S05:E16 Made in Manehattan  

152 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT <3

Overall, this is another episode that, for me, is just "there" - nothing egregiously bad, but nothing particularly interesting or engaging, either. This episode's creators seemed to be pushing Coco Pommel to be as endearing as possible in her utter meekness, innocence, good intentions, facial expressions, etc. And I'm okay with how she's portrayed, for the most part, although I don't ultimately care all that much about her character. Also, most of the references in this episode I either don't get or don't really care about. Since I don't really have any big-picture issues with the episode, I'll just write my observations here in episode order.

Twilight has seriously read all of the hundreds of books in the crystal castle library? She must have a lot of spare time, unless most of them are new copies of the same books she read prior to the crystal castle popping out of the ground.

How would Twilight fail to notice that her cutie mark was not "summoning" her? From what we've seen, it's pretty obvious when that occurs.

Twilight's being bored and saying that "things have been so slow around here" just raises the question of why Twilight isn't doing anything as the Princess of Friendship. After all, in "Twilight's Kingdom", Twilight says that she knows that her role as a princess is to spread the power of friendship across Equestria. But what has she been doing day-to-day to fulfill that role? Maybe, as others have suggested, she ought to be more proactive in spreading friendship, rather than waiting around for the Cutie Map to send her somewhere, while being so bored that she's read every book in the crystal castle library.

If Rarity and Twilight have been dying to go back to Manehattan for a visit, then why hasn't either of them just done so? It's not like (as far as we know) Rarity and Twilight have been forbidden from going there unless the Cutie Map sends them. Perhaps Rarity has been busy with her business, and the Cutie Map summoning her provides a convenient excuse to take a few days off. But then why hasn't Twilight gone, especially since multiple episodes have made the point that Twilight is bored and hasn't been doing much of anything? Maybe, as I suggested in my post on "The Lost Treasure of Griffinstone", the Mane Six aren't willing to spend their own money traveling to these places, but are happy to be summoned there by the Cutie Map and thus have their travel expenses paid for by the government/taxpayers.

How can Twilight and Rarity tell which particular Manehattan neighborhood Rarity and Applejack have been summoned to? It hardly looks as though the map is detailed enough to be able to make out such information, not to mention that Rarity's and Applejack's cutie marks appear to be circling some spot outside the city.

Applejack's cluelessness about "the big city" - her shock at the speed at which Manehattan carriage ponies move, her incompetence at crossing the street, and failing to get anyone's attention about the friendship problem - is rather stupid. Applejack has been to "the big city", and Manehattan in particular, before, so she ought to have some inkling of how "the big city" works. When Applejack is crossing the street, there's clearly plenty of room to maneuver around ponies going the opposite direction; the pedestrians are not densely packed at all. And how much faster would ponies hauling carriages in a big city with lots of pedestrians be, really?

Wouldn't Rarity and Applejack, being from out of town, not be particularly appropriate for recruiting help for a local event intended to bring the local community together? Wouldn't Rarity and Applejack not have any memories of it or have much idea (or ability) of how to convince locals of its value in trying to get them to volunteer?

Why is the community park so badly maintained? Is it not the job of the city government to maintain a public park? Or is it actually a private park, and if so, who is the owner who has neglected maintenance for so long?

I don't know how the push mower Applejack is using could shred her hat so easily; I would think that doing so would require quite a bit more force than what Applejack is using, assuming that the mower's blades would even be capable of cutting the hat in the first place.

It's hard for me to see how putting on a play next to the the street, and which seemingly no one had planned on watching, could have actually brought this Manehattan community together. While I admit that I'm not a theater aficionado, I found what we saw of the play just boring, and it's difficult for me to believe that the play is riveting enough that a bunch of hustle-and-bustle Manehattanites -  including little kids, a construction worker, upper-class ponies, etc. - would all drop what they're doing and watch it.

Most of the ponies watching the play are just sitting in the middle of the street. Was that street preemptively closed off with the permission/assistance of the city government? Or were all the carriage ponies, etc. really okay with just finding other routes? 

Finally, since when would ponies in attendance at a play assist Coco Pummel in (unintentionally) crowd surfing to the front stage? What is this, a rock concert?

• Brohoof 1

Huh, maybe this is unpopular, but I really enjoyed this episode! Then again I might be a liiiittle biased, because Coco and Rarijack :P

I'm pretty sure they're building to something with all the "Twilight being disappointed the map doesn't call her" moments...I assume so anyway, otherwise there didn't really seem to be a point to making such a thing of her being ~soooooo bored~? It was cute I guess *shrug*

As for Rarijack, I've seen some people complaining that they didn't fight or bicker enough, but I actually really liked that - it shows how far their friendship is come, and how much more they understand and support each other (though still have their differences, like AJ rolling her eyes at Rarity's fashion policing  XD) now :kindness:  I think AJ was more interesting in this ep though - she didn't feel OOC for me at all, but then I've always kinda headcanoned her as being uncomfortable in the big city/at formal events etc because she didn't have a good time staying there as a filly? Anyway, I really liked getting to see another side of her, since she's usually so confident of everything in Ponyville - just the scene with her crossing the street illustrated that really well, I thought, it was really relatable? Also they didn't go for the obvious "simple country folk don't get city life" gags - it seemed to me anyway, it was more that AJ had this image of herself as a smalltown pony with nothing to contribute to the big city, but the ep was all about everypony coming together, and as Rarity said, AJ discovering she might have more in common with them than she thought (even if she might not like to admit it) - there doesn't have to be a divide between small town/big city ponies, and everyone can do their bit to contribute  :) 

(And obligatory shipper squee moment: AJ catching Rarity when she fainted! Rarity buying AJ a new hat! I know there were more little moments/looks between them that I can't remember now, but I just love these two together so much :wub: )

Also: Coco!!!! :D  I do agree it would have been nice if she had actually DONE more, but she was ridiculously adorable as ever and I love that we got a little of her backstory - how she looked up to Charity whatsherface (only just watched the ep so I can't remember all the details XD), and how much the play meant to her - it makes a lot of sense for her to take the costume designing route rather than the pony equivalent of high fashion, and makes her a more interesting character IMO, having her be based in pony-Brooklyn and wanting to bring the community together with the play. And I loved her little exchange with AJ about the "boots" expression - so cute, and one of those tiny little character moments that somehow adds so much, that this show does so well <3

The moral of this episode was also really nice - about everyone being able to do their bit to contribute to the community, however big or small, and how the crowd of ponies watching the play slowly grew felt very natural - I also liked that the first pony to notice was a colt, a nice bit of going against gender stereotypes there c: In general the Manehattan setting was used really well imo, by focusing on a different theme/part of the city than Rarity Takes Manehattan. Though the solution did maybe come a bit quickly, it was also nice to have a low-drama ep with no disasters or monsters or anything like that, so yeah, I liked this one a lot  ^^

I found it very annoying and lazy of the writers to completely overlook the fact that Applejack was raised in Manehattan, and thus shouldn't really have been that nervous at all.  Coco Pommel came out of her shell a bit as well, which was nice.  So a lot of ponies going out-of-character!

I almost died at boredom. A good moral and one, two good AJ/Rarity scenes cant save it. I dont get the Coco Pommel hype either. Especially from people who say Fluttershy isnt cute. Oh well. New worst episode this season for me.

Edited by Swifty

This was a cute episode and I've always liked AJ-Rarity being paired up.  I was actually hoping to see AJ's Manehattan relatives in this one or at least a reminiscence about the time she lived here as a filly.  Her discomfort with Manehattan almost gives the impression that she has never spent time here.  But clearly a fast-paced urban setting just isn't her style.  Anyway, it was nice to finally see Coco once again. 

My headcanon about AJ's hat once being her dad's or having some other special significance ended when the damaged hat was thrown in the trash and replaced. 

Noted that line about them missing the Sisterhooves Social...a kind of nod to next week's Brotherhooves Social? 

Okay, I have to say one big thing here, the morals lately in the episodes have been amazing. they really have. I have enjoyed the morals most in this season more than any other season already. This one in particular was just awesome. Showing people that you don't need to do the greatest thing ever to succeed or to contribute is a good thing to remind anyone of I think.

As for the episode, I quite enjoyed it. Seeing Coco again was awesome, she is a cute character, and the vibe to this episode felt really nice, I loved the humor in it, Rarity just hits it so well. :P My one major complaint would have to be the somewhat abrupt ending where they resolve the issue, it kinda felt like it came out of nowhere, but there are time constraints so I suppose I cannot complain much. 

3 episodes with Rarity being at the forefront in a row. That is something. Rarity fans are super squeeing at this point. :3

• Brohoof 2

Made in Manehattan was adorable. Nice to see Coco returning, And when we thought she couldn't get any cuter, we get glimpses of her filly life! Hnnnghh...

So, Twilight is bored of her skull with reading huh? Don't worry Twi, pretty sure you'll get a mission soon. And it's great to see all the Manehattan ponies coming to see the Midsummer Festival an having a good time while getting along. The moral was handled decently. Oh, and that Peanuts reference sure was a neat touch. Rarity and AJ are always amusing when together and they certainly did not disappoint. I shall post my thoughts on the movie later on.

Another forgettable episode, for me.  The last three have just felt...off.  It's becoming harder to simply pay attention during a lot of these season 5 episodes...I can barely recall what happened in many of them.  Some have been downright off-putting (I think...I can't really remember them!).

Hmm, somebody needs to sing "You'll Play Your Part" to Twilight again.  :lol:

Anyways, overall, this was a good episode. I simply adore its message--these are the kind of episodes that make me proud to be a fan of MLP. Compared to the past two episodes, however, I did find its content to be somewhat lacking, but in spite of this, "Made in Manehattan" still gets a thumbs up from me. :) 

P.S. Did anyone else initially think that Applejack was going to break into song while working the park? 

• Brohoof 4

Love the episode. I normally don't like rarity episodes, but these last two have been simply divine darling! 

Not to mention that there is finally a rarity song I actually like! 

Also kinda hope this makes people think better of AJ after seeing her work and suffer like that...

She may not be my favorite pony, but I've always loved her for who she is. I can appreciate her for all her integrity and hard work. In fact, one of my top reasons for loving this episode is her. Perhaps more so than Rarity. When I took the personality quiz, I was actually pretty close to AJ. I'm also from the southwest. I'm trying not to think of stereotypes.  :lol: Anyways, who wouldn't love her for her comical skepticism of Rarity?  :smug:

Also a character passed by that was clearly modeled after Charlie Brown.

I had NOT noticed this!! Thanks for pointing it out :D

I went back and had a look

09bnLo5.png

For the young'ins not familiar with Peanuts, here's Charlie Brown with his signature shirt, football and curly hair (singular)

image-16_zpsb36114b7.jpg

Edited by manic
  • Brohoof 3

I blogged my main thought about the episode. I'll link it here if it's alright: https://mlpforums.com/blog/819/entry-18159-s05e16-made-in-manehattan-important-thing-to-point-out/

Additionally, more generally speaking, the episode was quite nice to watch. I enjoyed it a bit more than the previous ones. The character interactions between Rarity and AJ were just entertaining; natural. Rarity tended to be soaring and AJ brought her a little back to earth, so they are a nice team there, but they are also both hard workers, so that similarity increases the enjoyment of watching them on a shared adventure.

Twilight in the beginning... Oh how I know her plight, haha. (On a much graver level than her though. But she was amusing to watch.)

Edited by Dowlphin
  • Brohoof 2

Yes, I've got three Rarity episodes in a row, she's my favorite pony and I couldn't be more happy about what she have delivered these past three week-ends.

Now, this episode was awesome. We got the return of Coco Pommel, she's adorable. AJ got to go on a mission, which was awesome and she did awesomely. Such a hunk. <333

Also I got some Rarijack shipping going on. Nothing can stop me! Oh and let me point out that they for once got along really well, they're developing neatly.

OH and sorry for the headcanon break-up about AJ's hat, everypony. I didn't think much of it but I bet there were plenty others out there who had touching headcanons 'bout it. Shed your tears.

Edited by darkwingmare
  • Brohoof 2

RIP in pieces Applejack's hat

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140310105756/mlp/images/b/b1/Hats_and_bows_about_to_fall_down_S4E17.png

Nah she got planty in her closet remember That from umm shoot forgot the episode ittle bu was applesbloom and home alone and stuff.

P.S. Did anyone else initially think that Applejack was going to break into song while working the park?

Hehe it's mlp they have more songs hen disney so yeah was like "song any minute now...any minute now.." was kidn of glad there was no cheesy song

Edited by BlinkZ