I know my parents have good intentions and simply don't understand, and I'm willing to stay a fan without them needing to know. For me to attempt to get them to understand is a bit risky on my part, as it means that they might think I'm obsessed with it.

The ponies raid anything I think about.

Same, lol

I would say disregard what your family thinks and continue ponying on, but I don't know your exact situation; unsure if serious enough that they would actually revoke privileges or destroy any MLPFIM things you may own.

I don't know. Chances are that they think you're interested in something of pre-G4 MLP quality or that Bronies, if they are even aware of concept of Bronies, are pedophiles or some other negative stereotype.

Usually I don't understand the purpose of remaining closet Brony, but in your case is understandable.

I plan on disregarding what they think. My mom thinks most bronies are gay and weird, which I know to not be true. I think if I can get by without making it obvious that I'm a fan, I'll be in a good camp.

Did you try to explain to your mom what is special about them?

That's what I did with my mom when I first got into ponies. I was like, "Hey mom, guess what? My Little Pony got a reboot, and it's actually so good and entertaining that grown DUDES like it!!" And she was all. "Huh, really? That's interesting!" And now she buys me pony merch and made me MLP blankies, and pillowcases, and I asked her to make a tote bag for me.

Like tell your mom, "Mom they don't just sit around and titter about boys and tea parties. They go out and confront dragons and hydras, and occasionally have giant magic laser battles! The fact that they're little horses just makes it even MORE entertaining." Be confident about it.

That's what I tell people. I tell them (SPOILERS for people not that far into the show), "Look, the last season finale had a purple flying unicorn having a kamehameha magic fight with a three-story, magic-sucking centaur demon in which the flying unicorn got headbutted through a mountain. If you don't find that even the slightest bit awesome, than YOU have a problem, not me."

I know right! Sadly she would probably be like " yeah, whatever". I mean, the story plots and pieces of action really take down the false girly stereotype, and I can definitely see how wording it like that would help that out. I'll think about that.

I can definitely relate to this very much. Towards my siblings and parents I seem completely heartless and emotionless, but what they don't know is that behind a closed door and towards my friends, I am the exact opposite. Don't be afraid of expressing yourself through MLP, it just shows that you have a heart, unlike some people. I remember when I used to cringe at alot of the songs and certain things the ponies did on the show, but now I'm perfectly comfortable with everything.

Man we're like twins. I am pretty introverted in real life but I just am really into the excitement this show brings even though I'm hesitant to tell me family.

You're your own person and we only live once in life so live it however you choose. So long as you're happy and you know it's right for you then that's all that should really matter. Be yourself and don't let others tell you how to live your life on this small planet. I'm sure you'll meet someone special who shares the same interests and desires to yourself, just keep strong and keep being you!

Thanks! :D

I'm sorry about your situation. My parents don't think it is normal (mainly my dad where I overheard him say to my mom that "he wants the pony stuff to stop") but are neutral about it. The moment where I stopped caring on what people thought about me being a Brony was when I saw the documentary "A Brony Tale" at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York City back in 2014.

Completely unrelated

While traveling to the theater to see this documentary, a woman on the train called me fat, and said I look like I ate 20 cheeseburgers. I still find that funny to this day.

Ever since that day, I have not been afraid, and at Bronycon 2015, I was strolling through the streets of Baltimore with my pony gear on, not giving a hoot on what the norms thought.

I would say that since you are still kind of a new Brony, the people around you will disapprove of it, but after some time, lets hope they wouldn't care anymore.

Exactly. That's a goal I hope I can reach, and it's awesome to have a fandom that isn't afraid of being who they are and expressing themselves in the way they see fit. :)

It can be hard, just know that you are not alone. We are all on here because we want to have an outlet and safe place to be ourselves. I work in education with Elementary School kids and High School. Its fun because i told a group of my 3rd graders that I liked MLP and the Girls thought it was cool, they ask about my collection and think it is fun that an adult likes the show. One little boy tried to tease me for liking a "girl show" almost immediately  one of the girls said "There no such thing as a boys or girl show, I like the color black and Darth Vader and I'm a girl!" After class another boy came up to me and said that he watches the show online because he doesn't want his older brothers to see it on the Netflix history. I am open with the little ones because i want to show them that its ok to be yourself and there will always be someone who has your back. For me at that moment it was a little 8 year old girl. Your parents might never understand but no matter what they are your parents and they still care. Im sure there was a time when your parents cared about something that your grandparents despised! They just forgot, history will always has a way to repeat itself. Just remember these moments when your older in the future and your kids have an interest that may seem a little different.... 

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I told my dad I've been watching MLP, and explained why I like it. Now he wants to watch some with me. So I'm proud to report that I've been getting a lot more fortunate lately :)

• Brohoof 4

Just be ready for him to not like the show perhaps. That's the reaction I get from my father and brother who watched a little bit of the castle sweet castle episode when I had it recorded and was gone and were geniuinly disliking how girly it was. My dad is supportive at least though. He even went into my room for some work on the closet and said twilight sparkle kept him company xD

As far as pony merchandise goes, I don't have any yet. I don't think I'd wear an obvious pony shirt in public, but I might do a keychain or a button.

My family pretty much had a neutral reaction, with my dad saying, "If that's what makes you happy, I don't care." So I can't really help on that front.

I told my dad I've been watching MLP, and explained why I like it. Now he wants to watch some with me. So I'm proud to report that I've been getting a lot more fortunate lately :)

Just be ready for him to not like the show perhaps. That's the reaction I get from my father and brother who watched a little bit of the castle sweet castle episode when I had it recorded and was gone and were geniuinly disliking how girly it was.

You might show your dad some of the adventure-type episodes to start with, and see how he reacts. I'm sure you can find suggestions for which episodes would be best for that.

The Tirek episodes would be a good start. Epics battles might help him to see that it isn't just some show about some girly stereotypes running around giggling or some such stuff.

Is you dad a Star Trek fan? If so, Any episode that has Discord in it might be a good option as well, especially the first one he was in.

• Brohoof 1

Show them you're above their comprehension, while still remaining polite. Explain the show's values, bring them on, one by one. Make them sit down and listen to you. Speak clearly, without fear, like you wouldn't have otherwise. Make resonance, get information about their childhood, find co-relation and familiarity.

Your parent don't own you, they just contributed with genetic material, for your current physical vessel. That's about it.

I've taken care of similar elements within my family already. Of course, I won't put ut with any insolence against myself, much less from creatures of such an obtuse line of thought, like some human beings. Primitive ones.

• Brohoof 1

When I told my parents, they were just kind of, " ok, cool" about it. They don't really care. I don't have any merchandise though, because I can't buy it myself and don't want to ask to get anything. I think I will though, as my birthday is next week and I'll be getting birthday money. Anyway, advice time. I say you should just do what you want, ignoring criticism.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I always considdered this to be personal. Something i'm ok with people knowing that i like it but i don't need to rubb it in their faces.

And tbh i always considderd buying fandom merch wierd. There are somanny better ways to connect to the fandom like art, writing, making videos or plushies.

Yes, it definitely made me who I am today. First I was a silent shy guy, but now I'm a somewhat less silent less shy guy. :D

Wearing pony shirts and stuff made me more secure, and more capable to talk to people. (How that came to be is a loooong story, and I'm not going to tell it here.)